$500. What can you get me.

2»

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    TheSmJ had this to say
    Is the only diff between the 947U and the 900A, is that the 947U is a bolt-on?

I suppose that would put less stress on the socket.

The 947 is basicly the same as the 900 but the dimensions were changed so that it could fit more boards since the 900 was fussy due to capacitors and such getting in the way.

Both the SLK-900 and the SLK-947 come in both bolt-on ("U") and clip-on ("A").
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    mtgoat had this to say
    Leonardo had this to say
    Upgrade the CPU heatsink. Right now at SVCompucycle.com, you can get the Thermalright SLK-947U for $31. Deal!

Wow! :eek2:

Once the "U" series are installed do you need to remove the board from the case to remove the HS or is the plate on the bottom pasted to the bottom of the board? Having to remove the board was why I opted for the 800 at the time because I got tired of all the work involved with my Swifty and Aplha HS's.

from thermalright FAQ on 947U ...
    Question 7: Do I remove motherboard each time I upgrade CPU?

Answer: I f you installed the SLK-900 properly in your initial installation ; just make sure the four standoffs are screwed tight, (just like one does when mounting a motherboard to a chassis motherboard tray) then it’s easy to remove heat sink and fan without removing your motherboard when you upgrade the CPU.

It seems that the "A" series is for AMD and the "U" series is a universal type for AMD and/or Intel ...and I only see the 947U as being available.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    Correct.

A = AMD (Socket A, Socket 370, Socket 7)
    U = Universal (Socket A, Socket 478)
  • Living-Dead-ChildLiving-Dead-Child Detroit New
    edited October 2003
    Geeky1 had this to say
    That DDR won't work, unfortunately. The "2x256mb" means it's a set of 2 matched 256MB modules... which is fine, if you want only 512MB of ram. However, if you get 2 of them, you'll have 4 modules. Which won't work very well, since the the NF7, like most nForce boards, has 3 DIMM slots... if you want 1GB of ram, you'll have to go with 2 512MB sticks.

I may not be understanding what you are saying, but I thought I did post I was getting 2 quanity 512 sticks.
    edited October 2003
    mtgoat had this to say
    I also recomend getting one of these adapters for 99 cents unless the fan you order has one included because I do not like running big fans off the mobo and this way you still have speed monitoring.

3. You will regret getting cheap memory!!! I would stick to PC3200 or higher with cas 2 even if it means getting 512 instead of 1 GB.

I assume you mean for me to hook up only my processer fan thin way, not every fan in the case.

I thought I was getting quality memory. I thought thats what kingston was, and I am getting pc3200.
    edited October 2003
    Kingson 512mb (2x256mb) DDR400 PC3200, Model KVR400X64C3AK2/512 2 quanity $202.00

That 512MB is a pair of 2 256MB sticks, not 1 512MB stick (hence the 2x256mb...)
    edited October 2003
    Oh, and yes, Kingston RAM is good...
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, you'll want C3AK2/1GB if you go with that DDR400 Kingston. Personally, I'd get better (read: lower CAS-rating) RAM (and I did). DDR400 is fine, just shoot for CAS2 if you can afford it.
    edited October 2003
    I am not going to post the stuff I did not change.

Thermalright SLK-947-U ( Heatsink ONLY ). All Copper heat spread. Intel: Pentium-4 socket-478 1.8 GHz to 3.06 GHz and above. AMD: All Duron, Tbred and Barton 3200+ and above. $37.99
    Same Price, great.

KINGSTON KVR400X64C25/512 512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM RAM CL2.5 2 quanity $230.00

The processer fan does come with a 3 to 4 pin adaptor.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    But that ram is gonna put you over budget, no?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    get cl2 ...I wish I had.
    edited October 2003
    primesuspect had this to say
    But that ram is gonna put you over budget, no?

This budget well Blown.

I expect to over clock to 5 gig with this computer.:tongue:
    edited October 2003
    csimon had this to say
    get cl2 ...I wish I had.

