Who are you?

Comments

• edited December 2006
    Hey everyone, I've been running the console version of Folding@Home on my linux box for about a month now and although I have never posted much here I remember you guys had a team so I thought I'd join in. :)
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited December 2006
    dragonV8 wrote:
    Welcome Jared. A Dragon of ANY sorts is a good thing.:)

Now why did i know you were going say something like that eh? :D

All we need now is a DadDragon, then dragonV8 will be in his glory. Cause then we will have Dragons all over the place. :vimp:

Niah! Niah! Niaahhhhhh!!!!!

Later
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited December 2006
    Welcome to Team Short-Media fatsheep, :) thanks for joining in our fight for the cure.

Enjoy your stay, we are a friendly bunch around heah "crazy" but friendly.

Later :)
  • sim2340sim2340 Bisley,Woking,Surrey
    edited December 2006
    Name Simon Byers

Age 17

Address Bisley,Woking
    County Surrey

Great Britain

Occupation Horticulturist at merrist wood college
    Lv 2 Horticulture course

I enjoy playing computer games and building computers. I have many family members in Texas and Kansas. I am a christian since summer 2006 when i went to see them and got baptised and saved very exciting!
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited December 2006
    Welcome indeed to Short-Media and we hope to welcome you soon to Team 93.

The finest laid back but innovative and forward looking team on the WWW. :ukflag:

Several UK members too, including the co-founder who will no doubt be along shortly ( no pun intended honest mate. :buck: )
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    welcome!
  • Calypso01Calypso01 Paradise
    edited December 2006
    just imbA in Dota!!!!
    Phantom Lancer imbA!
    hey ... can i join to team93? and why team93 ? not team777?!:crazy:
  • RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
    edited January 2007
    Name: Jordan Rivest
    Occupation: Supv in a call center for a small cellular company (going on 4.5 yrs). Which handles calls for two other companys (which compeate against each other - go figure). One of the companys I do work for is a Wimax ISP. Fairly intresting.
    Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada - aka the frozen north & in the middle of butt**** nowhere

Interests: Hockey, Hockey, and more hockey. I can't play it (knee injury), but I'm a great arm-chair GM (arn't we all?), and love to watch it. My favorite player is Sidney Crosby, and I watch many of their games. I guess I could say I'm a hockey nut. Along with that, I enjoy spending time gaming. When I had internet at home it was CS. Now it's one of several games (GTA San Andreas, NFS Carbon, EMH2007). I also like playing around with computers (read breaking them). My spending habits on computers usually goes in spurts. The system in my sig, just happens to be my latest one (in 2 yrs). But seeing how I've already found things I want to change, it probably won't be my last.

General info: I grew up in Prince George BC, and moved up to Whitehorse after I graded in 2000 (seems like a long time ago - wow). Other than occasionally camping (maybe a couple times a yr), and some biking, I hate the outdoors. I'm not into hiking, hunting or any of the outdoor winter sports. The summers suck, and are cold, and short. And it never gets dark (I **** you not). The winters are long (very very long), and ****ing cold. Last week, I woke up to -37C (car would barly start). Joy. And it's usually dark all day long (I haven't worn sunglass's in several months). And even with the money aside (which is pretty good - makes up for everything being overpriced), I just love it up here, and don't really see myself some where else.

College is dirt cheep up here (thank you federal gov't), I spent around $3,500 in 2 yrs, including books & supplies. During those two years I was taking computer studies. Unfortunatly due to my living situtation, I wasn't able to finish the program. So instead I went back to work full time with NMI Mobility (a subsidary of Bell Mobility), and bought a little trailer/mobile home about 5 minutes from work. The place will be paid for in 5yrs, and then I'll almost definately be going back to school. I have no clue what I want to do (probably won't be the computer studies program).

However with the current job paying all the bills, and leaving enought to waste on new electronic toys (doesn't everyone need a 42" plasma?), and other much needed items (new computer & LCD Monitor). I don't feel any need to run back anytime soon.

Back in Prince George, I have 2 younger brothers, who are 16 & 12, and they live with my mom & step-father. Here in Whitehorse, I have a 14.5yr old sister (going on 25) who I spoil a lot and am very close to, and a 13 yr old brother, who everyone thinks of as a little ****er. But we get along ok. And I'm teaching him what little I know about computers, and how to put them together.

I started folding for Team 93 (tonight). I'm gonna keep my work desktop folding 24/7 (work pays for that power bill). But I'm leary of leaving my home system on like that... now that I get to pay my own power bill :cry: (would I see much of an increass using the system below - has a 600 watt P/S?).

I found this site while looking for answers about my RAID issue in the new system. But everyone was so friendly that I had to stay. So here I am. Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm into hockey?
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited January 2007
    Welcome to the team Riptide. Be sure to pick up a folding sig once you complete your first WU as well :) Thank you for folding for a cure.
  • urdurd
    edited January 2007
    Hiya,
    urd here

I kinda started lurking around here after i've googled for M2N32 SLI Deluxe's issues and the big ass thread here was quite helpful :D . I sort of knew about what Folding@Home was all about but never cared to research more. After i've seen all those Sigs, i kinda started thinking what's this all about. I stumbled upon this section and then downloaded the utility and voilah..

I just have one question... Usually I prefer having as low temps as possible but after starting the folding thing at load my temps are as high as 47 or so.. and at idle somewhere around 45.. I've never planned to run a constant load utility aside some BT clients. Only one or two days stress testing was the max i've ever done. So was wondering if there is anything i should be worrying about?

