help windows\system32\config\system missing

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2007
    Please post what is in your system.

Run the RAM test.
  • edited November 2007
    Not sure what info you need on my system.

The mother board is an Intel D845GLLY

I have two sticks of RAM, one 128 and one 256

I think it's a 1.8Ghz

And I don't know how to run the RAM test, I don't have a floppy drive on my laptop.

I know the RAM is pretty old. I think the 128 stick is probably 8-11 years old, I am pretty sure it was in my original computer that I had built, or the 1st upgrade. I had it upgraded a couple times, the last time was the new motherboard and XP with the 256 stick of RAM and that was in 9/02.

I am willing to buy a new HD and RAM, but need to know if the new HD is compatable with what I have.
  • edited November 2007
    I just ordered a new stick of RAM I got the 568 so that I'll have more on one stick then I did on two. I know I needed more anyway. Hopefully that's the problem. If not, I will order the hard drive next and reload WinXP.
    edited November 2007
    whittibo wrote:
    Not sure what info you need on my system.

The mother board is an Intel D845GLLY

Maybe this can help explain-

The Intel D845GLLY does not support SATA. I suggest not going with a SATA drive and try that drive you're looking at or going with a 120GB ATA-100 drive. If this is incorrect and your system does support SATA, then I do not have all the information I need to advise you on your hard drive. If it is, then I just saved you the hassle of getting the wrong drive. And so it works that way through just about any support issue. If you are wanting to ask about a hard drive- it really helps to know something about what it is plugging into. Sabe?

The board is also more like 7ish years old- not 11 when Pentiums were just hitting the market. A system of 11 year vintage also has differing support issues.

To run the RAM test, you can make a boot floppy on just about any Windows machine that has a floppy drive. You can also buy external floppy drives for a laptop like this one . This is a fairly exhaustive test.

Can you get into Safe Mode? (Press F8 just before the OS starts to boot).
  • edited November 2007
    I have the SATA drive plugged into something else, I can't remember how I have it set up, but it is hooked up to some component to the mother board and is/was functional. So since it's hooked up, could I use this one as a primary and the current HD as a slave?

My plan is to get the new RAM in there, see if I can fix it that way. If not, then I will order the new hard drive if I can't use my SATA HD, install it, install XP on it and then use my current drive as a slave to extract all my files.

The mother board is 5 years old. I had the motherboard, 256 RAM and XP installed in 9/02. The 128 RAM could be as old as 8 years, I think I put that in when I first upgraded my computer. The floppy is 8 or 11 years old. My DVD burner is only about 3-4 years old. I got that when I got my SATA drive, to do the video editing/burning.

So the current system is

Mother board and current HD 5 years old
    256 RAM 5 years old
    128 RAM 8 years old?
    Floppy 8-11 years old?
    DVD burner and SATA HD 3-4 years old

I have a floppy in the computer that won't run, but don't have a floppy in any other machine. I have one other desktop but at this moment it is having it's own crises that I am trying to repair. It was easier for me to just order new RAM then to test the current stuff since I know it's so old to begin with. And I got one 512 stick so I will have more RAM then I did with the two sticks combined.
  • edited November 2007
    holy crap!! I need help please. not start because the following file is missing or corrupt windows system32 config system. This is the taunting scene when i turn on my computer, and i do not have my cd-rom setup. I need my computer for work!! please help.
  • edited November 2007
    Qeldroma wrote:

Can you get into Safe Mode? (Press F8 just before the OS starts to boot).

I missed this on my first pass over the reply. I haven't tried safe mode yet. I know I had to get into the Bios, but that doesn't require the RAM right? I'll try safe mode in the morning as I am leaving now to take some kids home.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I can get this computer back online, this is my life! And it's also the computer my daughter uses for her school!!!
    edited November 2007
    whittibo wrote:
    ... I'll try safe mode in the morning as I am leaving now to take some kids home.

