Need more folding machines

t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
edited August 2003 in Folding@Home
We really need to pick up the pace!
So, I just got another machine folding. It's a dual xeon 2.2ghz workstation. It's not as good as an dual AMD workstation, but it should add a few more points. :thumbsup:

C'mon people... We need to find some more folding power.
:fold:

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    The one Keebs is adding is going to help alot. I am working on a few of the guys in work to try and get a few more there. Its not bloody easy I can tell you.:shakehead
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited August 2003
    I know it's not an easy task recruiting... My brother just built a new computer with an XP2500+. I'm going to see if I can get him folding too.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I managed to install F@H on my father's work PC using Firedaemon. He's folding for 93 without his knowledge. Unfortunately his is the only machine I can gain access to that has any power.
  • BDRBDR
    edited August 2003
    I'll soon be working on adding another Folder. It won't be a powerhouse, but it will do the job nicely. :D
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I'm trying to get my brother to start with his 1gig, 1.2 gig amd's and with his dual p3 700, but it might cost me a couple of quiet case fans, and I'm sure that's something I can handle
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    DanG said
    I'm trying to get my brother to start with his 1gig, 1.2 gig amd's and with his dual p3 700, but it might cost me a couple of quiet case fans, and I'm sure that's something I can handle

It will be worth it if you can get a few more machines folding for us.
  • edited August 2003
    I'm about maxxed out right now. I added my brother's computer a couple of weeks ago after I upgraded him to a Tbred 1700. I only have it running at 1.733 due to the fact that I need to cool it with an Alpha PEP66T without using a Delta screamer 60mm on it.

Maybe later on this year I'll be able to upgrade my dually's to Barton 2500's but I'm in the middle of a porch rebuilding project right now which is just sucking up all my extra money.:(

I'm seriously thinking of a P4/Canterwood setup for around Christmas though.:ninja:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    I am adding a Celeron 700 and 1800+ full time and 1800+ part time here soon. Maybe some more points when school starts up and the computers turn on again.:)
  • ReignReign New York
    edited August 2003
    mmonnin said
    I am adding a Celeron 700 and 1800+ full time and 1800+ part time here soon. Maybe some more points when school starts up and the computers turn on again.:)

Won't you get your lab up again?
  • edited August 2003
    I'm adding my Dad's work machine as well. A 800Mhz P4 at the moment, but next week it'll be a 1.4 P4.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited August 2003
    Uhh... 800MHz P4? 1.4GHz P4? You mean P3, right?
    edited August 2003
    Reign said
    mmonnin said

Won't you get your lab up again?

No, new images will be installed. FAH is not on the image.

Wish I could go back. And that was in HS and now I am in college.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited August 2003
    You can look forward to a few more machines courtesy of this Sim dude.

P4 2.4C @ 3.3
    P4 2.26B @ 2.9
    AMD Athlon 1000
    AMD Athlon 800
    2 x Dual P3-800's
    P3-500 (eww, Katmai) :D

Give it 2 weeks and I'll have them all folding for 93 :D
  • edited August 2003
    Geeky1 said
    Uhh... 800MHz P4? 1.4GHz P4? You mean P3, right?

Err.... yeah.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Just recently built my sister an Abit KX7333/Palomino 2000 machine. My fee was her running Folding 24/7. (In my name, of course.)

My two office P4 1600 Dell Omniplex (real dogs) I converted to Folding version 3.25 beta to get SSE cranked up. Hope that helps. The "-forecasm switch" - is that automatically enabled in 3.25? I haven't had a chance to research that yet.
    edited August 2003
    SSE should be enables by default on Intels unless they experience some type of instability. Its only AMDs that have SSE does it need to have -forceasm because of the way AMD implemented SSE into the cores of Athlons and such. And then it has to be 3.25 to get SSE on an Athlon. Otherwise it will juse use 3dnow! extensions with forceasm.
    edited August 2003
    OK, how do I turn on the -forecasm switch? If it's complicated, you could link me to a thread?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Right click and choose properties of the shortcut you use to start the program (probably in the startup menu) and in the target line add "-forceasm" (without the quotes) outside of the quotes (if there are any around the target) at the end. Quit and restart using that shortcut.

ex:

Target: "c:\program files\folding@home\fah3.exe" -forceasm
  • MancabusMancabus Charlottesville, VA
    edited August 2003
    I just added 6 more PC's last week that fold for 8 to 10 hours a day, sometimes more if the user leaves it on all night.

