Black and White Game on Windows XP?

Comments

• edited February 2005
    Hey whats up everybody, i have XP with SP2 and i figured out how to run Black & White with a great frame rate as well as excellent gfx. im running with a celron 1.7ghz overclocked to a 2.5 geforce 4 mx 64mb video and about 512 of ram. I updated to nvidia's latest drivers and used the shortcut in the sys tray to change the image settings to high perfromace and left everything else at the programs will. All the nasty lines caused in the begining and all frezzing ceased to exist. Problem solved.
  • edited March 2005
    'Lo all. I joined this forum specifically for a solution to this issue, as it seems that many people are enjoying playing B&W on their XP systems now, the members here seem to be knowledgable, and the thread is still relatively active.
    I thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

So here's the problem:
    My game system is a refurbished Compaq
    900 Mhz Duron (@900mhz)
    Uwave2 mobo (aka: FIC AZ-31)
    Original system BIOS
    512meg SDRAM
    GeForce4 440 MX w/AGP8X (64meg DDR on card)
    Nvidia driver 6.6.9.3
    DirectX version 9.0c
    Windows XP Pro (5.1, Build 2600) w/ SP2

The game core runs fine, I have no hangs nor spontanious kick-outs from the game. My problem is in the textures displayed in the game. I can't verbally describe the problem, so I will resort to screenshots to show you what I see.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/legion_o_doom/BWflaw001.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/legion_o_doom/BWflaw002.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/legion_o_doom/BWflaw003.jpg
    As you can see, much of the landscape is blurred and blued out. Mountains tend to be transparent when you get too close to them. The ground disappears when close up on it.
    As you can imagine, it's rather difficult to rain down terror on unsuspecting foes if I can't properly see my launch ramps...err...mountain ranges. Navigation is also rather difficult.
    I have tried compatibility modes for both Win98, and Win2000
    I have applied patches 1.1, and 1.2 both sequentially, and exclusively.
    I have turned down all the resolution settings, draw distances, and graphics detail levels, to no avail. The flaw occurs under all the various settings.
    My particular BIOS does not have advanced settings for the AGP speed, leading me to believe that only AGPX1 is applicable with this system.
    Questions?
    Comments?
    Obscene remarks?
    I call to the heavens, please hear me!
    Many thanks, o higher powers.

Compwurx
    The demonic God
    with an angelic creature
  • edited April 2005
    Compwurx wrote:
    The game core runs fine, I have no hangs nor spontanious kick-outs from the game. My problem is in the textures displayed in the game. I can't verbally describe the problem, so I will resort to screenshots to show you what I see.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/legion_o_doom/BWflaw001.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/legion_o_doom/BWflaw002.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/legion_o_doom/BWflaw003.jpg
    As you can see, much of the landscape is blurred and blued out. Mountains tend to be transparent when you get too close to them. The ground disappears when close up on it.
    As you can imagine, it's rather difficult to rain down terror on unsuspecting foes if I can't properly see my launch ramps...err...mountain ranges. Navigation is also rather difficult.
    I have tried compatibility modes for both Win98, and Win2000
    I have applied patches 1.1, and 1.2 both sequentially, and exclusively.
    I have turned down all the resolution settings, draw distances, and graphics detail levels, to no avail. The flaw occurs under all the various settings.
    My particular BIOS does not have advanced settings for the AGP speed, leading me to believe that only AGPX1 is applicable with this system.

I have the same problem. I have tryed everything. Still no good. If anyone can help, I would be verey grateful. I have always got games running in the past, but this one is winning at the moment. :bawling:
  • edited April 2005
    sounds like i've got quite a different prob than most you guys experience....i'm trying to get the game to work on my laptop because i know it's an old school game and i always loved it. my problem is.... after the black and white splash screen loads..... my computer totally crashes (blue screen and everything) and the computer turns off before i can read the error message on the blue screen. i have tried all the B&W patches, compatibility modes of all OS's. i run the diagnostics from the CD and everything checks ok. i'm pretty sure i have at least directx 8 and i have played around with dxdiag.exe to make sure all the sound and video tests work. but nothing i seem to do gets rid of this stupid blue screen message that turns the computer off. any ideas?

system specs (i know it's old but they still meet sys requirements haha)

dell latitude cpxj650
    PIII 650MHZ (diagnostics say it is 417 but is still above minimum)
    256MB PC133
    ATI RAGE 8mb AGP

thanks guys.

edit: oops i'm running xp sp2
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited April 2005
    fenderi wrote:

ATI RAGE 8mb AGP

That's pretty bare minimum for this game. You may be out of luck....

