Advice on new PC

Comments

• edited August 2005
    Do you guys reccomend the 77.72 drivers?

I'm running the 77.50s flawlessly, and remember reading some problems about the 77.72s but if anyone has any driver opinions for my card it would be good to hear.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    You could always set a system restore point. Install the new drivers. Bench and compare to the old. If they aren't up to par, just load the old restore point.
  • edited August 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    You could always set a system restore point. Install the new drivers. Bench and compare to the old. If they aren't up to par, just load the old restore point.

3dmark2005?

also: i'm kind of curious which audio drivers i'm running and if i need to update them...
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    or just roll-back the driver
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    3dmark2005?

also: i'm kind of curious which audio drivers i'm running and if i need to update them...

Which drivers did you load on install? There are the Nforce4 ones that come in the Forceware package and the Realtek ones. Just go into device manager and look which are there. I'm happy with the Nforce 4 personally.

3DMar2005 is a good benchmark, but you may want to add PCMark too.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    Which drivers did you load on install? There are the Nforce4 ones that come in the Forceware package and the Realtek ones. Just go into device manager and look which are there. I'm happy with the Nforce 4 personally.

3DMar2005 is a good benchmark, but you may want to add PCMark too.
    I am very happy with mine on the NF4 drivers also. I did try the Realtek drivers and they are a steaming pile by comparison.
  • edited August 2005
    nvidiadriver7gv.jpg

sooo?

also is there any reason why my 3dmark 2003 would be crashing?
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:

sooo?

also is there any reason why my 3dmark 2003 would be crashing?
    That sounds more like improper settings or more likely bad or not enough voltage. Are you currently running stock or overclocked?
  • edited August 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    That sounds more like improper settings or more likely bad or not enough voltage. Are you currently running stock or overclocked?

Well I've run 3dmark 2005, 3dmark 2001, aquamark, pcmark2004, pcmark 2005.

none of those progams have crashed so it has to be with 3dmark 2003 itself.
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Well I've run 3dmark 2005, 3dmark 2001, aquamark, pcmark2004, pcmark 2005.

none of those progams have crashed so it has to be with 3dmark 2003 itself.
    Did you download he latest version?
  • edited August 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Did you download he latest version?

edited August 2005
    There is a 3.6.0 currently out.
  • edited August 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    There is a 3.6.0 currently out.

Is that an update or a full install?

meh, i'll just check.
  • edited August 2005
    Okay downloaded and it worked, posted my score in the benchmark thread.

Anyways I've been looking for someone to explain amd 64 overclocking...

How it correlates with the memory, etc...

Anyone who knows a good deal, post here!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    ...I've been looking for someone to explain amd 64 overclocking...

How it correlates with the memory, etc...
    There is some great info in this thread.

I've held off from OC'ing my A64 3500+ since I got it in January, but a new heatsink and the advice from the thread I mentioned above is what I'm going to start with. :)
    edited August 2005
    i just wanna know this: if I overclock my 3200+ Winny, knowing nothing about OC'ing memory, will it be overclocking my memory as well? How does that work?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    If you overclock by increasing the FSB then yes, you'll be overclocking most of the system, if you just increase the multiplier then only the processor will be overclocked.
  • edited August 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    If you overclock by increasing the FSB then yes, you'll be overclocking most of the system, if you just increase the multiplier then only the processor will be overclocked.

explain further plz. :thumbsup:
    edited August 2005
    The speed of the processor is worked out by multiplying the multiplier by the Front Side Bus (FSB) so if you have a 200Mhz FSB and a 2GHz processor, the multiplier for that would be 10 (10 x 200 = 2000). If you have the option to overclock by the Multiplier, it normally goes up in .5 steps so it can be quite steep jumps.

Changing the FSB changes a lot of things as it is basically when the rest of the system runs at, hence when you change it the AGP and PCI speed also go up (they are normally 66 and 33 respectively) which can be bad as that means you're basically overclocking everything in those slots too, and lots of things tend to crap out at some point or another (on the other hand you may have very tolerant devices that don't seem to mind). The FSB speed is also the speed that your RAM runs at so when you up the FSB, you're directly increasing the speed at which the RAM runs at (although certain boards give you RAM multipliers too that allow you to change it from say 400 to 333, 266, 200 etc which means you could up the FSB and drop the Multiplier down to the 333 option which after overclocking the FSB a large amount would bring the RAM back near to 400 anyway, i.e. if you wanted to overclock your FSB to 230 from 200 and your RAM was 400 by default, that would mean it would be 460 now, but if you dropped it back to 333 initially it would now actually be 382.95 (as the 333 option on a 200Mhz FSB machine would use a RAM multipler of 1.665)).

Managed to take any of that in? heh.
    edited August 2005
    Oh, one thing I forgot is that some boards lock the AGP/PCI multiplier so that when you overclock the FSB it doesn't effect them thus decreasing the chances of anything going wrong...
  • edited August 2005
    Makes sense, but are you referring to overclocking with cpuid or bios?
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Makes sense, but are you referring to overclocking with cpuid or bios?

Er, CPUid just tells you what hardware you have and what speeds things are running at.
    edited August 2005
    This link has some great info on A64 overclocking...
    http://del.icio.us/nosferatu/amd64
  • edited August 2005
    Maybe I'm not seeing it, but I'm trying to configure motherboard monitor 5, and it lists DFI motherboards but I can't seem to find mine on there.

I'm curious, does it have a nickname, or is it just not supported?
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Maybe I'm not seeing it, but I'm trying to configure motherboard monitor 5, and it lists DFI motherboards but I can't seem to find mine on there.

I'm curious, does it have a nickname, or is it just not supported?
    Motherboard Monitor will only work on your board with customized support and settings.
  • edited August 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    Motherboard Monitor will only work on your board with customized support and settings.

Customized support and settings??? details??

Also, how do I plug a printer into my board, I just looked and realized there are no printer or serial ports.
    edited August 2005
    Usb
  • edited August 2005
    Usb

lol wow i can't believe i didn't think of that...

i guess the fact that my printer uses the other kind of wire just confused me.

thanks for the heads up.
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Customized support and settings??? details??

Also, how do I plug a printer into my board, I just looked and realized there are no printer or serial ports.

I used the info on this DFI Street thread for MBM 5. It has worked great.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6798
  • edited August 2005
    My pc is running 34-36 idle, sometimes it will go a little bit higher...

Is this normal for a 4000+ with an xp-120...?