Just recently awarded “Best Power Supply Manufacturer of 2008” by Custom PC, Corsair is a familiar name to those who have been building computers for any length of time. Known for years as a major player in the enthusiast computer memory industry, the company branched out in 2006 and began selling branded power supplies. While their TX- and VX-series supplies are single rail, their modular HX series is a multi-rail configuration, and today we will be looking at the mid-range 620W HX620W model.
Specifications and features
The HX620W unit is billed as both a versatile and robust unit that adheres to the latest standards for power supply units, including the ATX12V 2.2 and the EPS12V 2.91 specifications. The Corsair site bills their product in the following manner:
The Corsair HX620W/HX520W power supply is versatile and robust. Utilizing superior triple +12V power rails and a whisper quiet double ball-bearing 120mm fan, the HX620W/HX520W is ready for today’s most power hungry components. The HX620W/HX520W conforms to the latest ATX12V 2.2/EPS12V 2.91 and RoHS standards, and delivers unparalleled continuous power to all of your critical system components reliably and safely. Corsair’s easily detachable and flexible modular cables allow you to use only the cables you need and enhance the air flow inside your system. The HX620W/HX520W is backed with a Limited 5-Year Warranty and Corsair’s legendary customer service.
The site also provides a bulleted list of specifications that are as follows:
- Supports the latest ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 standards and is backwards compatible with ATX12V 2.01 systems.
- Guaranteed compatibility with dual-GPU configurations.
- Double forward switching circuitry design offers high efficiency, up to 80% under wide load range.
- Active Power Factor Correction with PF value=0.99 provides clean and reliable power to your system.
- Ultra quiet 120mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying the RPM in response to temperature.
- Guaranteed to deliver rated specifications at 50ºC.
- Triple 12V Rails provide independent reliable power to the CPU, video card and other components with a combined rating of 50A (40A on 520W) maximum! Advanced circuitry design that automatically enables power sharing between the triple +12V rails in an event of overload on any single +12V rail.
- Powerful +5Vsb rail with 3A rating.
- Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection provide maximum safety for your critical system components.
- 105ºC rated industrial grade capacitors provide uncompromised performance and reliability, delivering 4 times the lifespan of conventional 85ºC rated capacitors.
- Enhanced modular flexible cables enable easier cable routing and increased airflow in the system.
- Dimension: 5.9″(W) x 3.4″(H) X 5.9″(L)
150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 150mm(L)
- MTBF: 100,000 Hours
Lastly, we’ve assembled a chart detailing the characteristics of the rails:
On paper, the HX620W unit delivers on features that enthusiasts of the day demand: the newewst PSU specifications, triple 12V rails, line conditioning, and modular cables. However, we were disappointed to see Corsair skirt around the issue of efficiency by rating their power supply at “up to” 80% under an ambiguous “wide load range.” We would much prefer a more precise rating of the power supply’s efficiency as we’ve come to expect disclosure in this department.
In spite of this small hangup, it’s clear to see that this power supply is more than ready to tackle today’s hardware. The combined output of the units three 12V rails is sufficient for everything but the most beastly of systems.