SM7 - Signup Closed!

profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
edited October 2005 in Folding@Home
:celebrate Announcing: The Return Of SM7! :celebrate
:smokin:

SM7 (Folding as Icrontic7) has been absent from the SMx lineup for far too long. That is about to change, though. :)

We are looking for one of our solid team members to give this reconfigured rig a good home and keep her Folding for Team 93. The lucky new Host will be sent a brand new case to make this rig look nice in their home.

If you meet the qualifications for hosting one of our team's SMx machines, why not sign up to be a candidate? You could be the one chosen to house this Folding rig in your home, not to mention having that extra Folding sig to show off your status as one of Team 93's elite group of SMx Hosts.

The Hosting Requirements and Selection Process are available on the team page. Please look them over carefully before signing up.

If you feel you meet the requirements and are willing to sign the contract, throw your name in the hat by posting in this thread and giving us some details about your hosting conditions (connection, environment, etc.) and your computer ability that would mark you as a suitable host for this special SMx Folding machine.

Here's the lowdown on the hardware:
SM7 Specs:

Motherboard: ECS K7S5A v1.0
CPU: Athlon XP 2000+
Hard Drive: To Be Determined
Display Adapter: ATi 3D Rage PRO Turbo AGP
Memory: 384MB DDR333
NIC: Onboard SiS 900 Fast Ethernet
Case: A Brand-New Case & PSU will be shipped directly to the new host

If you happened upon this thread by accident and wonder what it is exactly that Folding hopes to accomplish, check out Join Folding for a quick summary of the F@H Project. Like many of us here, you could put your spare computer cycles to work for the betterment of mankind. Won't you consider joining us? :wave:

Sign up soon. We will give you plenty of notice before the signup period is closed and the SMx Committee vote is taken.

As per our new policy, there are no geographical limitations on hosting eligibilty.

Check out The SMx Project - Reloaded! thread for more information on the project in general. If you have any parts you could spare for future SMx rigs, go here and have a look at what we need. HD's, and Memory (PC1600 or greater) are in extremely short supply. To keep this project going we need your help.

Good luck, everybody! :thumbsup::fold:

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited September 2005
    I Want It....mwahahaha

/me runs and hides in a time capsule for two years until he is 18
  • maximusbadmaximusbad The Burg
    edited September 2005
    Throw my name in the hat. I have an extra port on my router. Will be up 24/7 and also i have my A+ Certification. Will check on daily to see if it's running alright.
  • DoctorGeo2008DoctorGeo2008 Flint, MI
    edited September 2005
    I believe I would like to take another shot at being a host! :D
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Can I trade in SM4 for this rig? :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2005
    Kwitko wrote:
    Can I trade in SM4 for this rig? :)
    When it's over 82% of the way to the 100K Plaque? :confused:

Not likely, Bluto. Give someone else a chance. ;D

Two fine candidates so far:

:fold: maximusbad
    :fold: DoctorGeo2008

Nightwolf, I'm sure that with your enthusiasm your day will come. We'll probably be shipping Opteron rigs by then. :D
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    profdlp wrote:
    When it's over 82% of the way to the 100K Plaque? :confused:

Correction, 82.648%. Anyway, I'd never give up SM4. She may not be the fastest, or the prettiest, but she's been with me every step of the way. And I love her, in a purely man-computer kind of way.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    The original SM-7's owner let the whole team down. He was an abberation in an otherwise honorable hosting club.

PLEASE THROW YOUR NAME IN THE HAT FOR HOSTING. NOT ONLY WOULD YOU HAVE THE HONOR OF REPRESENTING THE TEAM, YOU WOULD HAVE THE PRIVILEGE OF RESTORING SM-7 TO IT'S RIGHTFUL PLACE IN AN OUTSTANDING LINEUP OF DONATED RIGS AND PROUD CUSTODIANS. WHAT WE DO HERE WITH THE SMX PROJECT IS PRECEDENT SETTING. TO OUR KNOWLEDGE, WE WERE THE FIRST DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING TO SHOW THE SPIRIT AND COMRADERY TO POOL OUR RESOURCES, MANIFESTING ITSELF IN TEAM-OWNED, DONATED COMPUTERS.

:thumbsup:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    I'm all in! As you can see from the short time I have been here I have jump on board full boat steaming, I just moved into a new house here in California and have set up a office dedicated to server and run computers. I am very knowledgeable of computers as I own my own computer repair company. I have a Fiber connection at home, and my office stays a constant 76 degrees.

I am and always will be dedicated to team 93, and anything I can do to get us back to the top 10! I am all over it; I am even offering a 15% discount on all computers builds for clients who will fold for team 93.  If the team is willing to allow me to have the honor to host #7 “the funny thing is 7 is my lucky number” I would be honored.
  • GarethGareth Wales
    edited September 2005
    I'll throw my name in the hat. It's about time the SMx project had a presance in Wales.

Gareth

PS secure home environment & DSL connection.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Who was the original owner?
    edited September 2005
    I think Icrontic7? Isn't that what it says above, or is that just a name it was folding under?
  • GarethGareth Wales
    edited September 2005
    :scratch:
    I think Icrontic7
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    This system was hosted by Wahoogie. We've had very few (luck for us) SMx systems get "stolen". There are some issues that should not be discussed in public but Wahoogie has declined to return the system. We've tried very hard to get this system back but we have failed... but the SMx project will go on and SM7 will rise up and burn up the boards again....
    edited September 2005
    what kind of punks steal a SMX system... Dude that mnakes me very mad, Hey hosts e-mail me abotu this I think i could come up with a soultion that might work so thieves won't steal your stations.....
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    Well anyway, that's the background.

