Black and White Game on Windows XP?

Comments

• TeknozariTeknozari Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2004
    da6thSense wrote:
    HELP!!
    I got B&W to run on Xp with the patch 1.2 but once it's started, I had to face a new problem! You have to enter your name and symbol, but whenever I hit a mouse button, the game shuts down and returns to the desktop!! The mouse movement seems to be fine, I just can't puch any buttons....
    Does anybody have an idea?!?!
    Thanks

I have the same problem, and the suggestions that were made earlier did not work for me and I didn't find anything on gamefaqs. If anyone knows how to fix this, or has seen something on gamefaqs that I might have missed, can you let me know? Thanks! :)

-Oz :Canflag:
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited July 2004
    hey all of u im new and i just borrowed B&W from a friend to see if all ur suggestions and things uve all posted on this site work and i guess they do but the only problem is im not that much of a pro on a computer but i need to know who to do that "windows 98 compatibitlity" thing could anyone please tell me???please.:D

Apparently you did not read "all" the advice posted in this thread, because this question was asked and answered earlier in this thread:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151665&postcount=48

Also, for stuff like this, there is a handy little feature in your Windows XP called "HELP & SUPPORT" which can tell you the answer to Windows XP questions like this pretty easily. Type in "Compatibility Mode" and it willl tell you how to do this.

Dexter...
  • edited July 2004
    da6thSense wrote:
    HELP!!
    I got B&W to run on Xp with the patch 1.2 but once it's started, I had to face a new problem! You have to enter your name and symbol, but whenever I hit a mouse button, the game shuts down and returns to the desktop!! The mouse movement seems to be fine, I just can't puch any buttons....
    Thanks

This sounds very much like a problem I once had, and I learned that it had to do with a Windows XP Critical Update. I uninstalled that particular update and the game worked fine. I just wish I could remember which critical update causes the problem. I found out the answer (as well as the solution to correct the problem) though in the Planet Black and White forums, so you might want to try there. Good luck! Here is the URL to planet Black and White.

www.planetblackandwhite.com/
  • edited July 2004
    for Windows XP uninstall hotfix B824141

Good Luck
  • edited July 2004
    When I try to install any of the patches i get an error box titled severe and says "You must first install Black &White to run this patch" even though it is installed. I tried changing it to win 98 compatibilty and putting in the default black and white directory with the other files. Please help me, I dont know what to do.
  • edited July 2004
    When you used a copy of a installed version the program cannot find the Registry setting.
    OR
    You use a different language version.
    Search for a Registry patch maybe someware in this forum.
    OR
    first put the patch file in the B&W map en try again.
    I hope ......................................................
  • TeknozariTeknozari Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Teknozari wrote:
    I have the same problem, and the suggestions that were made earlier did not work for me and I didn't find anything on gamefaqs. If anyone knows how to fix this, or has seen something on gamefaqs that I might have missed, can you let me know? Thanks! :)

-Oz :Canflag:

Anyhoo, I solved the problem, I just uninstalled the hotfix. Thanks for the help! L8terz!

:Canflag:
  • edited July 2004
    When you used a copy of a installed version the program cannot find the Registry setting.
    OR
    OR

Bebaas, I don't know if you are answering my question but if your are I dont understand what you are telling me to do. I didnt find any map directory and no my game is installed fresh from the cd.
  • edited July 2004
    i am having major problems trying to get Black and white to run properly on XP Home. i installed it with no patches and it was running fine, no glitches or freezes. but when i tried to exit the game it made my entire PC restart. If i tried to go back to the game it would start right from the begining, not where i left off, i tried loding saved games but they were all screwed up.

After reading the advice on this forum i downloaded and installed the V1.2 patch and tried running it first in normal mode (i got exactly the same problem with exiting the game as before) and then in windows 98 compatability mode........which made the game just randomly crash and shut down after about 4 minutes of playing.

Anyone have any ideas for a fix? I've been searching through a few forums and no-one has mentioned any similar problems. I really want to play this game again.
  • edited July 2004
    Hmmm, I seem to have a different problem.

I tried downloading the 1.2 patch, but it claims that I "need to install Black and White before you can patch it."

I intalled with Class, could that have anything to do with it?

I did some other research, and the EA support site claims that I need to force the game to think that it should not connect to the internet.
    Q. BLACK & WHITE IS CRASHING AT THE INITIAL 'TIPS OF THE DAY' SCREEN.

We have seen this crash occur on systems that try to connect to the Internet at the 'Tips of the Day' screen. To force Black & White into thinking that there is NO Internet connection you can do the following:

* Right click on the runBlack.exe file - the default location for this should be C:\Program Files\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White - and select the Create Shortcut option.
    * Right click on the Shortcut to runBlack.exe file and select the Properties option.
    * In the box labelled Target type in the following command at the end of the path description: /NOINETCONN
    * Click the OK button at the bottom of the box and then double-click the Shortcut to runBlack.exe to run the game.

