First Annual Short-Media LAN - VOTE!!

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Mackanz said
    Shorty said
    Need to know a date... if I can.. Il fly out for the weekend :D

Dont count me out totally either. Brian, can you get crappy case, psu and monitor if i bring the cpu, memory and 9700?

That was my plan Mack :D You gonna come to??
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Why not? I wouldn´t miss this event for the world. As long as i can get off from work and all. Many "If´s", but you´ll never know.
    edited October 2003
    Same here for me. I got so much work on and getting time off is like getting hen's teeth :mad:

But Im gonna damn well try!
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    if u guys want...i got sum extra rigs i can bring in...one has a 7500...with a 1900+ which im sure can handle UT2003, i also have a vodoo3, 3000, which i am also sure can handle UT...oh..and a geforece 2 ultra....with a 3200+ cpu....so if i get a ride there...ill bring it up for the weekend (ill lose folding power...but it beats u dudes coming down with all that crap)....i also have sum cheap 15" monitors at my disposal...like REALLY cheap though....just say the word and ill bring it
    edited October 2003
    December 5th weekend is a no-go for me in any shape or form.

Trin works all over xmas & new year, so this is our best time we are gonna get to celebrate it and have time off for the festive season. No way can I do that weekend.

Seems the most popular date as well :(
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Do you think anyone would notice if I hid in one of Shorty's luggage cases? But people may get suspicious when they see him carrying a luggage case bigger than him.... (but on the other had that probably counts for 90% of normal luggage cases too ;D ).

£275 geez... could buy an entire new system for that :(

suck

NS
    edited October 2003
    You can give it a try NS :)

Might be a bit of bumby & chilly ride for ya though. Get a thick jumper!

I know .. £275 .. but gotta do these things ... you are only young once (even though I turn 29 in 4 months :eek: )
    edited October 2003
    Shorty said
    You can give it a try NS :)

Might be a bit of bumby & chilly ride for ya though. Get a thick jumper!

I know .. £275 .. but gotta do these things ... you are only young once (even though I turn 29 in 4 months :eek: )

I would love to do this but I am the most recessive person you will ever meet, I don't do anything due to fear of it going wrong (which it always does).

On the internet you get to see the opposite obnoxios and noisy me (as if things go wrong I am not left in an awkward position or left face to face).

I do have the money, but not the courage to do it.

NS
    edited October 2003
    NightShade737 said
    I do have the money, but not the courage to do it.

NS

Which seems a shame when a few UK-ers turning up in person to show these yankee schmucks how to really game.. sounds to me like the way to do things :)

Im not gonna get all phychological on you but not everything will go wrong :)
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited October 2003
    Anyone want to swing by and pick me up? ;)

Total Estimated Time: 12 hours, 51 minutes
    Total Distance: 791.39 miles

That's from my house to the Sarcnet building :(
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    The poll should have been the one with tick boxes instead of radio buttons... to mark all the ones you're available rather than just your favorite.

Shorty can't make it Dec 5 :eek2: Who wants their vote moved to a different day?? :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    I am thinking about coming as well. I game very little and what I do we prolly wont be playing. Meaning lately I started playing Diablo II again. I will come mostly just to see all you guys in person.

The 24th isnt going to be good for me cause exams are the next week and the 7th is a big family get together I think. Other than that I can drive my new '99 Alero up to Detroit. I can pick up someone else if they are on my way or want to come here and continue with me.

I dont have much I can bring along that people can game with cept a stick of PC2100, 300W PSU and some NICs. I have some cases but no idea if they would be usable. I can check tho.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Sarcnet offices are fantastic! A plush entry way comprised of a metallic alloy door really sets you into the spirit of Detroit. Entering into the facilities, the dim light of the electrophosphor tube lights recessed into the ceiling really make the area appear larger than it is. A careful design bonus inferred upon the building. To the right of the entrance is the illustrious workspace of TK and Prime, carpeted in plush utilitarianism. Glittering flat-panels on out-of-place desks add a touch of glamour to the facilities, and really makes you feel like you belong.

Exiting from the offices and returning back into the dimly-lit hallway, you may turn at the next right then hang a left. In here is the Short-Media dev box, Keyboard Jockey, and Addaboy. I recount vague illusions of grandeur, wanting to unplug Kanez from his hosting because he makes fun of Lord of the Rings. But alas, the room is expertly furnished with laminated particleboard tables and metal chairs. In one corner is a large modular plastic rack responsible for holding innumerable amounts of junk wherein prime knows not if they work. Of course, this room as well as all previous are glamorously clad in faux-wood panneling. Apparently one of the tables is the work bench, where like a proud father, I helped assemble the Opteron rig you all know and love.

