Black and White Game on Windows XP?

Comments

• edited May 2004
    It is a PCI card. I just updated my driver yesterday to 56.72. I dont know about the BIOS stuff. I remember having a lot of trouble overriding my onboard card when i installed the new card. I don't remember checking the compatability of my slot to the card though. How exactly would i go about doing this?
  • edited May 2004
    Irrelevant wrote:
    I do not see any reason for the poor performance unless it is just my video compatability with the game. I would not be surprised to find out that i have the one card the game will absolutely not work on....Please help me.

If you look further up the page Ive had exacly the same problem, I think that B&W doesnt like GeForce cards.

I still havent found a solution though! :rant:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited May 2004
    BigDaveGrr:

apparently there is also a known incompatibilty with a Microsoft update patch.

Start here for info:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=27287&topic=13976500

And the BW patches are available here:

http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/blackwhite/index.html

Dexter...
    edited May 2004
    Irrelevant wrote:
    It is a PCI card. I just updated my driver yesterday to 56.72. I dont know about the BIOS stuff. I remember having a lot of trouble overriding my onboard card when i installed the new card. I don't remember checking the compatability of my slot to the card though. How exactly would i go about doing this?

OK....a 64 MB PCI card is pretty low end for the graphics intensive gaming you are getting into with games like B&W.

Read this:

http://www.sysopt.com/agp.html

PCI bandwidth peaks at 133 MB/sec in 32 bit mode. That is only under extremely optimal conditions, because the PCI bus is a shared bus, meaning your other peripherals - ethernet card, modem, sound, and whatever sle you have installed on it - all share that bus. If you even get 100 MB/sec you should be lucky.

AGP is a direct pipeline from the video processor to the RAM/CPU, etc. AGP in 1x mode can peak at 533 MB/sec. 2x, 4x, and 8x AGP up that number accordingly.

In other words, for smooth gaming quailty, you want / need an AGP card. If you have an AGP slot on your motherboard, you should switch to an AGP card. You will be much happier :)

Failing that, you could try moving to a PCI card with more RAM, but this doesn't help much with the speed of rendering graphics. As an example, my system has a 64MB AGP card running in 4X mode. My friend's son has a 128 MB PCI card. They both play Halo. When my son plays it, with graphics settings on full for most options, the video is smooth and superb. On my friend's son's computer, we had to set all the video options to the lowest settings or the game would crash constantly. My son's has never crashed. So, the RAM does not play nearly as much a factor as the speed, and for speed, you need AGP.

Dexter...
  • edited June 2004
    Hello all

im new to the forums so sorry if i am a bit of a pain at times but i have a problem with black and white that is apparently caused by windows xp.

ok when i play the game it works all fine. not a ingle problem atall... there i am minding my own business throwing villagers around my island to my hearts content, and then all of a sudden the whole game just freeses. no error message the whole thing just locks up. asiff time has stoped, the music cuts out etc.

I was experimenting with this, trying to find a trend, but there wasnt one. it froze randomly (usually bout 4 mins into game). so i tried stopping all non active..thingies on the desktop e.g ctrl+alt+del and then ending most all the procceses etc. but all to no avail. i tried running it in all the compatability modes and nothing happend. i have tried to get the patches but i cannot find them so if someone could be so kind as to give me a link i would e very gratefull. i have updated my video drivers to the latest versions. i cannot find a driver for my sound card (i think it is an internal nforce sound card).

i have tried everything :banghead: AAAAAAAA!!!!!!

WHY ME! WHY IS IT SO HARD TO PLAY THE MOST FUN AND STRESS RELIEVING :rarr: GAME ON THE PLANET (apart from postal 2)

i even tried re-formatting my pc!!! but nothing happend!

i have:

ATI Radeon 9800 pro
    microsoft windows xp proffesional
    amd athlon xp 2600+
    NVIDIA Nforce audio

both my sound card and my video card are on full acceleration but the crappy eagames customer support said that that wont make any difference.

PLease someone HELP MEEE!!!!!!!! :banghead:

lol

Guy

:ukflag:
  • edited June 2004
    btw the game runs really good on my m8`s pc and he has almost the same pc (just he has a shuttle and different motherboard and soundcard, and he has p4)

Guy

:ukflag:
    edited June 2004

i have:

ATI Radeon 9800 pro

Is that the 128 MB version or 256 MB version? WHat are your AGP and video memory settings in your BIOS set for? Is it in 4x or 8x mode? If you have your BIOS set for 8x, you may want to try backig it down to 4x.

both my sound card and my video card are on full acceleration but the crappy eagames customer support said that that wont make any difference.

