*NEW* SiI3x12: SATA RAID/IDE BIOS v4x76 Released

Comments

• edited February 2006
    Roger that, Thanks Spinner.

I'll take those steps and post some progress shortly.
  • edited February 2006
    OK, WD Diagnostic tool tests (quick and full) on both seperate drives passed ok. I also benchmarked the individual drives and they seemed ok, but not as fast as my other Raptors on the Intel SATA/RAID controller.

However problems still exist. I can format the drives when in SATA mode, seperately. But, when I enable the RAID 0 config, I cannot partition/format the logical disk with the Windows Disk Management utility. The process gets to 100% then says "the drive cannot be formatted" or something to that affect.

I am going to try my other pc, I am hoping that the problem is with the Sil 3112 SATA/RAID controller and not my drives.
  • edited March 2006
    I have some problem with my Giga Byte 8SQ800Ultra mobo and my maxtor sata drive.
    I asket GigaByte for my problem and they have done a new bios for my modo F8f with new onboard controller bios for sil and ite , but they aren't the last!

The ite is 1.41 and sil is 4.2.41.

Now I have some other little problem with my hdd and windows xp ( dll corrupted and blue screen) so I want to update this new bios with the last controller bios, but I don't konow how!

I post the new bios from gigabyte 8SQ800U ( F8f ) + ite rom file ( 1.71 ) and sil ( 4.2.76 ) , can anybody help me ??

Tnks
  • edited March 2006
    magicko wrote:
    I have some problem with my Giga Byte 8SQ800Ultra mobo and my maxtor sata drive.
    I asket GigaByte for my problem and they have done a new bios for my modo F8f with new onboard controller bios for sil and ite , but they aren't the last!

The ite is 1.41 and sil is 4.2.41.

Now I have some other little problem with my hdd and windows xp ( dll corrupted and blue screen) so I want to update this new bios with the last controller bios, but I don't konow how!

I post the new bios from gigabyte 8SQ800U ( F8f ) + ite rom file ( 1.71 ) and sil ( 4.2.76 ) , can anybody help me ??

Tnks

Help me !!!!!
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited March 2006
    magicko wrote:
    Help me !!!!!
    There you go. Use at your own risk. :)
  • edited March 2006
    For Spinner :

tnks, it's ok.

A question. If I want to do some other mod by myself how can I do? Do you use awdedit? How?

tnks
    edited March 2006
    magicko wrote:
    For Spinner :

tnks, it's ok.

A question. If I want to do some other mod by myself how can I do? Do you use awdedit? How?

tnks
    Google 'Bios Modding', there are plenty of guides available on the web.

Cheers :)
  • edited March 2006
    hey spinner.

i'm new at this forum, so forgive me if i start off asking stupid questions :-/
    as you wrote in your first post, you've successfully tested the new bios on the an7.
    i own the same board and plan to upgrade my hdds to sata (no, don't have any sata-drives yet).
    now here's my problem:

i only want to connect a single sata-hdd to the onboard 3112 controller and this one is supposed to be the bood drive. does this mean i have to set the controller to "base-mode" and if so, how'd i do this? or does this somehow automatically happen as soon as only one drive is connected?
    also, i'd like to ask if the new bios 4x76 is suitable in my case and which driver i should use.

and one more last thing: as you tested the an7 already, you probably have a modded bios at hand, don't you...? ;)

thanks in advance
  • edited March 2006
    Hi Spinner,

I've been experiencing corruption when dealing with huge files (>1 GB) and it's been a nightmare for me.

I have 2x 200GB Samsung SP2004C in RAID 0 on an NF7-S v1.2
    My BIOS version is #28, the latest available for my 1.1 board from Abit. I'm not sure what version of the SI 3112 controller it uses.
    And I did the windows update on my SI, so it's running on 1.0.56.0.

I have no idea what causes this corruption. I would reallly appreciate it if you helped me out.

Is the 28 bios for this NF7-S v1.2 comming with a good Si 3112 BIOS?

