If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much

1246715

Comments

  • Options
    edited Oct 2011
    Just don't read Cupcakes, especially if you work in a bakery, like I do. I stupidly read Cupcakes RIGHT before going to work, and I was suspiciously terrified of all the cupcakes for the rest of the day. And I'm still kind of paranoid that if I get fired there's going to be brony-flavoured cupcakes on the menu. D:
  • Options
    edited Oct 2011
    WHY DO EVERYBODY THIS SHOW I DON'T MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC BECAUSE OF THE MASS UP FANBASE THIS DON'T NEED THIS SHOW LOVE FROM ANYBODY I SICK OF BRONIES TELLING ME TO JOIN THE HERD
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    *cracks knuckles*

    I'll attempt to translate into adult:
    WHY DO EVERYBODY THIS SHOW

    Why the sudden surge of interest in this show?
    I DON'T MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC BECAUSE OF THE MASS UP FANBASE

    I'm beginning to have doubts about the My Little Pony fandom now, because of the massive influx of new community members.
    THIS DON'T NEED THIS SHOW LOVE FROM ANYBODY

    I... I'm not sure about this one -translator
    I SICK OF BRONIES TELLING ME TO JOIN THE HERD

    I was a self-styled "Brony" before the term even existed. Now they're telling ME to "Join the herd". The nerve!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    Masterful work, Brian.

    Maybe the third is "This show doesn't need love an attention from anyone"?
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    Now who would go and say something like that? I seriously doubt your translating skills Lynx. :D
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja I don't know how to not Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    AfMd6.png
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    9u6r9y.jpg
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    I actually watched the first complete episode by myself on youtube late last night. The quality of the animation is nice, the adventure story line is a surprise, but ultimately, I just don't get it :crazy:

    I'm not a hater though. What grown men do in the comfort of their own home is their own deal. That said, I still plan on putting it in front of my daughter to see how she takes to it.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    PirateNinja, that is masterful work, dude. I LOL'd.

    Cliff - if you watch it with Icrontic during a stream, I'm willing to bet you'd warm up to it. BobbyDigi is the perfect such example.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    Regardless of content, the icrontic synchtube is real, honest fun.

    *grumble... achievements... grumble.*
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    *cracks knuckles*

    I'll attempt to translate into adult:



    Why the sudden surge of interest in this show?



    I'm beginning to have doubts about the My Little Pony fandom now, because of the massive influx of new community members.



    I... I'm not sure about this one -translator



    I was a self-styled "Brony" before the term even existed. Now they're telling ME to "Join the herd". The nerve!


    BRIAN AWESOME LIKE REPLY PONY!
  • cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    i'm still not watching it, for fear of becoming a man.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    BE A MAN!
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    PirateNinja, that is masterful work, dude. I LOL'd.

    Cliff - if you watch it with Icrontic during a stream, I'm willing to bet you'd warm up to it. BobbyDigi is the perfect such example.

  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    PirateNinja, that is now my desktop.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    Winfrey wrote:
    BE A MAN!

    QFT

    That's OK Beeb, we're having fun on the internet and you can't stop us.

    LunaImhavingfunandyoucantstopme.png
  • DavidReinoldDavidReinold Minnesota
    edited Oct 2011
    I joined this site not 20 minutes ago JUST because of this article. I'll go anywhere if the fanbase is strong there.

    Although I disagree with this article on one point - the 80s and 90s MLP cartoons weren't really bad at all. G3 is your only enemy. The first special, Rescue at Midnight Castle (AKA Battle for Midnight Castle, or the title of the VHS release "Firefly's Adventure") was surprisingly dark, depressing, angsty, violent, and epic. (SPOILER they outright kill the final villain, Tirek). I do not hesitate to say that for the time, it was FiM-tier, if not greater. It's easily my favorite story in the entire franchise, and this isn't even me being a purist, since I didn't even know MLP had a show until FiM. I also thought the '92 series, My Little Pony Tales, was awesome just for the character diversity (tons of male characters, and for the most part they aren't even portrayed as jerks. Lancer is cool, and if Teddy were a real person today he would SO be a brony. In fact the only pure jerk among them was Ace, and he was voiced by Light Yagami, so I can live with that...). And the FiM stories that were taken from Tales, I think, were actually handled better in Tales. For example, imagine if at the end of the FiM episode "The Ticket Master", instead of getting a bunch more tickets from the supreme overlord of the entire world, they had simply scalped the tickets, bought pizza and enjoyed hanging out with each other. That, to me, sounds like a much more practical ending that sends a more accurate message. Hence we have the MLPTales episode "And the Winner Is..."

    Anyway, yeah. Watch Rescue at Midnight Castle, and I DARE you to tell me that FiM isn't one giant homage to that. If Lauren Faust wanted us to hate it she wouldn't have used it as a starting point.

    Not to degrade FiM, though, since it IS extremely awesome and probably the greatest fanbase I've ever been a part of.

    For the fandom itself, I've gotta say...I love pretty much any non-shipping fanfics. And especially tearjerkers. I also like some of the comics. Anything by Madmax, and again, tearjerkers like the "Derpy is the best mother" comic. I also like the fan-music, and have partaken in remixing and original work myself. My favorite artist is VoodooPony, second favorite is NotACleverPony. Eurobeat has some interesting stuff but it gets old. Oh also rainbowcrash88 is awesome.