In order of power.
    2 P4 2.8's
    1 P4 2.66
    1 P3 Celery 1.4 (256 L2 cache)
    1 P4 Celery 1.8 (128 L2 cache)
    1 P3 650 (sad but better than nothing)

Some prospects:

2 P4 2.8's
    1 P4 2.53
    3 P4 1.8's
    Pentium M 1.4
    edited August 2003
    :eek2::eek2:
    edited August 2003
    Right click and choose properties of the shortcut you use to start the program...

I will definitely do that, after, after that is, I get the computer running again! I'm awaiting a replacement system BIOS chip. It should arrive tomorrow.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Um, ok,I won't ask why a chip. I just flashed an Intel P4 board in about 70 seconds from within Windows. Key is to kill programs not needed for Windows first. It flashes on 98SE through XP, starts as a legal Wise Installer process (standard Windows program installer). I took a BIOS from P10 build 4 to P17 Build 33 (late July, 2003) in about twice as many seconds including reboot as the build number, FLAWLESSLY. This is the first tiem I have taken that route, previously I used iFLash (DOS based BIOS flasher). This was not on your mobo, but the flashing was so easy it was rediculous as the file was in a desktop subfolder to start with. Kudos to Intel.
    edited August 2003
    Sometimes the chips go bad or it was a bad flash. Maybe there is another reason. Not sure.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Nice work, Mancabus! :cool:
    edited August 2003
    The BIOS chip was bad from the start. It would almost always require an Insert function, CMOS discharge, or CMOS battery removal after BIOS upgrades or even very minor FSB attempted changes. I didn't help things by continuing to try. It finally just refused to boot at all. I've ordered a new BIOS chip rather than wait four weeks or more for an Abit RMA.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    t1rhino said
    So, I just got another machine folding. :thumbsup:
    SimGuy said
    You can look forward to a few more machines courtesy of this Sim dude.
    Leonardo said
    Just recently built my sister an Abit KX7333/Palomino 2000 machine. My fee was her running Folding 24/7. (In my name, of course.)
    Mancabus said
    I just added 6 more PC's last week that fold for 8 to 10 hours a day, sometimes more if the user leaves it on all night.
    This team is Rockin'!

:thumbsup::fold::respect::fold:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Our trendline looks BAD! We've got no conquests at the current rate, and 4 teams will overtake us within a year.

I just added my Secondary rig, currently an XP2500+ at stock, soon to be an XP2100+ at 2.17GHz (XP2700 stock speed). I'm also changing my sister's rig over to WinXP, so I'll run F@H as a service with -advmethods instead of the graphical client. I'm also going to add my primary rig when I build it, which will be the XP2500+ at XP3200+ speed. I just put my work PC on Genomes 4 hours a day each weekday. And I'm going to possibly add another stock 1700 and maybe a stock XP2500 later on... I hope it helps...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    Cripes, GHoosdum. You sound like Geo. Washington at Valley Forge... :eek3::tongue:

Just kidding, guy - I had it pointed out to me recently (mmonnin?) that the trend line depends a lot on two-week old ups & downs.

You have to factor in things like power blackouts, server (Stanford) whims, etc. It all averages out, eventually. Another factor is that while this is an established team, it's still a young team. Lots of our big point producers are college men and women who suffer a seasonal summer slump - they'll be back when the ol' pigskin starts to fly again.

I might be way off on this, but I think the "NO Conquests" thing is largely a mark of the fact that we were one of the first teams to jump into the project. Look at the #'s of some of those around us, many have four, or even five digit team numbers. Those teams are to be commended for their achievement, but it is easy to spot some built-in advantages for most of them. In our case, having no conquests merely means we got out of the box in a rush, leaving the rest of the pack to chase us. A few have done so succesfully, most have not.

I agree with your attitude wholeheartedly - you set a fine example of someone able to "walk-the-walk". I'm going to follow your lead and get on the phone to my sister and see if we can't bring another computer on-line for good old 93. :thumbsup::respect::fold:

(BTW - Things didn't turn out so bad for old Geo., either!:vimp: )
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Too true about the school year folding season. However, I think the Conquests section (I'm looking at extreme oc's site here) shows teams we're going to pass in the future judging by current production rates. So in order to gain back our #7 (or was it #6?) slot, we need to increase production. You make a great point with the short-term affects on the trendline though.

And good going on bringing in the sister's PC.

Fold on! :fold::fold::fold:
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited August 2003
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you should also have -advmethods too, right?

winFAH.exe -forceasm -advmethods

3.25b client with either AMD or Intel.
    Leonardo said
    Right click and choose properties of the shortcut you use to start the program...

I will definitely do that, after, after that is, I get the computer running again! I'm awaiting a replacement system BIOS chip. It should arrive tomorrow.