Dexter...
  • edited April 2005
    i felt that maybe so, however would that cause the blue screen of death killing my laptop?
  • edited April 2005
    I was wondering where everyone is getting this patch from..I was sooo excited to find a copy of this game and alas..I realize that it HATES XP, grrrrr...anyways, I tried the 1.30 patch and it is telling me that a file is missing now....PLEASE HELP!

I really just want to play the game..its been 5 years since I have played it...and now that I have my very own copy..i would like to again...without booting up my crappy old 98 system. :(
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I tried 1.3 on my system and it also had a problem - I think the 1.3 patch is only for certain controllers. I reinstalled the game and applied 1.2 and the game works flawlessly.
  • edited May 2005
    Ok, I'm not really gifted in computers or whatever so forgive me asking dumb questions if that's what they come off on as.

Firstly I won't to mention that I have apparently the same graphics card that was already mentioned to conflict with running Black and White. I get the same exact graphic problems already mentioned.

First question, what does the hotfix 824141 do and how is it going to affect my system if I uninstall it?

Second, how do I run things in compatibility mode?

Thirdly, how do I run the game with 256 colors?

Any help is appreciated.
  • edited May 2005
    İve got
    6600GT geforce 128mb
    768Mb ddr400 ram
    P4 3.0 Hyperthreading
    Asus p5 mothercard
    but icant play that game i tried to install 1.2 patch but its says LHLlogr.dll cant find what im going to do please help im going to crazy :banghead:
  • edited May 2005
    Boris24 wrote:
    İve got
    6600GT geforce 128mb
    768Mb ddr400 ram
    P4 3.0 Hyperthreading
    Asus p5 mothercard
    but icant play that game i tried to install 1.2 patch but its says LHLlogr.dll cant find what im going to do please help im going to crazy :banghead:

Boris24 and all :
    Had the same problems as some of you with Black and White on Windows XP.
    Clicked icon, game would make it to the splash screen, then another window showed with "Options" on the menu bar and "Lionhead" on the title bar.Then it would disappear, and the game never started.

Someone was correct, the Black & White 1.20 patch fixes the problem (although not written to fix that problem) BUT you must be using Windows XP SP1 and the shortcut must be set for Windows 98 Compatibility mode.

If you use Windows XP SP2 as I do... Forget it the game will not run.

Ronin One
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    I have XP SP2 and do NOT have it set to compatibilty mode and everything works fine, so it might not have anything to do with those things.
  • edited May 2005
    Tailsbe wrote:
    Hello, If i try save i have an error "microsoft visual c++ runtime library" "runtime error! program: c:\progra~1\lionhe~1\black&~1\runblack.exe abnormal program termination. Ive tried all the things Ive read in this post except deleteing the hotfix I dont think Ill try that but I have up to date video drivers and directx.
    Hi, I just recently pulled the game back out and intalled on my XP system, I've got the same problem as this...When it autosaves or manual save this happens! I have current drivers and patch v1.20. but still to my frustration!

It's really bugging me and would much much appreciate if anybody has remedied this??

Cheers,
    Daz.
  • edited June 2005
    I have XP SP2 and do NOT have it set to compatibilty mode and everything works fine, so it might not have anything to do with those things.

Curious Primesuspect ,
    Black and White stopped working right after I installed Windows XP SP2. Before that, it worked with XP SP1 with the 1.2 patch applied set in Windows 98 compatibility mode.

I have AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz processor, a Radeon 7000 32Meg AGP video card, and 256 Megs Ram.

