Ketogenic Diet - Over 50 pounds in 81 Days

RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
edited January 2019 in Fitness

I did a full ketogenic program last Feb to May.

I lost 51.3 pounds during that time frame.!

After that, I kept to it on and off.

I gained about 14 pounds since then. I've jumped back on a full keto program again since Jan 2, and have already lost 5 pounds.

My next goal is 200 to 210 by my birthday in June.

TushonRyanMMGnomeQueenLincMAGICMassaliniegwenabethCliff_Forster

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Nice work! I lost about 80 lbs on keto, but the moment I stopped I gained it all back and then some. I'm actually heavier now than I was before I started keto, so I'm sure there's some learning in there but fuck if I know. I hope you are able to figure out a way to keep it off. Congrats!

RyanMM
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

That's awesome. I'm closing in on 50, and expect to be there sometime next month.

I haven't gone hardcore like a lot of people have, just changing the diet and taking cheat days when I feel like it, so definitely nowhere near your pace.

I was up 17 after the holidays, but starting back on Monday I've already tossed 7 of that.

RyanMMRADAMassalinie
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited January 2019

Prime - I don't have the magic answer either. If we did, I wouldn't have the weight problem in the first place.

I guess you need to have a reason more than just "losing weight". My reason now is riding horses.

My daughters ride in competition, but we also want to ride as a family. It's much easier on me (and the horse) to weigh less.

What I try to do when I'm not 100% Keto, is eat Keto as much as I can, but have something not Keto when I want it.

I think most of this 14 lbs was between Thanksgiving and New Years.

edited January 2019

If anyone wants more insight or knowledge about what Keto is, or isn't, look for a bunch of YouTube How-To-Keto videos by a Dr. Ken Berry. He's been straight Keto for over 8 years and recently switched to a straight carnivore diet. His body fat percentage is around 5%.

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian

There's some helpful threads here, too. :)https://icrontic.com/discussion/93814/the-keto-diet

RADA

Down 8.3 lbs since Jan 2....

GnomeQueenMAGIC
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2019

That's awesome man! Congrats on the progress.

Do you have any type of exercise program going?

Definitely have a plan in mind for when you've reached your weight goal, as high fat/protein diets are not great for your health in the long run. Its REALLY easy once you get there to slip back into old habits that will put you back in the same spot, and the weight definitely comes back much easier that it falls off.

A couple things that have helped me keep the lbs off while transitioning off of a strict keto diet. Intermittent fasting, Keto Cyclical diet, and a general guild line try to get your protein from less animal products. Check out those topics and let me know if you have any questions. Keep it up!

RyanMMGnomeQueen

Why do I love keto? (not you, @keto, though I'm sure you're great and all)

Scout camp weekend stopped at Tony's in Birch Run on the way home. If you're not familiar with Tony's, it's famous for mass quantities of food. The side-order of bacon is a pound of bacon.

I murdered an entire "Three Little Pigs" omelette, which as you might imagine has ham, bacon, and sausage, as well as cheese at lunch yesterday.

Got up this morning and I was still down 2lb from Friday morning. That puts me at 9lb down on the week.

GnomeQueenRyanMM
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian

@AlexDeGruven said:
    Why do I love keto? (not you, @keto, though I'm sure you're great and all)

Scout camp weekend stopped at Tony's in Birch Run on the way home. If you're not familiar with Tony's, it's famous for mass quantities of food. The side-order of bacon is a pound of bacon.

I murdered an entire "Three Little Pigs" omelette, which as you might imagine has ham, bacon, and sausage, as well as cheese at lunch yesterday.

Got up this morning and I was still down 2lb from Friday morning. That puts me at 9lb down on the week.

Funny. I'm down almost 30 lbs (194-167 @ 6' tall) since Oct. 5 (CDN Thanksgiving) but it has nothing to do with Keto, just strictly calorie control.

GHoosdum
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

The gastric sleeve diet is- for all intents and purposes- a keto diet. My diet consists of about 80% protein and 20% carbs.

@Kwitko said:
    The gastric sleeve diet is- for all intents and purposes- a keto diet. My diet consists of about 80% protein and 20% carbs.

Will that be the case as you approach your goal weight, or will the macros always be like that?

• @RADA said:

I gained about 14 pounds since then. I've jumped back on a full keto program again since Jan 2, and have already lost 5 pounds.