If this does not solve the problem try installing the latest videocard and soundcard drivers. These updated drivers are available from your card manufacturers' websites, the web addresses should be provided with the documentation that came with your video and sound cards or PC. For help with DirectX and information on how to update your DirectX video card and sound card drivers try our helpful Update Your Drivers guide at http://common.ea-europe.com/gens/drivers.htm.

Programs that run in the background can cause problems when starting or running Black & White. To close down these programs hold down the CTRL and ALT buttons together and press DELETE once, the CLOSE PROGRAM window appears. Highlight a program in the CLOSE PROGRAM window and click onto END TASK at the bottom of the window to close the currently highlighted program. Repeat this process for the other programs making sure that EXPLORER and SYSTRAY are the only programs left running.

However, there is no obvious way to change the "target type" of the shortcut, in XP. does anybody know a way?
  • edited July 2004
    DeBaas wrote:
    OR
    OR

Hmmm, the Class version came with a registry setup, but that doesn't seem to be working.

what do you mean by "first put the patch file in the B&W map en try again."?
  • edited August 2004
    How to uninstall a hotfix???

i dont get it :S
  • edited August 2004
    ok i figured that out..

but it says that if i delete it lots of my programs dont work anymore...

just delete it ???
    when im uninstalling it it said... if u delete this your pc may not work normal anymore :mean: i dont get it
    edited August 2004
    That's just a generic warning, don't worry about it. Although, as I have stated in this thread, I never had to disable that hotfix to get B&W to work on my Windows XP.

Dexter...
    edited August 2004
    Untitled wrote:
    However, there is no obvious way to change the "target type" of the shortcut, in XP. does anybody know a way?

Sorry for the late reply...but, you misread the instructions. Look at like this:
    In the box labelled "Target"

type in the following command

at the end of the path description: /NOINETCONN

You are not looking for a "Target type." You need to TYPE in the box labelled "Target."

Dexter...
  • edited August 2004
    Well i deleted the hotfix and now it works...

thx all u guys :Canflag:
  • edited August 2004
    hey all.... I really like this game, i have started playing it when appeared... Then i had windows 98.. Three days ago, i have installed windows XP, and had your problems:) Now i see i had to download the patch. I`m happy i found why my game wasn`t working.

I really think this game is the best i have ever played :D

I want to play Black and white 2!!! But in my country didn`t appeared in shops:( I really want to play it.

Bye!!!
  • edited September 2004
    ive found this site really helpful, thanks guys, im downloading the patch as im typing this, incase i got future problems, here r my specs:

i hope its not a problem with what we all bought, lol

AMD ATHLON64 3200+ BOX
    AMD64 S754 ASUS K8V-SE DLX K8T800
    KINGSTON KVR 400MHZ DDR NO-ECC 512MEG KIT
    ASUS AGP GFX V9570TD GFX-5700 256Meg

so with this stuff, it should easily run, we will just wait and c, i might get the mouse problem, so ill just slow it down, stupid problems

edited September 2004
    dalailama wrote:
    ive found this site really helpful, thanks guys, im downloading the patch as im typing this, incase i got future problems, here r my specs:

i hope its not a problem with what we all bought, lol

AMD ATHLON64 3200+ BOX
    AMD64 S754 ASUS K8V-SE DLX K8T800
    KINGSTON KVR 400MHZ DDR NO-ECC 512MEG KIT
    ASUS AGP GFX V9570TD GFX-5700 256Meg

so with this stuff, it should easily run, we will just wait and c, i might get the mouse problem, so ill just slow it down, stupid problems

You've got a pretty smoking' system there, you should have no trouble on the Video card end. Follow the advice in the thread here, and you should be okay.

Dexter...
  • edited September 2004
    i downloaded the patch from the site u gave, and installed it, works like a charm, the ground is purple is some spots, but thats ok, i guess it suppose to be like that, lol, i love blowing stuff up...

thanks, only paid 1500 for it canadian, and its pretty godly
  • edited September 2004
    malex wrote:
    hey all.... I really like this game, i have started playing it when appeared... Then i had windows 98.. Three days ago, i have installed windows XP, and had your problems:) Now i see i had to download the patch. I`m happy i found why my game wasn`t working.

I really think this game is the best i have ever played :D

I want to play Black and white 2!!! But in my country didn`t appeared in shops:( I really want to play it.

