Benson Custom Engineering

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

TL:DR - food containers are possible but would be slightly more expensive than otherwise because they require me to use a gas mask.

It would require more work, but you could print a mold which would then allow you to make a nonporous part.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

TL:DR - food containers are possible but would be slightly more expensive than otherwise because they require me to use a gas mask.

It would require more work, but you could print a mold which would then allow you to make a nonporous part.
    Great idea. Would be able to make ceramic steins then. I'll basically have a kiln already built anyway.
    GHoosdumJBoogaloobells
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    Ok Cannon I have been doing some more reading since I threw the request out. At first I thought you were going to HAVE to use PLA but yes there are different types of PLA and ABS that you can find that are food safe but if you wanted to actually do that , realistically, you should clean the entire machine and start with a new spool or a sanitized spool of certified food space plastic. Then when you created it you would need to seal it with a certified food safe sealer and any time the container heated up the consumer should not use it until it is cooled back down to make sure there isn't any bleeding between layers in case there is bacteria growing in a sealed layer; think the plastic melting slowly and causing a small crack in the sealer. Now you brought up making the plastic smoother by melting PLA with acetone and that does help but it doesn't really seal it, simply makes it wavy and slightly smoother. Bacteria growth can still be an issue.

tl;dr if you can fire some ceramic and things seem simple enough for you do that and I will buy it if you use food safe ceramics and junk. Might need to develop kind of a disclaimer they are for show.

I have the stands from Mass Effect figures I can take rough measurements on, can get hold of some acceptable calipers. Thus I can get you some rough measurements of two different NECA based figures and I know there is a community where they try to find the correct stand for figures so they can pose them correctly. Personally given the size of the figures and their crazy weapons a stand based off an X pattern or a semi-amorphous base would work well and integrate with a possible set piece decently. Let me know if you need something and I will try and come up with something for you.
    Lol @_k_ I was using the same discussion for reference :D

I would not have a problem using a sealant on them - just takes longer. Clay will have the same issue, would have to seal / glaze them as well.
    Duh you have to glaze the clay when it fires. But given that you need to glaze/seal anything food wise you produce then just jumping into a ceramic thus providing the customer with the strongest and longest lasting solution of the two seems pretty straight forward under the assumption it would not be a massive amount more work. Knowing that I am buying a good quality custom stein from someone respectable in the states is something that puts me to ease and loosens my pocket book.

This could even be something I can try and push on the /r/dallas fb group.
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    Grats on the aquisition!

I've been seeing the advances with 3D printing and thinking it is only going to get bigger and bigger as it developes. Gives me a bunch of ideas and goes with this background dream to work on active prosthetics, but I fear I have missed that particular boat.

Would love to see what you make with this thing if you can share!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Grats on the aquisition!

I've been seeing the advances with 3D printing and thinking it is only going to get bigger and bigger as it developes. Gives me a bunch of ideas and goes with this background dream to work on active prosthetics, but I fear I have missed that particular boat.

Would love to see what you make with this thing if you can share!

Nobody's ever missed the boat by doing it better than everybody else.
    GargmidgaGHoosdum
    I second this - there is still a ton of development going on with 3D printing. There is a ton of room for "doing it better."

My whole business concept is built around combining 3D printing with "old" style casting, for example.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    3D printing's boat is still dockside. When it's in open water, you'll know it by the TIME cover story on who it's made a billionaire.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

you'll know it by the TIME cover story on who it's made a billionaire.

CannonFodder?

BobbyDigiGHoosdum
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Icrontic - We make Billionaires.
    BuddyJ
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    CrazyJoe said:

Icrontic - We make Billionaires and Beers.

-Digi
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Tushon said:

MAGIC said:

What the fuck.

+9 for atypical response, -3 for lack of explanation. This post is rated a +6.
    I read the first comment to the thread.
    Got my SolidWorks license today. (Finally!) Just in time for me to pack up my apartment and move this weekend!

Now then, now that I have the software, I'm looking for more info on the following:

1) Sketch of stein for @_k_ / others
    2) Dimensions of stand post for TF2 / other figurines for custom poses
    3) Model / parts for a Supra fuel intake manifold - @buddyJ

Note, if you're not on my list its probably because I'm either forgetful or you've requested something that violates IP rules. Find me on Mumble or PM me and I'll send you my phone number to discuss what I can do.
    JBoogalooBuddyJ
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Excellent news, dude! Have fun with that move! :thumbsup:
    If only I have kept up with my CAD degree I could be your first employee, stupid job market.
    d3k0y said:

If only I have kept up with my CAD degree I could be your first employee, stupid job market.

I'm relearning SolidWorks on the fly. All it takes is using it.

@_k_ for your paint sketching pleasure:

http://i.imgur.com/Mb8Y0yZ.png

This stein would weight approximately 1 lb if made of clay, and hold 0.5L. About half that weight if made of PLA. If made of clay, I'd have to take out the negative angle and do a straight vertical so I could make a mold properly.
    primesuspect
    I vote for clay because I know you are a bawler, lets be bawler together :) .

Suggestions/request: Bigger hand so I could slide my hand in there around the body instead of the handle if need be. Also a thumb saddle or a flat spot on the top outside corner of the handle.

Where is the lid?

What about some texturing on the body to fancy it up? I have no idea if this would be feasible for you to produce because I had this thought of a kind of coat of arms on it.
    JBoogaloo
    This is a base model that I'll add stuff to that you want. I'm working on putting a lid mechanism/ handle modificaitons on it now.

What I want from you is to know what to put on it (do you have a picture of a coat of arms you want replicated?) The intent of last post was to give you something to draw on. I don't care if its scribbles: I need to visualize what you want so I can model it.

I'm thinking something like this, minus the Sam Adams stuff:

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    SWEET MERCIFUL LORD WHERE DO I GET THAT STEIN *WITH* THE SAM ADAM STUFF TELL ME
    midgaTeramona
    Ebay, apparently.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Speaking of Sam Adams and steins, I want to get in on one of these...
    http://www.samueladams.com/promotions/steinhoisting
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

SWEET MERCIFUL LORD WHERE DO I GET THAT STEIN *WITH* THE SAM ADAM STUFF TELL ME

bensoncustomengineering.com
    midgaTeramona

The blank coat of arms source. The center image source.

I need to play with it some more trying to do sizing and removing some in the inner circles around the bird but this is a good rough starting place.
    I will work on that - going to take me a bit.
    My final mock upimage
    Would it be possible to print out the stein separately, then print out the coat of arms "shield". Create a paper stencil of the image in the shield and paint it on?

If you are doing this with a ceramic, you could then just score the two, put them together and fire them?

Maybe a bit more work than originally intended though.
    _k