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I can get this computer back online, this is my life! And it's also the computer my daughter uses for her school!!!

Hehe, np- I have family that keeps me going a lot too. On the off-chance you can get into Safe Mode, you can also make a boot disk there- but I think you're going to need help- maybe from a friend.

If you're doing the memory anyhow- you still have the issue of getting you're OS to boot again- hoping you have the correct issue resolved. Be sure to try and Repair the OS.

sirpsycho- I'm afraid your SOL trying and get the system ironned out right away- especially without a Windows CD. You might try and borrow a friend's- you should be okay to do a Repair with it and avoid having to re-enter your activation code- however, this may not fix the underlying cause and still be a problem. Try at least running a pass of Memtest if you can and get the memory if you need it- or run without the bad memory card if you have more than one.
  • edited November 2007
    OK... just tried the safe mode and it's a no go. I get the same error message.

Good news is the RAM I ordered shipped yesterday and I should have it TOMORROW! (I love Tiger Direct!)

So tomorrow when I get it, I will take both the old sticks of RAM out, then put the new one in and try to start it up. I am going to assume I will get the same error right? Then I can go in and try to repair it as per previous instructions?
    edited November 2007
    OK. However, please don’t confuse the gist of this forum. We normally don’t assume or recommend a fix until we have more evidence. That’s why I recommended the memory test- so we can start eliminating possible causes. More memory is always nice, so it’s probably not a waste; however, odds are better than even that it won’t fix the cause. Don’t get me wrong here- I hope it works.

And yes, you’ll have to fix the OS because it’s lost the registry hive. The first few posts in this thread cover this pretty well- so reread those carefully before you begin and ask questions when in doubt.

This failure can have a number of other causes including Hard Drive, malware- aka Spyware/Virus/Trojans (SVT), even your mainboard memory slot failing ... and more (that's why this thread is so stinkin' long)- so don't be surprised if this doesn't do it.
  • edited November 2007
    Well I already did all the fixes to the OS but those didn't work. I thought it might have been because the RAM was failing that it wouldn't "save it".

I think I am going to have to reload the OS, which means I would want to do that onto another HD right? So would my SATA drive work, or should I just order the new HD?
  • edited November 2007
    OK, I installed the new RAM and tried the fixes again and nothing worked.

I tried to unplug my HD and reload windows onto my SATA drive, but it doesn't recognize my SATA drive, probably because it's plugged into a component that's plugged into my mother board.

So now is my only option to buy a new HD and reinstall XP on it and use my current drive as a slave?

I do have an old HD but it's only 13 GB, I am not sure how much space XP needs, but I would rather just buy a new HD if that will fix all my problems and I can still keep all my old files/pictures.
  • edited November 2007
    I just put my 13GB HD in and turned on the system and it all came up. I think it only has Win98 installed on it. It never gave me an option to boot with CD. I have the BIOS set to boot to the CD first, so that's confusing.

So not sure where to go now.
    edited November 2007
    It sounds like the SATA drive or the SATA- possibly SATA/RAID- controller card (that’s what it’s called) is giving out. I’m also assuming your 13GB is an IDE (ATA or PATA) drive, not a SATA.

Honestly, if it were me, I’d scrub SATA on that machine, remove the controller card, and go with a larger IDE drive. You can install XP and your aplications on it and be done with it. Your only catch would be that you might have to update to the latest BIOS to support a large hard drive. Some may argue with me here, they are certainly welcome to chime in, but you have an aging system and more “stuff” on it means more possible points of failure.

You can get an enclosure that can let you plug in your SATA drive to a USB port and allow you to recover your data and use the drive later for backups.

Here are a couple of links:

80GB IDE drive

SATA-to-USB Enclosure

I'm guessing your BIOS is at least good enough to go up to 32GB or more. If it turns out that you need a BIOS update (you may want to check for this first), go to the computer manufacturer’s website- they should have a free BIOS download. Just be sure to follow the directions carefully.

Again- if you need further help, post back.

