short-media.com presents a grand opening door prize

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    a2jfreak... why did you PM me... I want this drawing to be fair and telling me that you really can't accept the new PC is nice but let's wait until you win it before you give it to me... I am flattered though. I promise not to tell everyone about this too. I don't want everyone to think badly of you.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Dopppppe... I thought I was PMing you back, sorry... I guess the PC, I mean cat, is out of the bag
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    A winnar will be announced Friday.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me!

I gotta figure a way to throw this thing, if it's the last thing I do!
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited July 2003
    primesuspect said
    danball1976 said
    Why not PC3200 DDR instead of the PC2700?

Yeah, that's funny.. I won the freakin' lotto the other day, and I called the State of Michigan and said "What? Only 2.6 million? Why not an even $3million?"

They hung up on me and I never got my money.
    :rolleyes:

lol.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Christ man, 5 pages and I only checked the forums last night (perhaps I need to be checking more often to win this prize..)

So, Shorty/Prime, how exactly is thins going to be drawn? Print out a list of members, but them up and have a tombola for the results?

Being as this is a Computer Geek community, shouldn't we have a random generator for the competition?

If so, as a Software Engineer I'm sure I could come up with a *completely :D* random name generator for it....

If (pick) != CyrixInstead, pick again!!!!!1

LOL!! ;) Way To Go guys, you're all brilliant!!!

~Cyrix
  • Kristof2Kristof2 Member
    edited July 2003
    What a great way to show their appreciation.!

I hope I get it. I could really use some new gear.

Kristof2
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited July 2003
    whos picking the name??

*pulls out a shiny new quarter*

lets jsut say if somehow the name croc_ is pulled, this quarter might goto the one who made it happen. *wink wink*

gl to all, and congrats to the winner!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    A highly scientific method was used whereby we obtained the names of all those eligible for the drawing and compiled an array using high level programming languages. We then commissioned a data processing center to create a distributed computing application that would string together the processing power of 300 Athlon XP 3000+'s each with 3GB of PC3200 RAM and UltraSCSI 160 drives in a mirrored RAID array.

Once we got everything running, sophisticated algorithms and complex AI schemes- designed by our friends over at MIT- were used to shuffle the names of the entrants and pick a name at random.

The resultant computing power apparently blew a power substation near the colocation center so we ended up throwing the names into a hat and primesuspect picked one out.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    So the overall odds of winning is about 1 in <300.

Those odds are not that bad.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    TD_Isles said
    A highly scientific method was used whereby we obtained the names of all those eligible for the drawing and compiled an array using high level programming languages. We then commissioned a data processing center to create a distributed computing application that would string together the processing power of 300 Athlon XP 3000+'s each with 3GB of PC3200 RAM and UltraSCSI 160 drives in a mirrored RAID array.

Once we got everything running, sophisticated algorithms and complex AI schemes- designed by our friends over at MIT- were used to shuffle the names of the entrants and pick a name at random.

The resultant computing power apparently blew a power substation near the colocation center so we ended up throwing the names into a hat and primesuspect picked one out.

And btw, that box was donated by me and ONLY for this purpose.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I donated the hat!
  • MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited July 2003
    Yeah? I still got a walmart clone with a 25 mhz chip o/c'd to 33 with a whopping 12 mbs of ddduh ram.....I use it for folding taco shells....
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    pfft... i'm posting from my GRID computer... looks like a laptop...but it isn't. It runs a mean game of digger tho :)
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited July 2003
    Oh boy a competition. :thumbsup:
    It's been a while since I have won anything.

Let me win, let me win. :respect:
    edited July 2003
    Just a point of information: while a nice gesture, posting in the Babe Thread DOES NOT increase your chances of winning the door prize.
    edited July 2003
    a2jfreak, Location : Houston, TX. WHERE EXACTLY do you live in Houston? I've been meaning to ride south this summer. Maybe we can, er, 'get together', or something...
    This act of altruism is absolutely heart-warming. It has spread like wildfiire too because I have received PMs from Thrax, MGK, Preacher, GHoosdum, Ageek, Al_Capown, Aranyic, bitwise, bothered, brilt, Citrixmeta, Clutch, Coaster, Cool_Canuck, csimon, CyrixInstead, danball1976, DOSMAN, drowd, edcentric, and umm, anyone else I did not list.

Thanks everyone for stepping aside so I can win! You guys truly rock!

We need to 'talk' bro...... ;)
    edited July 2003
    Actually, I believe my selfless act of a money-is-no-object, custom built A7N8X DELUXE with a XP 2100 Tbred B in a Raidmax full window case with pretty blue lights and led fans ALL over for the boy to kick ass at college should put me in the top running for the prize.....

Read my sig again! ;)

(Oh, did I mention I also GAVE him, absolutely FREE mind you, a Powercolor 9500 that I painstakingly modded to a 9700....Well, did I? And that it also kicks the hell out of ALL his friends's rigs? Just wanted to be sure ....)
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2003
    *droooooool*
    edited July 2003
    He also recieved, absolutely free, a black, color matched, sony trinitron monitor that has not one, not two, but THREE seperate and fully custom brightness levels? :D
    edited July 2003
    And a 5.1 surround speaker system.......free........no charge?
    edited July 2003
    I'll fold with it. Promise.......
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    The staff and I also have a very neat article going up to coincide with this contest. Stay tuned.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited July 2003
    Did I say Houston, TX?

That's where I USED to live. Silly me. :D

I live in the suburbs (north-west Houston). If you're serious and you're ever out this way lemme know and I'll see if I can have lunch with you.
    machinegunkelly said
    a2jfreak, Location : Houston, TX. WHERE EXACTLY do you live in Houston? I've been meaning to ride south this summer. Maybe we can, er, 'get together', or something...
    This act of altruism is absolutely heart-warming. It has spread like wildfiire too because I have received PMs from Thrax, MGK, Preacher, GHoosdum, Ageek, Al_Capown, Aranyic, bitwise, bothered, brilt, Citrixmeta, Clutch, Coaster, Cool_Canuck, csimon, CyrixInstead, danball1976, DOSMAN, drowd, edcentric, and umm, anyone else I did not list.

Thanks everyone for stepping aside so I can win! You guys truly rock!

I talk with my mouth, not fists. :D
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    a2jfreak said
    machinegunkelly said

I talk with my mouth, not fists. :D

Uh-Oh. I think what MGK had in mind was his fists talkin' to your mouth... :buck:

(Now picture the smilie w/o the teeth)

Prof:vimp:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    :aol:
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    yes, put me in the HAT!~!!!

i'm in need for a abit nf7-s v2
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    leishi85 said
    yes, put me in the HAT!~!!!

i'm in need for a abit nf7-s v2

As it said in the first post, everyone is included (with one or two exceptions)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Thrax said
    The staff and I also have a very neat article going up to coincide with this contest. Stay tuned.

Tomorrow is gonna a monster day :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    All I can say is that the winner is one lucky bastard.

Why couldnt I just have been a regular member.