The FINAL final Short-Media LAN #1 Thread

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited May 2004 in Gaming
Well folks here it is:

The first ever gathering of the short-medians.

SHORT-MEDIA LAN #1

May 14th-16th, 2004

Maximum capacity: 60 people, registration on a first come-first served basis
Registration Fee: $20 US per person
Games: TBA
Please PM primesuspect for registration and information

Lodging Notes:

Floor space is available at Deebe's, if you really don't mind sleeping on a hard floor. Bring a pillow!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Now, I'm going to assume that everyone who paid for the LAN already is still going. If you CAN'T go because of the dates or whatever, let me know and I'll refund your fee.

We currently have 19 MORE spots available. I imagine I'll have to PM everybody individually about re-confirming, since some of the people who confirmed barely visit anymore or don't visit at all.

Once you are confirmed, you will have access to the SM LAN Attendees forum, where we discuss things like what games will be played and all that.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited February 2004
    Uhmm....thats memorial day weekend. I *might* be drunk off my ass for 72 hours straight @ Indy. I'd assume same goes with Pseudo....but he might wanna play video games instead. So uhh...I'm confirmed but I might drop out to go to Indy.
  • edited February 2004
    McBain wrote:
    Uhmm....thats memorial day weekend. I *might* be drunk off my ass for 72 hours straight @ Indy. I'd assume same goes with Pseudo....but he might wanna play video games instead. So uhh...I'm confirmed but I might drop out to go to Indy.

But DUDE... getting drunk isn't a way to remember soldiers who died, playing video games is!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2004
    TheSmJ wrote:
    But DUDE... getting drunk isn't a way to remember soldiers who died, playing video games is!
    That's a good point! :thumbsup:

Besides, they run the Indy 500 every year. How often do you get to go to the First Ever S-M LAN Party? :nudge:

...still trying to find a way to go. Supposed to move end of May... :banghead:
    edited February 2004
    If only you could experience the joy that it is indy, you'd understand.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Well I know that GHoosdum, CBDroege and I cannot make it up that weekend because of a previous commitment so a refund of our money is unfortunatly required.
    edited February 2004
    doh!

Perhaps a bump in the weekend to June 4,5, and 6 would be more appropriate?

I want as many people as possible to be able to attend. I think I gave the owner sufficient advance notice to change it by a week at this point in the game.

What say the rest of you? 4-6th better for everybody?
    edited February 2004
    I'm wondering if there will be conflicts with end of school year/college term stuff for a lot of people.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    4-6 would bother my graduation schedule a lot less.
    edited February 2004
    omg it will never end. There is no perfect date for this many people... :(
    edited February 2004
    omg it will never end. There is no perfect date for this many people... :(
    So true. In my case, 4th of July weekend looks better. :p

I was just mentioning the graduation/final exam stuff as something that would affect the largest number of people.

Maybe a non-binding poll with several different weekends to pick from?
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited February 2004
    "Plan it and they will come."

Those that want to and can will.
    Those that want to and can't won't.

You're not going to be able to find a date that fits around all schedules. Don't pull your hair out, prime. Deep breaths. Deep breaths.
    edited February 2004
    May is fine! I'm coming, no matter what. I'm just saying that 4-6 is better. Don't worry about me. I'm just 1/60.
    edited February 2004
    Right, but three people who I wanted to meet just bailed because of the particular weekend, so I'd rather move it..

Don't worry, you're just a local shmuck. You'll be there and LIKE IT, WHENEVER I SAY ;D

/me whips thrax.
    edited February 2004
    how about the weeked before memorial day. Colleges will have been out for a few weeks by then and high schools still won't be graduating so we avoid all the grad parties and commencments.
    edited February 2004
    can't do it before. Space is unavailable.
  • edited March 2004
    McBain wrote:
    If only you could experience the joy that it is indy, you'd understand.

i'm assuming you're talking about car racing, the most boring thing to ever watch. you're saying you'd rather watch cars go in a circle 500 times than lan?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    I will be unable to participate on the May 28 - 30th. I should be able to attend if it were to be June 4-6th.

-QCH
    edited March 2004
    Xenogeared wrote:
    i'm assuming you're talking about car racing, the most boring thing to ever watch. you're saying you'd rather watch cars go in a circle 500 times than lan?

Ok, yes, a lan is much more fun that watching cars go around a track 500 times.

If you've ever been there, you'd know what I'm talking about when I am referancing the coke fields. Its a rather large field located diagonally from the stadium where approximately 10,000 people camp the weekend of the race. My friends frat typically goes down a few days before the weekend to secure a roadside spot to camp. We basically camp and party with about 10,000 other people along with the mardi gras atmosphere(read: Boobies!).

Its the most rediculous time you could ever have, and then top off that with one of the most famous races.

I mean, we don't even stay for the whole race, just go in, check out the fly-overs, watch 20-50 laps, get real close to the track to semi-experience the speed and power and noise of these cars....its pretty unique.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    oooooo new LAN thread and dates

/me scurries off to contemplate (and posts to subscribe to the thread... :D )
    edited March 2004
    Okay, what about June 18th, 19th, 20th?
    edited March 2004
    Uh... That's Father's day weekend, isn't.
    edited March 2004
    omg /me explodes
    edited March 2004
    BUY A DAMN CALENDER!!!!

Then put a poll up. Also, Pseudo has been down @ skip barber racing school all week, so if you've been pm'ing him with no response, thats why.
    edited March 2004
    It's not just that... It was hard enough to convince the owner to move his bible study group that has the space every friday for the next two years. So changing the dates is really difficult since I'm at the whim of the availability of the space, not the calendar.
    edited March 2004
    God can wait! We have l337ness to purvey!
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited March 2004
    ;D

Be careful of lightning. :D
    Thrax wrote:
    God can wait! We have l337ness to purvey!
    edited March 2004
    edited March 2004
    I'm really intrested in the June 4 -6. I will be in Detroit for a Irish Dance Competition that weekend. Anyone going to be around the Wixom area? That's where I'd be staying.
    edited March 2004
    Sorry to say it, QCH, but those dates are blacked out by the venue.

We have to decide between the following three weekends:

May 14th - 16th
    May 28th - 30th
    June 18th -20th

What say you all?