*NEW* SiI3x12: SATA RAID/IDE BIOS v4x76 Released

123457»

Comments

• edited April 2007
    Hi,
    I am running into issues with Gigabyte GA-8TRS350MT using SATA hard disk. The F8 bios having SATA 3112 bios version of 4.2.43..

I tried modifying the F8 bios and added 4.2.83 from Silicon Image..However when I flash this bios, the hard not getting detected during POST as well as not getting any option to enter into Silicon Image Utility (Ctrl+s or F4)..

Can anyone know the answer for this..?
  • edited April 2007
    asbxxx wrote:
    Hi,
    I am running into issues with Gigabyte GA-8TRS350MT using SATA hard disk. The F8 bios having SATA 3112 bios version of 4.2.43..

I tried modifying the F8 bios and added 4.2.83 from Silicon Image..However when I flash this bios, the hard not getting detected during POST as well as not getting any option to enter into Silicon Image Utility (Ctrl+s or F4)..

Can anyone know the answer for this..?

Make sure the SATA Boot ROM is enabled in the BIOS.

I must warn you that I have had issues with the 4.2.83 SATA BIOS and have reverted back to 4.2.79 (running under Win XP SP2)

HDD: Maxtor 250GB SATA 6V250F0
    Mobo: ABit AN7 BIOS Rev 19
    Driver: 1.0.56.1

Errors: frequent & random reboots - no loss of data
  • edited April 2007
    winactive wrote:
    Make sure the SATA Boot ROM is enabled in the BIOS.

I must warn you that I have had issues with the 4.2.83 SATA BIOS and have reverted back to 4.2.79 (running under Win XP SP2)

HDD: Maxtor 250GB SATA 6V250F0
    Mobo: ABit AN7 BIOS Rev 19
    Driver: 1.0.56.1

Errors: frequent & random reboots - no loss of data

There is an issue with the PC - please disregard this notification about the 4.2.83 BIOS. Still working to resolve the issue.
  • edited May 2007
    Spinner wrote:
    Hi typeoserv, welcome to Short-Media!

The ATA and SATA BIOS files (IT8212F & Sil3112) are both part of the motherboard BIOS. There would be no problem flashing a BIOS to your motherboard that would update both your controller BIOS's at the same time.

That being said I haven't been able to find a controller BIOS file to update the IT8212F rom (the ITE site only has up a PCI card BIOS update file, which won't do), however in the FK version of your motherboard BIOS (newer version than the one you're running) I think Gigabyte might have updated the IT8212F controller BIOS to 1.7x anyway, so...

Please find attached a modded version of the FK BIOS for your motherboard, modded with the latest SI3112 controller BIOS (4247).

Let me know how you get on. Use at your own risk.

Cheers

Ok - I have a 8knxp rev2 running fk bios.
    I updated using the Modded Bios with the updated SI3112 and the system freezes up on the Windows Bootup screen. I have no raid drivers loaded in Windows as I am doing a fresh install and I disabled the SI3112 controller in Bios. I am booting off of the Intel ICH5 sata controller in Non-Raid Mode. Installing Windows XP SP2. If I restore bios to factory stock FK - No problems

Any Help is appreciated
  • edited May 2007
    birnbad1 wrote:
    Ok - I have a 8knxp rev2 running fk bios.
    I updated using the Modded Bios with the updated SI3112 and the system freezes up on the Windows Bootup screen. I have no raid drivers loaded in Windows as I am doing a fresh install and I disabled the SI3112 controller in Bios. I am booting off of the Intel ICH5 sata controller in Non-Raid Mode. Installing Windows XP SP2. If I restore bios to factory stock FK - No problems

Any Help is appreciated

Please PM me with the modded BIOS for me to look at (the Spinner one), I will re-mod with the SiL3112 BIOS 4.2.83

Further to my previous post in this thread I can confirm that the issue has been resolved and the 4.2.83 BIOS works fine with the 1.0.56.1 driver. :thumbsup:
  • edited May 2007
    winactive wrote:
    Please PM me with the modded BIOS for me to look at (the Spinner one), I will re-mod with the SiL3112 BIOS 4.2.83

Further to my previous post in this thread I can confirm that the issue has been resolved and the 4.2.83 BIOS works fine with the 1.0.56.1 driver. :thumbsup:

I appreciate the help

FYI - I have tried every version of SiL3112 Bios and even did the mod mysef - same problem . . .