Thanks a lot!!
  • edited March 2006
    From my digging on this (http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/download/download_bios_detail.php?pFILE_TYPE=Bios&pMAIN_TYPE=Motherboard&pTITLE_ON_SCREEN=NF7-S&pSOCKET_TYPE=Socket%2BA)

page, it looks like my bios might be using v4.2.47 of the Si 3112 controller....
  • edited March 2006
    Spinner, you seem to be the boss around here ... anywhere I should look before asking for a custom BIOS?

I'm on a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (rev.1x), newest BIOS F11 -- had MCE05 installed about 6mos now... long story short, I went to bed and when I got home from work the next day and went to check my downloads, my computer'd been rebooting for who knows how many hours - the onboard 3112 chip can't find my SATA WD drive any more. Since then, with hours of tweaking BIOS settings, swapping cables, cleaning everything well, trying the other ports ... intermittent at best (like 1 time every 50 boots) - but then i only get into windows like 5 seconds and it reboots.

Posting this from a new install on a backup IDE drive, but i'm not happy :skeptic:

Anyway, if you've got a proper bios i'll be thankful :D
    edited March 2006
    Spinner, you seem to be the boss around here ... anywhere I should look before asking for a custom BIOS?

I'm on a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (rev.1x), newest BIOS F11 -- had MCE05 installed about 6mos now... long story short, I went to bed and when I got home from work the next day and went to check my downloads, my computer'd been rebooting for who knows how many hours - the onboard 3112 chip can't find my SATA WD drive any more. Since then, with hours of tweaking BIOS settings, swapping cables, cleaning everything well, trying the other ports ... intermittent at best (like 1 time every 50 boots) - but then i only get into windows like 5 seconds and it reboots.

Posting this from a new install on a backup IDE drive, but i'm not happy :skeptic:

Anyway, if you've got a proper bios i'll be thankful :D
    I don't think your reboots will have anything to do with your SATA controller, you insinuated that your computer has been running just fine using the controller for a good time before you started to suffer reboots.

Consider the possibility that there is a problem with your SATA hard drive.

Nevertheless, the 3112 controller version bundled with your motherboards BIOS was pretty ancient, so please see the attached modded BIOS with the latest SI3112 controller BIOS version 4247.

Also make sure you run the controller in RAID mode (not BASE) and that you use the latest drivers: http://www.short-media.com/download.php?d=528

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
  • edited March 2006
    Spinner,

i'll fire that up today- thanKs!

after posting from the new ide install last night i got it up (new sata cable and reflashed f11 bios) & booted into my old install finally, but the first three boots i was unable to run any programs other than explorer. it let me copy files to my backup drive but that's it. eventually i got it to let me run ms updates and firefox... but it was bluescreening and rebooting, both on the new barenaked xp and the sata mce05 installs... it's been up in mce05 stably for about 12hrs now as i turned off the autoreboot thing (in error reporting tab i think), and i've been trying to keep track of the event viewer (naked v3rsion didn't have one). i dunno, i'm excited to try your bios and i'll think about RMAing the pretty new sata drive :(

i am concerned that both installs are crashing though, that's weird to me.

thanks again!

so i want to run in RAID mode even though it's my only sata drive? hadn't thought of that...

OH - from last post -- it was booting over and over cause it couldn't find an OS to boot into, i wasn't suspecting the sata drive but the controller?
  • edited March 2006
    Hi everybody. Sorry to enter this forum and already asking for bios modding, but I saw other users asking for that taipan bios. I have an abit nf7-s v2.0 and I would like to use latest bios from taipan, but also latest sataraid bios. Spinner would u mind modding this one for us?

I attach you bios D27 03 by taipan, normal version and with CPC-OFF version, hoping u can mod them to include latest SATA3112 bios in them. Thx in advance.
  • edited April 2006
    Ok.. I *really* should have worked on this more before rebooting the machine, but I messed up this time. I have a 3112 card made by Syba that I was attempting to update the bios on to 4.2.76, but the flash utility didn't have the specific flash chip - a 29W010B - listed anywhere. I tried using the 29F010B entry, but that gave a message 'BIOS loading failed'. Since there were no messages suggesting that it had started erasing the flash, I didn't think any changes had been made.

