help windows\system32\config\system missing

Comments

• edited May 2007
    Ive been browsing through the previous posts as when i turned my computer on today it prompted me with the message that the " windows could not start because the following file i mising or corrupt:
    \windows\sytem32\config\system". Anyways ive been trolling a couple of the posts hoping i could fix my computer without having to be a bother but im at a bit of a crossroads here. On newer HP branded laptops it seems they put a "recovery" partition on your drive. I erased this as i needed more space, but im wondering if this is the disk i need to be doing these recovery practices or can i use a generic XP SP2 install disk.

Here is how i got this error. I was using my computer last night as i always use it for making music and browsing the web, on AIM, etc. I shut the lid of the computer so i guess it went into hibernation mode. When i opened the lid this morning i got the "dun-da" noise that you get when you get to the login screen of XP, but the screen was totally black. So i held down the power button and re-booted and now i get this error. I called HP and of course their first answer was 'nope nothing can fix it, gotta do fresh install', which is total bungo. I dont know what method i should go about trying first though. I came across two indepth articles (EDIT: it wont let me post url's so i dont know what to do about that), if you read what i said earlier about the recovery disk for the compaq i dunno if thats what i need to do this recovery task or like i said if i can just use a XP disk. Any help would be greately appreciated, im going nut hoping i dont have to reformat, their is alot of valuable data on there!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    File13 wrote:
    I erased this as i needed more space, but im wondering if this is the disk i need to be doing these recovery practices or can i use a generic XP SP2 install disk.
    The XP CD should work. The recovery partition is generally BS you don't need to worry about. If it's still under warranty though, you might want to give them a ring.
    File13 wrote:
    (EDIT: it wont let me post url's so i dont know what to do about that),
    I fixed this for you.
    File13 wrote:
    im going nut hoping i dont have to reformat, their is alot of valuable data on there!
    Worst case scenario, there are ways of getting your data off the drive before reformatting if you have access to another computer. :) We can address that in a new thread if needed.
  • edited May 2007
    The first thing you need to find out is if you can boot. The CD won't do any good if you can't. This file is not used by Windows XP- I don't know why it's coming up on our systems. It's called a 'bogus' error' as it's an old MS-DOS file from earlier Windows OS.

If you can boot, you should be able to get into the CD, but so far, all I've seen is the inability to boot. For a reason I can't determine, the boot order goes to the hard drive first- this needs to be changed to Boot from the CD and that's done in the BIOS.

There are a couple of threads on the same problem. See if you can boot and if not, go into the BIOS, move choices on top frame to the 'Boot' section and then change boot order to CD first. Exit with 'save change' option.

You may not even need to go into the Recovery Console- I didn't. I used the Windows Setup from the CD, brought the system up with no repair and found everything in place with no loss.

If you haven't been into the BIOS, it may take you a couple of times to make the change- as soon as the logo starts to load, begin and continue tapping the F10 or F12 key to get into the BIOS.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited May 2007
    anges35 wrote:
    ...This file is not used by Windows XP- I don't know why it's coming up on our systems. It's called a 'bogus' error' as it's an old MS-DOS file from earlier Windows OS...
    You are confusing this problem with the old DOS config.sys. This is a different file altogether.
  • edited May 2007
    ok well where exactly do i go and stop, because when i boot the xp cd and press enter and go through as i was doing a fresh install i never seem to see an option to repair the C partition. can anyone tell me exactly what screen this appears on?

edit: i gave them a call about it and their answer was theirs nothing you can do to fix it other than reinstall the os, then they gave me places to go have a data back up. keep in mind though they did nothing to diagnose the problem i told them what was showing up and then i did a hard drive check in the BIOS and it came up good then she just said i HAD to reformat, compaq never seems to want to truely help and always take the easy way out...kinda like when i had a faulty battery that only lasted 25 minutes when unplugged and they tried to convince me that that was normal of laptops with the smaller batteries. *sigh* worst case though someone mentioned their would be a way to get the data off, that would be a great relieve if i could at least get that much.
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I figured their service would suck, just thought it was at least worth trying.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press F10 or press 'R" to repair. That will get you going in the right direction. You've seen this article?
  • edited May 2007
    i did that and now when it boots i get two options of XP to boot and when i choose one it goes to the like xp starting thing with the flag and the load bar at the bottom but then it shuts off. and if i choose the other option it does the whole booting and telling me that its missing the file, etc.
    edited May 2007
    Time to backup your files and reformat, sorry man. Start a new thread if you need help getting anything off that hard drive.
  • edited June 2007
    I'm having the exact same problem with my Dell Laptop. Except I don't have the original setup CD-ROM. Is there anything I can do that won't delete my hard drive?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    I'm having the exact same problem with my Dell Laptop. Except I don't have the original setup CD-ROM. Is there anything I can do that won't delete my hard drive?

