First Annual Short-Media LAN - VOTE!!

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Gaming
When would you like to see the first annual short-media LAN event to be held in Detroit, Michigan, at the posh and illustrious sarcnet industries corporate headquarters?

Lodging for some people, who are willing to sleep on the floor/couch/available surface can be provided (on a first-come first-serve basis) by me, primesuspect, at my house. More lodging can be had at my offices under the same circumstances (available planar surface)

There are also many inexpensive hotels in the area, one of which provides free WiFi.

I will provide the following at my office:

Patch cable
Lan hookup
Chair and a table
Water (both cold and hot)
Hot Tea
Coffee (only gourmet - we serve only Gevalia!)
Painkillers (I have bulk packs of advil and tylenol)
Gated, Lit, and SECURE parking lot with remote control gate opener access.

The facilities are non-smoking, but there IS a smoking room and there is also outdoor smoking. As we do host web servers and mail servers on premesis, you can understand our policy.

We are shooting for a weekend gig. You must provide your own food/other beverages and sleep accoutrements. I am putting up a poll to vote on one of six upcoming weekends to start this discussion off.

See also this thread for more info.

Comments

• mondimondi Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    even though I didnt reply to the other thread ....

I'd really like to make it ... unfortunately that means flying across the entire US.... so im gonna vote for Dec 5th... more time==cheaper fare.

also it seems from a quick scan throught the other thread that shorty might be there later on ... shorty is teh mansechsy ... must meet :)

er ..

yes, well

anyway - Dec 5th
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I'll wait on my vote, seeing as I live approx 20 mins from primes place :)
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    how do you ship a computer/monior on an airline?? I've only flown once before, very interested in coming...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I think the monitor would be the hard part. You could baggage check the computer, but it seems like it might be a bit risky. I would say it would be better to fedex your rig and monitor to my office beforehand and "meet" them there. But shipping a monitor + computer can be like $50 and up depending on how fast you want to get it there.
    edited October 2003
    well just to be safe I could ship my crappier 15" monitor, max res is 1024x768 but I wouldnt wanna damage my rather newish 17" good screen.. but mailing my rig sounds scary!! haha

I havent traveled like at all, what are some other lucrative means of transportation from my immediate area (major cities being, Manchester, NH and Boston, MA) to Detroit? Train? Bus?
    edited October 2003
    I keep hearing that Greyhound is like, super cheap. There is a greyhound terminal in downtown Detroit that is very close to my office. I would be happy to pick up anybody who goes greyhound and cart them around.
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    I keep hearing that Greyhound is like, super cheap. There is a greyhound terminal in downtown Detroit that is very close to my office. I would be happy to pick up anybody who goes greyhound and cart them around.

Do you have any idea like how long it takes by bus? theres a bus terminal right here in my city that has lots of different services! Would I be allowed/would it be safe to bring my rig with me that way??

//omgz camman gets excited at the prospect of seeing teh l33t sarcnet officez
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited October 2003
    Cripes...the coin you'd spend on shipping a crappy monitor you could practically buy a 17" here for about 80-100$ Might be something to think about...either that or you could borrow one of mine...I live 20 minutes away and have a few extras layin around:)
  • mondimondi
    thanks random deity for 1337'ish lappy
    Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    thanks random deity for 1337'ish lappy
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, gaming lappys are TEH PWN for this kind of thing.

Second Best: SFF PCs with high end vid cards in them.

hahaha.. Camman thinks my office is 1337.

Pseudo? Thrax? McBain? Tell him... Let him go easy, guys.
    edited October 2003
    hmmm , maybe I'll have to look into buying a cheap mini PC setup and just gank my 9700pro out of my main rig for that weekend

I'd have to bring the 'ol video camera and do up a shortmedia LAN vid. for my site, w00t :D omgz, gettin excited just thinkin about it, such a nerd I am
    edited October 2003
    Greyhound says that tickets with 7-day advance purchase would be around $138 round trip.
    edited October 2003
    wow, not a bad deal at all. looking at microPCs now....this one doesnt look bad at all for the price...but of course I'd have to throw my 9700 in it

