First Multiplayer Game You Played?

Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
edited November 2003 in Gaming
What was your first multiplayer pc game you played?

Mine was Doom on my 100mhz packard bell across the phone line with my friend.

2 player deathmatch at its best!

Comments

• McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited November 2003
    Gotta be Super Spike V-Ball for NES
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Quake on AMD K6-200, 1997
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited November 2003
    Believe it or not,

CS on P4 1.7GHz Compaq 2001
    Geforce2MX200
    1.5up/down cable

OMGOMGOMO%$!%!@$ NOOB!
  • CreepCreep Hell Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Team Fortress Classic on an AMD K6/2-500 and a Voodoo 4!
  • edited November 2003
    HL (Team fortress) on a 800Mhz celly @ 1100Mhz with a GeForce2Mx-400
  • DragstkDragstk Syracuse, N.Y.
    edited November 2003
    Quake ll on a 450 Mhz. Pentium
  • SouriatSouriat Nottingham, UK
    edited November 2003
    Internet wise, Duke 3D on wireplay, with my uber p2 233 and some ancient ATI card it came with :)
  • BusterBuster New York
    edited November 2003
    Subspace (now known as Continuum) on a Packard Bell with a 166mhz Pentium, still find myself playing that game no matter how old it gets it will always be a great game.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited November 2003
    Blood on Mplayer. And you n00bs, Quake TF is the true TF!
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2003
    I played Warcraft II before battle.net came along, modem to modem with my best friend on an old Acer computer we had.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    internet wise, it would be starcraft on a cryix 333 with 2mb intergrated video, it was the first game i play extensively online for a long period of time.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited November 2003
    Descent on a 200Mhz Compaq/2MB Matrox Video/Win95/56k!
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited November 2003
    I forgot to add doom was over a 14.4k modem :D ah, the speed...
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Starcraft...u just cant beat it...

then came Half-Life...needed bigger cans of spray paint!
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited November 2003
    Duke 3d battles between Neuromancer and I.
    First REAL multiplayer experience??? Quake on HEAT.net. Remember HEAT? :p
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited November 2003
    internet wise was the original Diablo (I think)

console..geez I've forgotten
  • Mr_BojinglesMr_Bojingles Northern Michigan New
    edited November 2003
    paroxym had this to say

I don't know if I actually used it but I do remember signing up for it at one point.... :crazy:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I used to play a soccer game against my sister on our Atari 130XE. I don't remember if there were any bofore that... That was a long time ago!

No, wait!

I think it was before that: My friend Darius and I used to play Paperboy in 2 player mode, on his Commadore.

Wait...

Did Nintendo come out before that? I remember Darius was also the first kid on the block with an NES. His dad got it for him the day it hit the shelves, and we played Super Mario together for weeks!

Hmm...

I'm getting my timeline mixed up...

Well, I remember the first multiplayer game that you didn't have to share a screen with your buddy was Doom, and I was there. I was namn good too. Then games started comming out that had a namn Z-axis... Shot my game to hell. I've sucked at FPSs ever since.

mr_bojingles3264 had this to say
    paroxym had this to say

I don't know if I actually used it but I do remember signing up for it at one point.... :crazy:

I was the Heat Intercollegiate Gamming League Team Captain for Cincinnati State. Zanthian was a Captain for NKU. And, CrazyJoe was a Captain for UC. We each got a package of ten T-Shirts to give to our respective team members. We just kept the shirts.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Legend of the Red Dragon. A BBS game by the great Seth Able.

On a 286 with a 12 inch orange and black screen. Blazing fast 20mhz-ish speed processor, made by AMD (licensed from Intel). 30mb hard drive. 2400 baud modem. PC Speaker sound. I still have almost every part of this system. It was fully functional when I took it apart 2 years ago to mod it's box (which turned out to be about 2mm too small to hold a full ATX mobo :banghead: ). I still use the ancient, massive powersupply to test drives and fans.

The only parts I can't find now are the HD and Floppy.

Here's some glamour shots :) (I should never be given access to digital cameras)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I'd like to encase this old CPU in a glass sphere or something neat like that. I'm just... that big of a nerd :)
  • edited November 2003
    decent, used to play with my best friend over our 14.4 modems :)

i didn't play doom over multiplayer because i didn't know multiplayer doom even existed! infact i didn't play doom until i was like 12 or 13 because the game gave me nightmares when i was a kid.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited November 2003
    Pong, on a then top of the line, well Pong machine.

then came 2 player donky kong on a TI 99/4a

and the first on the web had to be doom, over 14.4 k dial up.

things sure have come a long way since the good ole days of pong. btw there is an updated version of Pong coming out that will support 4 player simutanious play.
    sounds like quite a gheym
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    My first multiplayer game was College Town, a MOO. The first one I liked was Age of Legends (Wheel of Time RPG MUD), and the first one I excelled at was Ground Zero (Pure-PK MUD). Of the three, none are still up, though Ground Zero II is around. It doesn't have as many players as it used to though.

The first conventional game I ever played non-hot seat multiplayer was the MacPlay version of Descent on my Apple Performa 6200CD with my buddy over 14.4KBps direct dial-up (I dialed up his Mac). My first multiplayer PC game was MechWarrior 3, which I'm still fairly good at multiplayer-wise. The game had lousy multiplayer code, so not a whole lot of people were very good at it.

First console multiplayer was Super Mario Bros. in two-player, though that wasn't nearly as good as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game for NES. The only time I ever really got along with my sister (she was Michelangelo, I was Raphael).

-drasnor :fold:

PS Xenogeared, your avatar reminds me of my current desktop.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Clutch had this to say
    I played Warcraft II before battle.net came along, modem to modem with my best friend on an old Acer computer we had.

Dude... exactly the same for me. Acer computer, best friend, War2, and all. His modem would overheat though so we had to keep our games short :). Man, that Acer was the most robust 33MHz computer ever.

Only truly got into multiplayer with Starcraft on bnet. I think I spent a whole summer doing that, hehe...
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    My first Bnet expierience was rather screwed. First game I played (SC), I got pwned by a cheater. Damn guy had like a 100 siege tanks army in less than 2 mins.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I think my first multiplayer game was Quake2 in 1996 when I got broadband.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    first multiplayer I played would be quake 2 I think.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited November 2003
    rise of the triad over a direct modem to modem connect with my friend. 1995

before that it would have been an atari console and pick a game...

We also had an intellivision pong game and a coleco vision which had graphics that owned atari...

Gobbles
  • edited November 2003
    Descent, on the ol' 486 DX 66. A friend and I tried many games before that, but Descent was the first one we could get working).

Some 2D VLBUS video card... brand name began with an "S"...
    Generic mono 8-bit sound card
    Generic SCSI 2X CDROM (connected to the soundcard)
    Maxtor 520MB HDD
    8 Megs of RAM (30-pin SIMMs)
    CTX 14" monitor
    14.4Kb modem

THe floppy drive from that machine is still much in use today (over 10 years old now). Everything else from the system is long gone (threw away some of it's ISA components a couple weeks ago).
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I remember my first nintendo came with the SuperSpike V-ball/World cup Soccer game with the infrared 4-player controller w/turbo.

As far as PC goes, it would probably be Warcraft 2 or Duke Nukem of Kali!!! I actually paid the $20. Does anyone remember Kahn?