We're about to be passed

a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
edited September 2003 in Folding@Home
Team Ars Technica is about to pass us up. They're gaining 5,000 points a day and are on pace to pass us by on Sunday!

Come on guys! We're losing ground!

Can someone put a HUGE sign on the front page of the forums asking people to start folding? All the machines I can get folding are folding. Maybe in the future I can get some more, but for right now 5 is all I got, and I'm about to lose one of those.

We need to :fold::fold::fold::fold::fold:

Comments

• SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited August 2003
    Ever sence the real icrontic went down the drain so has our production. At least in my opinion.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    On balance, our membership is down from six months ago. The good news is that our membership is rising every week now. We will get back to previous production levels, but it may take a while.

That means - recruit, recruit, recruit!:eek:
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited August 2003
    The current pace looks good from what it was several weeks ago.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    i am getting as many as i can! i got my pc my lappy my fathers and Cheech from team addaboy and I am trying to get Hawk from team addaboy to switch
    edited August 2003
    We don't want to be stealing other team's members. If they want to join then they can.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited August 2003
    :mad: Damn eggrolls...

:fold:

/me puts a rush order on the new servers...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    The opteron system that I'm building today will fold for the entire weekend, at least.... :(
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    well..sumtime in decemberish i am going to upgrade and get a killer system...im prolly gonna do dual opterons and watercool it..but thats all subject to change with how much money i get for building comps etc
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    There was a time long ago when we were on a steady decline, we lost about 9 positions and were kicked back to 18th or 19th. We then picked ourselves up and literally thrashed all those Teams who had passed over us and made our way back up to 5th spot. :cool:

And then....

As Leo stated our Team had faced a great challenge in the old IC dissolving and things seemed in much disarray. In large part, we stuck together and kept the Team chugging and are now surging back forward and building momentum as our graph dictates.

We have turned the corner on our latest decline my friends and if we keep it up, great things will happen. :thumbsup:

Also, it's good to be passed once in a while because it's so fun to have an immediate challenge and goal of repassing those teams with whom knocked us back a step. :rarr:
    edited August 2003
    Thread cleaned up, please, back to the topic......

...so, we're about to be passed, what in hell are we going to do about it? :rarr:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    TBonZ said
    ...so, we're about to be passed, what in hell are we going to do about it? :rarr:

We're going to recruit and bring more PC's online ourselves... I started my work PC folding now, even though it's against company policy (shh don't tell!) and I convinced CBDroege to fold for Team Short-Media, instead of Team Nexlia that he and I were both folding our main rigs for... I also switched all my rigs to S-M... and I'll be bringing my new primary online soon, and possibly another XP1700 and maybe one more PC soon... I had to stop my notebook from folding though, because it was taking a week of burning myself at the rate I use the thing to turn in a WU... damn shame. :shakehead
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I was going to install folding on our work machines, but I have a feeling they would have just burst into flames :shakehead

NS
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I was going to install folding on our work machines, but I have a feeling they would have just burst into flames

Right. I wouldn't want to install it on an older computer that I had inspected internally - heatsink, fans, dust....
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I wouldn't mind if my work machine DID burst into flames... maybe I'll cram some dust in there... I'd like to get a new machine here at work...
    edited August 2003
    BTW Thrax sorry bout getting off topic. anywho Any special settings I should use on a laptop when its folding? its taking forever! like its been foling a 250 work unit for 5 days and its only on 123. and its a 1 ghz amd duron lappy
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited August 2003
    Do you have all the power save features turned off? Don't want that CPU to be clocked down just because you haven't touched the keyboard/mouse in 30 minutes.

Also, you can try running winFAH.exe -advmethods -forceasm

Don't know if that works on the older Athlons/Durons, but it works on the newer ones.
    Gnomewizardd said
    BTW Thrax sorry bout getting off topic. anywho Any special settings I should use on a laptop when its folding? its taking forever! like its been foling a 250 work unit for 5 days and its only on 123. and its a 1 ghz amd duron lappy
    edited August 2003
    no the power features are turned off
    edited August 2003
    All right guys! You're doing great!
    Just checked the stats and we've pushed back the takeover date from Sunday to Monday. I hate that we still have a takeover date, but it's been pushed back a whole day due to increased production!

You guys rock! :thumbsup:
    :fold::fold::fold::fold::fold:
    edited August 2003
    How about knocking that date back to Wed. :D Great work everybody, we have been consistently orange for a few days now. :thumbsup::respect:
    edited August 2003
    I really, Really, REALLY like the pattern this team has shown the past 2 weeks. Nothing but UP. I feel a lot better about this teams progress.:)

Fold on everyone, you are kicking ass.
    edited August 2003
    I think I know why it went back 3 days. We may just stay ahead of Ars. They lost their #1 folder. Thats ~24k a week they dont have. Weekly shows 18k but he was doing about 3500 a day average.

We have actually pulled away the past few days.
    edited August 2003
    He must work for NASA . . . THAT'S NOT FAIR! hahaha. :D

Actually, I hope he comes back because folding needs his help, but I hope he joins Team 93! not rejoin Ars!
    mmonnin said
    I think I know why it went back 3 days. We may just stay ahead of Ars. They lost their #1 folder. Thats ~24k a week they dont have. Weekly shows 18k but he was doing about 3500 a day average.

We have actually pulled away the past few days.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    He posted on Ars Openforums - he said his lab was down for the weekend only. He'll be back on Tuesday full force.

Kiss our repreive goodbye :(
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    I dunno about you guys, but that's not how I would like to stay ahead or pass someone. We should have to work for it ;)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    shwaip said
    I dunno about you guys, but that's not how I would like to stay ahead or pass someone. We should have to work for it ;)

Good show, shwaip :)
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede
    looks for Internet Cafe´s on his business trip :D
    Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    looks for Internet Cafe´s on his business trip :D
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited August 2003
    Tis a major bummer that people are starting to catch us but we can catch up again. I'll send an e-mail out to a few friends and see if I can't get them folding as well.

Norge
  • JakeJake Alec Baldwin's Chest Hair
    edited September 2003
    We're no lame ducks, though, even come Tuesday. t1rhino, MikeP, and myself have all greatly increased our production in the past week or two. And, as I'm sure the observant have already noticed, Jumpin'_Jack seems to be getting rather quickly back into the swing of things. If he ends up coming back full-strength... well, trust me, we ain't looking that bad these days.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited September 2003
    Well I dunno if it can be credited with any of the recent upswing in production or not, but I did post a thread about F@H on an aquarium forum I'm a member of- linked to stanford's site as well as here, so...

Little OT, but... if you plan on folding on a laptop, do yourself (and it) a favor, and add some external cooling- it's going to need it. Laptop heatsinks are designed with very little headroom for high heat output, and generally have very little tolerance for dust, and the laptop will run very hot if it's running F@H without some kind of external cooling, regardless of how old/slow it is.
    edited September 2003
    Doesn't the GoogleBar fold in the background? Maybe we could do something like that for S-M! :D