edited October 2003
    General Keebler said
    On second thought... the dev server and MM in the same room? :eek2:

;D

We can lock the door :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Cam:

worry not, your site is hosted miles away in a datacenter. MediaMan and/or Thrax will be nowhere NEAR your site.... ;)
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Hrm. Costs $275 roundtrip from PR. I'll have to do some heavy negotiating with my parents and start a "Get Black Hawk to detroit fund".
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    If you do this again, I'd suggest trying to do it in late-July/early August. Since most of us are still in high school/college, I think that would make it much easier to get there. As for this one, I can ask my parents, but I doubt they'll go for it :rolleyes:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Oh yeah, this would be impossible for me anyway due to Uni, as I have only just started and missing time would be bad...

NS
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I priced out transportation for bus & train:

By bus,

Roundtrip - $244.10
    Travel time to Detroit - 14 hours each way /28 hours total

By train,

Only to Windsor, would have to ferry or something to Detroit.
    Roundtrip - $218.28
    Travel time - 10 hours each way /20 hours total.

Not a big price fluctuation but the difference in travel time is huge, however the train only brings me to Windsor and I would have to find a way to Detroit and back.

Not sure if it was mentioned but will I have a problem transporting my computer and monitor over the border?
    edited October 2003
    Travel to and from Detroit from Windsor is very painless. It requires two forms of ID and the border guards are very easygoing. You can tell them "I'm going to a computer gaming event" and they'll say "whatever."

If you need to be picked up from and driven back to Windsor, that's not a problem.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    yeah i been to windsor my friend cousin's house, we brought our computer, and the guard just asked what iot was for. we just told them to play games. No problems.
  • edited October 2003
    Prime: YPGMed.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    Got a question for you Prime. Since this is going to be a weekend deal, how would the days be planned out? Like would everyone meet up on Friday and leave like on sunday? I just needed to know because of work, I'm still looking for a cheap way to get there, I'm going to look around for greyhound info or flying, I dont know for sure though. It would cost like a little over $300 to fly roundtrip, but I think me and my friend will drive.

Oh and one more thing, where is the nearest golf course? I would love to get some golf in, anyone else play golf? I got extra set of clubs :thumbsup:
    edited October 2003
    I don't know how golf is going to be with 20-30 degree temperatures and the possibility of wet, sloppy snow, but one thing that I can tell you now that you've brought it up:

People from different climates, BRING WARM CLOTHING. Detroit winters are no joke, subzero temperatures are rare but not unheard of, but the wet sloppy snow is a given.

I have no idea about the itenerary or games yet. Perhaps we should create 2 committees: Logistics committee and event committee. Logistics would be scheduling, directions, getting people to and from here, sleeping arrangments, etc. and event committee would be game schedule, special events (tournaments?) planning, daily calendar, etc.

So, if I head up the logistics committee, who is gonna take on the event committee?
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    bah...im from NY...i SNEEZE on detroit weather
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I live in the tropics!! I don't even have a sweater not to mention I have less than 3 pairs of long jeans :bawling:
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    bah...im from NY...i SNEEZE on detroit weather

Bah... I'm from Canada. I cough SARS on American weather. :D

Doesn't look like I can make it if it will be within the next month.

Hydro One had a massive 160,000 Litre (37,000 US gallons) PCB-Contaminated Transformer Oil spill today at our main Southern Ontario transmission site (Cherrywood Transmission Station) in Pickering, Ontario that broke the containment barrier and spilled into the local water system, which is directly connected to Lake Ontario.

Hydro One is mobilizing the PCB Emergency Response Team to arrive on site and we will be testing the local water and soil for contamination for the next 30-45 days, which includes weekends. Members of the PCB Emergency Response Team, during crisis, are not permitted to leave their area of juristiction and failure to heed this warning are grounds for dismisal.

Sorry guys. :(
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    so I is confused, I saw some comments about maybe pushing it back? whats the verdict on that?
    edited October 2003
    I mean, the vote was purely academic.

