Windows Vista pre-RC1 ISO available to first 100,000 downloaders

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Got it running. Seems much smoother and faster than Beta 2. I couldn't install PC-cillin in Beta 2, it would hang during the scan. Recognized my printer right away. Downloading nForce4 drivers right now so it will recognize my RAID array.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Anyone manage to get Nero running? Or any CD Burning software? Appearently Nero is a known issue though, just curious.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    O<xyz>MF</xyz>GWTF! I installed the SATA and RAID drivers and it borked my XP installation.:scratch: I couldn't even do a repair install.:shakehead
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    What MB was that with?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    KwitCo™ wrote:
    O<xyz>MF</xyz>GWTF! I installed the SATA and RAID drivers and it borked my XP installation.:scratch: I couldn't even do a repair install.:shakehead

I have yet to figure out how to reboot in WinXP as well, I even unplugged the HDD with XP on it during install. WTF?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Is the BSOD still the same? Have they finally changed it to maybe a RSOD or a YSOD? GSOD might be nice and relaxing.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    csimon wrote:
    Is the BSOD still the same? Have they finally changed it to maybe a RSOD or a YSOD? GSOD might be nice and relaxing.

Haven't seen one yet... when it does crash though my screen just goes blank.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    What is the speed and responsiveness like in comparison to XP?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    yeah some benches might help!
  • edited September 2006
    I second (third?) that. I want to see how things compare with XP in 3DMark 06, Half Life 2, and maybe F.E.A.R.
  • edited September 2006
    Also: RC1 is now available (since Sept 1st). Google around and you should be able to find it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I'm going to dual-boot Vista RC1 and XP SP2 on my new computer, I should have benchmarks for you guys by the middle of the week.
    edited September 2006
    Well, benchmarks are useful but I also mean how does it 'feel'. Is it nippy or does it feel sluggish, smooth and sleek or groggy and slow? (all in comparison to XP I mean). Although the lockdown and DRM extras concern me quite a bit.
    edited September 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Well, benchmarks are useful but I also mean how does it 'feel'. Is it nippy or does it feel sluggish, smooth and sleek or groggy and slow? (all in comparison to XP I mean). Although the lockdown and DRM extras concern me quite a bit.

That's the big thing putting me off too, Ben. I don't care so much that it's an update to Windows XP for the end user, I can get by that as the improvements are pretty and helpful (Although, for $400, I dunno...), but all the integrated DRM really horrifies me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    It feels very well done. It feels extremely "snappy" to me. The only problems I've had so far are bluescreen when the computer is put into sleep mode. I don't normally use power saving options, but I'm putting it through its paces. When the computer goes to sleep, it wakes up to a bluescreen.

Beta drivers for power management, I'm assuming.
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited September 2006
    Might seem like a silly question, but does the current 5.02 folding client work on it.

And if so.....any speed increase?

Later

PS: I missed out on getting it.:(
    edited September 2006
    I didn't get a CD-Key for it. Do I need one? Did I inadvertently miss it on the download page? Did I n00b up?
    edited September 2006
    I didn't get one either (CD-Key)

F@H works on it, the graphical one.. I can't get the console version service installer to work.

Also: HijackThis TOTALLY barfs on Vista ;D It has no idea what to do with it.
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited September 2006
    I didn't get one either (CD-Key)

F@H works on it, the graphical one.. I can't get the console version service installer to work.

Also: HijackThis TOTALLY barfs on Vista ;D It has no idea what to do with it.

Hopefully RC1 will address those issues, though the ever tightening security at the users end is a bit of a worry.

Shal
  • edited September 2006
    I have the 64-bit version of RC1 almost downloaded. I'll try to get benchmarks tonight.
  • edited September 2006
    Guess I won't be able to test 3DMark in Vista64 since OpenAL won't install correctly. Judging by the performance of HL2 Ep One I doubt the score would be very high anyhow.
    edited September 2006
    According to Paul Thurrott whose Vista blog I have been following to provide ammunition in my "SP3" crusade, the RC1 of Vista can be qualified as this:
    OK, there is one caveat. If you try to install an x64 version of Windows Vista, well, God help you. I have no idea what Microsoft was thinking with these products, but after getting over my initial euphoria at how good the hardware support was, I descended quite quickly into software compatibility hell. So unless I mention it explicitly, all the good news here applies solely to standard 32-bit (x86) Vista versions. The x64 stuff is still a nightmare. My guess is that it will always be a nightmare. So unless you have some specific workstation-type needs for more than 4 GB of RAM and very specific applications, please just skip out on x64 Vista versions entirely. There's no happy ending there and your sanity hangs in the balance.
    Read it: Here
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Thrax, that's the most disappointing thing I've heard about Vista yet. Making the jump to a 64-Bit OS would be the major reason I would buy it.

Hopefully they'll get on the stick. :(
    edited September 2006
    I'm not really too concerned, honestly. Even after all this time spent developing 64Bit, the merits are still up in the air. Nothing has truly (For the end users like us) a quantum leap by doubling the bits, so I'm not really worried.
    edited September 2006
    Well, encoding/encryption and decoding/decryption are boosted massively but other than that everything is pretty much the same apparently so yeah, much ado about nothing. At least on Linux there are only a few apps that don't work on 64bit (most of them being emulators that use 32bit ASM).
  • edited September 2006
    I got Vista X86 installed and running last night. So far the only devices I can't seem to get working are my TV tuner card and some components of my soundcard.

The tuner card is Bt878 based and is only supported by user made drivers so I'm not too suprised its drivers are a little slow out the door, and the Audigy 2 ZS itself works, but the firewire and joystick ports don't yet function, which isn't a problem since I have no use for them.

I can't find any nVidia overclocking software capable of working in Vista which is hampering my ability to perform a 1:1 benchmark, but from what I've seen in standard speed things look to be just as fast as XP. I'm curious to see the results others have.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I am getting angry at vista more and more!!! I cannot get my XP install to work... waiting on CHKDSK to run as per Thrax's repair in 8 steps guide, but it ain't looking good. I even unplugged the HDD with XP on it while installing and running VISTA! WTF!? Last time I had to reinstall windows all over again... rrr
    edited September 2006
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Downloaded it 4 nights ago, I think M$ is doing this so that people dont go crazy putting this stuff around the web. Though, I have one question, there really wasnt much of a pause between pre-RC1 and RC1, how many fixes could they have really made?

EDIT: Do you have to have a serial #? it didnt give me one.:skeptic:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    they could have "finished" pre-rc1 before they released it.

also;

M$? heh.