You don't need your original setup disk - but you will need a disk for your version of Windows. You can do repair installs that should fix these sorts of problems and you won't suffer any data loss. However the dirty truth is that often these types of problems are the early signs that there is something else going on and you really should be backing up your data and doing a clean install.

Despite popular belief Windows normally only crashes to a non-bootable state because your hardware is failing and it's corrupting files or you've suffered a couple critical BSOD's and files have become corrupted because they crashed mid write to a file to many times.
  • edited June 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    You don't need your original setup disk - but you will need a disk for your version of Windows. You can do repair installs that should fix these sorts of problems and you won't suffer any data loss. However the dirty truth is that often these types of problems are the early signs that there is something else going on and you really should be backing up your data and doing a clean install.

Despite popular belief Windows normally only crashes to a non-bootable state because your hardware is failing and it's corrupting files or you've suffered a couple critical BSOD's and files have become corrupted because they crashed mid write to a file to many times.

I am, at the current moment, trying to obtain a Windows XP disc but am having no luck. Do you have any idea where I can get one? Also, my laptop does not have a floppy drive. And once I get one, do you think you could walk me through this and help me back up my data eventually?
  • edited June 2007
    I am experiencing the same problem. I loaded the CD and it asked me if I wanted to create a partition. I chose No. so now I am back to square one. Please help. I don't want to loose my data! I have a HP Pavillion laptop, special edition.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    cpillado wrote:
    I am experiencing the same problem. I loaded the CD and it asked me if I wanted to create a partition. I chose No. so now I am back to square one. Please help. I don't want to loose my data! I have a HP Pavillion laptop, special edition.

Hi cpillado. Welcome to Icrontic! Did you happen to read the second post in this thread? I think Tex's instructions would set you on the right path to getting this resolved.

Again, thanks for joining the forum.
  • edited June 2007
    Hi cpillado. Welcome to Icrontic! Did you happen to read the second post in this thread? I think Tex's instructions would set you on the right path to getting this resolved.

Again, thanks for joining the forum.

I did follow all the steps up until he said if it ever asks you to create a partition don't fo it, Bail out, do not proceed. So any suggestions? Is it now something I cannot attempt to do on my own?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Just to be clear, did you use a Windows XP disc or the system restore disc that came with your laptop? Often times, a system restore disc will only present the option to partition and wipe the drive. They don't usually give you can chance to rebuild like the XP disc does. This will only work with a true XP disc.

Also, feel free to join us on IRC. I'm not extremely well versed in the procedure, but perhaps there are some other forum members on there who could help talk you through it. The info is in my sig.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    I am, at the current moment, trying to obtain a Windows XP disc but am having no luck. Do you have any idea where I can get one? Also, my laptop does not have a floppy drive. And once I get one, do you think you could walk me through this and help me back up my data eventually?

You don't need a floppy - unless that's what you plan on backing up your data to, in which case your going to need a lot of disks - like a ridiculous amount of them. As for obtaining XP - a store. There are other methods, but not ones we can talk about openly.
  • edited June 2007
    Hello everybody,

After browsing this forum and trying out every solution without success I decided to download Ubuntu 7.04 and run it at startup on a cd. Ubuntu allowed me to access all of my music files and other important data. This was my last resort aside from removing my hard drive. I can now reformat and reinstall XP with all of my songs backed up...just a solution to anybody who doesn't mind reformatting and also doesn't want to lose any important files.
  • edited June 2007
    Ok, my friend fixed my laptop for me. But, I was wondering if there was a way to backup my data or make a copy of my whole hard drive. I have an external hard drive that would hold all the data...but is it possible to copy everything to it?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Norton Ghost.
  • edited June 2007
    Tex wrote:
    Its a TTGI PSU with 500 watts to power one ide drive and one dvd burner at the moment. Same psu powered my amd64 3200+ msi neo with two ide drives and two 15k scsi drives and a pair of cd burners.

