New ads

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2007 in Community
You may notice a few new ads. Of course, one of our new advertisers is a company that we've long supported and had a great relationship with over the years. Its time to bring that relationship to the next level, and so if you do want to purchase hardware from newegg, of course we wouldn't mind if you clicked any of the newegg buttons to get there ;)

We have also implemented, on a trial basis, IntelliTXT ads in a very few select areas of the site. You may not ever see them, but we have put them in areas that get extremely high "guest" traffic. Most of the places we've put them are areas where regular members never go anyway. If you happen to see them, please don't think this site will go all green n' ugly on you - we're going to be very selective about where they go, and we understand that the usability and aesthetics is very important to our core membership. Remember, we're all daily users too.

Thanks for your continued support! :)

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    of course we wouldn't mind if you clicked any of the Newegg buttons to get there
    Remember, we're all daily users too.
    Quotes for emphasis, heh. If you go through one of our Newegg ads to buy your next system, you will be doing the site an outstanding favor.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I saw the Newegg banner just before I opened this thread. Wow! Congratulations!
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Yeah big news!

I must say NewEgg does get all my business.

Yesterday I was looking through my newegg account and totaled up all my past orders...:eek:...it was a lot of green....

good deal though :bigggrin:
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited February 2007
    Newegg doesn't deliver to Canada.. and that kinda %$#^ me off, but hey, I'm all for the ads!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Well, looks like the mATX PC I'm buying is going to be on SM clickthroughs. ;) w00t! I approve of this COMPLETELY (Not that you need it, but I'm usually a bastard about adverts).
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I'll remember to click through the Newegg banner here for all of my future orders. Too bad I didn't notice it when I placed my last order on Wednesday!
  • edited February 2007
    Would you please answer following three questions if you would so kind to me?

1. Why is the “Once You Know, You Newegg” ad, located beneath Calender link at General Software forum, linked to kqzyfj.com/click-2296689-10440559 not to www.newegg.com, Newegg, Inc’s (Newegg) website? :confused:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=22589&stc=1&d=1171665096
    (I thought the ad spammy, since the ad says the Newegg’s trademark ((Once you know...)), but the ad is not linked to the Newegg’s website)

2. Who owns the kqzyfj.com website?:confused:
    (I have never heard of the website, suspected its owner’s negative activities ((i.e. phish, scam, spam, spread malwares…etc)), googled kqzyfj.com’s info, including owner of the website, with the words kqzyfj.com and Web option, but could not get those info at the search.)

3. Although the kqzyfj.com is rated Green by SiteAdvisor (1), does not owner of the website phish, spam, scam, or spread malwares via the website?:confused:
    (When I click the ad on Firefox 2, IE7, or Opera, it displays “Unable to connect” page, and I cannot connect to the website; I doubted for the negative activities.)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=22591&stc=1&d=1171666171

Extra questions unrelated to this topic:
    4. Why has "Unable to connect page" been displayed and have I not been able to visit www.sarcnet.com for about a year and three months, since I joined Short-Media, when I click sarcnet industries, inc ad at upper right corner of this Short-Media’s website on those web browsers? :confused2
    attachment.php?attachmentid=22592&d=1171669517
    attachment.php?attachmentid=22593&d=1171669528

5. Does the sarcnet.com exist? Just curious about the website.

If I should post my, above questions in a new thread at this Short-Media's website, please tell me to do so; I will delete this post, and post the questions in the new thread. :)

Thank you for your time and answers!:smiles:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    The banner you referred to linked me directly to newegg.com. The sarcnet banner goes directly to sarcnet.com

However, to answer your question, kqzyfj.com is owned and operated by valueclick.com, a legitimate company listed on the NYSE under the ticker VCLK:

Registrant:
    Commission Junction
    530 East Montectio St.
    Santa Barbara, CA 93103
    US

Domain Name: KQZYFJ.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    Mexia, David dmexia@valueclick.com
    ValueClick, Inc.
    30699 Russel Ranch Rd
    Suite 250
    Westlake Village, CA 91362
    US
    818-575-4712 fax: 818-575-4501

Record expires on 05-Apr-2007.
    Record created on 05-Apr-2004.
    Database last updated on 16-Feb-2007 18:24:49 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.MEDIAPLEX.COM 64.158.223.64
    NS2.MEDIAPLEX.COM 64.70.10.79
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Helpneed wrote:
    Would you please answer following three questions if you would so kind to me?

1. Why is the “Once You Know, You Newegg” ad, located beneath Calender link at General Software forum, linked to kqzyfj.com/click-2296689-10440559 not to www.newegg.com, Newegg, Inc’s (Newegg) website? :confused:

(I thought the ad spammy, since the ad says the Newegg’s trademark ((Once you know...)), but the ad is not linked to the Newegg’s website)

Because that is how we get compensated for running that newegg ad. The link goes through a third party site that tracks the link and the purchase so that we get credit for "landing the sale". There's nothing spammy about it, it's merely a way for newegg to track where the sales are coming from so that they can pay the commission.
    Helpneed wrote:
    2. Who owns the kqzyfj.com website?:confused:
    (I have never heard of the website, suspected its owner’s negative activities ((i.e. phish, scam, spam, spread malwares…etc)), googled kqzyfj.com’s info, including owner of the website, with the words kqzyfj.com and Web option, but could not get those info at the search.)

