First Annual Short-Media LAN - VOTE!!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Realize that it doesn't snow in Michigan until, oh, late January. Then it snows through March and early April.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    Ah. Well, in that case, I'd like to go, but my parents won't let me. Like I said tho, if we have one next summer, they may be more open to it...
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Just curious Geeky...

Are you assuming it never ever snows in Germany ;D

Duh! Fine of piece of engineering.. which has tremendous resiliance to snow... you big girls blouse :p

Shame your folks won't let you go though :(
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Clutch said
    On the route to Detroit, I have to run through Ohio, if anyone near or around would like to meet up to drive together.

Woosie! (JK)

An route, Trondheim-Oslo-London-New York-Detroit. Piece of pai, 18 hour trip in total. More Jet lag than a cat full of whisky but what the hell.
    edited October 2003
    Soon as we an organised date... if you book and do go Mack.. Il take the same plane out of heathrow :D
    edited October 2003
    Shorty said
    Soon as we an organised date... if you book and do go Mack.. Il take the same plane out of heathrow :D

I´ll bring a lappy and we should run a few games of CS with the map 747 in a Wifi/Lan in the plane. :eek2:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Mackanz said
    Shorty said

I´ll bring a lappy and we should run a few games of CS with the map 747 in a Wifi/Lan in the plane. :eek2:

Lol, 1 on 1 counter-strike? Reminds me of the days me and a mate used to try and play 1 vs 1 Classic Team Fortress. Didn't quite work for some reason.........

What is the best method to get to heathrow btw?
    I have a feeling this would cost me hell of a lot more due to not driving yet........

NS
    edited October 2003
    NightShade737 said
    Mackanz said
    Shorty said

Lol, 1 on 1 counter-strike? Reminds me of the days me and a mate used to try and play 1 vs 1 Classic Team Fortress. Didn't quite work for some reason.........

What is the best method to get to heathrow btw?
    I have a feeling this would cost me hell of a lot more due to not driving yet........

NS

Bots! Even if they are useless, playing 747 in an actual 747 would be the same as the "mile high club"!
    edited October 2003
    Mackanz said
    Shorty said

Terrorists! You're playing terror simulators! TO SIMULATE TERROR. TERRIFY THE PEOPLE WITH YOUR TERRIBLE WAYS.
    edited October 2003
    Just make sure you play a game that has the phrase "OH MY GOD, THERE IS A BOMB ON THE PLANE!" really loudly. That should be good for a laugh....

NS
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    Clutch I am in Columbus. If its somewhat on your way you can stop in. Would you happen to go across on I-70 and then up I-75? If so then I am right off 70 and my rents live in town on 75.
    edited October 2003
    Shorty, yeah... it's german, but I don't want it getting covered in salt. Poor thing might rust. I just can't risk letting that happen to it :D
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited October 2003
    So when will we have a date, I need to start nagging my dad.
    edited October 2003
    Look, guys...If you're having trouble getting your parents to ok the journey, how about you show them this thread? Let them sign up, talk to us, let them know that other people right around the age of almost everyone going are also going.

I'm fairly young, and my parents OKed it because they know I'm a contributor to and fan of this website. They know I'm published here, and this is a respected venue. They're letting me come down to visit prime again, this time with a ton more people that I've always wanted to meet.

The best way to work with a parent's fear is to let them know that other people are looking out for their kid, and to let them know there are plenty of like-minded people of your age-group, as well as both older and younger also attending. Don't beg to go, show them this thread and let them talk to us.

If the parents need it, hell, I'll be glad to throw together a bio about myself. Age, name, what I do, where I live, why I'm going...And I suggest everyone do the same. Let parents see that we're real people, with real, ordinary lives just wanting to get together in person.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    ooh, yeah, definally tell them the truth, i told my parents why i wanted to go and who i will be meeting with, and what i will be doing. They OKed it on the spot.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Plus it helps that you are only 15 miles away Thrax. ;) Some parents are gonna have no problem letting their kids go a few miles, but going across the country is another story.
    edited October 2003
    Sure, it does help. But I've gone a LOT farther than 15 miles (Six states), just by telling my parents the truth and establishing a case for myself.