The new memory is

KINGSTON HyperX 184-pin 512MB DDR400 (PC3200) DDR RAM modules, Model# KHX3200A/512 2 quanity $250.00

What does CAS Latency 2 (2-3-2-6-1T) mean?
    I know latency 2 is great, but what is (2-3-2-6-1T)?
    edited October 2003
    Oh, well in that case, you'll need an Antec TrueControl 550w PS, a Prometia phase change CPU cooling system, and if the budget's blown, you might as well get a bigger case, a nice big RAID array, a DVD burner, etc. while you're at it... ;D
    edited October 2003
    CAS = Column Address Strobe. No, I do not know what that means. All I know is Lower = Better. ;D
    The rest of them are stuff like RAS (Row Address Strobe or something like that, I think) BASS, GAS, MASS, LASS, PASS, (can you tell that I've totally and completely lost it yet? ;D) etc. ;D

Why must you ask me to think at 1 AM? ;D

What you need is Mackanz or Thrax or Leishi or hell Prime probably knows. But beyond telling you that lower is better, and that CAS is Column Address Strobe, I can't help with this one.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I won't pretend to mimic Thrax' and Mackanz' knowledge, but I can provide you this excellent page on memory timings.
    edited October 2003
    It looks like you are on track now. :D I was originally referring to:
    Apacer 512MB DDR PC3200 RAM 32X8 CL=3 (Mosel or Powerchip Chipset) Oem 2 Quanity $153.50
    ...when i made mention of the memory before. ;)

As for the adapter I listed, yes it is just for the CPU fan and I personally don't power and case fans from the board at all. The only ones I do are chipset fans.

csimon
    Thanks for the reply. I was just used to the mounts for the Swiftech and Alpha coming loose when ever I tried to remove the mounting screws from the standoffs. (grrr)
    edited October 2003
    I was just used to the mounts for the Swiftech and Alpha coming loose when ever I tried to remove the mounting screws from the standoffs.

Antisieze works great for that. Just don't over applicate, as it is probably very electrically conductive.
    edited October 2003
    Leonardo had this to say
    I was just used to the mounts for the Swiftech and Alpha coming loose when ever I tried to remove the mounting screws from the standoffs.

Antisieze works great for that. Just don't over applicate, as it is probably very electrically conductive.
    I tried superglue but the standoffs still spun around. When that board went so did my mounts. :banghead:
    edited October 2003
    I just ordered the computer parts from newegg.

ANTEC Performance PLUS Model PLUS1080AMG- with Antec Original TRUE 430W P4 Power Supply ATX12V Retail $127.00
    Thermaltake 90X90X25mm FAN, 2 Ball Bearing, 2850+/- 10% RPM, 56CFM Air Flow, with 3pin/4pin adapter. Retail. $5.99
    Thermalright SLK-947-U ( Heatsink ONLY ). All Copper heat spread. Intel: Pentium-4 socket-478 1.8 GHz to 3.06 GHz and above. AMD: All Duron, Tbred and Barton 3200+ and above. $37.99
    ANTEC All Clear PRO 80mm 4 pin Fan for all 80mm Computer Case cooling requirements 3 quanity $12.75
    Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA WD360GD 10,000 RPM 8MB Hard Drive OEM $110.00
    KINGSTON HyperX 184-pin 512MB DDR400 (PC3200) DDR RAM modules, Model# KHX3200A/512 2 quanity $250.00
    ABIT NF7-S ,nForce2 SPP chipset Support AMD Socket A with 200/266/333 FSB ,8X AGP,SATA 150 ATX motherboard Retail
    $112.00
    AMD ATHLON XP 2600+ Barton 333MHz FSB PROCESSOR CPU- OEM $99.00

total with shipping $ 759.73

Primesuspect came into my place of bussiness two days ago and said that my current ide hard drive would bottle neck my whole system, so I tacked on a ata serial. More money.

This computer better be current for the next 10 years. Thanks for your help all.
    edited October 2003
    10 years? I give it 10 days, tops. :D;D
    edited October 2003
    Looks great! :D

Ya did well M8! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Just know that LDC had a 10gb ata/33 hard drive that he was gonna stick in this thing....

Bottleneck isn't really the word.... More like a brick wall... ;)
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited October 2003
    Is that even 7200 RPM?
    edited October 2003
    SimGuy had this to say
    Is that even 7200 RPM?

Oh SimGuy I'm sorry but can't resist.......

;D;D;D
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    mtgoat had this to say
    SimGuy had this to say
    Is that even 7200 RPM?

Oh SimGuy I'm sorry but can't resist.......

;D;D;D

He's right, theres about a 90% chance that that drive is a 5400RPM drive, which really would suck the preverbial big one.

NS
    edited October 2003
    I looked on my hard drive and one the label I cannot find the RPM.

It is a W. D. Spartan 102AA
    edited October 2003
    A Google search revealed the following specifactions for your hard drive "102AA 10.26GB [5400RPM] 2 GMR heads * ". It's a Western Digital, probably manufactured in 1999. Supposedly it's rock solid reliable; but it's a rather slow drive.