The FINAL final Short-Media LAN #1 Thread

Comments

• CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    my vote is for June 18th
  • edited March 2004
    Dont worry about me, I'll make time for whatever weekend it is.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited March 2004
    irish dance competition?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2004
    DogSoldier wrote:
    irish dance competition?
    Sounds like an excuse to go drinking. :vimp:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    What say you all?

Why not turn this into a poll, good sir?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    DogSoldier wrote:
    irish dance competition?
    My daughter is dancing at a Feis (Irish Dance Compitition) on June 5th.

As far as the LAN... Since that's a really long way to go twice in a few weeks and I will have to be away from our baby (by then she'll be less than a month old) I will have to decline the offer for this LAN... :bawling: Please forward my registration money to SMx Fund.

I would like to meet anyone that lives in the Detroit area when I'm there on June 4-6th.

I was/am really excited to meet a lot of the SM family... but my family will really need me around.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    QCH:

:(

I forwarded your reg fee to marc for the SMx fund.. Thanks for your donation :thumbsup:

but i still wish you could make it
    edited March 2004
    ABOUT THE VENUE:

This is the good bit. The LAN will be held at Deebe's Coffee Bar in Warren, MI.

The basement, which is where the LAN is going to be held, is a huge open room with tables and chairs enough for everybody.

The internet access is 768K.

There is a wireless LAN in place for anybody who needs it.

There is a COFFEE SHOP AND CAFE EIGHT FEET UPSTAIRS. The owner has agreed to leave the coffee shop open 24 hours a day that weekend just for us. They are a fully stocked gourmet coffee bar with many fine coffees and espresso drinks in addition to soda/pop (depending on where you're from), fruit smoothies, iced coffee drinks, bottled juice, a variety of teas, and french/italian sodas. The cafe offers excellent salads, fantastic deli sandwiches, and all kinds of munchies (cookies, candy, peanuts, pretzels, chips, etc.)

There is a NO ALCOHOL ON PREMISES rule in effect. Also, after midnight, there is no loitering in the parking lot.

The inside premises is no smoking. Smoking is allowed outside.

NO OUTSIDE FOOD OR DRINKS can be brought in. The owner was kinda strict on this. Sorry. :(
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited March 2004
    June 19th is my wedding anniversay, but it's my 22nd so it's not like it's special or anything. ;):D;D

Just let me know when it is and I'll make plans to be there.
  • JLunarJLunar the t dot.
    edited March 2004
    June dates are better for me!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    No outside food or drinks?

****ing bull****.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    As long as they dont rape us in prices. Are they going to have Bawls?:)
    edited March 2004
    They don't have Bawls :(

They're not charging us for the space - therefore we respect their food and drink rule. They have to make the money to keep the employee there all night and keep the place lit up for us. It's not a bad rule. Now, if they were charging us $300 for the weekend or something, then I might have something to say about the rule. Overall, I think it's a fair compromise.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2004
    I understand the rule. It makes sense as a business.
    edited March 2004
    As far as that goes, I think the example of $300 for the weekend is an understatement. I doubt you could get a VFW hall (or something similar) 24 hours a day for an entire weekend for anywhere near that, especially considering the electric bill. When you take into account the fact that your $20 gets you about 72 hours of entertainment, a place to flop for a couple nights, and a nice environment to game in, paying a little extra for food is not that big a deal.

Too bad they don't have a liquor license, though... :beer:
    Of course, if you're hardcore... :vimp:
    edited March 2004
    Well it's not like we all can't leave and go somewhere else for food. The owner just doesn't want people bringing outside food and drinks in... Very understandable.

It's a huge convenience to be able to leave your computer, walk a few feet, order a sandwich or a bowl of soup, or chips and a coke, and then walk a few feet and get right back to the game.

//edit: That's chips as in "Crisps", you brits... They don't have "Chips" as in fries ;D
    edited March 2004
    Also: I wanted to make very clear that the basement area where the LAN will be held is seperated by a locking door from the coffee shop. No worries about theft or anything.
    edited March 2004
    Chips & Crisp:
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Well it's not like we all can't leave and go somewhere else for food. The owner just doesn't want people bringing outside food and drinks in... Very understandable.

It's a huge convenience to be able to leave your computer, walk a few feet, order a sandwich or a bowl of soup, or chips and a coke, and then walk a few feet and get right back to the game.

//edit: That's chips as in "Crisps", you brits... They don't have "Chips" as in fries ;D

How far is that little Blues Bar down in Hamtramack from where the LAN will be located??? Dang if I can remember the name, but it was a hangout I might want to revisit some time....:D

John D.
    edited March 2004
    o__O somebody spent two seconds too long on images.google.com

:wtf::eek3:
    edited March 2004
    Deebe's Coffee Bar = 12 Mile & Hoover

Hamtramck = about 10 miles south by southwest

About a 15 minute drive. I have no idea what bar you're talking about, but it can't be more than 15 minutes away. Hamtramck is a small town.
    edited March 2004
    :hrm:
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited March 2004
    hey prime.....just curious about the whole no outside food or drinks thing. I understand it.....but could a compromise be initiated? Something like we slip the guy a 10$ or 20$ if we want to? I mean, I doubt he has the quanity of Mt. Dew required to sustain a lan. I'd rather give the guy money and just get a monster dew I.V.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    I'm available for the May 28-30 date. The first date I will be in England, and the third I will be running a media camp here on campus. :-/
  • edited March 2004
    McBain wrote:
    hey prime.....just curious about the whole no outside food or drinks thing. I understand it.....but could a compromise be initiated? Something like we slip the guy a 10$ or 20$ if we want to? I mean, I doubt he has the quanity of Mt. Dew required to sustain a lan. I'd rather give the guy money and just get a monster dew I.V.

This is a good question, as Mountan Dew is a staple LAN party beverage.

Does the shop sell Pepsi products? If so, then he might have Dew anyhow.
  • Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited March 2004
    Now that I think about it I might be able to go. By then I'll have my license, my car, and I'll be out of school. ROADTRIP! Now to get the $20 to you. Prime do you accept Money Orders? If so PM me your address.

Are there going to be nametags? I'm gonna have to get a 9800 Pro again :arr:. We should have special promotions for Team 93.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Xenogeared wrote:
    i'm assuming you're talking about car racing, the most boring thing to ever watch. you're saying you'd rather watch cars go in a circle 500 times than lan?

You're a sissy.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited March 2004
    You're right Al, name tags would be cool. I'll design some SM Lan name tags. Ideally, they should be laminated so we could keep them as mementos.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    You guys still doing the SM Tee-shirt thing? BTW, All this talk is making me really sad. I "shouldn't" go but I really want to go..... The PAINS of being an adult!!!
    edited March 2004
    I regret to inform you that the coffee shop is indeed a coca-cola shop, and thus does not carry Mountain Dew.

I'll talk to him about this. Basically, he's a businessman through and through - any compromise will have to come with the fact that he's interested in making as much money as possible from coffee/coke/food purchases. I'm about 90% sure that if I told him there would be a huge demand for mountain dew, he might figure out some scam to all the sudden be able to provide mt. dew for us, as long as he's still making money. Like I said, us being there is a source of revenue for him, and he's gotta make sure that it's gonna be worth it for him to keep the place open 24/7 for a weekend, and make up for the fee he normally gets from the bible study group that he's going to boot for us. I think pop sales are going to be a significant portion of that income for him, and if we ask him to let us bring our own Dew, that might cut into his potential quite a bit.

I'll see if he can get it.