NEED INPUT: Interested in an inexpensive Pentium M board?

13»

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2004
    64 bit pci slot! sweet!
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited November 2004
    Pentium-M @ 2.55ghz X86-Secrets
    OCWorkbench

The French website X86-Secret has tested a Pentium M Dotham overclocked to 2.55GHz (26% overclock) on a DFI 855GME-MGF mainboard, the only Pentium M mainboard available at the moment with an AGP slot. The results are suprising, to say the least: the Pentium M is perfectly competitive with both the P4 EE and the A64 4000+. And it uses just a small chipset HSF!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I don't find the results at all surprising.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited November 2004
    omg...
    /me drools

How long until these boards come to the US??? :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    We are looking at the future in Intel right there. At least they would be freakin dumbasses to not go that way.
    edited November 2004
    "Conroe" a desktop version of the Dothan is due in 12-18 months
  • jchanbrjchanbr Brazil - São Paulo
    edited November 2004
    Finally one store has the Aopen mobo to sell (U$267)

http://store.myaopen.com/i855gmemlfs.html

Now is waiting past the Xmas to low a little bit the price :(
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    I am surprised that Shuttle doesn't have a SFF out for the 'M'. It makes sense.
    micro atx with a cool running, powerful cpu. This could be fun.
    I am keeping an eye out for the DFI mobo.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2004
    Around $250 for a motherboard and P-Ms arent cheap either. Around $440 for the 2.0 Dothan.
  • jchanbrjchanbr Brazil - São Paulo
    edited November 2004
    edcentric wrote:
    I am surprised that Shuttle doesn't have a SFF out for the 'M'. It makes sense.
    micro atx with a cool running, powerful cpu. This could be fun.
    I am keeping an eye out for the DFI mobo.

I'll prefer the Aopen mobo, because the heatsink option that allow you use P4 coolers, DFI mobo need to use a screwdriver to install the processador like a notebook and to need to use only the cooler that comes with the mobo. :cool:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    mmonnin wrote:
    We are looking at the future in Intel right there. At least they would be freakin dumbasses to not go that way.
    Indeed that is Intel's short term future .
    There's a big internal reorganisation happening inside Intel and according to Otellini that means each "platform" has a single risk assessment methodology. It has appointed people inside to consolidate this shift. It wants to "Centrino-ise" its whole range of products.
    The Inquirer

Not to mean that Pentium M will be the standard bearer, but that Centrino/Pentium will be pushed hard by Intel as platform-centric devices that live up to their hype.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    New toy from Aopen. This time it's the i915 chipset which means the introduction to dual channel, DDR2 and PCI-e for the Dothans. I have ordered one and a Dothan + that i have some DDR2 at tight timings on it's way. This will be fun i think.

http://www.aopen.nl/products/mb/i915GMm-HFS.htm
    edited May 2005
    Looks like a nice toy. How much was the board and CPU?
    edited May 2005
    You get a 1.6/400 2mb Dothan for $110$130 on Ebay. The board costs a zillion though. Over $300 on Newegg i think.
  • edited May 2005
    Yeah Mack, I saw how much that board cost! :eek:

I've been thinking of going the other way for a Dothan upgrade with the Asus socket converter and an Asus i865 mobo myself. Since I already have some decent ddr and vid card in my daughter's P4 rig, I'm thinking of getting a refurb Asus board and the socket converter and going that route instead of buying that uber-expensive Aopen board.
    edited May 2005
    I agree, but i'm after DDR2/Pci-e and sata2 so i have no other choice i'm afraid.
  • edited July 2005
    I finally bit the bullet and decided to build me a Pentium M system. I'm going with an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe board I got on ebay new for $137.50 shipped, ordered the Asus CT-479 adapter from ZipZoomFly for $49.99 delivered, and just this morning I won an auction on ebay for a Dothan 735 (1.7/400) proc for $122.50 shipped. The proc isn't exactly what I was wanting to get (I really wanted a 133 fsb Dothan), but the price was just too good to pass. Plus, that Asus 875 board has multiplier control in bios, unlike the P4P800 SE boards, so I should be able to throttle back the multi so I can get some good fsb speeds out of this setup. That is why I went with the more expensive P4C800-E Deluxe over the P4P800 SE. I'll be using 2X256 MB sticks of Corsair XMS3200 C2 from my NF7-S machine so I should be able to run some really tight timings with this setup and see just what a Dothan can do with decent memory bandwidth. This is going to be a dedicated folding rig (for right now at least), so don't expect any 3DMark benching but I will be doing a fair amount of number crunching benches with it after it's set up and stable. I still have to work out a premium hsf setup for it; the CT-479 comes with an aluminum hsf but it doesn't look like anything to get excited about. I will be considering what cooling options once the board gets here and I can drop the adapter in the socket on the board.

I'll take pics of everything and post up my progress on this experiment as I get stuff in; will start a new thread on it. :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    Awesome, mudd... just post a link to that thread here so we don't miss it! ;)
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited August 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    I'll take pics of everything and post up my progress on this experiment as I get stuff in; will start a new thread on it. :)
    Link? :shakehead
  • edited October 2005
    Sorry I've been so late getting some info posted, but a processor upgrade and 2 near miss hurricanes have kind of slowed things down. I just upgraded from my original Dothan 735 to a Sonama 730, which is a jump from a 1.7/400 to a 1.6/533. This makes a great difference in fsb speed as the original 100 fsb Dothans don't do well over around 160 fsb or so, but the Sonoma procs seem to tolerate high fsb speed very well. I'm presently testing the system at 235 X 11 and still at stock 1.3 vcore and 2-2-2-5 ram timings (@3.3v via ddr booster). :D This hombre is mucho snappy. :thumbsup:

I will be testing for max overclock on the proc then I plan to optimize GHz vs fsb speed. I've also tested my ram to 250 fsb at 2-2-2-5 timings with PAT enabled, so I still have plenty of headroom for fsb speed right now.

So far, I have a 985 MHz overclock on that P-M with stock vcore too, so that is boding well for it's headroom. I bought it off eBay for $129.00 delivered. :cool:

I plan to do some benching with it now also, since I also got a good deal on an X800XT-PE, which is presently installed on this system.