Red Dead Redemption

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Gaming
So is anyone else excited about this game? I am definitely picking it up for XBox 360. Amazon.com has a $20 GC if you purchase through them (plus we can use the Icrontic affiliate link to throw a bit of it back to Brian and Matt) and you get the Golden Guns pack. This game looks awesome and the multiplayer sounds pretty incredible. An entirely open game world to ride your horses around in and have running gun battles, etc. Sounds good to me!! Posse up!!

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    It looks very interesting, I get the urge to buy it more and more as new videos about it come out.

For anyone that doesn't know about the game, its GTA in the Wild West, with an entirely open map twice the size of GTA: San Andreas.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2010
    Yes, it's a game I've been following for quite some time now and so far there haven't been any red flags thrown up. The more info they put out the more excited I've been getting. It just hits on all my sweet spots. Enough so that I finally broke down and pre-ordered it this weekend, something I've never actually done before. But I wanted to trade-in Dragon Age while it was still worth something so that was that.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I just looked up some video and it does look pretty sweet. I wonder how well the horse back riding will work on the xbox.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'm not generally a big fan of sand box game play, but the idea of being an outlaw in a wild west setting, that just does it for me.

I'm in when it hits PC.
  • wpeltolawpeltola Indiana
    edited May 2010
    I'm not generally a big fan of sand box game play, but the idea of being an outlaw in a wild west setting, that just does it for me.

I'm in when it hits PC.

Same here..I'm going to jump on this like a bum on a ham sandwich ! ;D
    edited May 2010
    Zanthian wrote:
    I just looked up some video and it does look pretty sweet. I wonder how well the horse back riding will work on the xbox.

Yeah that could be a problem. But conceptually the rollers in Borderlands actually behave quite a bit like how a horse maneuvers so if riding is similar to that, that's a good base level. Ideally if horse riding was as effective as it is in Mount and Blade that would be nearly perfect.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I dunno about this, but horseback riding worked fairly well in GUN on the PS2... so I don't imagine it would be that bad unless they did something very strange with it.
    edited May 2010
    Yes good point the horse controls including shooting from horseback worked well in GUN. Basically as long as it's not the horse controls from Oblivion or Two Worlds it should be fine.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I just preordered it from Amazon today through Icrontic's affiliate link. Giving back a bit to Icrontic, a $20 Gift Card and the Golden Guns Pre-order bonus sealed the deal for me. I'll have it at my doorstep on release day. Maybe I'll take the day off to play some delicious Wild West goodness!! Icrontic Posse here we come!!
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I pre-ordered months ago for PS3. It's going to be awesome.
    edited May 2010
    IGN is killing me with their previews. The game sounds almost to awesome to believe. In light of the launch event. I've started my 8 days of westerns. In which I watch a different western every night and drive my wife crazy. Started out with pure western cheese in The Quick and The Dead, pure Sam Raimi cheese, pure awesome.
    edited May 2010
    I watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly a few days ago. It was pretty awesome. I need to see A Fistful of Dollars now...
    edited May 2010
    Funny you should mention that, Fistful of dollars was last nights movie. Tonight is the remake of 3:10 to Yuma. Not sure what follows after that, probably The Magnificent Seven. But the movie movie I watch on Monday night will definitely be Once Upon a Time in the West, fantastic, beats out The Good, The Bad and The Ugly and Unforgiven.
    edited May 2010
    I thought the remake of 3:10 to Yuma was pretty awesome. Bale and Crowe have good chemistry.
    edited May 2010
    Speaking as someone who hasn't seen the original, I also thought the remake of 3:10 to Yuma was quite good.
    edited May 2010
    The near perfect reviews rolling out are warranted. This game isn't hype it's awesome. Now back to shooting people in the face/back/stomach/knees/hands lassoing them to their horse and sending them off into the desert.
    edited May 2010
    Wants PC version!
    edited May 2010
    You get to wait for the PC version. Probably the same time Read Dead Redemption 2 comes out on console.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I feel like i'm the only one that isn't hyped up for this game.

I mean, it looks good enough, and it's an underutilized setting, but that's about it. *shrug* :|
    edited May 2010
    If you don't like westerns you don't like westerns. I wouldn't feel compelled if the game was Hello Kitty themed regardless of how good it looked.
    edited May 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    If you don't like westerns you don't like westerns. I wouldn't feel compelled if the game was Hello Kitty themed regardless of how good it looked.

Seriously though, who does not love westerns?
    edited May 2010
    Seriously though, who does not love westerns?

Communists.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    <-- dirty commie

I dunno. They're cool, just don't do anything special for me. I still may investigate this. A 95 average on Metacritic indicates something should be experienced, at least.
    edited May 2010
    If you like the gameplay from GTA IV then this game is like that only set in a Western theme with tighter story elements, better voice acting and an extremely impressive random event generator that brings the world to life.

You don't so much play the game as you walk around in it and experience what's going on.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    If you like the gameplay from GTA IV then this game is like that only set in a Western theme with tighter story elements, better voice acting and an extremely impressive random event generator that brings the world to life.

You don't so much play the game as you walk around in it and experience what's going on.

Gee, thanks for making the long wait for this to come out on PC even harder.

It took the Steam release about 6 months after the release of EOLC on Xbox, if the same schedule holds, damn its going to be a long ass wait.
    edited May 2010
    Maybe this will help then. Excerpts of my adventures so far;

Some of my more interesting non-main quest exploits have been trying to help a guy save his friend from being lynched. That didn't come out so well. I cut down the guys trying to hang him, but his horse spooked and he didn't make it.

Next I ran across a farmer who's daughter was kidnapped by some bandits holding up at a hideout. We killed all the bandits but I wasn't fast enough to save the daughter.

I was beseeched by a mother to save her some from some hill people. I found the son. Well more accurately his shoe and his thigh bone.

I was playing Bounty Hunter and tracking down a criminal, when I heard a call for help from a treasure hunter. The treasure hunter was being attacked by other bandits then the group I was tracking down. I shot up the other bandits but the Treasure Hunter took off (I was going to persuade him to give me his treasure map). The gunfight spooked the guy I bounty I was after and he took off, but his crew stayed behind to shoot me up. So when the dust settled, I was left with no treasure map, no bounty and just a half dozen dead bodies that I looted about $20 off of. Then a pack of coyotes showed up, drawn in by the smell of all the dead and they attacked me.

Next I was wondering around and found some old lady who was all pissy because her fiance didn't show up to get married. So I agreed to help her and that lead me back to a nearby town to look for him. Turns out the guy died like 20yrs ago, but to find that out I had to hog tie this guys wife that was threatening to leave him. I probably could have just bribed him for the info. But I was in a hog tying mood and wasn't about to take any back talk from some women. Specially since the previous incident had left me in a foul mood.

And that all happened in about 2 1/2hrs of play.
    edited May 2010
    I hear tale that you get an achievement in this game if you hog tie a nun and leave her on the railroad tracks to get splated by a train.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    True tale is true.
    edited May 2010
    Oh man... Now I have two reasons I want to buy a PS3.

MGS: Guns of the Patriots and this.

Just don't know if 2 games and BluRay is enough to justify 300$. Maybe if they still had the install other OS option... *grumble*
    edited May 2010
    I am enjoying this game greatly so far. There is so much to do without even touching the main story.