    Anyway, yeah. Long-winded first post on these forums, but it was worth it.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    I joined this site not 20 minutes ago JUST because of this article. I'll go anywhere if the fanbase is strong there.

    Welcome to Icrontic, DavidReinold! Glad to have you on board with us.

    I've had many mention Rescue at Midnight Castle post-publishment of that piece. I have to admit, the statements I wrote were out of ignorance - I've never watched any of the old MLP outside of various episodes my sister used to watch when we were young.

    Also, I'm a sucker for tearjerkers as well. Not sure what it is about them, but I dig sad stories. non-shipping tearjerkers are my ticket.
  • DickCoxDickCox Sunnyvale, CA
    edited Oct 2011
    I'm roommates with the author of this article, and I still don't MLP, and I don't why people it either. (/sic)
  • DavidReinoldDavidReinold Minnesota
    edited Oct 2011
    DickCox wrote:
    I'm roommates with the author of this article, and I still don't MLP, and I don't why people it either. (/sic)
    We didn't intentionally the ponies. Most of us accidentally the ponies.
  • AcesofacesAcesofaces Southwest, VA
    edited Oct 2011
    Well I must say this community of MLP:FIM is reason I came and signed up on Icrontic today. I used to shun MLP or anything with those words My Little Pony. But like about 2 months ago I was curious since I saw more and more of the not common name My Little Pony but My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. Out of natural curiosity I checked it and even view which episodes was best. In terms I watched Sonic Rainboom as my first episode. Needless to say I liked it. Therefore I now have watched all 26 episodes of season 1, and both current episodes of season 2. Not to add I scavenger for all fanfics I can find, "Even clopfics, or "others"" However I try to avoid tearjerkers since last one I read I couldn't sleep that night. I have no idea why, but it nailed me with something I couldn't forget. It was this one if curious: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6684207/1/The_Last_Treasure
    An yes I have read "Cupcakes series", I ran out of bleach trying to clean my eyes of images.

    I plan to get familiar with Icrontic here, compared to few other places that are annoying. Till then I will be laying low and "reading" and viewing more then I will posting. Though commenting may be done so, but it depends how things go. Posting this made me feel better by 20%. At least now I can link pony haters to this. So Ty Bobby Miller for this awesome topic.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx Top EA shill, The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    Acesofaces wrote:
    But like about 2 months ago I was curious since I saw more

    pony-curious.png

    Glad you signed up, and welcome to Icrontic Acesofaces!
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    I love how this topic is going viral!!! GOOOO APPLEJACK!!!
  • Options
    edited Oct 2011
    On Topic: I feel this article hits the nail on the head. Great job. What more needs to be said. (lol unintentional rhyme)

    Slightly Off Topic: Was out surfing the inter-webs and somehow found my way to this article and this website for for first time. I'm used to the pony craze (need to be when there is at least one pony related item on the front of Deviant Art daily,) but the rest of the site caught my interest, Almost as if it speaks to me. So I decided to join in. Here's to good times ahead!
  • Options
    edited Oct 2011
    "Why is it so huge when other cartoons of relative quality don’t? Simple—it’s the community."

    That's it right there, really. I have no problem with MLP. It's the community that I have a problem with.

    I watched an episode and decided that the show wasn't for me. I was happy enough to leave it at that. But people WILL NOT SHUT UP about it at me. I'm happy to leave well enough alone. Why aren't you?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    You're in the wrong community if they won't leave you alone about it.
  • DavidReinoldDavidReinold Minnesota
    edited Oct 2011
    Ninetailed wrote:
    "Why is it so huge when other cartoons of relative quality don’t? Simple—it’s the community."

    That's it right there, really. I have no problem with MLP. It's the community that I have a problem with.

    I watched an episode and decided that the show wasn't for me. I was happy enough to leave it at that. But people WILL NOT SHUT UP about it at me. I'm happy to leave well enough alone. Why aren't you?
    The reason they won't leave you alone is that majority of the fanbase didn't like the first episode they saw, and they know that if you saw a few more episodes, you'd probably get hooked.

    And honestly, if the episode you saw was the very first one, I can see why it wouldn't hook you. Episode 1 was probably the one of the worst episode in the entire series, alongside the Dave Polsky episodes (15 and 21). Trust me, this is one series where if you're judging it on just one episode, you're judging it WAY too soon. For me, it took until episode 7 to realize that I ACTUALLY wanted to watch the show.
  • Options
    edited Oct 2011
    First of all people won't leave you alone about it because, yeah whatever community your on sucks and it took me 3 episodes to get hooked (third being party of one)

    and Doctor Whooves is the best pony.
  • Options
    edited Oct 2011
    Hey, I liked Ep. 1!

    Nightmare Moon is best pony.
  • DavidReinoldDavidReinold Minnesota
    edited Oct 2011
    Hey, I liked Ep. 1!

    Nightmare Moon is best pony.
    Nightmare Moon was pretty decent, but the presentation of episode 1 was extremely choppy and had none of the charm that the later episodes had.
Sign In or Register to comment.