Here is my config

Gigabyte 8KNXP - FK Bios
    1.5 Gig Dram
    P4-3.2 Prescott

Sony DWD/RW IDE connected to IDE port - Channel 0 Master
    Seagate 120 Meg SATA ST3120026AS connected to SATA0 Port (Intel ICH5R) - mapped as IDE Channel 1 Master
    On Chip SATA set as auto (Intel)
    SATA Raid disabled (Intel)

Onboard H/W SATA - enabled (Sil3112)
    Serial ATA Function - Raid (Sil3112)

Onboard H/W Gigaraid - Disabled

(2) WDC WD2500SD connected to SATA Raid Ports (Sil3112)

Disabled Raid - Disabled Controller - formated drives - same Problem

Windows XP Pro 32 Bit Installed on 120 Gig Seagate Drive connected to Intel ICHR5 in non raid mode

windows boot - bar crawls across screen - then stops
    when booting in safe mode - Machine freezes directly after loading agp440 driver

Here is the unmodifiied bios
    I have downloaded every single sata raid bios from this forum - modded the original - it worked from the perspective that when I booted up - the new bios was displayed and I could log in to the raid utility and create and delete voulmes - but windows would lock up

I also did a fresh install - windows loaded - but then when it booted into the gui the first time - it locked up

Video card is standard BFG Nvidia FX5500 - no overclocked
  • edited May 2007
    here are the Raid bios files that I tested
  • edited November 2008
    Hi,
    I've buy an HD SATA (SAMSUNG 1000GByte) and my MB don't recognize it.
    Can someone help me?:respect:
    Can someone modify a bios firmware F8F (not official) or F8A (official) for to recognize this HD?:respect:
    Thanks before.
  • edited November 2008
    iltone wrote:
    Hi,
    I've buy an HD SATA (SAMSUNG 1000GByte) and my MB don't recognize it.
    Can someone help me?:respect:
    Can someone modify a bios firmware F8F (not official) or F8A (official) for to recognize this HD?:respect:
    Thanks before.

Here is the F8f BIOS modded with the 4284 Sil 3112A BIOS.
  • edited November 2008
    birnbad1 wrote:
    I appreciate the help

FYI - I have tried every version of SiL3112 Bios and even did the mod mysef - same problem . . .

Here is my config

Gigabyte 8KNXP - FK Bios
    1.5 Gig Dram
    P4-3.2 Prescott

Sony DWD/RW IDE connected to IDE port - Channel 0 Master
    Seagate 120 Meg SATA ST3120026AS connected to SATA0 Port (Intel ICH5R) - mapped as IDE Channel 1 Master
    On Chip SATA set as auto (Intel)
    SATA Raid disabled (Intel)

Onboard H/W SATA - enabled (Sil3112)
    Serial ATA Function - Raid (Sil3112)

Onboard H/W Gigaraid - Disabled

(2) WDC WD2500SD connected to SATA Raid Ports (Sil3112)

Disabled Raid - Disabled Controller - formated drives - same Problem

Windows XP Pro 32 Bit Installed on 120 Gig Seagate Drive connected to Intel ICHR5 in non raid mode

windows boot - bar crawls across screen - then stops
    when booting in safe mode - Machine freezes directly after loading agp440 driver

Here is the unmodifiied bios
    I have downloaded every single sata raid bios from this forum - modded the original - it worked from the perspective that when I booted up - the new bios was displayed and I could log in to the raid utility and create and delete voulmes - but windows would lock up

I also did a fresh install - windows loaded - but then when it booted into the gui the first time - it locked up

Video card is standard BFG Nvidia FX5500 - no overclocked

Maybe the 4284 BIOS may work for you - here it is. :rockon:
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited August 2009
    Hi guys! long time no see...

