A bunch of parts...Now what?

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Look in your mobo's manual and reset the cmos jumper with the power unplugged from the wall. That should reset all the bios options to their default settings, which hopefully enables the keyboard (I assume you have a USB keyboard) upon bootup.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    There will be an option in the BIOS to set USB keyboard and USB mouse to operating system or BIOS. You want BIOS, so that in the future your USB input will work before you get to Windows. Your manual should show exactly where and exactly what this option is called in the BIOS.
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited January 2006
    Yes, its a usb KB. Thanks for the cmos tip, I'll try it when I get off work...
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    An alternative is to simply plug in an old PS2 keyboard just to get into BIOS.
  • edited January 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    An alternative is to simply plug in an old PS2 keyboard just to get into BIOS.

If he has one handy.:)
    edited January 2006
    I borrowed a ps2 KB and it worked. Got the bios fixed.

One more question: I installed an AMD 64bit 3700+ cpu and windows doesn't seem to boot any faster. Is that normal? Wheres the speed?
    edited January 2006
    Yes, the old style keyboard and mouse connector - PS2.
    edited January 2006

One more question: I installed an AMD 64bit 3700+ cpu and windows doesn't seem to boot any faster. Is that normal? Wheres the speed?

The boot times are more dependent upon the hard disk access speed and amount of RAM. The CPU speed comes in handy in gaming, folding, rendering, etc.
    edited January 2006
    Good! Now, get to know your BIOS well and you'll find some tweaks that may speed everything up a bit.
    edited January 2006
    I have a gig of ram. Would a newer HD have a quicker access speed?
    edited January 2006
    I have a gig of ram. Would a newer HD have a quicker access speed?

Maybe... it depends on how slow your current drive is. Do you know the model?

Another thing to consider is how clean your install of Windows is. If a lot of programs are trying to load at boot time, it slows things down considerably.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2006
    Have a look under device manager for IDE controller properties. Make sure it is set to DMA. I built one and the HDD had set to PIO mode and it was a lot slower until I changed it.
    edited January 2006
    How do I get to the start menu to disable programs that start on re-boot?
    edited January 2006
    Start button -> Run -> type "msconfig" -> select OK -> select STARTUP. Remove checkboxes from all items that you don't want to automatically start up. Ensure that you know what they are before unselecting. If unsure, do an internet search with the exact wording found and you find the answer.

Another way is to do this is download and install RegCleaner. It has several registry cleaning/program removal functions, including startup program changing. It's one of my favorite Windows maintenance tools.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Are all the drives now being detected properly in the BIOS? :)

EDIT---yossarian: I merged a similar thread of yours on this same subject. It will help everyone by having all the steps you've tried in one thread. :thumbsup:
    edited January 2006
    Got it. Works great.

Another problem: My CD drives are not being seen in My Computer and do not work when trying to run software. This just started last night. Whats going on? Also my USB connections on top of the case do not work and I have connected them to the USB spots on the MB. Any suggestions?
    edited January 2006
    Got it. Works great.

Another problem: My CD drives are not being seen in My Computer and do not work when trying to run software. This just started last night. Whats going on? Also my USB connections on top of the case do not work and I have connected them to the USB spots on the MB. Any suggestions?

Your motherboard chipset drivers may not be working properly. Give them an uninstall/reinstall and see if that works.
    edited January 2006
    I dont think so, the CDROm drives arent being detected...
    edited January 2006
    Um, how do I do that? I've tried removing them and plugging back in...

OK I fixed the USB problem but the CDROM drives are still invisible....

How do I rest the mobo chipset drivers?
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited January 2006
    If the drives aren't being detected in the BIOS it's nothing to do with your chipset drivers, it's something to do with how the drives are configured or connected to the motherboard. First off I need to know if you hard drives are IDE or SATA (I don't think you ever answered that, apologies if you did) as the instructions I'm going to give you will be different for each case. I realise that your problem is with your CD drives, but if your hard drive(s) are IDE then how your CD drives are connected will be different than if your hard drive(s) are SATA. so, are your hard drive(s) SATA or IDE?
    edited January 2006
    You might want to double-check the BIOS to make sure the drives are being recognized there. As deicist said, the chipset drivers could only have something to do with it if it's Windows that doesn't recognize them, if the BIOS does.
    edited January 2006
    The HDDs are IDE and are connected to the primary IDE spot on the MB. The CDROM drives are both on the same cable (secondary port on MB), with the Master at the end and the other off the middle. In BIOS, the 2 HDDs are recognized in the general page as master and slave, but there is "none" showing for the secondary master/slave.

On a side note, is there an advantage to SATA drives?
    edited January 2006
    Are all the IDE Channels enabled in the BIOS and set to "Auto"?
    edited January 2006
    Yes they are.
    edited January 2006
    Just for now, disconnect the Secondary Slave drive. This should leave you with only one optical drive on the Secondary IDE Channel, operating as the Master drive. Then see if the drive is detected properly.

If that doesn't work, disconnect that drive and hook the other optical drive up as the Secondary Master and try again.
    edited January 2006
    OK. I unplugged the slave CDROM and BIOS is seeing the master.
    edited January 2006
    Are the jumpers definately set correctly on the CD Drives? Just to check, there's little plastic jumpers on the back of the drives which need to be to set to 'Master' and 'Slave' appropriately.
    edited January 2006
    Good. :)

Either the Slave drive is misjumpered, defective, or your cable is bad.

For the time being, I would try booting from your WinXP CD and see if you can get your installation going.

Good Luck! :cheers:
    edited January 2006
    We're jammin now. The 2nd drive was indeed misjumpered so i moved it to slave and it works Cool.

One last issue is with my USB hub. Its will power up things that get inserted but the computer will not recognize it. I have an external HD, an Ipod etc that will work if plugged directly into the computer but not thru the hub. It did work with the old machine.
    edited January 2006
    Try connecting the hub to a different port, like one of the ones actually mounted on the motherboard rather than connected via an internal cable, sounds like the port you have the hub connected to could be faulty, rather than the hub itself.