3. Although the kqzyfj.com is rated Green by SiteAdvisor (1), does not owner of the website phish, spam, scam, or spread malwares via the website?
    (When I click the ad on Firefox 2, IE7, or Opera, it displays “Unable to connect” page, and I cannot connect to the website; I doubted for the negative activities.)

Helpneed wrote:
    Extra question unrelated to this topic:
    Why has "Unable to connect page" been displayed and have I not been able to visit www.sarcnet.com for about a year and three months, since I joined Short-Media, when I click sarcnet industries, inc ad at upper right corner of this Short-Media’s website on those web browsers?

Sarcnet exists - that's my hosting company. In addition to hundreds of other sites, we host short-media.com

Why you can not get to sarcnet.com, i have no idea. I assure you it's up and running.
    edited February 2007
    Helpneed wrote:
    Why is the “Once You Know, You Newegg” ad, located beneath Calender link at General Software forum, linked to kqzyfj.com/click-2296689-10440559
    It's the referral site that tracks how many clicks it gets before it sends you to NewEgg.
    Helpneed wrote:
    I thought the ad spammy
    It's not.
    Helpneed wrote:
    2. Who owns the kqzyfj.com website?
    A third-party referral program.
    Helpneed wrote:
    3. Although the kqzyfj.com is rated Green by SiteAdvisor (1), does not owner of the website phish, spam, scam, or spread malwares via the website?
    No. C'mon, do you really think I'm putting infected ads on the site? :rolleyes: Give me a little credit.
    Helpneed wrote:
    Why has "Unable to connect page" been displayed and have I not been able to visit www.sarcnet.com for about a year and three months, since I joined Short-Media, when I click sarcnet industries, inc ad at upper right corner of this Short-Media’s website on those web browsers?
    I have no idea; that's an issue on your end. It works fine for me and I've never heard of anyone else having trouble connecting to it.

//edit: Looks like Brian and I tag-teamed that one, heh.
    edited February 2007
    I'm not disputing that you can't reach it, i'm just saying that the problem must be on your end, since it works fine for everyone else that I checked with.

The IP is 209.124.56.72. See if you can ping it.

Do an NSLOOKUP to see if and where name resolution is failing, etc.

Really, it's probably not worth the effort. It's a crappy site anyway ;):D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Helpneed wrote:

Worked for me just now...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Also prime, I'm a bigtime ad hater, but I love this site. I don't think it would hurt me or anyone else if you put an add in the white space at the top of the page. I think it can be done in an aesthetically pleasing manner and should improve income especially on the main forum page.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I'm spamming at this point... but hey, I was just in the pub and clicked on the newegg ad, and guess what? Page cannot be found.... hrm.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Glad I saw this thread. I just clicked through and ordered some different RAM. The Winhec stuff runs, but not as advertised. It posts as 5-5-5-15 and was advertised as 4-4-4-12. Spec sheet says it only runs 266 at those specs.
    Ordered the OCZ Crossfire certified instead ;)

Good for SM, good for Newegg, good for me :)
    edited February 2007
    RWB wrote:
    I'm spamming at this point... but hey, I was just in the pub and clicked on the newegg ad, and guess what? Page cannot be found.... hrm.
    I just checked them and they worked for me... have you had this happen more than that one time? :-/
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited February 2007
    As you all probably know, I work for an ISP and we do a lot of computer repair. Now that we have a Newegg link I will be sure to go through it to make any purchases. We use Newegg all the time to buy hardware for machines that need it. God I love this site! Keep up the good work guys.
    edited February 2007
    That is very awesome, Clutch. Awesome x 12 :D

Thanks!
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited February 2007
    Unfortunately, I don't see any ads on any websites...;)

But kudos to short-media and newegg!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Man, I just bought a bunch of stuff from Newegg and I hadn't noticed the banner yet. Next time I consumer whore, SM will be foremost in my thoughts :D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    ADS? I LOVE ADS.
    seriously though, i do. I also understand that something has to pay for the site, or else someone has to.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited February 2007
    Tell you what, I'll click through.. runup a shopping cart filled with $$$$$$ of items, then when I go to check out, I'll input my Canadian address!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I approve. Not that it matters a whole hell of a lot. ;)
    edited February 2007
    For those who are interested in purchasing Apple hardware and software, we also have a marketing relationship with MacMall. We'll see about getting MacMall ads up in the hardware areas or maybe the alternative OS areas.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Clutch wrote:
    As you all probably know, I work for an ISP and we do a lot of computer repair. Now that we have a Newegg link I will be sure to go through it to make any purchases. We use Newegg all the time to buy hardware for machines that need it. God I love this site! Keep up the good work guys.

I think it might have something to do with Spybot's HOSTS file additions...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Yep.... HOST file blocks the linking to newegg.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited February 2007
    Wait, I'm lost. Where did Spybot come into play? lol.
    edited February 2007
    I think RWB meant to quote zero.counter... but I could be wrong because I'm plenty confused too ;D
    edited February 2007
    whomever uses Spybot Search & Destroy's "immunize" feature will have those ads blocked, as it adds those domains to your hosts file.