Who are you?

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Welcome everyone. The team really appreciates ever CPU and member. Every little bit helps. :thumbsup:
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited September 2006
    Just flew back in from work after 2 weeks of no internet and low and behold, my little sister is here too.:thumbsup:

Great to see you saying hello and putting your comp to work for such a wonderful and worthwhile cause. :)

Welcome to Short-Media Annette and anyone else i may have missed saying hello to as well.

F:fold:LD on.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Hey, I'm Dan. I'm in grad school with QCH2002, and he got me on folding with team #93 here.

I'm a net admin and just figured out how to push out FAH via active directory. You can read about it here:
    http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?p=145078#145078

I've just started folding this past week, and hope to make a good contribution. we'll see how it goes! :-)

Oh, and I'm also senior editor / admin over at geeklimit.com.

See ya around!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Dan, welcome! Thank you for joining our time.
    Hey, I'm Dan. I'm...
    Sorry, but there is no 12-step program for this addiction. If only all addictions did so much good and were so much fun. :cool:
    edited September 2006
    As I've spoken in email and forum.folding-community...

Thank you for attacking the Domain Deployment issue and putting all the effort into this new endeavor. The project and this team REALLY appreciates everything you put towards F@H. Welcome to Team #93!!!
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Dan,
    Welcome to Short-Media and Team 93.
    Wow! That's some project you took on to set up all the labs!
    Thank You very much for the contribution to folding and to Team 93.
    Hope you enjoy our worldwide community family here.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Hey, I'm Dan. I'm in grad school with QCH2002, and he got me on folding with team #93 here.

I'm a net admin and just figured out how to push out FAH via active directory. You can read about it here:
    http://forum.folding-community.org/viewtopic.php?p=145078#145078

I've just started folding this past week, and hope to make a good contribution. we'll see how it goes! :-)

Oh, and I'm also senior editor / admin over at geeklimit.com.

See ya around!
    Welcome to the team tech ...I'll have to finish that thread when I get home but it looks very interesting. Sounds like you have a nice size lab to play with. Good luck and don't pass me too soon! :fold:
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited September 2006
    I'm a net admin and just figured out how to push out FAH via active directory....

Oh man I do a lot of AD pushes, and we have about 40,000 clients nation wide, how cool would it be if they let me package and push it to all of them? :rockon:

Too bad they would fire me for it, but it's almost worth it.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    Hey, I'm Dan. I'm in grad school with QCH2002...
    Of all the stories in this thread, that has got to be one of the saddest. For many of us, people like Quinton are why we Fold. :bawling:

I'm a friend of his, too - can you tell? :crazy::vimp:
  • edited September 2006
    Woot Jon's here!

Hey I downloaded the proggie and it's now folding in the background. Maybe it can fold my washing.

I know, bad joke lol

Welcome to the other new members. I see that my clunker is handling this programme rather nicely..
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited September 2006
    Woot Jon's here!

Hey I downloaded the proggie and it's now folding in the background. Maybe it can fold my washing.

I know, bad joke lol

Welcome to the other new members. I see that my clunker is handling this programme rather nicely..

Trust me when i say the thought crossed my mind as well. :bigggrin:

Ah well, wishfull thinking is free.:)

Later Annette
    edited September 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Of all the stories in this thread, that has got to be one of the saddest. For many of us, people like Quinton are why we Fold. :bawling:

I'm a friend of his, too - can you tell? :crazy::vimp:
    I knew I should check back on this thread.... thanks Prof. It's about time you get me back for all the jokes, pokes, and stuff.... like this one... ;D

attachment.php?attachmentid=18038&d=1130956878
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited September 2006
    Thanks QCH2002,

I was drinking a full glass of pineapple juice. Now i gotta clean up da mess. :-/

Later
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    ;D I never get tired of laughing at that picture.
    At least Prof can boast at having a killer body :D
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited September 2006
    What gets me is, how can anyone with such a young body look so old.;D
  • edited September 2006
    bahahahahahah...

Can I do that? I need a bod like that one...
    edited September 2006
    :topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic::topic:

(Yeah, I know - I started it... ;) )
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    Prof, you ARE the reason they invented paper sacks. :D
    edited September 2006
    Prof, you ARE the reason they invented paper sacks. :D
    You'd think I'd at least get royalties on the patent. :-/
  • edited September 2006
    ..ok be patient with me...

I've got the proggie folding in the background and I've put 93 in the team number so that means this team right?

It was team 0 before but I realised that everyone here has #93 somewhere in their sigs or avvies ... so I put 93 in mine.

What's the fraction that appears when you sit your pointer on the little wheel in the system tray? Mine says F@H: working (99/500)..will I have accomplished something when it hits 500? It's been on 99 all morning ..

Yesterday I left my puter for a few hours and when I came back I could hardly move my pointer... I looked in task manager and it stated that F@H was using 98% of my cpu! ... I rebooted and it wouldn't load the programme properly so I rebooted again and no probs.