Anyone knows the solution to the no video at post time for the Abit AN7?
    Everything works, fans HD's lights but no video
    I've been out of the loop for soo long that I can't remember the fix if any

Thanks in advance!
  • edited August 2009
    EQuito wrote:
    Hi guys! long time no see...

Anyone knows the solution to the no video at post time for the Abit AN7?
    Everything works, fans HD's lights but no video
    I've been out of the loop for soo long that I can't remember the fix if any

Thanks in advance!

AGP board so check GFX card first. Push it into the slot firmly see if its unseated. Otherwise try CMOS reset and then substitute parts, likely GFX, PSU.

HTH :)
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited September 2009
    winactive wrote:
    AGP board so check GFX card first. Push it into the slot firmly see if its unseated. Otherwise try CMOS reset and then substitute parts, likely GFX, PSU.

HTH :)

Thanks for your answer but that's not it. I'm sure there was a very specific fix but I can't find it.
  • dckaczkadckaczka ohio
    edited November 2009
    I know this thread is a bit old, I have this exact problem with an ASUS P5GD2 Deluxe board. Has the onboard SIL3114 controller. Won't boot with Seagate 1TB drives attached. ST310005N1A1AS-RK 7200.12

I have downloaded the linked tools and bios files but I am not familiar with using them. I opened the bios rom file but can't seem to tell how to integrate the latest SIL3114 bios.

Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System is up and working fine on the existing drive. Wanted to add 3 drives on this controller for RAID 5 storage.
  • dckaczkadckaczka ohio
    edited November 2009
    Followed instruction that are earlier in this thread. Was afraid i didn't understand it enough but tried anyway. Replace the bios module that seemed to have the device ID that matched (3114). I guess I got lucky but everything seems to be working great.

I could even setup the RAID 5 in the bios interface which the old version said you could not do. Have the array up in Windows, setup as a volume and formatted. So far no issues.

Dissapointed the motherboard vendor couldn't issue an updated bios that was that simple.

Many thanks to Spinner for the original fixes. It gave me the encouragement to at least try it.
  • ZManiacZManiac Roanoke, VA
    edited February 2010
    dckaczka wrote:
    Followed instruction that are earlier in this thread. Was afraid i didn't understand it enough but tried anyway. Replace the bios module that seemed to have the device ID that matched (3114). I guess I got lucky but everything seems to be working great.
    dckaczka wrote:

I could even setup the RAID 5 in the bios interface which the old version said you could not do. Have the array up in Windows, setup as a volume and formatted. So far no issues.

Dissapointed the motherboard vendor couldn't issue an updated bios that was that simple.

Many thanks to Spinner for the original fixes. It gave me the encouragement to at least try it.

Dckaczka,
    I also have the Asus P5GD2 Premium, running it as a home server w/ 8 drives, now running into the same problems as I replace old drives w/ 1TB and 1.5TB ones. Do you have a modified bios for the above fix that I could use? Much obliged if you do!

Thanks,
    ZManiac.
  • edited September 2010
    ZManiac wrote:

Dckaczka,
    I also have the Asus P5GD2 Premium, running it as a home server w/ 8 drives, now running into the same problems as I replace old drives w/ 1TB and 1.5TB ones. Do you have a modified bios for the above fix that I could use? Much obliged if you do!

Thanks,
    ZManiac.