What's a day of eating like for you? Do you do larger meals less often, smaller meals more? What are your typical protein sources? Caloric intake and such? I'm about 245 right now, and I really need to be more like 215. I can exercise but most of my progress is going to have to be done with diet due to a couple injuries I'm working through. I'm intrigued by your success.

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited January 2019

@Cliff_Forster said:

@RADA said:

What's a day of eating like for you? Do you do larger meals less often, smaller meals more? What are your typical protein sources? Caloric intake and such? I'm about 245 right now, and I really need to be more like 215. I can exercise but most of my progress is going to have to be done with diet due to a couple injuries I'm working through. I'm intrigued by your success.

Let me tell you that (almost, unless you're training for a marathon) no matter how much exercise you get, calorie control will give you much faster losses.

I eat a bowl of cereal (high fiber, mueslix or granola), 2 cups of coffee with milk in the morning. ONE SLICE of grain toast and peanut butter for lunch. A normal (meat, veggies, pasta, hell even the occasional fast food hamburger) but light/push my plate away when REASONABLY satisfied supper. An oatmeal bar OR beef jerky OR popcorn when dying for a snack. No soda or other beverages, no alcohol, just water. At 6' 167lbs I am still losing weight, while doing virtually no exercise and piloting a desk for a living, down from 194. I don't count calories or protein. I look skinny as hell (I'm 55. I didn't go past 150 lbs until I was late 30's/early 40's, so I've mostly always been pretty thin) but still have a bit of a belly and handfuls of love handles.

Cliff_Forster
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian

@RyanMM said:

@Kwitko said:

Will that be the case as you approach your goal weight, or will the macros always be like that?

The nutritionist said as I approach maintenence weight that I will probably add more carbs.

My main benefit in going keto is that I have a very strained relationship with carbs. Simple, complex, doesn't matter. I have an overactive insulin response that causes blood-sugar crashes and extreme hunger responses.

Being on a fat-based diet keeps my blood sugar consistently within nominal levels and I don't have any swings in hunger or energy. On top of that, the high-satiety nature of high-fat foods creates a natural calorie deficit for me, keeping me at around 1500cal/day when I'm in typical full swing.

I'll be the first to say that it probably isn't for everyone. Some people just don't like eating that way (or can't because of dairy or other sensitivities, and heavy cream & nuts are a great way to get your fat), and that's fine. But the dual benefit of no swings and weight loss means I'm in for at least partial keto eating 'til forever.

RyanMM

@Kwitko said:

@RyanMM said:

@Kwitko said:

The nutritionist said as I approach maintenence weight that I will probably add more carbs.

But not fat? Does the gastric sleeve nuke your ability to eat fat ever, basically?

I'm not entirely sure. They said protein is the most important. I really should ask the nutritionist.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

@RyanMM said:

@Kwitko said:

@RyanMM said:

@Kwitko said:

But not fat? Does the gastric sleeve nuke your ability to eat fat ever, basically?

It makes your stomach WAY sensitive. I know sugar, carbs, etc, reeeeally negatively affect my friends who've been sleeved.

Fat is more okay afaik, but a LOT of people who get gastric also end up having their gallbladders removed later, so. That eliminates a lot of fat.

• I lost about 30 pounds last year on Noom and most of it was loading protein. Not pure keto, but about 80% of my daily caloric intake was good protein sources. My testosterone got to a normal level for a man my age (it had been low for a decade) and my heart health improved despite my total cholesterol going up a little bit (the HDL is high) The trick I found was really about the quality of carb source. Processed carbs are the devil. An apple, banana or a little white rice here and there to fuel your glycogen for working out seems to be a nice balance that is sustainable long term. I think full on keto reinforces sort of what is out of balance and really kickstarts weight loss. The standard American diet is loaded with processed carbs. Long term though, at least for me a 215 pound guy I need to get about 120 grams of quality protein a day to curb hunger and not overload carb dense snacks. I eat carbs but really monitor the quality of carb I’m taking in most of the time. I do eat ice cream maybe once a week as a little cheat or an occasional baked good because you need to maintain some joy in eating but you would be amazed how much healthy sugar you can get out of one snack sized 80 calorie apple or mixing some berries in your yogurt. Baked sweet potato is one of my favorites with a protein post workout. So quality of carb seems to really make a difference in getting that dietary balance for me.