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=151404
    edited October 2003
    Christ dude, if you're gonna buy a new SFF just for this, spend $20 more and get a good one like an MSI MEGA or a Shuttle with the nForce.
    edited October 2003
    i have an extra Gigabyte G7VAXP mobo that I got off a friend for $35, I could probably just buy a 1700 or something cheap, throw that in a mid tower and bring it along on a bus, would be cheaper and probably a better system.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    just a quick question ... since it doesnt seem to have been adressed yet.. what games are we looking at here? ... now im sure we all have/will "obtain" all thats is necessary' but I for one would like to get a little practice in ....
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    I'm right along with the rest of you getting excited about this, if I do make it I will be like "omfg teh 1st sm lan is teh 1337 sp0t yo" haha and you will all get to hear my sexy southern accent to :buck: haha, if I do get to come up, I will be driving the new stang ( oh yea baby w00t ) but I might look into the greyhound thing for sure, 13+ hours of driving is like tooo tiring for me, but it's worth it for this ho-down of teh geeks.

I'm voting for November 28th myself, that will give me enough time to save up some money and get settled down into my new job before I ask for a day off.

*Clutch thinks of how exciting this is going to be*

EDIT: You better get some practice in before good ol' Clutch lays down some pwnage, haha
    edited October 2003
    Well, I imagine UT will fit in there somewhere. I wouldn't mind playing a bit of JKII either.
    edited October 2003
    hahahah omg.. "1st Annual Short-Media Hoedown of the Geeks!"

Clutch wins the prize for that one.
    edited October 2003
    yeah, the greyhound trip is crazy looking, like over a DAY for me, yikes! I'll have to see if I can get a friend of mine to come along with me...he's a big computer nerd too, that's okay, right? We'll make him a shortmedia-ite by the end of the LAN :D .... I have to find out when my winter break starts at school, I have over a month off, but, I think it might not start till December 18th, oh noes!! :(

edit: just mapquested it from my house to sarcnet and its saying only 12-13hrs (760miles) , I wouldnt mind driving if I had someone with me, I would just be scared that I'd get lost! I've never traveled that far driving, this friend of mine is actually from Michigan too! he used to live in L'ance I think is the name, dunno if it's anywhere near Detroit, probably not I'm guessing cause it was a small city from what he tells me, Michigan is quite a bit bigger than NH so I cant judge stuff like that ;) but that still might give me leverage convincing him to come with me!
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    hahahah omg.. "1st Annual Short-Media Hoedown of the Geeks!"

actually i think it was "ho"-down of teh geeks... which has entirely different connotations :)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    Yea it is looking at over a day for me also on the greyhound, but the price is $69 a ticket for the advance purchase, but over a day is right, about 13+ hours to drive from North Carolina to Detroit. As soon as we get a set date and all I will talk to the parents about me going up with my friend, he is a nerd like me also.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Need to know a date... if I can.. Il fly out for the weekend :D
    edited October 2003
    omgz teh shorty be gracing us with his royal british presence!
  • edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    Yeah, gaming lappys are TEH PWN for this kind of thing.

Second Best: SFF PCs with high end vid cards in them.

hahaha.. Camman thinks my office is 1337.

Pseudo? Thrax? McBain? Tell him... Let him go easy, guys.

Swanky place! Love the paneling in the SM server's room... Reminds me of my old NY bedroom!

PS: Being as I live 45 minutes away, I'll just go any day that’s best for those who don’t have the privilege of living so close to SM's home. :p
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    omgz teh shorty be gracing us with his royal british presence!
    Think I would turn down the chance to sleep on the floor in teh mighty Sarcnet office??!! :eek:

No promises, it will depend on work.. but I can try :D

Prices aren't bad :D

This is one example!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Teh keebler is in :cool: I will do my absolute best to make it work whatever weekend is chosen.

//edit: MM better get his arse along as well then... :)
  • astroworpastroworp Northridge, CA
    edited October 2003
    awwwww man... i wish i could come... but that's way too far for me to travel from northern california...plus i just don't have the money for it.

too bad, i'd love to hang out with you guys. i hope it works out for you guys and you all travel safely and have a good time!
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    i must talk to peeps in the NY area...where art though??? TD_isles...can i bum a ride off u???

//edit

obviusly i will pay for some of the gas seeing how i, myself cannot drive
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Shorty said
    Need to know a date... if I can.. Il fly out for the weekend :D

Dont count me out totally either. Brian, can you get crappy case, psu and monitor if i bring the cpu, memory and 9700?