I went so far as to present a who/what/when/where/why/how case, typed, legal-style presentation bound in a brand-new binder. Style points, gentlemen, it helps. It does.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    I will try to type up some sort of paper on why my parents should let me go across country to meet some friends, it should work ( wish me good luck )

I just really hope that they agree, also Prime, since you are the main man in charge, if they have any questions could they call you?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    Plus it helps that you are only 15 miles away Thrax. ;) Some parents are gonna have no problem letting their kids go a few miles, but going across the country is another story.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking.
    Thrax said
    I went so far as to present a who/what/when/where/why/how case, typed, legal-style presentation bound in a brand-new binder. Style points, gentlemen, it helps. It does.

They prolly said yes to stop the long babbling.;) j/k Thrax

Mine wont care....cause they might not even know.;D I am at college and out of the house.

But really, I dont know if I would be allowed a year ago or even 5 months ago when I was still in HS. Not sure I would if I was a parent esp considering the distance Geeky would have to travel.
    edited October 2003
    Oh, it's only 1800-odd miles ;D;D

I'll wait until next time. Besides, I want to drive (so I can go thru Nevada and see if this thing will, in fact, do 155MPH ;D) so... I'm sure there will be another one (unless Shorty kills the dev server again or something... ;D)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Any parent who wants to contact me is welcome to. PM me for personal contact information.

But, before all these details, we need to work out the basics:

Namely, when are we going to do this thing?

The way I am seeing it, is no matter what, some people are not going to be able to make it whichever weekend we have it. Since we have international attendees, perhaps we should work our schedule around theirs, and then work backwards into a date/time that will maximize the number of people who can attend.

So, with that, I ask:

Mackanz and Shorty, do you plan on attending?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    One trick for young folks, travel in groups of two or more, split travel costs including driving time and gas costs. If you and your friend both say nothing happened, more likely to be seen as very REAL.

Just too bad Prime does not have a spare server to VNC into.... VLAN anyone??? (Virtual LAN, IPV6 style) :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Prime, 1337 SARCNET, or 1337 OFFICE??? Brains and FOLKS make for 1337! Now, take the ia in your name, reverse them, and you are one! For real! Tis the staff thats 1337! :)

John.
    edited October 2003
    Ageek said
    Prime, 1337 SARCNET, or 1337 OFFICE??? Brains and FOLKS make for 1337! Now, take the ia in your name, reverse them, and you are one! For real! Tis the staff thats 1337! :)

John.

Out of all of your posts ever, that one definately made the least sence :rolleyes2

NS
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited October 2003
    Yeah as mmonnin said I will prolly go if it is on a weekend that we can both attend. The date isn't really too big of a concern with me I guess. Just as long as mmonnin can make it I prolly can since I'd be riding with him.

Oh and I don't remember anyone really saying what games we are going to be playing. I mean the date and stuff is important and all but a Lan Party has to have games right? How else am I going to show off me 1337 5|<1llz? I think Battlefield 1942 would be a good choice. You can have up to 64 people in a single game and it is a ton of fun. I'd vote classic BF1942 also since people might not have the expansions or anything. Gotta keep it the same and what not. Age of Empires II might also be a good one. You can get 8 people in a game for that one plus it is just plain cool. I also have a CD so that it could be installed on computers.

Well that's enough rambling for now.

Norge
    edited October 2003
    You HAVE to play Operation Flashpoint. Supports up to 256 players at once. Boats, Planes, Tanks, Cars, Choppers, buildings, HUGE islands, Realtime, and realism.

NS
    edited October 2003
    NightShade737 said
    You HAVE to play Operation Flashpoint. Supports up to 256 players at once. Boats, Planes, Tanks, Cars, Choppers, buildings, HUGE islands, Realtime, and realism.

NS
    Now THAT is a good idea.

Anyone for OF & some BF1942 as well?
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    Works for me guys, All though I don't have either of those games, I can pick me up a copy to get some practice in on and pwn j00 all, muhahahah

But prime is right, we need to see about a date before we do anything, that way we can get all the other stuff in place.

oh and my best friend is coming to, we are in the process of building his new computer now, so once he gets the internet he is going to join the forums so he can get a feel of how things are around here and get to know some of you.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Well since you said save the comments for this thread, prime, I voted for "After Holidays" in the other thread, since if it's January/Feb sometime, I might be able to go...
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited October 2003
    I've never played Operation Flashpoint before but it sounds kinda cool. I don't have it though so I wouldn't be able to play.

Norge