What are running B&W using?
    Ronin One
  • edited June 2005
    OK, I just bought Black and White. I installed it and tried to play but it just started and then Quit out, yes I have xp. I was reading that a way to fix this is to Install Patch 1.2, I quickly Downloaded the patch and tried to install it. I will start to install and then is says "neither command line parameter specified is an existing directory.I click ok and it says that it cant be installed to that area. I tried to install v 1.1 first and it does the same thing but the second pop up says that I dont have the Correct version of Black and White to use this patch... I have tried re-installing multiple times... Suggestions?
  • edited June 2005
    OK, I just bought Black and White. I installed it and tried to play but it just started and then Quit out, yes I have xp. I was reading that a way to fix this is to Install Patch 1.2, I quickly Downloaded the patch and tried to install it. I will start to install and then is says "neither command line parameter specified is an existing directory.I click ok and it says that it cant be installed to that area. I tried to install v 1.1 first and it does the same thing but the second pop up says that I dont have the Correct version of Black and White to use this patch... I have tried re-installing multiple times... Suggestions?

Where did u get the 1.2 patch from
  • edited June 2005

I'm having the exact same problem and i can't find the answer anywhere else.
  • KeiyentaiKeiyentai Mount Vernon, Wa
    edited June 2005
    I can get B&W installed and have sound only problem is my graphics look like an old Nintendo Cartridge that needs MAJOR cleaning. I have the 1.2Patch and it's anoying cuase when I had my 1.7Ghz Celeron Chip it ran fine but I upgraded to a 2.0Ghz P4 Northwood w/512k Cache and been having issues since. It makes me mad...if any one can find a Fix I would be verry greatful.

CPU: P4 2.0 Northwood w/512k Cache
    Mobo: Asus P4533S-X
    RAM: 768MB DDR PC 2700
    Video: ATI Radeon 9000 64MB DDR non Pro
    O/S: Windows XP SP2
  • edited June 2005

I found the answer. uninstall B&W and then reinstall it in a directory path that has NO spaces.

like:
    C:\bnw

but not:
    C:\Program Files\bnw

patches should then work
  • edited June 2005
    I've got a new problem. I installed the 1.2 patch, but now when I start, the splash screen is replaced by a small white square, Then ingame, alot of the graphics are corrupted, such as the intro scene with the displacement map and in-game trees etc. Any ideas? I have the latest Nvdia drivers, and have a GeForce 4 ti 4600 and a AMD XP 2500+. :banghead: Please help
  • edited June 2005
    Wisehorn wrote:
    I've got a new problem. I installed the 1.2 patch, but now when I start, the splash screen is replaced by a small white square, Then ingame, alot of the graphics are corrupted, such as the intro scene with the displacement map and in-game trees etc. Any ideas? I have the latest Nvdia drivers, and have a GeForce 4 ti 4600 and a AMD XP 2500+. :banghead: Please help

(1) uninstall, defragment
    (2) is windows fully patched?
    (3) update direct x (i bet your using direct x 8.1)
    (4) reinstall
    (5) change the compatibility mode of runblack.exe

tell me if this works
  • edited July 2005
    I've got the same problem. Game starts, but when loading screen apears it shuts down to desktop.

I reinstalled my pc yesterday. Before reïnstall I could play the game, but autosave caused it to crash and I had to use the task manager to close it. I couldn't even go to the second level.

I tried:
    - No patch
    - Patch 1.10
    - Patch 1.20 (1.30 is only for P5 glove edition, whatever that is)
    - /NOINETCONN
    - Compatibility mode

Athlon 2500+
    1 gb DDR-400
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe - NForce 5.10 drivers
    GF4 Ti 4200 128 mb - 77.72 drivers
    WinXP SP2

The following messages appear in the computermanagement logs (don't know what's it called it in English)

Crappy translation from dutch error messages:
    Description for event-ID (0) cannot be found in source (). The local computer possibly does not have the required register data or Dll-bulletin files to be able to reflect reports of an external computer. You can possibly use the link option /AUXSOURCE = to pick up this description, see Help and Support for details. The following data are part of the event: 7.

What's that /auxsource?

Crashed application: runblack.exe, version 1.0.0.1, crashed module: lhlogr.dll, version 1.0.0.1, crashed on: 0x0000a2f3
    See Help and Support on http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp for more information.

This message only appears twice, in about 10 crashes.

I hope it can be solved, was just starting to like the game again.