After a couple failed attempts, I rebooted, and now the card can't load its bios at all, it just hangs when it gets to that stage of the load process. How can I get the system to boot past the card so that its bios might be fixed, and which flash type should I use to update this cards bios?

Thanks for the help.
  • edited April 2006
    I want to thank you, Spinner, for the help you provide here on this forum. A lot of us wouldn't be able to solve our computer problems without the assistance you and those few like you provide.

I am trying to get a couple of GigaByte GA-7NNXP motherboards with on board SiI3112 to work with a pair of Maxtor 200GB SATA150 drives. In RAID mode the controller (usually) sees only the second drive and won't install. In normal mode the controller recognises the two drives, but the system hangs at the start of WinXP loading with a black screen. I would expect that the newer 3x12 v4.2.76 bios would be more likely to work with the new larger SATA drives.

I use both the standard GigaByte version F20 bios and a modified HARDM3NU II bios by Pr3ach3r which runs a Mobile Athlon 2500 at blazing speed without a complaint. The unmodified HARDM3NU II bios is at http://www.overkillsystems.com/PR3ACH3R/HARDM3NU_DL.htm and the unmodified GigaByte F20 bios is at http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=BIOS&FileID=11011. I would appreciate it if you could generate updated versions of these BIOS files.

Thanks for your help,
    DickT
    edited April 2006
    DickT wrote:
    I want to thank you, Spinner, for the help you provide here on this forum. A lot of us wouldn't be able to solve our computer problems without the assistance you and those few like you provide.

I am trying to get a couple of GigaByte GA-7NNXP motherboards with on board SiI3112 to work with a pair of Maxtor 200GB SATA150 drives. In RAID mode the controller (usually) sees only the second drive and won't install. In normal mode the controller recognises the two drives, but the system hangs at the start of WinXP loading with a black screen. I would expect that the newer 3x12 v4.2.76 bios would be more likely to work with the new larger SATA drives.

I use both the standard GigaByte version F20 bios and a modified HARDM3NU II bios by Pr3ach3r which runs a Mobile Athlon 2500 at blazing speed without a complaint. The unmodified HARDM3NU II bios is at http://www.overkillsystems.com/PR3ACH3R/HARDM3NU_DL.htm and the unmodified GigaByte F20 bios is at http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=BIOS&FileID=11011. I would appreciate it if you could generate updated versions of these BIOS files.

Thanks for your help,
    DickT
    The HARDM3NU II download package appears to have numerous different versions contained, post back and attach the exact BIOS files you want modifying to your post, including the official Gigabyte. I haven't got the time to figure out which ones you want doing. Post back, with the individual BIOS files attached and I'll be happy to do it for you.

Thanks
  • edited April 2006
    hey spinner have u got time to give a look at my bios to modify it?
    edited April 2006
    oldhouse wrote:
    hey spinner have u got time to give a look at my bios to modify it?
    I'm afraid I had trouble accessing the BIOS .bin files you attached, I'm not sure what the problem is with them. I'll try and look into it next week if I get chance.

Thanks.
  • edited April 2006
    Ok thx for help. If u need it I can directly link u up with files posted on another forum...
  • edited April 2006
    Here are images of the Hardm3nu II bios I am using and the official Gigabyte GA-7NNXP version F20 bios. I had forgotten that there were a couple flavors of the Hardm3nu bios. I appreciate your help in modding them to include the new SATA ver. 4276 bios.

DickT
  • edited April 2006
    Spinner wrote:
    I've tested the 3112 bios (v4276) with the onboard controller on the Abit NF7-S v2 and Abit AN7, and it works just fine.

hey spinner,

if you find the time, could you just post the AN7 bios with the latest 3112 bios as you seem to have modded it already? that would be really nice!

:Rocker:
  • edited April 2006
    Spinner wrote:
    Silicon Image have released new 3112 and 3512 controller RAID/IDE BIOS's v4276 and v4376.

