Advice on new PC

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    thats very interesting about slots 2 and 4. Does something like that apply on the Ultra-D NF3 939 also?
    I have not looked into it. You will have to look around and test it for yourself by swapping from sets of slots and benching.
  • edited July 2005
    mtgoat wrote:
    It has been proven that slots 2 and 4 (the orange slots) perform better. The slots are numbered from the farthest from the CPU socket first as 1, 2, 3 and 4 (which corresponds to "Orange".

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2337

4dimm.jpg

Interestingly enough I posted somewhat of a similar thread over at the DFI street threads where I asked similar questions: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18710

This is what they said:

3. Which DIMMs should I use for best RAM performance?
    High voltage = yellow slots but you will need BIOS 510 or above
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2005
    You could always start with the RAM in 2 and 4, then bench it. Switch to the RAM in 1 and 3, then bench it again. The other consideration besides performance and even more important on a daily use computer is stability. Everything I read says 2 and 4 are the best with TCCD RAM.
  • edited July 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    You could always start with the RAM in 2 and 4, then bench it. Switch to the RAM in 1 and 3, then bench it again. The other consideration besides performance and even more important on a daily use computer is stability. Everything I read says 2 and 4 are the best with TCCD RAM.

even if you're overclocking?
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited July 2005
    well I have no idea what ICs are in my ram. Corsair refuses to tell people for some stupid reason.
    edited July 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    I have my TCCD in 2 and 4 (orange slots) and have had my TCCD up to 305. My system is currently overclocked to 280 24/7!
    edited July 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Yeppers!
  • edited August 2005
    Does it really matter what 120mm fan I use ontop of my xp-120?

I just got a thermaltake 120mm fan...
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Does it really matter what 120mm fan I use ontop of my xp-120?

I just got a thermaltake 120mm fan...
    Most of the difference between the XP-90 and the XP-120 is noise. I am using a low speed Panaflow and doing great. Using higher flow fans helps some but only goes so far due to back-wash and turbulence after that much air hits your motherboard.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    OK, lame question.
    Do the NF4 bios use 0.5 step multipliers?
    I have never seen a speed reported using them, but.....

4000+ is either 2.4 or 2.6 (too lazy to go look it up) 13x200.
    This makes the closest to stock speed 300x8.5, but x9 or x9.5 are very slight OCs.
  • edited August 2005
    Installed my heatsink, waiting on my case and video card to arrive.

---

Case is here.

I need a walk through with what to install first and what not, so many questions i dont even know where to start!!!
    edited August 2005
    edcentric wrote:
    OK, lame question.
    Do the NF4 bios use 0.5 step multipliers?
    I have never seen a speed reported using them, but.....

4000+ is either 2.4 or 2.6 (too lazy to go look it up) 13x200.
    This makes the closest to stock speed 300x8.5, but x9 or x9.5 are very slight OCs.
    Yes the DFI's have .5 muti's included.

(Venice core / 512KB cache)
    3000 9 x 200 = 1.8
    3200 10 x 200 = 2.0
    3500 11 x 200 = 2.2
    3800 12 x 200 = 2.4

(San Diego core / 1MB cache)
    3700 11 x 200 = 2.2
    4000 12 x 200 = 2.4
    FX55 13 x 200 = 2.6
    FX57 14 x 200 = 2.8
    edited August 2005
    Have you tried going to the manufacturer's site for your case?

Those look like standard audio wires to connect a mic and an extra speaker out. My Coolermaster had something similar.
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    whats your question? The USB connection sometimes is all in one connector, so it fits right in without any trouble. Other times, you have to put each individual pin its it's right place on the USB plugs on the motherboard. Check the manuals for the case and motherboard, and you'll be able to figure it out.
    edited August 2005
    I have to admit I don't understand either. Are we talking about USB connectors or audio?
    edited August 2005
    well I've established that it is definitely USB connectors, due to the text he wrote in on the picture in the link (Ground, VCC, USB1+, USB2+, etc)
    edited August 2005
    It looks like both in that pic.
    edited August 2005
    yeah the first pic shows Audio (I can see an R OUT) and USB, but the second is clearly USB connectors on the board.

shouldn't be hard to plug in if you rtfm
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    Installed my heatsink, waiting on my case and video card to arrive.