Is it because I've got a slow clunker? Did F@H think "oh she's going out so we can hog the cpu while she isn't doing anything"..? :smokin:
    edited September 2006
    ...What's the fraction that appears when you sit your pointer on the little wheel in the system tray? Mine says F@H: working (99/500)..will I have accomplished something when it hits 500? It's been on 99 all morning...
    Work Units (WU's) are divided into frames. The number of frames varies from WU to WU. In this case, once you finish the 500th frame you will have completed the WU, at which point the finished work will be returned to Stanford U. and you will be awarded the points that it is worth. Then a new one will be automatically downloaded and you'll begin the process all over again. If you look in the Folding signature many of have you might see the number of WU's listed along with the total number of points we have accumulated.
    Yesterday I left my puter for a few hours and when I came back I could hardly move my pointer... I looked in task manager and it stated that F@H was using 98% of my cpu! ... I rebooted and it wouldn't load the programme properly so I rebooted again and no probs.

Is it because I've got a slow clunker? Did F@H think "oh she's going out so we can hog the cpu while she isn't doing anything"..? :smokin:
    Folding uses whatever resources are not in use by other programs at the time, so yes, it did decide to hog the whole CPU. :vimp:

It will also automatically back off as you do other things with the computer. Tasks like surfing the Internet and reading email actually require very little in the way of processing power, so 98% is not an unreasonable mark. If you have a more CPU-intensive program open it will be much lower. While playing a demanding game or doing something like video rendering (both highly CPU-intensive tasks), FAH will drop off to practically nothing. Once you close the programs it ramps back up into high gear. :)
  • edited October 2006
    ok thanks for that.

I've booted up the puter today and the mouse was frozen on the screen... dang.. had to reboot a bootup.
    edited October 2006
    What does your CPU temperature look like? Running at near 100% it is going to get kind of toasty, which could explain the freezing. (Sounds odd when put that way, doesn't it?)

If you haven't cleaned the CPU fan and heatsink in a while that would be a good place to start. :)
  • edited October 2006
    lol freezing due to the comp hotting up...

I wouldn't even know HOW to clean the fan and heatsink.

Jon came over the other day and looked at my other not working comp...

It's given me the inspiration to finally get it fixed! (seeing as it has a legit xp on it and it hasn't been updated in three weeks)
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    just turn the machine off, take the heatsink off. usually can be done with your fingers or sometimes you need a flathead screwdriver. use some rubbing alcohol or i like mineral spirits myself to clear off any old thermal compound or grease. then i would just take the fan off and run the heatsink under the water in the sink. get a can of co2 or just wipe the fins off on the fan. let it dry off, put some new thermal grease on the cpu and put the heatsink back on. not too hard. usually something good to do once a month or so, maybe more often if you have pets. just google cleaning heatsink and youll get some more involved guides to cleaning out your computer with pics and stuff. good luck
    edited October 2006
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']just turn the machine off, take the heatsink off. usually can be done with your fingers or sometimes you need a flathead screwdriver. use some rubbing alcohol or i like mineral spirits myself to clear off any old thermal compound or grease. then i would just take the fan off and run the heatsink under the water in the sink. get a can of co2 or just wipe the fins off on the fan. let it dry off, put some new thermal grease on the cpu and put the heatsink back on. not too hard. usually something good to do once a month or so, maybe more often if you have pets. just google cleaning heatsink and youll get some more involved guides to cleaning out your computer with pics and stuff. good luck

:eek:

if you're not familiar with computer repair, try buying a can of compressed air, taking the outside panels off and blowing it out in the garage!
    edited October 2006
    :eek:

if you're not familiar with computer repair, try buying a can of compressed air, taking the outside panels off and blowing it out in the garage!

This doesnt really fall under the computer repair categorie. This is more of a basic pc maintenance issue that should be done regularly to avoid other problems. Sadly some people are a little scared of the confuser and dont clean their computer regularly and pay out the back side to replace parts that fail due to overheating.
    edited October 2006
    I'd definitely say that properly removing thermal paste and re-applying arctic silver 5 or something (properly) is something that is beyond basic maintenance.

Aussie, if you're not familiar with machine repair, please don't do this. a simple can of air is all you need to clean the inside of the machine. If the fan on the processor's heatsink isn't turning or makes noise, it's a cheap replacement, go for it.

If you honestly don't need the machine, you can have your friend show you how to apply new thermal paste, but it would be an educational exercise only, it is not neccessary as part of regular maintenance. I've personally managed over a thousand machines over the last three years, and have never once needed to mess with the thermal paste to solve an overheating issue.
    edited October 2006
    If you take the heat sink off youll need to put thermal paste on, and ive worked on a few pcs where a off set heat sink or badly applied thermal paste was causing an overheating issue.

and excuse me, i just realized this debate is going on in the wrong thread.
    edited October 2006
    Annette, it's dust. You don't need to remove any components, just blow the fins out with a can of compressed air so air can get through where the dust clogs used to be.

Welcome, and hope to see you up soon!