That's about it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Urd! Thanks for joining the team :)

As you know, I also have the M2N32-SLI Deluxe ;) Running constantly at 47-49 is not a concern for me. I have always, from the moment I build a machine, run both cores at 100%. With adequate cooling, there are no issues. If your temps are 47, that indicates adequate cooling for full load :)
  • urdurd
    edited January 2007
    I see. I guess it's all good then :)
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Greetings & Salutations all...

I'm Charlie from Windsor Nova Scotia...
    It all started a few years ago with an Apple][+, C64, 1040ST... I digress :o

Computer Technician in my 9to5, electronics as a hobby (Not as much as i'd like though... way too much 9to5 gets in the way :) )

Been lurking here for a little while and found a lot of great answers and very interesting reading. My folding box which had a previous score of 161857 for another team is now under the control of Team 93 :rockon:

For some reason my SIG wont work... (Cut and Pasted from the Generator) :(

Looks like a great bunch of folks here, mind if I take my hat off and sit a spell?
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    troll wrote:
    Looks like a great bunch of folks here, mind if I take my hat off and sit a spell?
    Absolutely! And welcome!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    troll wrote:
    Greetings & Salutations all...
    Welcome to The Team! :D
    For some reason my SIG wont work... (Cut and Pasted from the Generator)...
    See the award-winning signature fixer post. :thumbsup::fold:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    It won awards!
    edited January 2007
    It won awards!
    Heck yeah, it did! :D
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    profdlp wrote:
    See the award-winning signature fixer post. :thumbsup::fold:

Sweet! Much Thanks!
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited February 2007
    Hi Folk's been meaning to puts some point's here for a while, but thanks to reading RWB's post in the SM pub. about his neighbor's fire MY wife and I are still alive so time to ante up, one core of a e6400 for team 93 might add more later .
    the name is Chris location Scotland and position glad to be alive

btw 1st wu should be inbound in the morning
    1st wu inbound next update:bigggrin:
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited February 2007
    Hi Scotish person. Is it true the Scotish work units are deep fried?
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited February 2007
    bothered wrote:
    Hi Scotish person. Is it true the Scotish work units are deep fried?
    Nope just a little smoked, it is Marsbars that get deep fried.:o :eek: :bigggrin:
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Welcome and Thank You to all the new members folding for S-M.
    It's a great thing your doing to thwart a bunch of deadly diseases.
    And we're very happy to have you as members of Short-Media.
    WE hope you enjoy the site and all the diverse members from around the world.
  • edited February 2007
    Hey Guys
    I don't know for sure who's the oldest? I know all of the post that I read and there are lots youal made me feel old. I am 52 married 2 kids that left home went to school and came back like yo yos. I work for a magnetic tape manufacturing company in Opelika Al. been here for 25 years. I work with plcs and automated equipment. Just happen to run across this forum and thought I would join.
    DrDavid:bigggrin:
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited February 2007
    :wave: Welcome drdavid glad to have you on board :) Some of us are silver surfers, young at heart, & willing to learn and share knowledge.
    :)
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited February 2007
    drdavid wrote:
    Hey Guys
    I don't know for sure who's the oldest? I am 52 married 2 kids that left home went to school and came back like yo yos.
    DrDavid:bigggrin:

Trust me doc! You are far from taking my distinctive honor from me. I am the oldest in age of all the members of Team Short-Media. :cool: I am also one of the least knowledgeable - and I would guess the one closest to absolute poverty. All I have is a wonderful wife (now over 5 years cancer free) who is very understanding when I declare that I have built my last computer. :cool2: She just smiles - after 46 years she knows me pretty well. :wink: Welcome to the team - and remember, you can never have too many computers. :fold::fold: Jack
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited February 2007
    witenoiz wrote: »
    Trust me doc! You are far from taking my distinctive honor from me. I am the oldest in age of all the members of Team Short-Media. :cool: I am also one of the least knowledgeable - and I would guess the one closest to absolute poverty. All I have is a wonderful wife (now over 5 years cancer free) who is very understanding when I declare that I have built my last computer. :cool2: She just smiles - after 46 years she knows me pretty well. :wink: Welcome to the team - and remember, you can never have too many computers. :fold::fold: Jack

G'day doc. I do believe witenoiz to be correct about being the oldest @ SM.
    I have 8 yrs on you so basically, consider yourself to be a youngster.:)

Oh, and i know less than witenoiz.;D
    edited February 2007
    Welcome, drdavid! :wave:
  • IAstudentIAstudent Iowa City, IA USA
    edited February 2007
    Hiya to all you out there in folding land!

Where to start? If you know your U.S. state abbreviations, you're one step ahead. I spend most of my life as a student at the University of Iowa, majoring in biology with a focus on genetics. Outside of that, I tend to do a lot of online gaming in my spare time. Also big on the reading part, whether it's nonfiction or fiction.

I'm also involved in my university's American Sign Language club (ASL being my foreign language requirement of choice) and the local American Indian Student Association (I took several courses under one of our native studies department heads).

I'm hoping to put in my two bits of folding, no matter how small they may be.
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited February 2007
    Welcome to S-M IAstudent :clap: I was born in a little town called Rinard, Iowa - and I attended Iowa U for a very short time in the mid '50's. Iowa City has to be one of the hilly-ist cities in the world. But what a great school. Glad to have you with us on Team 93 :fold: Jack
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Urd, Troll, Spike09, and DrDavid -- welcome to all of you. This team has been cracking since around 2000. We have a sense of community, care about other, care about philanthropy, and enjoy the technical permutations of Folding@Home and the attendant tweaking and building of computers. Your are now amongst friends. It's not 'us' and 'you'...it's just us. Thanks for joining.