Did you get sorted? Haven't monitored this thread for a while, just clearing my Hotmail account out and noticed the old reply alerts. Will make a change from rescuing dead TomToms :rockon:
  • edited September 2010
    Had a question on modding the F5 BIOS for the 8INXP motherboard. The last and final version of the SiI BIOS was 4.4.0.2, which came out late October 2008.

I have the file 4402.BIN which I got from inside the zip file located at the link below:

http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI3112_4402all.zip

The F5 BIOS is of course here:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/motherboard_bios_ga-8inxp_f5.exe

Just need to know how to incorporate that bin file into the F5 BIOS, so that I might be able to mod my own BIOS.

I'm fairly ignorant on this stuff and what to watch out for to get this to work right. I've tried my hand once at modding a BIOS but it didn't work.
  • edited September 2010
    ssybesma wrote:
    Had a question on modding the F5 BIOS for the 8INXP motherboard. The last and final version of the SiI BIOS was 4.4.0.2, which came out late October 2008.

I have the file 4402.BIN which I got from inside the zip file located at the link below:

http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI3112_4402all.zip

The F5 BIOS is of course here:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/motherboard_bios_ga-8inxp_f5.exe

Just need to know how to incorporate that bin file into the F5 BIOS, so that I might be able to mod my own BIOS.

I'm fairly ignorant on this stuff and what to watch out for to get this to work right. I've tried my hand once at modding a BIOS but it didn't work.

If you can't follow my guide, then there's a good guide on Rebel's Haven with links to software;

http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/CBROM.html

and here's the ROM attached :type:
  • edited August 2011
    winactive wrote:
    If you can't follow my guide, then there's a good guide on Rebel's Haven with links to software;

http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/CBROM.html

and here's the ROM attached :type:

I have one BIOS issue (that actually may have been an issue all along):

When I boot the machine with a USB drive attached, it always stalls at POST where it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data" and goes no further.

I've tried of course the simple settings in the BIOS to try and force it to prefer booting from the two RAID HDDs I have, but no dice...I always have to boot without the USB drive connected to get it to go past that point.

In researching this, I was playing with the Award BIOS Editor v1.0 and also the Award SLIC Mod v1.52 to see if I could change this behavior, but I saw no way to do that. In fact, the Award BIOS Editor can read the original 8INXP.F5 bin file, but not the modified one you made for me which works perfectly in all other respects. In addition, the Award SLIC Mod says "Module and decompression block checksum is invalid" when I click on Verify.

Do you know of a tool I might be able to use that can change undocumented settings in the Award BIOS (Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG)?

I want you to know I appreciate your great work because the newer SiI BIOS 4.4.0.2 does work where I was not able to get it to work before.

Thanks,

Steve
  • edited August 2011
    ssybesma wrote:
    I have one BIOS issue (that actually may have been an issue all along):

When I boot the machine with a USB drive attached, it always stalls at POST where it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data" and goes no further.

I've tried of course the simple settings in the BIOS to try and force it to prefer booting from the two RAID HDDs I have, but no dice...I always have to boot without the USB drive connected to get it to go past that point.

In researching this, I was playing with the Award BIOS Editor v1.0 and also the Award SLIC Mod v1.52 to see if I could change this behavior, but I saw no way to do that. In fact, the Award BIOS Editor can read the original .F5 bin file, but not the modified one you made for me which works perfectly in all other respects. In addition, the Award SLIC Mod says "Module and decompression block checksum is invalid" when I click on Verify.
    8INXP
    Do you know of a tool I might be able to use that can change undocumented settings in the Award BIOS (Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG)?

I want you to know I appreciate your great work because the newer SiI BIOS 4.4.0.2 does work where I was not able to get it to work before.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi

Without wanting to sound offensive, this may be a "sledgehammer to crack a nut" approach.

There is no need to edit the BIOS, just press 'CTRL' & 'F1' once in BIOS Setup to unhide all the options that are hidden by Gigabyte.