---

Case is here.

I need a walk through with what to install first and what not, so many questions i dont even know where to start!!!

This thread may help as well...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12960
  • edited August 2005
    Computer is up and running fine.

But it is on default bios and everything for the most part.

I'm typing to you from it right now so that is a sigh of relief.

I really would like to get maximum performance out of this....

I tried BF2 and was getting a great framerate with everything on high, but I was getting some kind of sound lag.... (connection maybe??)

Anyways if you have any tips for bios and whatnot that would be appreciated.

I'm running on the 77.50 nvidia drivers btw.
  • edited August 2005
    Also, very odd error...

When I try to disable the Windows sp2 firewall my computer gives me a blue screen that is reminiscent of the windows 98 days, and then it restarts.

It keeps restarting with the same error almost on a timer until I quickly did windows restore before it gave me an error.

Right now it's running fine but for my own reasons I'd like to disable the windows firewall..

looking for a solution to that.
    edited August 2005
    why disable the firewall? :scratch:
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited August 2005
    why disable the firewall? :scratch:
    I agree. Its a major security feature - That is if you don't already have a better Firewall (Zonealarm). In which case, install your firewall program and then disable the XP firewall.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    ...When I try to disable the Windows sp2 firewall my computer gives me a blue screen that is reminiscent of the windows 98 days, and then it restarts...I'd like to disable the windows firewall...looking for a solution to that.
    Knowing exactly what the error is might help. If it is rebooting before you have a chance to write it all down, try the following (as per MS):
    To disable restarts when the system stops unexpectedly

1. In Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
    2. Select the Advanced tab. In the Startup and Recovery box, click Settings.
    3. Clear the Automatically reboot check box.

If you cannot start your system in normal mode, you can also perform the preceding steps in safe mode.
  • edited August 2005
    Omega65 wrote:
    I agree. Its a major security feature - That is if you don't already have a better Firewall (Zonealarm). In which case, install your firewall program and then disable the XP firewall.

I ran my old rig from february until now on just AVG (after a reformat).

Prior to that reformat I used norton firewall / antivirus.

When I used norton and windows firewall I frequently had spyware, and an occasional virus.

Not once did I get a virus / or spyware when using AVG, but you should also keep in mind that I also only used firefox after that reformat.

The crashes I was getting (which are bound to come back), were all relative to the windows firewall, whenever i tried disabling it: boom crash, restart, crash, etc....

I am running okay for now, but I have a feeling I'll see a few more blue screens today.
    edited August 2005
    djstubbs wrote:
    I ran my old rig from february until now on just AVG (after a reformat).

Prior to that reformat I used norton firewall / antivirus.

When I used norton and windows firewall I frequently had spyware, and an occasional virus.

Not once did I get a virus / or spyware when using AVG, but you should also keep in mind that I also only used firefox after that reformat.
    A firewall wont stop you from getting spyware and viruses only a AV program and common sense will prevent that. A firewall prevent your PC from being hacked into and the good ones Stealth your PC so it cant be scanned and wont even be noticed on the web....

Shields UP!

A great FREE Firewall is Zonelabs Zonealarm - That is if you didn't already know about this.....
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited August 2005
    No, a great FREE firewall setup is a nice smoothwall & IPtables configuration, but I don't think that's overly helpful on a nice new shiny windows box. : )
    edited August 2005
    Go to the Shields up Site (It tests your firewall and computer security) and read what it says about Zonealarm (Shields up Main site is GRC - more security test and info here)
    edited August 2005
    edit: oook... post deleted :p