ICx name dilema

mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
edited June 2003 in Folding@Home
Well since we have had a name change I had the the question many times. "What do we do with the ICx computers?"

My answer was wait til the forums are up and we will decide then.

Well its up atm so its time to decide what we are gonna do with them.

We have several options for us.

1: Keep the current names and from now on rename them something else, IE S_M17 and or something.

2: Change the names of all the rigs to S_M1 or w/e the name will be. Then all the rigs will start back at zero that way.

3: Keep calling them ICx machines.

There may be a few other options but these were the first ones I thought of. This is one of the hardest transitions I think. The name part. Not just the ICx machines but everything.

Well give me your input and a poll will go up soon and we can all vote on it or something. Unless there is a general agreement or I find something better.:)

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    S&M? :P

J/K

How about Short-Media Folding Farm X?
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    I think you should just leave them all ICx boxes. I think the new ones should continue with ICx. It represents our roots, and you cant forget your roots :p.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Mackanz said
    S&M? :P

J/K

How about Short-Media Folding Farm X?

Something a bit shorter.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    SMx
    S-Mx

???
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Here's a more important question. Is every host of an ICx box hopping onto the S-M team? I'm accounted for, what about the rest of the hosts? Has anyone heard from them?

I don't mind if I have to rename IC4 to S-M4 or whatever, because she folds for team 93 regardless of the name! :D
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Well maybe the new machines can get the new names?
    edited June 2003
    The machines are Team 93 property. They still must run for Team 93 or be returned.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    IC16-UK signing in. Present and accounted for.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Most ICx machines are accounted for. The roll call will take care of that as time progresses. We haven't even officially announced the forum yet, so be calm ;)

As far as name is concerned, I vote leave the old rigs names the same and name them something new from now on and continue numbering in the present sequence. I don't want the older machines to be detached from their scores they worked so hard on :)

As for new names, I think we need to adopt a mascot and name them after that. We need a user-friendly nickname for ourselves.
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    I have changed my stance. I believe the old boxes should continue from IC16. Then the next box in line will be like SM17 or something :).
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    I agree with the general trend; keep the old boxes on the names they have now, but from this time forward, setup the SM machines to have a more appropriate name.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    IC5 host here!

I say keep the current names and continue on with something like SM17...
    edited June 2003
    So far it seems that the old ones will stay. Sounds good to me.

Dont want to jump on anything yet. IC15 just got its last part and will be built Thursday. Then we have about a day to get a name figured out for it.

An idea came up to name it after the froggies that were so open to us. How does that sound?
    edited June 2003
    General Keebler said
    As for new names, I think we need to adopt a mascot and name them after that. We need a user-friendly nickname for ourselves.

Try and follow my train of thought... "SM" sounds kinda wrong on some level :p So, I thought, how about the first two letters? You get "shme". Well that's nothing... but it reminded me of Hook's lackey in Peter Pan, Smee. From there, I thought of the Lost Boys. Could there be a better name for ourselves than the "Lost Boys"? Hehehe... sorry, I feel like prof here. :p I'm just bouncing ideas around, waiting for a good one to stick.

The next rig should definitely include a tribute to the frogs in the name, but we need to figure out what that would be, and what the base rig name will be to start with. I personally like my theme, ie Lost Boy 17, but I doubt anyone else will. I've just been out in the forums too long :p Please excuse me, I'll be hiding my head ;)
    edited June 2003
    Well we were lost boys for over a week.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I think that we should keep the current ICx names as they stand, but I have no problems with changing future machines to SMx.. But that might bother some people. We should probably have a poll
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited June 2003
    I think the existing rigs should keep their ICx names, as said elsewhere to remind us of our roots, don't forget in the rush to build a totally new site, the community spirit that's glueing it all together came from Icrontic.

New rigs should start with #1. They will be the first in the new livery.

GK. Nice thought to recognise the Frogs in some way, not sure how though.

Cheers

Crypto :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I agree with parts of several posts above mine. Perhaps here is a formula that can incorporate what others have mentioned.

93XA

93 + Is legacy for our team; the name has changed, but not the team, and not our competitiveness

X is a carryover from the original formula for projected, unbuilt machines. X is also a symbol of the donated folding machines.

"A" is just a placeholder to be substituted by the series number of the machine.

I think all machines should be renamed, starting with "93X1". I don't mind "IC" for legacy's sake, but two things to consider: 1) "Icronitic" will probably reborn under our friend's Tex' control. All the power to him, but I'd try to avoid any confusion between the two sites, and 2) "93" is permanent - historical in my mind. That is THE TEAM, not the site that hosts the team.

My three cents worth. ('Three cents' - was that arrogant?:eek: )

Leo
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I concur with leaving the naming convention as it is with the current ICx boxes and then renaming for the new site for all future boxens.

A box to tribute the frogs would be grand.:)

And no, no arrogance Leo.:)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I had to wait until I was in the office and had some spare time;) to post.

I like going to 93X_ for the new names, but unless the 'new icrontic' is going to start a folding team I would leave the ICX names. Maybe if we overhaul a box or make significant changes in the cpu (move from a duron to an XP) we would then rename it. I think that we should start with the next un used number. If we rename a box we will keep the number on it and just change the prefix.

Yes, we owe the frogs big time. they stepped up and were true friends. We will need to work on something to recognise them.
    edited June 2003
    The new Icrontic will not have a team.

I guess the new box will fold for AMDMB since it was said over there.
  • HotrodsunHotrodsun Salem, OR
    edited June 2003
    I think we should change the names. To something like TSM(x)
    for team short media, then replace the (x) with the machine number. I think this would give Tex a feeling of true owner ship of his future web site. I think if we keep them the same we'll be holding on to something the is gone. So new name=new beginning. Also do you think stanford would change the names on the stats page to reflect the new names of the team computers? dem's be my two or three bits, Adam
  • aZnWankstaaZnWanksta Baton Rouge
    edited June 2003
    I think (<-- funny ) that we should change all the boxes to S-mX and let em all start over. I know that points will start over, but hey, we as a whole have started over. Icrontic is finished (with folding) and we don't need to hang on to them anymore. It is time to start anew, just as we have.

aW
    edited June 2003
    Well, HRS beat me to it... I was goin back and forth between addaboy, here, and amdforums. oh well...

aW
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin said
    The new Icrontic will not have a team.
    I wouldn't bet on that. It may take some time to build one, but more than likely, they will have a team.

Not that I have a say, but I would not change the name on the current ICx machines. I do like Leo's idea of putting 93 in the name, but only for future machines. :)
    edited June 2003
    I don't think so. Tex himself said that he would open a DC thread but it would direct everyone to this site. Check out the thread at addaboy.com

aW
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    I will go with whatever name change you guys decide on. I myself would like to keep the already built machines with the ICx name, then start over with SMx or something like that. Whatever we decide to do, I will keep BartWilliams in the name of IC13 whether the name changes or stays.
    edited June 2003
    No doubt. All the ones that have an add on name, ie. Bart and uk, I would definately think you would want to keep that. Just the opening IC to SM or whatever I think we should change.

aW
    edited June 2003
    So the consensus seems to be forming...

- Old rigs stay the same

- New rigs named with team number, and continuing in the sequence.

How about (like for number 15): "93x Rig 15" It's just that 93x15 looks like a multiplication problem... :p
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I wouldn't worry about confusion as there will be no Team Icrontic as far as the administration (well in < 6 minutes hopefully :D) to have a folding team at all. All folders will be directed over here.