Its a clear acylic case with zero dust. Side panel is off right now.

Temps (I live in the mountains) is never above 65 degrees in this room. The cpu is hitting low 40's. It runs 24/7 for days........... then I get a BSOD. Changes every time about exactly what its bitching about.

Then it won't boot. Says the file is corrupt.... Won't run the XP install. memtest will run perfect for 24 hours though.

Walk away for 3 or 4 hours and the SOB will boot up perfect. You know this is sort of a pain when its a work PC.

But if the file was actually corrupt then walking away wouldn't magically fix it.

I used to keep a small wooden stake, a cross and a real silver bullet in my brief case for fixing problems of this type.

I actually had an employee supply me with the silver bullet as a gift.

When your fighting problems of th "zombie/undead" is type they are invaluable tools.

Why do I think that a friggin new ASUS motherboard would end my nightmares? I hate this DFI board

Tex
    This is a case of overheating, as i had it myself.
    It can be the powersupply overheating, the cpu, ram, hd, vid card.

Please check that there is no dust on any of them. If your motherboard supports it, you can use a program such as speedfan to monitor the temperatures.
  • cy3cy3
    edited July 2007
    i've had similar problems as mentioned before on this thread, only mine's a little different...i have a case of the "\windows\system32\config missing/corrupt"

BUT

NOTHING from the xp install disk works: bootfix, fixmbr, even chkdsk says something like "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

, and--here's something--when i simply type "dir" (for C, my system drive) in the recovery console, i get "There is no CD or Floppy Disk in the drive."

and--here's the worst of it--the windows setup is unable to detect a previous installation of windows! WTF!? :banghead:
  • cy3cy3
    edited July 2007
    oh yeah, and fixmbr says that "the old boot record cannot be read"
    >:(
  • cy3cy3
    edited July 2007
    ...i've already solved this problem (by using my gateway/windows system restore) but i'd still like to hear what everyone thinks about this scenario...

windows is not detected by the boot (/install) disk
    windows\system32\config\system is missing
    it's as if the drive is empty or dismounted or something

:screwy:
  • edited August 2007
    Hello friends..

unfortunally a power surge surprised me and did the same thing to my machine... and i'm frightned cos i have sensitive material on this machine...

to me, i get this message when i boot:

STOP: C0000218 {Registry File Failure}
    The Registry Cannot Load the Hive (File):

\SYSTEMROOT\SYSTEM32\SOFTWARE

or its log or alternate,

it is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

i know that there are loads and loads of variations of this matter, and i've seen that this thread exists since 2005.. so i'll be really grateful if any of you guys could give me a tip or direction on this matter cos it says: \SYSTEMROOT\SYSTEM32\SOFTWARE instead of different others, i think it's all the same in some kind of way, but i really don't wanna push it, i wanna be careful here. ;)
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited August 2007
    This is actually a little different matter from the rest of this thread, but I'll leave it to the moderators as to whether they want to split this off or not.

Since there is a clear event that may have hurt your system, what you need to do first thing is see if there is any physical internal damage. Due to the nature of the failure I'd suggest

1st A hard drive diagnostic. Try this Be sure to download and run the DFT tool recommended.

2nd A check of your memory. Run Memtest If you need a little help- try this

This should help verify that the system is fundamentally sound before trying an OS repair or system recovery. If you have and other failures in this process, be sure to post back and let us know.
  • edited September 2007
    I also have this problem.

I have lost the restore CD, so I have no idea what to do.

Here are the specs for my computer, help would be greatly appreciated.

Sony VAIO VGC-RB30

• Processor:Intel Pentium 4 530J 3 GHz
    • Memory: 512 MB (installed) / 2 GB (max)
    • Hard Drive: 200 GB
    • Integrated Features: DVD ROM, DVD/RW
    • Networking: Ethernet, Fast Ethernet
    • Graphics Controller: Intel GMA 900
    • Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Is there a way I can download this restore CD off the internet?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm very frustrated about this. :banghead:

Thanks.
  • edited September 2007
    Hello All,

Sorry to hijack this thread and start asking questions on my very first post! Thanks to all those who have been a great help to others, you're amazing. Keep up the good work.

