A bunch of parts...Now what?

13»

Comments

• yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited January 2006
    I've tried every port on the computer and it still wont work.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Did you get Windows installed yet? If not, don't waste your time on the extra USB stuff until you have done that.
    edited January 2006
    No, windows is installed and everything is working pretty well. This USB thing is one of the last issues.....
    edited January 2006
    Does the USB hub have its own power supply?
    edited January 2006
    Yes it does. I unplugged and plugged it back in, still no joy. When i do connect it it to the computer, it is recognized as a "USB Device" not a "Root Hub" like on the old machine. Its plug and play so didnt come with a driver.
    edited January 2006
    What Service Pack do you have installed? Without at least SP1 you will have problems with any high speed (USB 2.0) devices.
    edited January 2006
    SP2 is installed.
    edited January 2006
    Boot in Safe Mode, then uninstall the device recognized as a "USB Device", reboot and see if Windows has more luck figuring it out this time.

Have you installed your chipset drivers yet?
    edited January 2006
    Everything seems to be working except the USB hub. I haven't done the chipset drivers yet. Why are we doing that agian? I'll try the safe mode trick.....
    edited January 2006
    Everything seems to be working except the USB hub. I haven't done the chipset drivers yet. Why are we doing that again? I'll try the safe mode trick.....
    Windows uses WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) drivers by default. They are chosen for (purported) stability, not performance. The company which actually made the chipset for your MB will almost always provide better drivers. It usually takes Microsoft ages to get around to declaring the updated drivers from the chipset manufacturer "WHQL Certified".

That and the Safe Mode trick are both well worth trying.
    edited January 2006
    Can I get those drivers at the ASUS (thats who makes the MB)website?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    yes

go to support\motherboards\your motherboard name and model\downloads...

ensure you select the exact motherboard model and operating system
    edited January 2006
    I tested the USB hub on another machine and it didnt work there either. It got fried somehow.

My IPod is acting up too and that is a complete mystery as it worked when I first fired up the new machine.

Anyway, other than that. All seems to be well with the new build. Thanks for all the help!