Black and White Game on Windows XP?

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    No, they don't, and no, you normally can't add RAM to them and why in gods name are you writing like that?
  • edited December 2005
    you can add ram to them from the bios, i should know because i added 128mb of ram to the chip, thay ALL have bilt in ones, because if thay didnt you would not be able to see anything and when you buy a motherboard you dont get a graphics with them.and befor you start whining about "not all of them have chips":
    1) have a look at all the motherboards you find ther will be a graphics chip
    2) my dad works with comuters and EVERY motherboard i have seen has a graphics chip
    edited December 2005
    Can someone please back me up before I am forced to beat this retard to death with his own shoes?
  • edited December 2005
    look thay do other wise how would thay work, use some logic, or are you that stupid?
  • edited December 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    Can someone please back me up before I am forced to beat this retard to death with his own shoes?

Of course you're right...

Ok now, if that can help, I found a way to get rid of the graphic issues I had in B&W (blinking lines & streched/moving textures and so on)...I only had to disable the AGP fast write option on my motherboard, and now everything works fine.

If you don't know how to do this, just see your mother board's user guide or ask google... that's not that hard.
    Don't worry, turning off this options should not affect your framerate in games a noticeable way...

Good game.
  • edited December 2005
    look dumbass thay all have graphics chips and you can add ram to them in the bios, its usaly under 'advance chipset', oh and if you do what that, you skrew up, X2, the sims 2,Painkiller, halo custom editon and the editors, unreal 2004 and star wars republic commando
  • edited December 2005
    look dumbass thay all have graphics chips and you can add ram to them in the bios, its usaly under 'advance chipset'

No they don't, get a brain...

VGA.jpg
    Asus-A7N8X-E-Dlx-connectors.jpg

Ok, now tell me how you plug this standard VGA connector to this motherboard...
  • edited December 2005
    lol, thats from a media sepecalist, you can tell from the extra 3 small ports, thay use the usb, and you need an adaptor
  • edited December 2005
    Ok gimme your shoes...
  • edited December 2005
    ha ha, you been beaten fool, fool i say
  • edited December 2005
    it takes to long to keep posting messages so im me, aim undeadryua.....my prob is and error after the second lionhead thing with the lights passes,some cannot pl somthing 0x715a31db somthing 0xeaoe3710
  • edited December 2005
    the instruction at 0x715a2f5c referenced memory at 0x0671fd4. this memory could not be found.
  • edited December 2005
    ok i just whanna say sorry to the people about themother board thing ok
    edited December 2005

Not gonna cut it.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Ok, move on.
  • edited December 2005

OMG were you serious about the USB thing ???

Anyway, I'd just like to say it again, you don't need to remove your graphic card or anything to get rid of the graphic issues in B&W, just

DISABLE AGP FAST WRITE OPTION in your mother board settings (or your graphic card settings if you can).

Sorry to say it again, but I didn't find this thing anywhere in the topic, and this might help some people...
  • edited December 2005
    no i wasnt serious,
  • edited December 2005
    hi guys,
    yeah so i got black and white for a fiver in hmv today and installed it all fine then i tried to play it. first it would start to load then just disapear then i changed compatability to windows 95 then it would start to load disapear and come up with an runblack.exe error box so i installed path v1.2 and tried to play now it starts to go into a lionhead window and then dispears..... any ideas?
    A|lucard. :mad:
  • edited December 2005
    yes chage compatabilty mode to 2000, then it works
  • edited December 2005
    yes chage compatabilty mode to 2000, then it works
    erm no it doesnt...
  • edited December 2005
    ryuanesha wrote:
    the instruction at 0x715a2f5c referenced memory at 0x0671fd4. this memory could not be found.
    no one likes to answor me *runs to a corner to cry* :eek3: I KILLED the thread again!
    :bawling:
  • edited January 2006
    Hello everyone. I'm kinda new to this particular board but I have read and re-read this entire thread many times in an attempt to do the same as all of you......successfully run "Black & White" on a windows xp pc.

