WD Raptor 74
    Lian Li PC65B
    OCZ DDR 500 (PC4000) [512 x2]
    Thermalright XP-120 w/ Thermaltake 120mm fan
    OCZ Modstream 520W
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    wow u lucky mofo ;D

edit: your current rig specs better be reeeally bad if you're getting that good of a system :p
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2005
    It looks like they are giving you extra front & rear panel connectors for audio, USB, and what looks like an extra SATA port for an external drive. Plus, a tote bag for lugging stuff around to a LAN party. :p

For $18 more, it looks like a fair enough deal. If it were me I would probably go ahead and get the super-duper package. If nothing else, it will make the resale value higher if you decide to sell it off after your next upgrade.

If there is only one extra component that you actually use you will probably be getting a good deal. Buying that sort of stuff a la carte will probably run you as much for one item as it would to get the whole works in one shot.

Looks like a sweet rig - I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. :D

EDIT: Sorry I took so long to reply. I think you made a wise choice. :thumbsup:
  • edited July 2005
    Thanks but profdlp please explain your post I'm confused by:

"If there is only one extra component that you actually use you will probably be getting a good deal. Buying that sort of stuff a la carte will probably run you as much for one item as it would to get the whole works in one shot."

No clue there....

Again thanks for ALL the help with all these threads, I'll get some benchmarks and pics up for you ASAP.
    edited July 2005
    lol he's saying its cheaper to pay $18 extra and get them all together, then buying the cheaper one and later deciding you want to buy those extras seperately (a la carte - mexican term. i would know. look at my location lol).

Yes its better to spend the extra $18.00 imo and get the extra goodies :D
    edited July 2005
    lol he's saying its cheaper to pay $18 extra and get them all together, than buying the cheaper one and later deciding you want to buy those extras seperately...
    Precisely. :)

Suppose you had gotten the cheaper one now, then later on decided you wanted the external SATA bracket. You could easily pay $18 just for that (and the separate shipping charge).

Not to mention the peace of mind that comes from knowing that you are ready for any configuration you choose. Even if it's well down the road from now you will have the flexibility to use all of the features the board offers. :D
  • edited July 2005
    I guess I read it too fast, makes perfect sense know, and yes I know what a la carte is, lol.
  • edited July 2005
    Someone just told me that the onboard is better than the Audigy 2ZS, thoughts???

Ended up cancelling my order, If I find I need the soundcard, I'll re-order it. :thumbsup:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Someone just told me that the onboard is better than the Audigy 2ZS, thoughts???

Ended up cancelling my order, If I find I need the soundcard, I'll re-order it. :thumbsup:
    I like the sound on mine a lot. Just remember not to use the "Realtek" drivers and just use the audio drivers included in the Nforce driver set.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    I second mtgoat. The onboard sound is good, but I don't know if it's better than an Audigy 2ZS.
  • edited July 2005
    Is there anything I should know before putting this thing together...

I've heard things being mentioned with the floppy and sata for the raptor, could someone detail that for me? :D

Also does anyone else have any thoughts on Audigy 2zs vs. nf4 onboard.
  • edited July 2005
    Any thoughts at all guys?

The post above this is what I'm curious about.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2005
    The floppy is most likely to be used for installing the SATA driver during XP install. Press F6 when prompted and the screen will come up later for driver install.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited July 2005
    I would personally save the money and not get the Audigy. I've been using onboard sound for several years now and it suits me just fine.
    edited July 2005
    Try the onboard sound. If you don't like it, then you can always buy the Audigy later.
    edited July 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    Try the onboard sound. If you don't like it, then you can always buy the Audigy later.
    That's the best idea. :thumbsup:

I used to avoid any MB with onboard sound, but the technology has come a long way in the past couple of years. My latest system has the "nothing fancy" onboard Realtek AC97 sound and it is surprisingly good. I had planned to upgrade to a fancy card at some point, but will now put the money toward something else.
    edited July 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    My latest system has the "nothing fancy" onboard Realtek AC97 sound and it is surprisingly good.
    mine too! I have it hooked up to my 6-speaker Bose stereo system, and I think its perfect :cool:
    edited July 2005
    The real cool thing about these boards is that if you don't want to use the onboard you can physically remove it from the board completely. It is a separate module that plugs into a socket on the board. And like Prof said to try it first then...... :thumbsup:
  • edited July 2005
    That's good advice that I plan to follow.
  • edited July 2005
    "First PCI-e slot blocked by heatpipes"

That's what my heatsink [Thermalright xp-120] does to my motherboard...

I'm wondering if I can use the other PCI-e slot that isn't blocked, or if I should send this unit back and get a different heatsink.
    edited July 2005
    hm is there any way you could safely bend it?

(would that be wise?) :scratch:
  • edited July 2005
    hm is there any way you could safely bend it?

(would that be wise?) :scratch:

Bend what??

I'm just wondering if you can use either one of the PCI-e slots...
    edited July 2005
    Check out the pictures on this link. It doesn't block either of my PCI-E slots. It does overlap 1 of the RAM slots, but I just installed my RAM before the XP-120. Plus extra airflow is an added bonus.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50963&highlight=DFI+XP120 :):)
  • edited July 2005
    Okay so basically put the heatsink the way he has it and the RAM in before I install the heatsink.

Which brings me to another question...

Which DIMMs do I Install my two 512 sticks into...

OCz ddr 500 Gold PC 4000vx (2 x 512mb)

Yes now I'm curious, as to which DIMMs I need to use for the best performance from my RAM and then we can go from there.

Thanks for the link btw..

Any thoughts?

----

I just saw that thread on BIOS....

So much confusion: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57952
    edited July 2005
    Use the orange slots.

I am moving up to the XP-120 on mine as we type and it is no problem as long as you don't have tall sticks. My G. Skill 4400LE TCCD fits very nicely under the XP-120 but have seen where some taller sticks (particularly with heatspreaders) will touch or even worse. I also tried my wife's Patriot 3200XLBK TCCD with heatspreaders and they fit a little tighter but still not touching. I agree that the excess airflow from the heatsink will cool the dimms very nicely! :D

Damn, getting to be time to change my sig again. :/
  • edited July 2005
    Rgr, may I ask why you're using the orange slots???
    edited July 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Rgr, may I ask why you're using the orange slots???
    It has been proven that slots 2 and 4 (the orange slots) perform better. The slots are numbered from the farthest from the CPU socket first as 1, 2, 3 and 4 (which corresponds to "Orange".
    The four DIMM slots support up to 4GB of up to DDR400 memory in a Dual-Channel memory configuration. Dual-Channel 1 is DIMMs 1 and 3, and Dual-Channel 2 is DIMMs 2 and 4. DFI specifies support for both ECC and non-ECC unbuffered memory. Contacts at DFI advise that best overclocking is achieved with the dual-channel DIMMs in Sockets 2 and 4.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337

4dimm.jpg
  • edited July 2005
    Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Now I'm curious DDR500 works riiight???
    edited July 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Now I'm curious DDR500 works riiight???
    Look in my sig, I'm using DDR550. So why wouldn't DDR500 work??? :scratch: It will all work and be detected properly. All you need to do is run it how you want to with in it's limitations. TCCD has the widest range of any memory on the market and is why I use it and recomend it.
    edited July 2005
    thats very interesting about slots 2 and 4. Does something like that apply on the Ultra-D NF3 939 also?