Running

_k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Fitness
Run.

Comments

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Ran.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Ren.

Ren.jpg
    Ren.jpg 76.6K
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    REM wat?
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I was running before it was cool.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    What's the frequency, Kenneth... garble garble garble....
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    _k_ wrote:
    Run.
    No.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    My trainer taught me these sprints and I do them once in a while (like once every other week) for my cardio
    set treadmill at 6mph 0 incline, sprint for 15 seconds, jump to the rails for 15 seconds, repeat for 2 minutes
    6.5 mph 0 incline, 15/15 for 2 minutes
    7 mph 0 incline, 15/15 for 2 minutes
    ... increase the speed .5mph each time, repeating 2 minute increments until I can't do even 15 seconds at the speed (Ive been topping out around 8.5mph), then I drop back down to 6 mph and repeat until I have done 20 minutes.

Another pattern she taught me for endurance instead of speed:
    4 minutes at 4 mph 6% incline
    2 minutes at 5 mph 8% incline
    1 minute at 6 mph 10% incline
    Repeat for 30 minutes (I usually do lower inclines 2/4/6 for instance if I havent done this in a while... its not one of my favorites.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    CB wrote:
    What's the frequency, Kenneth... garble garble garble....

Is your benzedrine, uh uh.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Is anyone actually running or simply being cheeky. I have been sick for a week and trying to get back on track this week. Sadly that means I need to be putting down 9 mile days for the rest of the week.
  • CantiCanti
    just got back from running 2 miles.
    =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    just got back from running 2 miles.
    edited June 2011
    mmmm finishing a run and it is finally down to 89 when I walk in the door.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    No, I really run. Average 3 miles a day.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I don't run, I swim.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    cola wrote:
    I don't run, I swim.

Good man, if I remember before EPIC I'll stock requisition you a pair of goggles/swim mask.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I don't run or swim, I cycle.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I don't run or swim, I cycle like a boss.

That's it, you are a total badass.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Actually, I'm new to the whole running thing... 5 of my friends and I have signed up to run the Tough Mudder (10 mile run with obstacles) in July... I signed up to this before I was able to run a 5k, so now I'm pushing myself slowly upwards to a half marathon... So I run 4 days a week with increasing mileage every Saturday...

I'm finally getting to the stage where I'm not realizing I'm running and zoning out after about the first 3 miles or so...
    edited June 2011
    The tough mudder is actually the only obstacle course run I am even remotely interested in, who doesn't want to carry logs up and down a hill.

Even if you are zoning out on the run remember to check yourself every few miles. Make sure your form is still correctish and efficient. Bushmen read their own tracks to make sure they do not need to take a break, I watch my legs for a few strides to make sure my feet are falling correct and leg turnover is happening in an acceptable manner.
    edited June 2011
    Good tips, thanks. I also use RunKeeper for the iPhone for tracking my runs and keeping tabs on my pace. It's fairly versatile and for being free, well worth it! Today I learned that if I'm going to be running for more than an hour straight, I should probably eat something an hour before the run... passing out in a forest preserve is not something I want to do...
    edited June 2011
    Figuring out time frames for when you can eat before running is important also always taking water with you just in case. You might also want to check out these. Since all of my runs are at an hour or longer I always take one with me to either consume in the middle if I am struggling or towards the end of a run and I don't seem to crash so hard. They are sugar and simple carbs, stuff that is designed to be processed and burned quickly. Take caution with when trying them for the first time and always drink water after eating one.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Good man, if I remember before EPIC I'll stock requisition you a pair of goggles/swim mask.

In all of my 6 years of competitive high-school swimming I have never heard of a swim mask. I'm currently really confused. Can you explain one to me?
    edited June 2011
    <iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VqrwafZMcck&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was happening during EXPO.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    cola wrote:
    In all of my 6 years of competitive high-school swimming I have never heard of a swim mask. I'm currently really confused. Can you explain one to me?

Holy late reaction, batman.

Rather than the gaskets that Speedo/TYR usually push on swimmers, we make masks. They're more comfortable for longer swims, which is why we usually cater to triathletes. ...basically a dive mask without the nose and a much smaller profile.
    edited June 2011
    <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9SUZ5xB_Skk&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a video I wanted to show Lax after our 10 miler at EXPO but between video games and sleep it didn't happen.

I like to think my form looks kind of like this when I run. I don't kick as hard as most people say you should but I fix that with my turn over rate which is why I feel something special boiling in me when I watch Anton run.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I've been doing 5 mile runs and 18 mile bike rides for a Tri I am going to have a go at in mid september. I just got some goggles and am planning to start swim training tonight. Any tips for someone who hasn't swam in years on swimming a half mile?
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    MAGIC wrote:
    Any tips for someone who hasn't swam in years on swimming a half mile?

Don't drown.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Noted.
    edited July 2011
    _k_ wrote:
    <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9SUZ5xB_Skk&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a video I wanted to show Lax after our 10 miler at EXPO but between video games and sleep it didn't happen.

I like to think my form looks kind of like this when I run. I don't kick as hard as most people say you should but I fix that with my turn over rate which is why I feel something special boiling in me when I watch Anton run.

Nice video. It still amazes me when I hear people running 50 miles (and more) at a time. I can barely do 8 without stopping for a minute or two.

Regardless, I'm doing my 11 mile run in about 30 minutes. Got my gels and water ready. Wish me luck!
    edited July 2011
    These guys walk during the race. Walking is part of any long distance strategy.
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    MAGIC wrote:
    I've been doing 5 mile runs and 18 mile bike rides for a Tri I am going to have a go at in mid september. I just got some goggles and am planning to start swim training tonight. Any tips for someone who hasn't swam in years on swimming a half mile?

I've been swimming a half mile twice a week for a couple months now. My advice is to take it at a pace with which you can maintain a steady breathing rate. If you find yourself needing to breathe after three strokes where you were at four a minute ago, you're probably swimming too fast.

Additionally, focus on keeping water out of your nose. That's one of my biggest problems. I'll have to stop mid-lap because suddenly I have water instead of air in my airway and I need to clear it out. Plus it's gross.