System Information:

Processor: AMD64 2800+
    Memory: 2x512 DDR 400 (Kingston)
    OS: Windows XP Professional w/ SP2, all updates from windowsupdate.
    Vid Card: GeForce FX 5200 128mb DDR, 8x AGP
    Motherboard: MSI K8T-NeoFSR
    Sound: SBLive! 5.1 pci
    Video Drivers: (Original) NVIDIA N-Force drivers version 81.92
    DirectX - 9.0c

The original problem I was having was the same that many of you have been complaining about. Choppy graphics, weird lines, video artifacts, both in cut scenes and in the game itself. I tried many of the solutions listed in this forum, and nothing worked. To give you all a quick overview, this is what I have tried so far:

1) uninstalling/reinstalling the game, including wiping out all directories and registry entries

2) running dxdiag tests, re-installing/upgrading directx
    3) re-installing/updating VIA hyperion pro drivers, including the AGP driver
    4) re-installing/updating AMD64 processor drivers
    5) updating video drivers from nvidia.com
    6) Disabling agp fast write in bios
    7) using tweaked/altered versions of nvidia drivers (coolbits)
    8) DOWNGRADING drivers to pre 77.xx versions (catastrophe - system would not VISUALLY boot in any mode, SAFE or otherwise - I was forced to install an old PCI video adapter to get back into it.)

After that last step, my system would not visually boot at all if the AGP vid card was installed. I had to have ONLY the pci video card installed if I wanted to get to a desktop. Uninstalling the downgraded Nvidia drivers had no effect. Attempts to install upgraded nvidia drivers resulted in the setup program telling me, of course, that it did not detect any nvidia products.

What was left to do except the most dreaded of options: The system repair routine using the original install CD.

OVERVIEW:
    The XP pro software on my system was installed using a somewhat-dated corporate edition CD. Pre-SP1 edition.

The system was shut down to power off and I re-installed my GeForce card and set bios options for high performance (the way it was originally, 128mb paging, fast writes, and all). The system was powered on and allowed to boot from the CD, then completed the windows repair routine.

Immediately after the repair routine and restart, I was again able to get to a windows desktop. At that point I immediately ran the SP2 upgrade (windows xp SP2 standalone IT download) successfully (note: no internet connection, firewall, or antivirus software running while doing so).

After restart, I reconnected to the internet, went to windows update, and proceeded to download every update available, with the exception of the "newer" nvidia drivers provided by microsoft in their updated drivers section.

The next step was to update my sound drivers, which was easily done with a quick visit to www.creativelabs.com.

After all this was completed, I checked the drivers for the video card. They were simple, original Microsoft GeForce FX 5200 drivers. I tried Black & White. All video problems were gone. At that point I quit the game and set a system restore point, then went back to windowsupdate and downloaded and installed the newer Microsoft-sponsored Nvida driver and restarted the PC.
    Again, the game worked. Flawlessly. This is WITH AGP fast write turned on, 128mb shared system memory, the whole bit.

Conclusion: If you are using a downloaded driver pack from NVIDIA, this is probably the nature of your problem. I would suggest the following steps in order to install the default microsoft drivers to get the game to work:

1) Set a system restore point!

2) Go to add/remove programs in the control panel and uninstall the nvidia driver pack that you currently have installed. At the END of the uninstallation, DO NOT allow the computer to restart. Tell it you will restart later.

3) Go to the device manager (in the control panel, double click the "system" icon, select the "Hardware" tab, click the "Device Manager" button). In the device manager, click the plus sign next to the line that reads "Display adapters". RIGHT CLICK the listed video adapter, and select "properties".

4) In the video adapter properties window, select the "Driver" tab, and press the "Update Driver" button.

5) This should bring up the Hardware Update wizard window. Select "No, not this time" in the options at the botton of that window, then click "Next".

6) On the next screen, select "Install from a list or a specfic location (Advanced)" and click next.

7) On the next screen, select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install"
    , the click next.

8) The next screen that comes up should be the driver selection screen. Make sure that the "Show compatible hardware" option is checked. In the selection window below, look for a listing that reads "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation)". Select that listing, then click next. Allow the system to install the drivers, click "Finish", then close the video device properties window. At that point the system will want to restart. Let it.

When the system comes back up, it should come up normally and will have the default Microsoft version of the nvidia drivers installed. The game should run at this point. If you wish, you may go to windowsupdate.com and get the UPDATED Microsoft nvidia drivers....they seem to work just as well.

If you are dealing with a VIA chipset based system, you may also want to go to www.viaarena.com, drivers section, and download and install the latest via hyperion pro chipset drivers, as well as the USB 1.1 and 2.0 filter drivers. If you are fortunate enough to own an AMD64, you may also want to install/update the AMD64 processor driver, available from www.amd.com.