I hope this does it :thumbsup:
  • edited November 2007
    My current drive that I am using is a 120 GB, so my BIOS will handle a new HD if that's what I need to do.

The SATA drive was installed years ago when I was going to edit all my 8mm video, I bought the SATA drive and video card and a mulitude of other "things" just so I could do the editing, but did one video and got bored with it. I just thought maybe I could use it since it's there.

I do have most of the stuff backed up on my SATA drive, but honestly I don't know for sure it's there. I know I copied my C: contents to it a while ago, but I don't remember how long ago that was.

I have a removeable hard drive that I backed my stuff up to before we left CA, but I checked on it and only my pictures are there, not my documents, which really wouldn't be a huge loss if they were gone, but would be nice to keep if I can.

I think I will go back to Staples tomorrow, they had a ATA drive there, I think it was 160 GB for $59 (might have been $69) I believe. I am looking for an online coupon. I have a $10 off coupon but that's if I buy ink and I certainly don't need ink, and won't pay their prices for it just to save $10. :s

Would it be worth it to reformat my 13GB drive just to load my OS on there, couldn't I use it just to run XP and use my current drive as a slave to save all the data to?
  • edited November 2007
    Well shoot! I just drove down to Staples to just buy the stupid HD and they're closed! 8:30 on a Friday night and they're closed??!!

Ugh. I guess I'll try to find a good deal online and see if I can save any money, if I don't find anything much cheaper, I'll go back to Staples tomorrow.
    edited November 2007
    whittibo wrote:
    I think I will go back to Staples tomorrow, they had a ATA drive there, I think it was 160 GB for $59 ....

.... Would it be worth it to reformat my 13GB drive just to load my OS on there, couldn't I use it just to run XP and use my current drive as a slave to save all the data to?

I have two Western Digitals of that very vintage (160GB) that are a combined 7-8 years and going. Of course, I paid a lot more for them then :D .

Yes, the 13GB certainly could work for a while. Windows XP should have about 2GB to play with (it doesn't take up that much space but likes some wiggle room for the page file and System Volume for a short term useage). However, your apps might take up the bulk of any space (some insist on the OS partition). If you can live without video on that drive for a while and leave yourself about half the drive when done, you should be fine. Try to stay under about 75% useage to avoid fragmentation issues as much as possible.
  • edited November 2007
    Would it just be easier to start with a new HD and get it over with? Or would it be worth saving the $60 and using my 13GB?

I know I am dumping money into this old computer and wasting money essentially, BUT it does work, so I want to get as much life out of it as possible. Besides, I can't afford a replacement right now. :s

What would I have to do to use my 13GB? I would have to reformat it and install XP right? But all my other programs I use would have to be on it too? Like Works, Word, Office... ugh.. I don't use all that stuff, but when you need it, it's nice to have it on there. :s
    edited November 2007
    There are some questions only you can really answer- however you do have enough to patch together a temporary solution for a while to think about what's involved in a new system. I think you're out of emergency mode now.

This discussion can go Here for ideas. If you do decide to post be sure to think out what you want to do with the PC, what you are going to want new for your PC (like monitor? Blu-Ray?, etc) and how much you can spend.
  • edited November 2007
    Well I think a new system is out of the question right now. There is just no money for it. I have everything I need if I can just get things operating again.

I will go tomorrow to Staples and get that HD and reinstall XP and then move over all my junk from the old HD. Once we get our debt paid down I will replace the computers one at a time, but if I can just get this one working now, that's all I really need.

I'll post tomorrow once I get the new HD and try to install XP. I assume all I do is just put the new HD in there and boot from the CD and get to that repair/reinstall screen and from there just tell it to do a fresh install on the new HD? Then I can link up my HD as a slave. I think I have to change some buttons on the HD's right?
    edited November 2007
    whittibo wrote:
    ... I think I have to change some buttons on the HD's right?

