Advice on new PC

1235»

Comments

• PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    What's the ambient temperature? For comparison my 3700+ San Diego runs 37-38 at idle and around 43-44 on load....same motherboard and heatsink.
  • edited August 2005
    Sorry I meant ambient temp, like running everything I normally run but nothing intense, like a game.

When it's at full load, it's temp goes to about 40-42.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    yeah thats about the same as my temps. idle is pretty constant 38-40, gaming probably just a few degrees higher.
  • edited August 2005
    Are either of you guys running a thermalright xp-120??
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    My 64 3200+ runs ~39'c idle, ~47'c load I think. Probably due to my room being a furnace...
    edited August 2005
    what cpu cooler are you using?
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Are either of you guys running a thermalright xp-120??

I don't think I've ever quoted myself before, but yes I am running the "same motherboard and heatsink."
    edited August 2005
    lol ;D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    dj

What is the temp of the room your system is in? I also think your vid card is adding to the case temp as you have what, 2x 80mm fans in and out (total of 4)? My room is 26C and my 3700 SD is cooled by an XP-120 and I am overclocked to 2.8 on my CPU with an idle of 37C and full load while folding @42C. But I have a vid card that runs much cooler and a high CFM 120mm fan and an 80mm fan going in and anothe high CFM 120mm fan and 2 80mm fans blowing out. I am probably moving around 135 CFM of air through my case.
  • edited August 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    dj

What is the temp of the room your system is in? I also think your vid card is adding to the case temp as you have what, 2x 80mm fans in and out (total of 4)? My room is 26C and my 3700 SD is cooled by an XP-120 and I am overclocked to 2.8 on my CPU with an idle of 37C and full load while folding @42C. But I have a vid card that runs much cooler and a high CFM 120mm fan and an 80mm fan going in and anothe high CFM 120mm fan and 2 80mm fans blowing out. I am probably moving around 135 CFM of air through my case.

It's around 70-74 in my house.

I have an 80 mm fan on the top of my case blowind down onto everything, in front of the psu, and the fan inside that. I also have a 120mm fan cooling my hard drives, and an 80 mm fan on the back. I leave the side of my case off and cool my entire case with a recreational house fan. But yes my GPU runs very hot, at some times it goes above 80 celcius.
    edited August 2005
    thats pretty hot... you should'nt have to leave the case open and use a house fan, but w/e works I guess ;)
  • edited August 2005
    thats pretty hot... you should'nt have to leave the case open and use a house fan, but w/e works I guess ;)

What's hot? My house or the GPU??

I assume you're talking about the video card because it does get pretty damn hot at times.

I'm considering a watercooling kit but I believe that voids the warrantee. :scratch:
    edited August 2005
    yeah ur GPU. thats crazy. if you dont do WC, you should get an Arctic Silencer.

How does it void the warranty if you put the stock stuff back on before sending it back for RMA? :p
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    A Fan on the TOP blowing DOWN is bad as heat rises, so rather than the heat being able to rise to the top of the case it is just being forced back down again...
    edited August 2005
    My suggestion and it is only an idea from old experience. Go conventional airflow with lower fron going in and all fans on the rear sucking out. Then put a 120mm fan on the side panel so it blows on both the vid card and the CPU areas and put another 120mm fan on the top blowing air out of the case. Then put the side panel on so you have a flow pattern inside. The addition of an arctic silencer type GPU cooler would possibly help a lot.

BTW
    I agree with pilotswings about RMA and putting the stock cooler back if you have a problem.
  • edited August 2005
    yeah ur GPU. thats crazy. if you dont do WC, you should get an Arctic Silencer.

How does it void the warranty if you put the stock stuff back on before sending it back for RMA? :p

True, and ironically I have experience with those coolers, having installed one for my 6800. Have they released any for the 7800 GTX?
    Enverex wrote:
    A Fan on the TOP blowing DOWN is bad as heat rises, so rather than the heat being able to rise to the top of the case it is just being forced back down again...

It came pre-installed on the case. :scratch:
    mtgoat wrote:
    My suggestion and it is only an idea from old experience. Go conventional airflow with lower fron going in and all fans on the rear sucking out. Then put a 120mm fan on the side panel so it blows on both the vid card and the CPU areas and put another 120mm fan on the top blowing air out of the case. Then put the side panel on so you have a flow pattern inside. The addition of an arctic silencer type GPU cooler would possibly help a lot.

BTW
    I agree with pilotswings about RMA and putting the stock cooler back if you have a problem.

How should I install the fan to the side of my case, anyone have any pics of a similar install for a 120mm fan to the side of a Lian Li pc65b?
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    True, and ironically I have experience with those coolers, having installed one for my 6800. Have they released any for the 7800 GTX?
    It has some ideas here http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/alternate-cooler-for-7800gtx-vt61283.html?highlight=
    djstubbs wrote:
    It came pre-installed on the case. :scratch:
    just flip the fan around so its blowing straight up then.
    djstubbs wrote:
    How should I install the fan to the side of my case, anyone have any pics of a similar install for a 120mm fan to the side of a Lian Li pc65b?
    well... make a case mod project out of it :)
  • edited August 2005
    I might end up getting the Zalman, it looks great and also like it takes up less space.

I wouldn't want to get a heatsink that would prevent SLI, even though I probably won't ever get it. ;D

This is the one I was looking at.

http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=163&code=013

Seems pretty simple to install.

When my video card is idle it stays around 47 celcius.

Load temps can go above 80 celcius at times.

Right now I'm considering a few upgrades, or add-ons.

-Another WD Raptor 74
    -Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
    -Zalman VF700cu LED
    -2gb (2x 1gb) of RAM, and selling my current RAM
    edited August 2005
    You would need a hole saw, a dremel and some creativity.