I disagree. You may want to try backing the acceleration off one notch.

Also, what motherboard do you have, and are you running the lastest chipset drivers for it? And how much system RAM do you have?

Dexter...
  • edited June 2004
    Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help. W ehave XP on our computer and it appears top not let Black and White work. However whereas we were able to install it at first it now repeatedly comes up with

"This build of CDCode is for Black and White. Yhis is an invalid build of CDCode. Please fill out the EReg Config form to obtain calid CDCode build"

The thing is we have donethis. and are now completely lost. We have tried numerous downlaods but still we have the small problem of that it will not install. DOes any one have any thoughts or ideas as to what could be up?
    it all worked last time. its so very annoying that it wont now >:|
    thanks
    edited June 2004
    This is a thread that does not want to die...... ;)

Well, I did some googling, and the answers came up....in German. Here is a translated version...kind of choppy:
    The Setup has an error: If you delete the play file, the play cannot be installed any longer: It finds its entries in the registration data base and thinks, it would be already installed.
    In order to create that remedy, you start the program REGEDIT (in Windows over starting/implementing). Look for for the key LionHead, and you delete all entries.
    Change to it to the entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, software, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, university stable. Delete the key there { E51b4cd9-a0a6-4324-b2ã-31b3f2de26ce }. Now the NEW INSTALLATION is possible.

So basically, uninstall B&W, run Regedit, find any keys marked LionHead, and delete them. Then...I suspect that "university stable" actually should have been translated to "uninstall." So go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, software, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion, Uninstall, and look for a key that matches up to E51B4CD9-A0A6-4324-B26A-31B3F2DE26CE, and delete that.

Oh, and.....

***DISCLAIMER*** Using Regedit without adequate knowledge can seriously foul up your computer. Proceed with caution.

I have not tested this so I take no responsibility for the result, but the reasoning is sound. You are basically going to be wiping off the traces of the software that do not get uninstalled by the uninstaller.

Please come back and let me know if that worked.

Dexter...
  • edited June 2004
    Thank you very much I will try that

Fortunately I kinda do know what I am doing with Regedit so fingers crossed!
  • edited June 2004
    My black and white crashes after black & white logo. :banghead: Please help!!

windows xp
    geforce mx 420
    768 ddr
    AMD Athlon xp 2000+
    1.67 ghz
  • edited June 2004
    HEEELP :rarr: :banghead:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2004
    Firstly, two hours is not very much time to allow people time to reply to your issues, especially on a sunday morning at 7:30 EST, which is 4:30 PST. Most of our members are located in these time zones, although we do have some in Europe/Australia. I cannot help you with this problem, but there is a wealth of knowledge here. Please be patient.

after checking the second or third post of this thread, have you tried this:
    Actually, we found the answer on Gamefaqs.com, and you guys were on the right track. Needed the v1.2 patch, and it has to be set to Win98 compatibility.
    edited June 2004
    f&%¤ wrote:
    My black and white crashes after black & white logo. :banghead: Please help!!

windows xp
    geforce mx 420
    768 ddr
    AMD Athlon xp 2000+
    1.67 ghz

did you try the patches and tips linked earlier in this thread...?

Dexter...
  • edited June 2004
    Dexter wrote:
    Actually, we found the answer on Gamefaqs.com, and you guys were on the right track. Needed the v1.2 patch, and it has to be set to Win98 compatibility.
    Riiight, so how do you set it to Win98 compability?
  • edited June 2004
    How do you set the game to run under other compatabilities? i.e Win98
  • edited June 2004
    ABCDEFG wrote:
    How do you set the game to run under other compatabilities? i.e Win98

Right click the startup icon and select properties, then click on the compatibility tab and select win98 compatibility mode.
  • edited June 2004
    now it works. i installed patch 1.1. but now if i try save i have an error "microsoft visual c++ runtime library" "runtime error! program: c:\progra~1\lionhe~1\black&~1\runblack.exe abnormal program termination" please help
    edited June 2004
    Sounds like a Direct X error:

http://www.planetblackandwhite.com/blackandwhite/techsupport/srblackandwhite.htm#dxerrors

Try downloading the latest version of Direct X, and updating your graphics card drivers.

