Windows Vista pre-RC1 ISO available to first 100,000 downloaders

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Science & Tech

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I gots mine this morning :) I guess they are only letting 100,000 DL's will be installing it tonight :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Where's the 64-Bit verion?

(Gift horse, and all that... ;) )
    edited August 2006
    DX 10 Justice! Just thought I would post a few teaser images :)
    edited August 2006
    And some More :)
    edited August 2006
    I will be testing to see what app's I currently own that will run on Vista tonight. From what I hear most games from XP will play on Vista.. we will find out if that is true :)
    edited August 2006
    Nice pics, Sledgie. How does it seem performance-wise?
    edited August 2006
    She is very much stream lined, as the beta version I have worked with before were always slow in response and or didn't work.... so far every feature I am trying to use works, it runs the apps pretty dang fast and thus far hasn't had any kickups. The install on this machine took about 22 minutes total, and I selected the Install for Windows Vista Ultimate Edition, the install gave me a choice of all the Vista versions, but I wanted the full boat...

If any one has questions feel free to ask, as I have no idea where to even start to play with this new OS... lots of new features all over, I mean I have no idea where to even start. I will say thus far I am very impressed with the amount of detail and features included, and within 5 minutes of using this version, I know I will buy a few copies of the final version.

I also wanted to note, It found all my hardware devices and had the correct drivers for it. I didn't get any found new hardware bullcrap...
    edited August 2006
    Update:
    I wanted to see how the built in Sync software worked with my new Sprint PPC6700 ... Well I plugged it in, It found the hardware, and sync'ed right up no additional software needed.
    edited August 2006
    LOL..

I thought this was a really cool feature. Instead of windows giving you basic options for the Interface you can customize the color layout and transparency of the new look. and the new Icons kick Butt!
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited August 2006
    I have a few questions about this:
    1) Can I close firefox and have this thing download it when I reopen?
    2) Can I just keep my existing progs and somehow run them on XP, sort of like updating from XP SP1 to SP2, but with the whole OS.
    3) If #2 is not possible, how do I make it show up in GRUB at boot so I can chose to load it or XP, and can I still access my programs through Documents and Settings.

GLad to be one of the first 100,000.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I got mine in the email yesterday, I downloaded it even though I was not too sure if it was real or not. Didn't wanna pass the chance ;)

I'll have to install it later when I can get a free partition or hdd.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    At 70% downloaded.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    77.3%

i see it says pre-rc1...so when is rc1 and how much different it gonna be?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    fatcat6 wrote:
    77.3%

i see it says pre-rc1...so when is rc1 and how much different it gonna be?

1. We don't know. See 2.
    2. See 1.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited August 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    1. We don't know. See 2.
    2. See 1.
    Don't you have a real talent answering people's questions Thrax. :respect:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I don't really care what you intended to accomplish with that post, however I gave him the correct answer.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    haha...true

just wondering why you would release a pre-rc1 if rc1 was just around the corner. unless rc1 is going to be like october.
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    What is the size of the file?
    My download manager just says "unknown file size"
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    almost 3gb
    edited August 2006
    Also: Be aware that this must be downloaded onto an NTFS or Mac HFS+ filesystem, because FAT32 can't support files bigger than 2gb.
    edited August 2006
    It is 2.58Gb in size from the Download.... It took me about 3 1/2 hours to get it here at work.
    edited August 2006
    You guys and your "close enough is good enough" attitudes... :shakehead

It is exactly 2,771,730,432 bytes.

On. The. Nail. ;D
    edited August 2006
    Actually mine says:

2.58 GB (2,771,730,443 bytes)
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thanks guys. I had to laugh at "it took me almost 3 1/2 hours to get it here at work" I've been downloading for close on 1 1/2 hours and I'm at a whopping 176 MB. My heart bleeds for you Sledge ;D
    edited August 2006
    I think I got it Downloading within 5 minutes of the news release... I think I was one of the first few as the first 1 1/2 GB's were DL'ed in 1 hour :)
    edited August 2006
    Actually mine says:

2.58 GB (2,771,730,443 bytes)
    Damn that Gates - he owes me 11 bytes! :rant:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Well I have it installed now too, it is much snappier, AND I am working on trying to get an old game of mine running. So far it's going better than XP did, I now have the game installed lol. Good ol' MechWarrior 2

Now that I have it, I dunno what to try. Maybe 3D Mark... see what kinda score I get.
    edited September 2006
    Seems to run very well on my system. It found drivers for everything except for nvidia memory controller and ATK101 utility (cool n' quiet, I think) - although on next reboot, it found them on windowsupdate, downloaded them, and installed them. Only driver it didn't find was my scanner - Epson Perfection Photo 3170. I downloaded the WinXP driver and it works fine. All my hardware is now installed.

I really don't like IE7. Too many "warnings" - are you sure you want to do this, are you sure you want to do that, look up here, etc. I'm installed firefox right now.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    It didn't find all the drivers for my laptop, but it did find every single driver for my desktop.

Unfortunatly the AP at work has a hidden SSID, and while I know the SSID the windows builtin utility doesn't seem to like to connect to it. And Intel doesn't seem to have a vista compadable Proset utility.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    in a few days im going to install it on an older system (p4 2.53ghz and 1 gig of pc2100 ram with a 9800pro) i will tell u guys how i like it...the last time around i thought it was fairly slow and clunky