Yes- they are called jumpers. You also have to connect the drives properly on the cable(s). The master is always on the end. You can jumper select Master or Slave or you can jumper for Cable Select (CS) which lets the drive's connection on the cable select for you.

Jumper configuration directions can usually be found on the drive. If not, they are also in the manual which can also be found online.
  • edited November 2007
    Well wouldn't you know it, I went to Staples to buy the ONE hard drive they had that would work for me and it was GONE!

Walmart had a 120GB WD drive but was $78 and I was NOT going to pay that much. I just ordered a 100GB WD drive from Tiger Direct. I hope I got my order in in time for it to ship today. If I did, I should have it Tuesday, if not, I will have it Wednesday. I hate waiting, but wasn't about to pay nearly $100 for a hard drive.

For the time being, I might try reformatting the 13GB drive and loading XP on it, but I might just wait. I would rather do it once and have it done.

Now if I reload XP onto a new HD, I will also have to reinstall all my other programs right? Even if I have my old drive set up as a slave? And all my settings are going to be reset. But at least I'll have my files and pictures!
    edited November 2007
    whittibo wrote:
    Now if I reload XP onto a new HD, I will also have to reinstall all my other programs right? Even if I have my old drive set up as a slave?

Yes.
  • edited November 2007
    Darn. Guess I'll have to start digging through the attic again for all my old discs. :(

Thanks for all the help. I didn't get notice yesterday that the HD shipped, so I am assuming it won't ship till tomorrow which means I should have it Wednesday. The wait is killing us, not having that extra computer is hard!
  • edited November 2007
    I hope someone is here to help me.

I got my new HD today, I got WinXP installed but none of my drivers are working. I can't get online because my Windows is trying to connect and it says I need a password, but the password isn't working, so I made it an un-secure network so I wouldn't need any password, and it still says I need a password.

If I could get online I could update all my drivers because with everything being so old, I either don't have the drivers, or my drivers are too old.
    edited November 2007
    Sounds like you need to install the Network card drivers (I assume you have the D845GLLY, NOT the D845GLLYL model (which has an on-board LAN). Just look where your wire plugs in. Either case, you will need to find the CD or diskette for the card or mainboard or look for them online and put them on a disk.

Or are you wireless?

If you DO own the "L" version, you can try the drivers here if you have lost the CD.

Hope that helps. Have a great holiday regardless :) .
  • edited November 2007
    Thanks. I uninstalled the wireless driver and then reinstalled it and that worked to get me online, BUT, I still can't get the video driver to install, so my monitor settings are all wacky and I can't change it. I have the driver for the monitor, but not the video card I guess? :s

Once I get the video working, I need to start reinstalling all the other programs right? And then I can bring over my pictures and emails and such from my old HD? I successfully set up my old HD as a slave, so I can access the info on there (I looked for the updated drivers on there, but couldn't find the ones I needed).

And you have a great Thanksgiving too! I am thankful for THIS forum this Thanksgiving. :)
    edited November 2007
    Try This (Number 3.) if you are using the on-board video. You'll know if it plugs into the main board and not into a card in a slot connector.

If you have a separate card, try to find the vendor and model number- then hit their website.
  • edited November 2007
    Qeldroma wrote:
    Sounds like you need to install the Network card drivers (I assume you have the D845GLLY, NOT the D845GLLYL model

Yes, I have the first one, the D845GLLY.

I have a video card, but I think that is just for transferring video in from my old camera (8mm maybe?) My monitor plugs right into the back where there is a block of something that attaches to the motherboard, so it's just an on-board video right?

I will try the link you provided! Thanks so much!
  • edited November 2007
    THANK YOU!!!!! It worked. Now I have my resolution set correctly and am going to start installing my programs now and setting up my network again.

At least the computer is running, and I found all my pictures and documents. I will have to get my Outlook Express emails set up, I don't use Outlook anymore, but I have about 5000 -8000 emails saved that I still go back to look at occasionally, so it's nice to have those there.