Now, I have the problem: Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.

When going into the recovery console I am NOT asked to login. When I try and use 'md temp' from this article: support(dot)microsoft(dot)com/kb/307545 I receive access denied.

So, I am not asked to login and then I am presented with access denied. Does anyone have a solution for this? I'm not ususally one for formatting to make a problem go away but in the interest of time I may have to.

Thanks,
    Matt
  • edited October 2007
    My computer uses WIDNOWS XP Professional, and had been running problem free for a couple of years. However, a few days ago, during my daily routine, I noticed that my system was running at a slower speed and stalling now and again. I closed my open programs, logged off my account and shut down the machine. During the reboot, I received the following error: “Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM”. Now I receive that error each time I reboot.<o:p></o:p>
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
    Doing some research, I learned about the Recovery Console. Last night / early this morning, I found the correct Administrator password to access the XP Recovery Console. I confirmed the password, by signing out of the system without making any changes via the Recovery Console, rebooting the computer and trying the password again. It worked! <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Next, I use the following Recovery Console commands <o:p></o:p>
    MD TMP
    COPY C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\TMP\SYSTEM.BAK
    COPY C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE C:\WINDOWS\TMP\SOFTWARE.BAK
    COPY C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM C:\WINDOWS\TMP\SAM.BAK
    COPY C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SECURITY C:\WINDOWS\TMP\SECURITY.BAK
    COPY C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\DEFAULT C:\WINDOWS\TMP\DEFAULT.BAK<o:p></o:p>
    DELETE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    DELETE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
    DELETE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM
    DELETE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SECURITY
    DELETE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\DEFAULT<o:p></o:p>

COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SOFTWARE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
    COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SAM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SAM
    COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SECURITY C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SECURITY
    COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\DEFAULT C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\DEFAULT<o:p></o:p>
    COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM <o:p></o:p>
    >> Problem was the “C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SYSTEM” file didn't exist, but >> “C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SYSTEM.BAK” was there so i used <o:p></o:p>
    >> COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SYSTEM.BAK C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM<o:p></o:p>
    EXIT<o:p></o:p>
    After reboot, the same problem reappeared. I tried to access the Recovery Console. The confirmed Administrator password I had used twice before was now invalid, but I found that the <BLANK> password / just pressing the <ENTER> key now worked. I decided to try putting the c:\windows\tmp\* files back into the “C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\” directory hoping to restore the computer's previous actions making the first working Administrator password I found valid again. No go, now the Administrator password is lost again. LOL - I know I should have left that last step out and worked from there, but I didn't.<o:p></o:p>
    I wonder why “C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SYSTEM” didn't exist, AND I wonder if that is what the original error message was referring to instead of the existing “C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM” file?<o:p></o:p>
    The next time I rebooted, I selected to install WINDOWS XP instead of the Recovery Console. I expected to see options for both a clean install and a REPAIR INSTALL; however, I saw the option for a clean install and an option to partition my drive. I pressed <F3> to quit.<o:p></o:p>
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
    Please let me know if there are any other options or if I can somehow reinstall windows with minimum loss. I do not want to reinstall windows because it tells me that all files will be overwritten and deleted. Yep, I screwed up. I made no backup prior to this problem.
  • edited November 2007
    I have just spent the last 4 hours reading this thread and trying the possible fixes that have been described, none work.

I have not tried the RAM test.

I have an older computer, about 11 years old, but it has been upgraded twice, the last time being in 9/02. Things have been a bit slow and the comptuer has been shutting down randomly for awhile, but now I get the

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repare it this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I have an SATA hard drive that I bought a few years ago just to transfer video to, what I WANT to do is install XP on it and use my other HD as a slave to transfer all the info off of it.

Is this possible, and how do I go about doing it???<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  • edited November 2007
    OK, another question. If my SATA hard drive won't work, would this one work?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3333268&CatId=134

I am thinking about just getting a new hard drive and a stick of RAM so I know everything is working I just want a fresh install and then I can get all my info off my old drive. I would just have to reinstall Windows and all my other programs right?

My current HD is a Western Digital WD1200 WDCaviar, 120.0 GB, Enhanced IDE Hard Drive

The other drive I have is a Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 120GB SATA/150HDD