Dexter...
  • edited June 2004
    I have been searching for "cure" and found that hotfix B824141, (a window xp up date) is the problem. It is a securtiy update and makes some type of problem with CI. Just uninstall and presto!! It works!!!
    edited June 2004
    DeBaas wrote:
    I have been searching for "cure" and found that hotfix B824141, (a window xp up date) is the problem. It is a securtiy update and makes some type of problem with CI. Just uninstall and presto!! It works!!!

I'm confused as to the advice you are giving. Which problem did you "cure" by uninstalling this Hotfix?

Secondly, from a security standpoint, I would not recommend uninstalling this Hotfix. It's there for a reason:
    A vulnerability exists because the ListBox control and the ComboBox control both call a function, which is located in the User32.dll file, that contains a buffer overrun. The function does not correctly validate the parameters that are sent from a specially-crafted Windows message. Windows messages provide a way for interactive processes to react to user events (for example, keystrokes or mouse movements) and to communicate with other interactive processes. A security vulnerability exists because the function that provides the list of accessibility options to the user does not correctly validate Windows messages that are sent to it. One process in the interactive desktop could use a specific Windows message to cause the ListBox control or the ComboBox control to execute arbitrary code. Any program that implements the ListBox control or the ComboBox control could allow code to be executed at an elevated level of administrative credentials, as long as the program is running at an elevated level of privileges (for example, Utility Manager in Windows 2000). This could include third-party applications.

An attacker who had the ability to log on to a system interactively could run a program that could send a specially-crafted Windows message to any applications that have implemented the ListBox control or the ComboBox control, causing the application to take any action an attacker specified. This could give an attacker complete control over the system by using Utility Manager in Windows 2000.

More information at that link http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-045.mspx and http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824141

Dexter...
  • edited June 2004
    Strange behavior of B & W(and creature isle), minimize in start up.
    It is gone when you uninstall update 824141
    I know this update is for security, but the "KIDS" want to play B & W.
    The choise is yours.
    edited June 2004
    DeBaas wrote:
    Strange behavior of B & W(and creature isle), minimize in start up.
    It is gone when you uninstall update 824141
    I know this update is for security, but the "KIDS" want to play B & W.
    The choise is yours.

Hmmm.....I have that same update, and did not have to make that choice: my kid's B&W and Creature Isle both work with that update installed.

Dexter...
  • edited June 2004
    hi i wonder if u could help me i have read all of your info but my game get to the bit where it says tip of the day and locks out i have updated all my drivers and i have tried ther game in all compatabilty modes.

Plz help
    edited June 2004
    Luke wrote:
    hi i wonder if u could help me i have read all of your info but my game get to the bit where it says tip of the day and locks out i have updated all my drivers and i have tried ther game in all compatabilty modes.

Plz help

Are you running XP? Did you install the 1.2 patch?

Dexter...
  • edited July 2004
    Dexter wrote:
    Are you running XP? Did you install the 1.2 patch?

Dexter...

Yes i am running xp and i have installed the 1.3 pacth and it still dont work HELP PLZ :rant:
    edited July 2004
    Luke wrote:
    Yes i am running xp and i have installed the 1.3 pacth and it still dont work HELP PLZ :rant:

Ahem...did you not notice that I asked very specifically about the 1.2 patch, not the 1.3?

The 1.3 has been known to not fix the problem. You MUST install the 1.2 patch first, then try it to see if it works, then you can try installing the 1.3 afterwards. Just installing the 1.3 may not fix your problem.

Dexter...
  • edited July 2004
    okay i have installed the pacth but the game keeps gettin stuck
    edited July 2004
    Luke wrote:
    okay i have installed the pacth but the game keeps gettin stuck

What are the specifications of your system?

///EDIT: Also, make sure you have read this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=327979

and check to see if you have installed the 327979 recommended update. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site, it will be under "Windows XP" updates.

Dexter...
  • edited July 2004
    hey all of u im new and i just borrowed B&W from a friend to see if all ur suggestions and things uve all posted on this site work and i guess they do but the only problem is im not that much of a pro on a computer but i need to know who to do that "windows 98 compatibitlity" thing could anyone please tell me???please.:D