Post your Super Pi 1M scores here:

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    Sexy OC. What kind of graphics are you running in that shiz?
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited August 2009
    A single GTX 280 right now

wtb SLI :D
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    3849414500_26d166039e_o.png

Damn my Q9300 and its insanely low multiplier. I still love it though, much better than my 3800+ x2 <3

The insanely bad 8M time is pre-overclock for reference... or at least that's my excuse for being too lazy to run it again.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    My Core i7 920 - Overclocked to 3.4ghz
    I do not keep it this high that often because I need to purchase a better heatsink. Although it runs stable. I have done a prime 95 torture test and the temps stay pretty good. But every once in a while it gets a little too hot for my likings.
    Not as nice as Serps i7 920.

superpis.jpg
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    A large part of why Serp got his 920 to OC so far is because he turned off hyper-threading. If you just want a kick ass SuperPi score, turn off hyper-threading and OC the crap out of that thing.
    edited August 2009
    Thanks Obsidion.
    I put it up to 3.8Ghz with hyperthreading off. Got my Super Pi score in the 10 second range.

I ran a prime 95 torture test. I got not errors. But this AI manager program that I got gave me some temperature warnings. I wont keep it this high until I get that heatsink

And the voltage seemed kind of high (I have the voltage set to automatic)

sperpihigher.jpg
    edited August 2009
    Auto voltage controllers tend to bump the voltage too high when overclocking. If you use that overclock permanently, you'll probably want to switch to manual control and fine-tune it yourself to minimize heat generation.
  • makoa26makoa26 Las Vegas
    edited August 2009
    Capture.jpg
    1 Ghz over stock and I barely break into the 14's. Notice my temps....FAH
    edited August 2009
    SuperPI is not a real test of your CPU power. It really only gives you a way to demonstrate your CPU's frequency. I've noticed that there seems to be no difference in PI calculation times between, for example, an E8400 @ 3.8 and an i7 @ 3.8, yet the i7 is a much more powerful CPU.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    That is because you are doing a calc of PI. No matter what proc you use to do basic math functions(+ - / *) there is a set number of clock cycles that have to be used to perform it.
    edited August 2009
    Exactly. As a result, PI calculations are not a good comparison of CPU power.
  • makoa26makoa26 Las Vegas
    edited August 2009
    At 3.4Ghz Trumandrummer's i7 920 cranks out 11.6, my Kentfield gets into the 14's by cheating (I disabled almost every unneccessary service). Pentium 4 would do......high thirtys I guess. It's not just frequency, architecture plays a role here.<cite class="ic-username"></cite>
    edited August 2009
    I'm not completely discounting architecture, but the calculation is based much more highly on frequency than architecture. Real-world and synthetic benchmarks such as games, data compression speed, and other such tests will show a larger difference between an i7 and an older CPU.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Trying my luck & have the system running at 3.4Ghz with stock cooler at .928v

First PI run

attachment.php?attachmentid=27684&stc=1&d=1256239197
    PI.png 454.6K
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited November 2009
    Got my water cooling setup going and decided to go on a suicide run :p

46pi8842s.jpg
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    we need to hang out more Marcus!
    edited November 2009
    Oh Snap 600MHz more on water over air cooling!!! gets 1.5sec's faster times :) Very nice.... I would love to see what your final fine tuning hits that CPU at.

Here is my latest running at 4.0GHz on air...

attachment.php?attachmentid=27816&stc=1&d=1257723767

What temps are you hitting at 4.6GHz on full load with water?
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited November 2009
    I really doubt that 4.6 run was stable enough to do stress testing. I had to use 1.42v just to be able to boot and even then the desktop was kind of flaky.

I can run 4.2 stable at 1.36v with idle temps around 40c and load temps with prime95 at 50c. Running LinX load temps get around 60c.

Intel's recommended max vcore for i7 920s is 1.36v, but there are people that run at 1.4v daily with out problems so maybe 4.6Ghz isn't that far away:D
    edited November 2009
    Holy S*** Serp :eek:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited December 2009
    New i7 build @ stock speeds until the mounting kit arrives for my water block.

i7 920, GA-EX58-UD3R, 6GB OCZ DDR3-1600 (OCZ3OB1600LV6GK)

i7-920-stock.PNG
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited December 2009
    I take back what I said about max vcore being 1.36v, that's the max VID voltage. Intel documentation states 1.55v is max vcore.

:rockon:Grats Mason on the new i7 build:rockon:
    edited December 2009
    Yes... I got my system almost at 4.4Ghz but the Super PI scores are not increasing much.
    edited December 2009
    This is stable for 8hrs of of OCCT. Probably going to disable Turbo and run 200x20 if I can do it with this voltage. Any higher and the temps get a bit higher than I'm comfortable with, at least until I add a res into the water loop.

i7-920-4GHz.PNG

Serp wrote:
    :rockon:Grats Mason on the new i7 build:rockon:

Thanks! This thing is crazy fast even coming from a Q6600 @ 3.8GHz and my VMs are loving the nested paging.
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited December 2009
    What are your load temps?
    edited December 2009
    High 70s. I'm using a ghetto-fabulous zip-tie mount on my Apogee GT until the LGA1366 mounting kit arrives and as I mentioned above, no reservoir right now.
  • edited December 2009
    Core2 6320 @3.2

17.19 sec 1M
    edited April 2010
    I got a new score a 4.2Ghz

attachment.php?attachmentid=28314&stc=1&d=1270704013
    edited April 2010
    I finally dethroned Serp!

attachment.php?attachmentid=28344&stc=1&d=1272013308
    pi.JPG 204.9K
  • edited April 2010
    I finally dethroned Serp!

Did you set the affinity of SuperPi to one of the cores in task manager? Your score can be higher if you do that.
    edited April 2010
    mirage wrote:
    Did you set the affinity of SuperPi to one of the cores in task manager? Your score can be higher if you do that.

Oh really? testing...