I've tested the 3112 bios (v4276) with the onboard controller on the Abit NF7-S v2 and Abit AN7, and it works just fine.

Cheers

Spinner,
    I downloaded the attached BIOS and when I unzipped it there were 3 .bin files. Which one do I use for the SiI3112 PCI Card? I was going to install using the Control Panel option in Windows XP Pro.
    My client is continuing to have problems on 2 PCs with the ASUS P5GD1-VM Motherboard. RAID works fine for a few days and then I start to get messages like, "Time: 2006.04.11 at 22:18:59 Controller ID: 1 SeqNumber: 3 Severity: 3 Description: SCSI Error-Aborted Command. Error occured on Channel 1 device on adapter 1. Channel 1 - Key 0b - ASC 00, ASCQ 00 - CDB 0x28 0x00 0x00 0x57 0x5b 0x5f 0x00 0x00 0x80 0x00 0x00 0x00 - INFO 00 00 00 00" and the Mirror is dropped.
    I'm hoping the BIOS update will fix it but can't risk installing the wrong one as I've had their systems down several days over the last few months. Thanks.
    edited April 2006
    DickT wrote:
    Here are images of the Hardm3nu II bios I am using and the official Gigabyte GA-7NNXP version F20 bios. I had forgotten that there were a couple flavors of the Hardm3nu bios. I appreciate your help in modding them to include the new SATA ver. 4276 bios.

DickT
    There you go. Use at your own risk.
    edited April 2006
    hey spinner,

if you find the time, could you just post the AN7 bios with the latest 3112 bios as you seem to have modded it already? that would be really nice!

:Rocker:
    There you go, use at your own risk.
    edited April 2006
    VernRobTSI wrote:
    Spinner,
    I downloaded the attached BIOS and when I unzipped it there were 3 .bin files. Which one do I use for the SiI3112 PCI Card? I was going to install using the Control Panel option in Windows XP Pro.
    My client is continuing to have problems on 2 PCs with the ASUS P5GD1-VM Motherboard. RAID works fine for a few days and then I start to get messages like, "Time: 2006.04.11 at 22:18:59 Controller ID: 1 SeqNumber: 3 Severity: 3 Description: SCSI Error-Aborted Command. Error occured on Channel 1 device on adapter 1. Channel 1 - Key 0b - ASC 00, ASCQ 00 - CDB 0x28 0x00 0x00 0x57 0x5b 0x5f 0x00 0x00 0x80 0x00 0x00 0x00 - INFO 00 00 00 00" and the Mirror is dropped.
    I'm hoping the BIOS update will fix it but can't risk installing the wrong one as I've had their systems down several days over the last few months. Thanks.
    r4276 is for the RAID bios, b4276 is for the IDE bios. Going by what you've said, the RAID one (r4276) is the one you'll want to use.

Cheers
  • edited April 2006
    Spinner wrote:
    r4276 is for the RAID bios, b4276 is for the IDE bios. Going by what you've said, the RAID one (r4276) is the one you'll want to use.

Cheers

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm going to wait until this evening to remotely install the bios update using GoToMyPC. Is that safe to do it that way or should I be onsite?
    Also, will the RAID rebuild itself? Right now it shows up as Dropped. I haven't seen any way to do that from Windows using SATA RAID Tools v1.22.
    Thanks again.
  • edited April 2006
    Spinner wrote:
    There you go, use at your own risk.

thanks!

:cheers:
  • edited April 2006
    :bawling: Can anybody help me with infamous asus a7n8xe-deluxe onboard sil sata 3112 bios upgrading?With this new one(v4x76),cos right now, i cant boot from newly installed samsung 250 gb sata drive.Setup says no hdd....win xp recognises it though and norton partition magic lets format and do stuff on it.Im totally dumbuser concidering modding motherboard bioses.I have latest asus bios file...version-1013.As there are many other this mobo users,i think such upgraded mobo bios will be greeted well.Weird thing is mine simple award bios dont see it also,but it is so old and simplified,maybe it shouldnt see sata single drive anyway.btw i will use single sata drive on this mobo,not any raid array.