Can we settle on a date that maximizes the potential of the most people coming? Will it have to be in January? I personally don't care, and I am pretty sure that most of the locals don't care (I'll let them speak for themselves).

Maybe we should ignore the vote, and have everyone post what weekend(s) they WOULD be available and we'll work from there.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    If (heh) there's snow, there'll need to be the First Annual Short-Media SnowBall fight.

I may be in, depending on my car situation at the time (Currently none, may have one later this year...or whatever)
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect said
    I mean, the vote was purely academic.

Can we settle on a date that maximizes the potential of the most people coming? Will it have to be in January? I personally don't care, and I am pretty sure that most of the locals don't care (I'll let them speak for themselves).

Maybe we should ignore the vote, and have everyone post what weekend(s) they WOULD be available and we'll work from there.

Early January would be much better for me personally, I don't know about everyone else, just putting in my vote! I don't get out for winter break till like December 18th, then I'm probably going to have family Xmas stuff to deal with, so, after new years/early january would be best for me
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Weekends of Jan 10 and Feb 14 are the only times I'm really busy after the holidays.

Weekend of Nov. 28 still seems to be fitting most problems I'm seeing. It is past the 45 day mark for SimGuy and it is before December to meet Shorty's need.
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited October 2003
    clutch, where do you live in north carolina?

i go to davidson, which is basically a northern suburb of charlotte. lake norman area if you've ever heard of the lake.

anyone from anywhere near charlotte?
    edited October 2003
    I'm not used to cold weather myself, and I really don't like snow because you get all wet and all after being out in it. But if I do go, I will be prepared, and I don't think I can handle a round of golf in cold weather, but that leaves more time for gaming :thumbsup:

As far as the whole "when it will be held" situation, later is better for me to get prepared and all. As far as the day after Thanksgivng day thing, traffic will be a pain in the ass everywhere I imagine b/c of all the mad sales that will be taking place across the states. I don't know how busy my new work place will be the day after thanksgiving, but if not too busy I could take off Friday the 28th, b/c Thanksgiving is a paid holdiay so that will give me plenty of time to arrive in Detroit on the 28th.

I start my new job oct 7th, so after a set date is made I will see about asking for a day off, and then work on my parents.

As far as the games, the new Counter Strike game ships on November 14th if anyone likes Countert STrike.

Edit: I live in Holden Beach, North carolina, about 3 hours from there.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Alrighty then...

in the interests of meeting as many of you as possible ....

/me changes his vote to the "whenever the hell people are available" option ..

any mods wanna add that to the poll ?????
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    Depending on the games and date my roommate Norge might come.
    edited October 2003
    mondi said
    Alrighty then...

in the interests of meeting as many of you as possible ....

* mondi changes his vote to the "whenever the hell people are available" option ..

any mods wanna add that to the poll ?????
    Done :)
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited October 2003
    i would be in for a january date, as that is when everything settles down after the holidays, and its the beginning of a new quarter so i wont have to study much:D

The only problem i forsee is we may hit some bad weather come january making travel hard/impossible
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited October 2003
    Due to work, about the only date (on the poll) I'd consider is the 28th of November...since that's paid off-time anyway.

Greyhound for me, leaving the 27th and returning on Dec. 1st is 17 hours up to Detroit, and 19 hours down. Despite the $140 price, that's a hella-lotta time, so I'm prolly out. :(
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    T-Bird, if its possible you can come to Columbus and you can go with me the rest of the way.
    edited October 2003
    On the route to Detroit, I have to run through Ohio, if anyone near or around would like to meet up to drive together.
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited October 2003
    Looks like if I am going we are driving for 10 hours and go right through canada.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    Well, I can't go this winter... maybe next time, if we have one in the summer or something... (besides, I will not will not will not will not will not will NOT subject a fine piece of German Engineering to snow. I refuse. :D)