Whats ur next card?

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
whatcha gonna buy next?

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    MY 6800 will be here shorty. I couldnt refuse the leadtek for 299 from www.gameve.com
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Provided that ATI doesn't fix their X800 series for OpenGL, the 6800GT.
  • edited July 2004
    Mine shoulda been here today.... :rant::rant::rant::rant:
  • edited July 2004
    A 6800GT from BFG... as soon as this damn price gouging ends... :rant:
  • edited July 2004
    Since I got my 6800 by eVGA they offer the upgrade program where you send them your card and the price difference within 90 days if you decided you want the better faster card...SmJ you could do that very thing and get the GT for 399 and have a few weeks to play with the 6800...
    //Edit Oops, my bad, you want the BFG...tidE\\
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited July 2004
    I know I'm gonna catch a LOT of flak from my friends, but ATi doesn't look so good right now... I picked "6800GT". nVidia's offerings are just kicking the crap out of ATi right now, as much as I hate to say it.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Not so sure as of yet. I think I'm going to hold onto my 9800pro until the last minute and then buy whatever is cheapest. Maybe I'll do it round HL2 time.
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited July 2004
    My next card will be... somebody's old Radeon 9800pro that they ditched for an x800 or a 6800 =D i am el-cheapo... and of course i'll bolt that barton sink on there kekekeke
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    I don't know yet, but I'm tempted to get a BFG 6800GT-OC.
  • edited July 2004
    TheGr81 wrote:
    I know I'm gonna catch a LOT of flak from my friends, but ATi doesn't look so good right now... I picked "6800GT". nVidia's offerings are just kicking the crap out of ATi right now, as much as I hate to say it.

If that's the case, then you'd better change your sig. ;D
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Sticking with my 9800xt for another generation. Not convinced there is enough performance increase to justify spending the money.

As half-life2, Doom III and all current crop of games will fly on this card, Im not upgrading for the sake of upgrading ;)

I have a high performance card to play games when I have time, 500 extra 3dMarks will not increase your sexual prowess, your frags per hour, the size of your e-pen0r , your lifes longevity, it will not make you hip, cool, trendy and will not get you laid.

You are not your 3dMark!

Il sit this round out...
  • edited July 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    Sticking with my 9800xt for another generation. Not convinced there is enough performance increase to justify spending the money.

As half-life2, Doom III and all current crop of games will fly on this card, Im not upgrading for the sake of upgrading ;)

I have a high performance card to play games when I have time, 500 extra 3dMarks will not increase your sexual prowess, your frags per hour, the size of your e-pen0r , your lifes longevity, it will not make you hip, cool, trendy and will not get you laid.

You are not your 3dMark!

Il sit this round out...

My sentiments exactly, Shorty. I'll stay with my refurb 9800 Pro AIW for a while and sit this round of upgrades out, unless something bad happens to my present vid card. :)
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited July 2004
    Picked x800 pro, just because if I ever do upgrade (read: not until soph year of college, and that's if I can somehow afford it...), that would be the only card I could get. I'd be more keen on upgrading other more essential components first and foremost.
  • edited July 2004
    I'm getting the 6800 simply because the 5900U went tits up on me, not due to any largess on my part, I was actually offered a 9800xt or 350 credit from newegg and I chose the 6800 instead.
    I kinda figured they'd give me the rest of the credit from the 350, boy was I wrong, next time I'll know better, take the credit and use the leftover cash for stuff life AS5 or ccfl's...never can be too cool or have too much bling.
    edited July 2004
    lol I am only getting a leadtek 6800 cause I sold my 9800xt for 275 The 6800 was 299 so I made out pretty good Not to metion The real reason i went with the 6800 and didnt stay where I was was the fact of pixel shader 3.0
    edited July 2004
    just to let u guys know I got my card in. Removed the old drivers nad jsut plopped it in and installed the new drivers. Works fine( i will be formatting when i get back from bank ) BUT i did a quick 3dmark I still went up 500 3dmarks (22000) but I amagine after I format and reinstall I will hit 23k without a prolem. Switching from ati to Nvidia without a format Is almost suicide. and image quality was so much richer and deeper. WOW the graphices actually looked alive. A+ to leadtek and nvidia for actually picking themselves off the ground dusting off and rejoining the race! )
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited July 2004
    aiw 9600XT....

should be a decent upgrade for my current 8500le..., My monitor only does 1024x768 so running doom3 and hl2 should not be an issue... That and I dont have the budget for anything better...

Gobbles
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    I'm going to be waiting a little bit before I change cards.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Whenever Doom III pisses me off @ 1024x768 without AA/AF, I'll go grab a BFG 6800GT AGP through the local distributors.

Unless ATI manages to successfully rewrite their new OGL driver package and get some decent performance out of it, then I'll consider an X800 XT PE.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    BFG makes very good cards for the money.
    edited July 2004
    OMG i did a fresh format and ran the Nabu demo from nvidia OMG floored me. I was really tenative going to nvidia after my 5900 disater. but man I am happy!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2004
    I'm not too sure what route I am going to go yet. I have been holding off on a video-card upgrade for too long. I'm still using my trusty GF3 Ti200 128mb. Nvidia's 6800GT looks mighty tempting. I just picked up a nice 22" NEC 1250+ monitor, so 800x600 games are not cutting it any longer.

How is the 2D quality on the 6800?
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Lemonlime, out of curiosity, did you pick up that NEC locally in T.O.?

If so, care to share where they are selling them? :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    My next card will be... somebody's old Radeon 9800pro that they ditched for an x800 or a 6800
    We are of like mind.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited July 2004
    SimGuy wrote:
    Lemonlime, out of curiosity, did you pick up that NEC locally in T.O.?

If so, care to share where they are selling them? :)

The Tigerdirect retail store in Markham (407 & Woodbine) has some Multisync 1250+'s for $340CDN. You get a $40USD mail-in rebate on top of that as well. So its more like $290 after everything is said and done. They are 'off lease' monitors, but the one I got looked brand new. They were out of stock for the longest time, and I didnt want to pay $130 for shipping (thing weighs like 80 pounds). Beautiful monitors, thats for sure. 1600x1200@87Hz, .25AG. I was there two days ago, and they had 3 left. Make sure you call before you go out there though :)
  • edited July 2004
    What do you all think of PNY cards? It's a possibility I could get my hands on a PNY 6800GT for $317(!!!!) before the release of Doom 3, but I have heard rumors of the brand selling crummy cards in the past.
  • edited July 2004
    When I can find one for a good price, it's X800 Pro for me. Looks like Nvidia got a lot more votes than I expected here.

KF
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    PNY is one of nVidia's premiere partners.

Their cards USED to be complete ****, back in the GeForce2/3 days.
  • MohawkMohawk Winchester uk
    edited July 2004
    i got myself a x800 pro made by HIS with the funky cooler gonna flash it to unlock the extra 4 piplines at the weekend pretty happy with this card
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited July 2004
    Right now it looks like the 6800GT will be the next upgrade.