NOTE: The version of Black & White I have installed has been updated to version 1.2, and it is running successfully with NO compatibility options set.

Good luck everybody.

-Eric Hayes (PC Tech, Advanced Technical Solutions)
    ehayes2003@hotmail.com
  • edited January 2006
    Several of you also having a problem with USB mice in the game? I also had this same problem. As one of the posts earlier mentioned, turning off pointer acceleration will help this issue. However, some people do not have that option, depending on which mouse they have. There should be another option though, called "enhance pointer precision". Turn this, and any other enabled pointer options (snap to, pointer trails, etc) off and the mouse should function normally within the game.

-Eric Hayes (PC Tech, Advanced Technical Solutions)
    ehayes2003@hotmail.com
  • edited March 2006
    the side effect to this fix is that if you do this the game will run (with no artifacts) slower (on my comp it does, but at least its playable)

run dxdiag

goto [Display] tab
    click the Disable next to AGP Texture Acceleration

PS: Make sure you reenable it before playing anything else
  • edited March 2006
    Hello; I've just registered recently after viewing the information on this thread. I have the same problem with Black and White on Windows XP. Basically I'll click on it, The logo will pop up, and then it will just disappear like nothing ever happened. So, I downloaded the Patch thing, v1.20 or whatever...I set the compatability to Windows 98, did the same with the B&W shortcut, and got ready to play, thinking that my troubles would be over...But of course, nothing happened.
    Well, no, not true. I clicked the shortcut, and then this tiny, miniscule white box appears in the center of my screen. A moment passes and it disappears, then a moment passes and a box pops up on my screen for about seven seconds before disappearing.
    That's it.
    I am NOT smart with computers at ALL, I dont know my specs or anything, and all I know is that B&W worked when I didnt have XP...But now it wont.
    Can anyone help me? I'm really hoping to get this working soon, but I havent been successful in any of my attempts.
    And I've read all of the pages, but if I missed a few posts with some information, please dont yell at me ^^; I'm human.
  • edited April 2006
    When I try to install any of the patches i get an error box titled severe and says "You must first install Black &White to run this patch" even though it is installed. I tried changing it to win 98 compatibilty and putting in the default black and white directory with the other files. Please help me, I dont know what to do.
    this thread is prolly dead but just incase people havnt said the cure for this problem and i need to know
  • edited July 2006
    I have a problem with my game as well. I installed it on my windows XP and the game runs great without any problems... that is, until the text at the bottom begins to appear while someone is talking. The text can not be read because it is very choppy and does not make any sense. Then when I try and leave the game or go to the options menu all of the text on the menu is messed up as well.
    I used to play the game on my windows 98 and I never had this problem. Only now after I installed it on my XP. And I have uninstalled and reinstalled many times.
    I cannot find the solution to the problem anywhere. Please help.
  • edited August 2006
    Hi guys,

Just to say that i run on Win2k (bi athlon 2600+, 1024Mo RAM, Geforce 3) with patch 1.1 and the game crash after the splash screen (either silently or with a "... adresse memory cant be 'read' or 'written'" (not always the same!)
    BUT i noticed that the game runs when i have an internet explorer windows open in the background :thumbsup: .

Hope this help...
    (but having graphic bug when i try to put graphic detail to high :mean: )
  • edited September 2006
    i know this problem has been posted before but ( shows the b&w symbol stuff then just cuts out) ive tried back wards compact on 200 and 98 and 95 and i just get the run.exe error thingy ive tried patches 1.1 1.2 and 1.3 nothing has helped BUT when i first installed the game and ran it the first time it ran fine! so wtf?!?!?! ive ttried reinstalling it till my fingers bled please help me cos im beating my children every night just for sum1 to take it out on and now little timmy cant walk
  • edited September 2006
    B&W get about 20fps looking at the ground and about 8 or so when completly zoomed out. I put graphics on lowest and res at 640x480 and get the same fps. I've tried compatibly mode too. Is there a fix out for this?
    I'm running ver. 1.2
    My pc specs are:
    CPU: AMD XP 2600 Barton @ 1.9GHZ
    RAM: 1GB of ddr333
    Graphics card: Geforce 6800 128MB running 9.1.4.8 drivers tweaked by tweaks r us
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-7S748: North Bridge: SiS 748
    Directx: Directx 9.0c (Aug 2006)