And then finally, exiting this room back into a hallway and taking the second right you come across is the kitchen. Nothing more than non-dairy creamer, sugar, a few cups, and an empty refridgerator with a light that seems on its dying breaths. Expertly-clashing colors and a placeless coffee pot compliment the clash and lend themselves to the decor.

:D
    edited October 2003
    eve1lloyd.jpg Now who would live in a house. like. this?

:rolleyes2:

NS
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I think I need to bring this up as I have done bit of flying in the past year and the last time I wanted to check a compter (just the box) as baggage. All the airlines have a disclaimer against damage to compters as baggage. They are in no way liable for any damage to TV's, Computers and other electronic equipment. This isn't very comforting when I know the nickname baggage handlers have on the ramp, "Gorillas". The old Samsonite comercials were not exagerating. If you ship, do not use the U.S. Postal Service. The post office will handle it worse and in the event of needing to make a claim for a lost or broken computer you will have a very hard time collecting (I am still out for one I shipped through them 2 years ago). I would use Fed-Ex or UPS and insure it appropriately. Make sure to pack it well and I would remove the video card, memory, and HS from the CPU. After doing some shipping these are the things that come loose in shipping or do a lot of damage. The bus idea sounds pretty good for those who wish to take their tower PC and monitor.
    edited October 2003
    Next on the front page: Thrax' review of the sarcnet office :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Actually I was hoping to get a wireless security article up there. :D
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited October 2003
    I've often wondered how many SM members actually had met. This would be a great opportunity.

Sadly, I just can't justify 2+ days to travel and gaming, it's tough enough for me to hit my own local LAN (http://www.carnagge.com), for a one day event, much less one in Detroit.

Have fun everyone, and try to leave Prime the last slice of pizza, it's just the right thing to do.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    woohoo, i don't have a date in mind yet, but when we have a good date set, and it's now snowing bad i would come, probably with DOSMAN.
    this mean i can't bring my 22in monitor, ahh, maybe i will just have to borrow my sister's 15in LCD, and put my rig in the car and along with DOSMAN's rig.

this will be fun, i will also bring some instant noodles if anyone is hungry.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Instant noodles pwn! I forsee a lot of microwave foodage going on - we do have a microwave that I forgot to mention. Since Thrax has so graciously reviewed our fine offices, I was so awestruck by the review that I blanked on the microwave.

Thrax - best review evar.

As was also pointed out in his review, I do have several spare parts. I could probably provide a case or two, and at least two monitors, maybe three if I unhook the monitor from the server rack KVM. We need to have people call dibs on stuff though so there's no confusion.

I have no problem changing the dates either - the poll was mostly for a discussion starter. We can move it up, down, sideways, january, I don't care. I want to be able to have the most people there as possible, so let's be flexible.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I am not a gamer, haven't played since wolfII was new, but it is hard to pass up an event like this.
    I may just need to make a business trip to Detroit. Of course my Dad lives in Troy so I have a place available.
    I'll have to keep an eye on this.
    edited October 2003
    How about moving the LAN just a little further east..... to a small Island just off the coast of France.....

NS
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Tell you what, if changing the date and making computers available means shorty and mackanz can come, I'll bring my home computer in and set up my kids computer as well. Bring your video cards gentlemen, because GeForce4 MX440s and Radeon 7500s won't be cutting it, methinks.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2003
    I'm all up for changing the dates myself, if we have to move it back so we have 5 more people coming then that is great, a better opporunity for us to all meet more of our community, and better chance I can probably save up for a plane ticket, hehe

Oh and I can't remember the date but in Novembe Unreal Tournamnet 2004 is released, so if we can set the date after then, we can have the first UT2k4 tournament also.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Wugs, we'll talk about travel. Where in NY are you?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    If someone does ship it, make sure you package it well. I work at fed ex and boxes arent handled as nicely as you think. Stiff stryofoam is a MUST.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    brooklyn..represent...but right now i dorm at stony brook...how close are either of those?
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Thrax said
    In here is the Short-Media dev box, Keyboard Jockey, and Addaboy. I recount vague illusions of grandeur, wanting to unplug Kanez from his hosting because he makes fun of Lord of the Rings.

:D

hahaha. Don't forget! My site's gotta be lurking around one of those boxes somewhere too! hahaha, Plz dun unplug teh purposeless websitez
    edited October 2003
    On second thought... the dev server and MM in the same room? :eek2:

;D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Kanez made fun of LOTR's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Die Infidel!!!!!!!!

Wugg... you're off my list... We're buddies again. KANEZ must face the hordes of hellish Crusaders!!!.... Then Wugg will go back on the list to face the same hordes. But, for now, you're cool.

I know, you've been sweating over my crusade.... but bunnies taste so good... barbequed, roasted, fried, boiled.....