Any features still hidden can usually be edited by MODBIN utility, but they are hidden to this level for a good reason. Unless you are prepared to risk bricking the Mobo by editing these values, or you have a documented fix to follow using this software, then I'd advise against it. MODBIN versioning can be important as to the version that may allow you to edit the BIOS.

Try toggling the 'USB Keyboard support' and 'USB Mouse support' options to 'Disabled' in 'Integrated Peripherals'.

Obviously, this will cause undesirable operation if you actually use a USB Keyboard or Mouse (or USB Wireless Keyboard or Mouse). The devices will work in Windows, but you will require a PS/2 keyboard to reset the options.

In conjunction with this you could try setting the 'First Boot Device' to CD-ROM, followed by HDD-0 as 'Second Boot Device', then USB-FDD, USB Zip, USB CD-ROM, USB HDD as 'Third Boot Device'. Or even try USB options as 'First Boot Device' (assuming of course you have no boot record on the USB drive.)

Assuming you have set the 'SCSI/RAID/SATA Boot Order' to RAID.

If this doesn't solve your issue, your initial diagnosis may well be correct, in that it has been an issue all along (usually a hardware one). There are plenty of boards that exhibit this behaviour when USB drives are attached at boot. My current laptop is exactly the same when a USB pen drive is attached, although my external USB Hard Drive allows the system to boot perfectly. I don't have RAID, but the controller is in AHCI mode as opposed to Legacy.
  • edited August 2011
    winactive wrote:
    Hi

Without wanting to sound offensive, this may be a "sledgehammer to crack a nut" approach.

Wow! That was a great response. I didn't even know about the Ctrl + F1. I'm always looking for stuff like that and as much as I've dug around, I missed that one.

Something else I didn't consider was that the drive was probably attached to a USB 1.1 port instead of a USB 2.0 port. Not sure if that affects anything. Also, the CPU I have is capable of Hyperthreading, so now maybe I can see where that gets set in the BIOS since it's not there normally.

Thanks a ton for the great reply.
  • edited October 2011
    winactive: you've helped a lot of people with BIOS mods... I wonder if you are still out there? I have an intel d845pebt2 m/b that is still working fine with its old 500Gb SATA Drive. I want to make it into a media server but it won't recognize the 2Tb drive I installed... if I boot up first and then power up the drive it works just fine, but if I leave the new drive plugged in, it hangs prior to boot.

I've been reading for hours and found that Intel is "different". I'm not sure if I can get the newer Sil 3112a code into the BIOS. Any ideas?

The BIOS update that I have in place now is here.

ThNKS! :)
  • edited November 2011
    iav8 wrote:
    winactive: you've helped a lot of people with BIOS mods... I wonder if you are still out there? I have an intel d845pebt2 m/b that is still working fine with its old 500Gb SATA Drive. I want to make it into a media server but it won't recognize the 2Tb drive I installed... if I boot up first and then power up the drive it works just fine, but if I leave the new drive plugged in, it hangs prior to boot.

I've been reading for hours and found that Intel is "different". I'm not sure if I can get the newer Sil 3112a code into the BIOS. Any ideas?

Anyone??? :)
  • edited November 2011
    iav8 wrote:
    Anyone??? :)

Can't open your BIOS image with CBROM2XX (running 64-bit now) nor with CBROM32_1.XX

Leave it with me. It's late and I'm tired :rockon: :o :confused:
  • edited November 2011
    iav8 wrote:

'Different', yes. After switching to suitable machine, CBROM215 reports the BIOS code is monolithic and not modular, so as per the tutorial method, it is not possible to either extract nor inject the Sil 3112A BIOS.

Sorry! :o :thumbsdow
  • edited November 2011
    winactive wrote:
    'Different', yes. After switching to suitable machine, CBROM215 reports the BIOS code is monolithic and not modular, so as per the tutorial method, it is not possible to either extract nor inject the Sil 3112A BIOS.

Sorry! :o :thumbsdow

:Thanks for looking into it. :(