Help! - Evil File, won't let me delete it!

2»

Comments

• metomeyametomeya New
    edited August 2006
    YOu know what really worries me...................

If some spyware/adware company or virus writer founds out how limewire made those files Undeletable (I tried lliterally like 10 different ways). Then we would be in real trouble.

Like I said, only by re-installing limewire, and deleting it through there was I able to get rid of the files.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Oh, they can. They can set the file up to be executed as a service so the only thing that can delete it is the windows recovery console or a DOS boot disk (Like CalderaDOS or Dos 6.2).
  • joeclem111joeclem111 Sheffield England
    edited August 2006
    Try going in to the command prompt. cd into the directory where the file is. There is a DOS program called "more". This is used to display files page by page and the command is
    "more < <filename>" pressing return after that command line will display the file. If you put the command in wrongly, ie put the arrow in the wrong way, more usually blows the file to zero bytes, effectively overwriting it, so try "more > <filename>. This should leave the file still there but with zero bytes for its length. If it contains malware, you can't delete it because the malware is running in memory from bootup. At zero bytes in length, next time you boot up, nothing can go in memory, so you would then be able to delete it. Either way, the misuse of the more command should have destroyed it.
  • n_ver_endingn_ver_ending &quot;Cloud 9...mind's sky&quot;
    edited August 2006
    There are some clean P2P programs. They are:

Ares
    Azureus
    BearShare Lite
    BitComet
    Bittorrent
    Crazaa
    DC++
    E-Mule
    Frostwire
    Gnucleus
    iMesh
    Limewire
    Phex
    Shareaza
    Soulseek
    µTorrent
    Xolox

These have all been tested Spyware Free.

I went to download.com and checked some of these programs you listed and people had complaints because iether they were not downloading good or it took forever. Which of these do you recomend, the most?
    edited August 2006
    I am joeclem111. Read my reply. You do NOT have to download any crap, just do what I said, OK? This will fix your problem. Only come back to me if it doesn't, then I will fix again, OK?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    joeclem111 wrote:
    I am joeclem111. Read my reply. You do NOT have to download any crap, just do what I said, OK? This will fix your problem. Only come back to me if it doesn't, then I will fix again, OK?
    Nekriss had his problem solved nearly a week ago. Another member is now asking about spyware-free P2P programs so he can reduce the chances of being in the same boat.

Unless you act a little friendlier, I doubt that anyone will be coming back to you. :wave:
    edited August 2006
    Maybe I'm just a bitter ******* (Likely), but I see his tone as firm and insistent, but not terribly rude. :-/
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited August 2006
    I went to download.com and checked some of these programs you listed and people had complaints because iether they were not downloading good or it took forever. Which of these do you recomend, the most?
    I don't use any P2P programs myself, but my brother uses Ares and I havn't seen any malware installed from it. You can choose any program from the list I posted, because as I said they have all recently been tested spyware-free. :)
    edited August 2006
    If malware is your problem, then, under windows XP, use avg anti virus, zone alarm firewall. Both these are free and downloadable. For ad ware use spybot, again free. When you install it, also install teatimer, which is a part of spybot. This is a control on your system register and allows you to accept or reject new entries onto the registry. This is important as all malware and viruses will wish to be installed into the registry so they become active at boot time. Therefore, if teatimer asks you to accept a new registry entry and you have not just installed some software, it is probably a virus, so just say no. Then you have got the clue that there is something nasty on the system which you should seasrch for. Also, you might be subject to a browser hijacker, so download hijackthis and install it. Run it once a month. Then you need to guard againdst Trojans, so you can get trojanhunter. All software is free except Trojanhunter, but that one is worth paying for. Finally, you need to download rootkitrevealer. This will tell you if you have a rootkit infection. Then, when you have done all that, you may begin to realise how vulnerable windows is. The answer to that is download and install Linux ( I run Mandriva 10 official 64 bit). I have not had a system crash or a blue screen for 10 months now, since I moved to Linux. I have been infected by windows viruses but they DO NOT work on Linux. Get smart, get Linux. AND profdlp, blow it, I get £1000 a day for my consultancy services, this one was for free. When you know how to consult and help others, I will be glad to hear your thoughts, until then, F.O.
    edited August 2006
    Actually, I now hope you never come back to these forums. :) Good-bye!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    joeclem111 wrote:
    ...AND profdlp, blow it, I get £1000 a day for my consultancy services, this one was for free. When you know how to consult and help others, I will be glad to hear your thoughts, until then, F.O.
    You should spend some of that money on getting some instruction in manners.

Boorish behavior will not be tolerated here.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    joeclem111 wrote:
    I have not had a system crash or a blue screen for 10 months now, since I moved to Linux. I have been infected by windows viruses but they DO NOT work on Linux.

A £1000/day consultant should know that Linux doesn't get blue screens, it gets kernel panics. A £1000/day consultant should also know Windows viruses can't infect Linux in any way, shape, or form. Therefore, you never were infected.
    joeclem111 wrote:
    AND profdlp, blow it, I get £1000 a day for my consultancy services, this one was for free. When you know how to consult and help others, I will be glad to hear your thoughts, until then, F.O.

Are all £1000/day consultants *******s like you? Don't insult the hardworking volunteers who devote their own free time to assist people on this site. You didn't offer us any new or interesting information. You rehashed everything everybody else has said.

Door. Ass. Don't let them hit each other on the way out. That one's free too, dickhead.
  • n_ver_endingn_ver_ending &quot;Cloud 9...mind's sky&quot;
    edited August 2006
    hahahahaha...even after you said the orginal problem was already solved he still does not leave it. I will check them out some more before I make my final decision on which p2p I will add.

I need knew music and even if I go to the local shops I can't find the type I like. Most of the "world selection" stores have is not that great. This is where the p2p comes in. But since I started coming here I deleted Limewire. So now I want something new. = )
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Holy thread revival, Batman.

Holy arrogant, full-of-himself-ill-mannered, now-banned newbie, Batman!!;D