The HERE AND NOW is that we have a knockout team, an innovative SMx program that works damned well, and a fellowship of loyal, unselfish hosts. That's the bottom line, my friends.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2005
    On a side note, sledgehammer: The rig wasn't actually stolen as in "breaking and entering" type of theft. We've had, in the past, a handful of SMx hosts that have gone rogue and just never returned the computers that were given to them in trust. This was before we had hosting contracts in place. In fact, hosting contracts were instituted exactly because of these rare scenarios.
    edited September 2005
    good to know! It just sucks that people do things like that.

On a better note I have a dual pent 450 with abpout a gig of ram, but it wieghts a ton., I could donate the parts or the system as a SMX rig.... I got windows XP on it...and it has about 14 gigs of hd scuzzy style :) but the prime object in it is the 3dLabs 256 Graphics card :)
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited September 2005
    I'll throw my name in the hat, plenty of room for another PC in my humble abode...

details: 8Mb DSL, have 5 Pcs in the flat already (all folding of course) and I'm a system / network admin so I can solve any problems that crop up.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited September 2005
    good to know! It just sucks that people do things like that.

On a better note I have a dual pent 450 with abpout a gig of ram, but it wieghts a ton., I could donate the parts or the system as a SMX rig.... I got windows XP on it...and it has about 14 gigs of hd scuzzy style :) but the prime object in it is the 3dLabs 256 Graphics card :)

You could run F@H on that under my username! :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    QCH2002 wrote:
    This system was hosted by Wahoogie. We've had very few (luck for us) SMx systems get "stolen". There are some issues that should not be discussed in public but Wahoogie has declined to return the system. We've tried very hard to get this system back but we have failed... but the SMx project will go on and SM7 will rise up and burn up the boards again....

Name and shame. Although to be honest, I think the SMX project should be a little more... selective...
    edited September 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    Name and shame. Although to be honest, I think the SMX project should be a little more... selective...
    Wahoogie was chosen as a host over three years ago. The selection process has undergone quite a few changes since then.

Your point is well taken, though. In general, there has been a move away from picking someone based mostly on their rah-rah attitude in the forums, to one of looking at the larger picture. That's not to say that enthusiasm for the project isn't a big plus, though.

The main things we look for are these:
    (in no particular order)

:fold: Consistent production on a personal basis. Consistency does not necessarily mean a large point total. The little guy with one computer who keeps it cranking out the WU's on a regular basis gets as much credit as the heavyweight Folder with a massive farm.
    :fold: Participation in the forums. The more we see a member being involved in the day-to-day happenings of Team 93, the more likely we are to view them as someone who isn't going to just up and disappear someday.
    :fold: Technical know-how. We try to help all the hosts in any way we can, but the person who is judged capable of working out problems on their own in a timely manner is naturally going to have a leg up in the voting. Of course, hardware problems are the responsibilty of the SMx Project, not the host. We'll do our best to give you the tools, all we ask is that the host be capable of taking it from there.
    :fold: Maturity and a stable life situation. Maturity does not mean "old" (otherwise I'd probably have a bunch of rigs :vimp: ). Many eighteen-year-olds are more mature in many respects than someone twice their age. As for stability, while it was (sadly) not always obvious until after the fact, the few hosts who have gone AWOL on us for the most part seemed to have one thing in common: They were all living in a somewhat tenuous situation, ran into problems, then pretty much just dropped out of sight.

On a positive note, though we've lost a few rigs here and there, we've had more rigs returned to the team by honorable hosts who simply no longer had the time to care for them than we've lost to perfidious behavior. We all undergo changes in our lives from time to time. The majority of those who have had life's circumstances affect their ability to be a dedicated host have done the right thing - and have earned the gratitude of the entire team. :)
    edited September 2005
    Nice job Prof.... :thumbsup:
    edited September 2005
    Five fine candidates so far:

:fold: DEICIST
    :fold: DOCTORGEO2008
    :fold: GARETH
    :fold: MAXIMUSBAD
    :fold: SLEDGEHAMMER70

(Upper case for my database.... sorry)
    edited September 2005
    QCH2002 wrote:
    ...Upper case for my database...
    He's a poet and he don't know it! :D
    edited September 2005
    Na I think he tried and got denied :)
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited September 2005
    I'd like another go. I would really like to be associated with an old Icrontic rig as I joined up in the days of Icrontic :)

I have a small hard drive already, and don't worry about shipping a case and PSU out to the UK. My donation to the team would include a cheapo case and I have a nice Antec PSU gathering dust.

Cheers

Crypto :D
    edited September 2005
    Six fine candidates... any one else?

:fold: CRYPTO
    :fold: DEICIST
    :fold: DOCTORGEO2008
    :fold: GARETH
    :fold: MAXIMUSBAD
    :fold: SLEDGEHAMMER70
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2005
    Crypto wrote:
    I'd like another go. I would really like to be associated with an old Icrontic rig as I joined up in the days of Icrontic :)

I have a small hard drive already, and don't worry about shipping a case and PSU out to the UK. My donation to the team would include a cheapo case and I have a nice Antec PSU gathering dust.

Cheers

Crypto :D

Sweet avatar, can ya get those cogs red?
    edited September 2005
    Erm, a little issue with the selection process here, not meaning to step on anyones toes but...

Sledgehammer70 has been a member of Short-Media for only half a month and joined Team93 a whopping 11 days ago... what happened to the "long standing and reputable member of the community with a history of dedication to the folding team"?
    edited September 2005
    We, the SMx Committee Members, take these things into consideration when we vote. We also note how often a member sign up to host. 2 years ago, SMx rigs were not given out very often and you really needed to be a long term member to get a rig. We have given out more rigs in the past 9 months than the last 2 years... The odds of getting one has increased.

:thumbsup: