Blizzard announces Diablo III

2»

Comments

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Hellforge/Skill-Tree-Updates

This sounds really good to me. Any thoughts others?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    My power-gamer sense is tingling.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited May 2009
    Sweet fancy Moses! I think I just peed a little. As a huge fan of the Diablo series and a veteran WOW player this whole concept is really exciting. It opens up a whole world of character customization. Has anyone heard whether or not characters will be able to "respec" in Diablo III if they screw up a build? I'd prefer that over creating multiple copies of each class until you find the skill set you like.

Norge
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    i heard yes to re-specing. i hope it's done similarly to Titan quest (exponential gold increase to respec a point)
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    i heard yes to re-specing. i hope it's done similarly to Titan quest (exponential gold increase to respec a point)

agreed
    edited May 2009
    I could go for something like that. It might give gold some sort of value in the game. Something that was lacking in Diablo II. Then again they could always make respecs cost SOJs.

Norge
  • edited May 2009
    I am concerned that this is going to ruin pvp balance...also I'm hoping this means it's going to take a lot longer to level in D3, since that's why there isn't respecs in D2.
    edited May 2009
    SOJ U GIEV????
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    i think i need to change my underwear. i am such a blizzwhore.
    edited May 2009
    they've taken out the text-based chatting option, you now use a set of pre-selected conversation topics:

http://www.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/lang/en-US/ss83-hires.jpg
    edited August 2009
    edited August 2009
    I caught the Monk trailer when it was revealed at Blizzcon, and I was really happy to see they took an Eastern European rather than Oriental take on the Monk.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    zomg. gib Diablo 3.

*drool*

I spent countless hours of my life on Diablo II. If this game is anywhere near as good, countless MORE hours of my life will go down the drain.
    edited August 2009
    The combo system that the monk will use is very interesting. Most skills will have three "steps" and you can mix and match skills into three step combo chains. For example I could use step 1 of Path of a Thousand Fist for direct damage, step 2 of Path of a Thousand Fist for more direct damage, and then step 3 of Exploding Palm for a massive DOT that causes the mob to explode if it dies while under the effect. Normally the first two steps of Exploding Palm do not have the DOT and explosion at the end. By using it as the final skill in your 3 step chain you get to skip the first two steps for the final effect. Each step of each skill is different so it'll make for interesting combos.

My fear is that players will find the optimal combo that just gets used over and over again with no variety. Hopefully Blizzard can balance around that by requiring players to swap combos depending on the situation. If done right it will be a really fun class to play.

Norge
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    That sounds quite similar to the D2 Assassin's combat style... as I recall it was possible to charge more than one ability and then release them in a finisher. I think it was glitchy even in the most recent patches though... the different effects didn't always stack correctly.
    edited August 2009
    I believe you are correct. It does remind me of the assassin combo points in Diablo II. The Diablo III Monk system sounds more refined though. I thought the assassin system was kind of clunky myself.

Norge
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I caught the Monk trailer when it was revealed at Blizzcon, and I was really happy to see they took an Eastern European rather than Oriental take on the Monk.

Agreed, agreed, agreed, amen.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Meh, it still looks like crap to me. Then again I didn't play Diablo so that's probably why I'm not as psyched as most of you. Maybe at Blizzcon 2010 it will be almost done and I'll get excited about it.
    edited August 2009
    Care to expand on what makes it look like crap?
    edited August 2009
    I would think it would be pretty apparent but I guess not. The character designs and animations are all very "meh" to me. They haven't told us much about the story (or maybe that's just Diablo's style, idk). Clicking three times isn't much of a combo for me either. There are a couple more but I'm kinda being rushed by typing this in between levels of L4D. Really it's just signs of a game early in development.
    edited August 2009
    You're right, 5 years of dev time is definitely ear-- wait.
    edited August 2009
    Blizzard makes some of the most polished games on the market. If they stay par for the course Diablo III will be no exception. Blizzard's typical tactic is to make a game easy to play but give it depth for more advanced players. A three move combo is easy for players to comprehend and start playing with. Advanced players will find ways to string together the best combos for a given situation. You can "just click three times" but you aren't going to be a great player for it.

Norge
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    All I have to say is that provided they don't do something horrendously stupid (on par with taking LAN play out of SCII) this is a day 1 purchase for me. Whenever they get around to releasing it. Around 2012 I expect ;)
    edited August 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    All I have to say is that provided they don't do something horrendously stupid (on par with taking LAN play out of SCII) this is a day 1 purchase for me. Whenever they get around to releasing it. Around 2012 I expect ;)
    Well they are using the same LAN system for Diablo 3 as they are for SC2.
    edited August 2009
    Yes, but unlike SC, Diablo is best played on Bnet.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Yes, but unlike SC, Diablo is best played on Bnet.

^^ Bingo we have a winner!
    edited August 2009
    All merely opinions. I loved playing Brood War through Battle.net for many years. Helms Deep Anatar FTW.