Bye!!!

dude, if u have a friend in another country, send em the cash and ask em to buy it for u, lol, hope i solved that for u
  • edited November 2004
    hi there,

i'm from france so my english could be not so good,

i tried to run black & white on my pc,
    running :

windows xp sp2,
    with a gforce 4 ti4400, dx9 etc.

i installed the patch 1.20, and tried the win98 compability, but i still have the same problems (looks to be the direct3d compability or something... dunno, the game is ok, but the textures are... well, strange. jumping and jumping.)

what else could i do ?
    thanks for your help

jean
  • edited November 2004
    jeannot wrote:
    hi there,

i'm from france so my english could be not so good,

i tried to run black & white on my pc,
    running :

windows xp sp2,
    with a gforce 4 ti4400, dx9 etc.

i installed the patch 1.20, and tried the win98 compability, but i still have the same problems (looks to be the direct3d compability or something... dunno, the game is ok, but the textures are... well, strange. jumping and jumping.)

what else could i do ?
    thanks for your help

jean

Same Problem Here. Followed in her same steps too.

AMD Athlon XP +2400
    512 DDR
    ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB DDR AND NVIDIA GeForce
    in same box with ATI as primary display..........could two displays be a problem?
    Anyway, mine doesn't even load the game, it just crashes back to desktop after splash screen. When it comes to uninstalling hotfixes, that is NOT recommended; and, even if i wanted to, i couldn't because it was part of SP2. In that case, i would have to reinstall windows xp fresh. Even then, it would have sp1 on it. Yes i have the Patch installed and everything..... Anyone with sp2 get this to run??? PLEASE help!!!! My little brother wants to play this game so bad.....otherwise, i would have left it in storage :p
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited November 2004
    da6thSense wrote:
    HELP!!
    Thanks

If u have a logitech keyboard turn function lock off.
  • edited November 2004
    hey.

just a reminder of what im using:
    256 meg gfx5700 asus video card
    512 meg kingston DDR ram
    amd athlon 64bit 3200+ processor

most of us have the problem, have an amd systems, but i dont think thats what is causing it, dont uninstal nething, thats just stupid, try uninstalling the game, then instal it, then install patch 1.2 that fixed the problem for me
  • edited November 2004
    First off i would like to say thankyou to you guys here who helped me make B&W work on Xp. O my 98, the screen would keep darkening and going black with dodgy colours etc.

Secondly, i would like to post a warning. Some of you suggeeted uninstalling hotfix kb824141. A while back i was trying to fix this problem nad did indeed attempt to uninstall it. The messages i got read something like this -

"File name could not be changed. Click browse to find it or ok to continue"
    It was looking where it was, as i could see it, so i clicked ok after bwosing repeatedly.

"Warning, continuing setup may stop your computer from working if file name has not been removed properly"
    I carried on for a bit, but everyfile it came across it wanted be to browse for (there were only 2, asked me twice for each). So i clicked cancel uninstall nd got this
    "Warning, not continuing setup may stop your computer from working"

I had no choice, stopped it comp didnt reboot, 1 week later all gcse coursework lost we had to reformat hard drive to get windows back. Every1 else could get their data but i had a password on my user account- aaaaagh.

My advice- dont ever uninstall a hotfix
    Evesham micro advie - only ever install security and hish priority hot fixes

Geoffrey
  • edited November 2004
    c, i told u guys u were stupid if u tried to remove a hot fix, microsoft isnt a multi billion dollar company because they make stupid patches, lol
  • edited November 2004
    I don't like bringing up old threads, but...

I have a particular problem regariding Black and White, and I've tried EA's tech support, GameFaqs, and Google searching frantically - which is actually what brought me here.

I can't even get Black and White to install. I've had this same problem every time I've tried to install Black and White, on different systems and with different CDs.

When installing, I get an error saying an installer bitmap in a temporary directory cannot be installed. Afterwards, the installation crashes and each time I try to repeat the installation, it does the same thing.

I've restarted, cleaned out the temp directory after each install attempt, ran the installation file under various different compatibility modes, closed all user processes besides Explorer and Task Manager, but nothing's working.

Anyone have an idea of how to help?
  • edited December 2004
    Hey guys,i got the patch,and ive got the most recent Gforce drivers.The game didnt used to run.And now it does after i put on a V1.100 patch but the in game graphics are really messed up,i tried this new V1.20 patch but same problem,no effect whatsoever,i was wonderin if u cud help me?

I got Gforce 4mx
    1G of DDR ram
    2.01Ghz AMD
    120G hard drive

the graphics turn funny colours and i get big scrawly lines accross the screen
  • edited December 2004
    Hello, If i try save i have an error "microsoft visual c++ runtime library" "runtime error! program: c:\progra~1\lionhe~1\black&~1\runblack.exe abnormal program termination. Ive tried all the things Ive read in this post except deleteing the hotfix I dont think Ill try that but I have up to date video drivers and directx. Game runs fine till I reach the thrid island