Edit: Found another message which doesn't appear as an error:
    Application, C:\Games\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White\runblack.exe, has caused an error. The error has occurred on 01-07-2005 on 23:21:08:171. The generated exception is c0000005 on adres 0032A343 (LHLogR!OpenOrCreateRegistryKey)
    This lhlogr is the same as the dll referred to in the error message above and the first message also reflects to an registry error.
  • edited July 2005
    you can find most answers to black and white questions here:

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetblackandwhite/topic.asp?fid=1678&tid=1238371
  • :confused::scratch: I have a problamo! :bawling: When i install b&w i select play now. :D Happy so far. Which is where my problem comes in. :banghead: The window comes on... :celebrate And then flashes off. :aol: Plz help! :necro:
  • I Done It!!!
  • edited July 2005
    i have a problem...
    lets cut to the chase whenever i try to play b&w it comes up in a window but all around it it has flashing lines that occasionly go solid but the game gets up to where you have to choose your simbol but when you click the mouse it says there is a problem with RUNBLACK.EXE and closes the game :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
  • yoctobyteyoctobyte Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand
    edited August 2005
    This is what I was about to post before:
    I have a common problem without a common solution: The game crashes after the initial LIONHEAD window with the OPTIONS sub-menu on the menu

bar. I have tried the following (in correct order):

1) Installed V1.1 Patch
    2) Installed V1.3 Patch after realising there was unofficial patches :p
    3) Uninstalled V1.3 Patch - must have the P5 Glove for it to run!
    4) Installed V1.2 Patch
    5) Set to Windows 98 compatibility
    6) Installed V1.3 Patch and P5dll.dll - but wait, it claims I have already installed this patch, even though I uninstalled it! Is this because it is

unofficial?
    7) The TNT2 drivers have been downgraded, upgraded, regraded, supergraded, subgraded, nanograded, and all together screwed up (causing my

display to revert back to 640x480x4 [16 colour], and as a result, I now use an older driver)...
    8) Restarted several times in between stuffing up drivers :p

I am running a PC with:
    - Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition SP2
    - nVidia RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro graphics card (don't laugh)

I know someone said earlier that if you have SP2, you're screwed. Hopefully this isn't the case.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully someone is still scanning this thread, as I realise the last post was a couple of weeks back.

Cheers to all who can help,
    -- Yoctobyte

But, for some reason, the game now works like a charm, with the exception of a little lag! But I would still be interested on finding out why it works now, so, if anyone knows, I'd be grateful if they would tell!

The moral of the story is don't try to fix a problem after 2am, you'll only end up making it worse... unless you're incredibly lucky like I was today/yesterday :thumbsup:

Well, at least I can rest easy now...
    -- Yoctobyte
  • edited August 2005
    Look, guys, i joined here just for this.
    here's my situation, as if you all havent heard this one already.
    I just got B&W Deluxe from GameStop with (aparrently, from what i see in the readme) v1.40!
    I install it fine, but i notice one thing:
    Wheni get to the EAsy Info thing, that tells you your system stats, it shows my processor speed or something as a negative number
    i ignored it, andi started installing the game.... la la la... ah, here! It starts CI, but as soon as it starts, it shuts down with the "send Error Report" popup :confused: HELP :aol: my computer hates me!

EDIT: Wait, what's this P5 glove? i remeber reading about it in a readme.... Yeah, i run a WinXP with SP2, and have a NVidia GeForce FX 5200 with 6.14.10.4523 driver version (i'm pretty sure there is something better out... 77XX, or something) And i know B&W hates NVidia, but still Um, any other edits for me?...

EDIT: Ok, i went back to 1.2 (turns out i had 1.3, who'd've thunk it?), updated my graphics card, and said a million prayers. :screwed: i got it.... still nothing. same as before
  • edited August 2005
    Please somebody tell me where I can find Black & White 1.0 original (not cracked) runblack.exe? I need to patch my game.
  • edited August 2005
    Hi guys,

I've also joined the board for this very problem, and it seems a lot of useful help has been given out already.

I have the following system specs:
    • Athlon 3200+ @ 2.2GHz
    • ASUS Radeon 9800XT 258MB running Omega 2.5.76 drivers
    • 1GB DDR400 Dual Channel RAM
    • On-board AC'97 Audio (Gigabyte GA-7N400-L mobo)
    • DirectX 9.0c
    • MS IntelliMouse 4.0

My copy of Black & White is fresh installed, then patched to v1.2. It's set to Windows 2000 compatibility, and runs fine - except the game lags while the mouse is moving. I stop the mouse, the game runs fine, till I move it again. My mouse is connected using the normal USB connector, and running the newest IntelliPoint drivers.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)