Throwdown: FoldingAddict

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I have F@H running on 2 dual core xeon 5110 machines, and the are publishing workstations, and mostly they run photoshop. and I cant notice any performance hit, and if there is a minute on, it is fine with me, I have them running close to 24 hours a day now. it is nice. I'm getting a nice jump in ppd. I just hope that my yearbook adviser buys more before the year is up, so that I can put it on them too. then I will have a farm away from home too.

I would put it on the macs, but they wouldnt do much (imac g3's) and there is only the graphical client, they would choke with it running; hell, they already do choke running ie.:eek3:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    your not running 3DS Max :)
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I gotcha now...nice.

~fA

I think there were a couple others I excluded from the GPO... a weather station machine, and some other science machine...? Maybe a robotics controller box? Basically, stuff I don't want to mess with, and wouldn't give me any WU's anyway...
    edited October 2006
    Well, I pulled down about 1400 points in the last 6 hours...since the power came back on at my main campus...

depressing, but at least I'm hanging on by a fingernail
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited October 2006
    Uh oh....what's this? Newegg has shipped? Wowzers! All the new CPU power should be up by Friday! Hang on TT. :D

~FA
    edited October 2006
    I just sent an email to our IT admin, since we have a new one, maybe I can convince him to do it since the last one was less willing. I think I have a decent chance. I stole part of technocrats letter, and added to it

me wrote:
    Dear Mr. King,

I was thinking about how our machines sometimes sit for hours without doing anything. They're using electricity and not serving any purpose. Obviously it's impractical/unenforceable to start the machines every time we want to use them, and shut them down when we're done.

What about using those unused machines to find cures for diseases? I have been participating in the folding@home project, sponsored by Stanford University, for quite a length of time. I've had the program running in the background of my desktops for about 4 months now, I can't even tell it's there. But when I go look up my stats, I can see it's making a difference.

Watch this, and let me know what you think:
    http://joinfolding.com/video/index.html

This is the link to Stanford website that is up and about the project, you may find more information there, and of course, if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them, or the wonderful people at Short-Media would too; which is an on-line technology community that I belong to and the team that I fold for. I have also added a link to another site that may give you more information.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    http://joinfolding.com/

If you believe that this is a endeavor that you believe that the school might wish to pursue, then I have a friend that is the IT director of three Christian schools, and he has devised a method to push out Folding@Home via active directory. It will push it out to just a set of machines, to the domain, or to the entire directory; which will be seamless and painless. I see it as a way to use our blessings to fulfill our responsibility to others, in a way that isn't disruptive to our people using the machines. I will be awaiting your correspondence.

Sincerely Yours,
    Andy Ingraham
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    That is extremely well written, Andy. Seriously.
    edited October 2006
    That is extremely well written, Andy. Seriously.

Thanks, the only mistake that I caught was:

If you believe that this is a endeavor.

should have been 'an', and I think that I went a little comma crazy at some parts. but this isnt a paper paper, so im not gonna proof read it 10 time to catch every mistake and refine it.

I guess the college English class is paying off after all. though my grandma (retired English teacher/major) says that I can write really well, though I don't think its that good.
    edited October 2006
    I am thinking of sending that to all the IT directors of every small business in my area :)
    edited October 2006
    Good job buddy!

I have offered to a few local schools to come and work for free over a weekend to:

organize their Active Directory into correct OU's and write up their scripts (printer, desktop shortcut, mapped drives). With this setup, they would just need to add new machines/users to the correct OU, and the right people get access to the right stuff.

All I'm asking in return is that they run folding@home on their machines. :-)
    edited October 2006
    To Hard Core,

I think your new Nick name will be the MR. T of Folding for team 93....
    edited October 2006
    Uh oh....what's this? Newegg has shipped? Wowzers! All the new CPU power should be up by Friday! Hang on TT. :D

~FA

:-) Better get it shipped express...I'm back in business!
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&srt=3&t=93

My 3rd campus is getting their electric back tomorrow at noon...

EDIT: I do have a ways to catch up though...
    edited October 2006
    To Hard Core,

I think your new Nick name will be the MR. T of Folding for team 93....

:)

I pity tha foo who don't fold them protein!
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited October 2006
    It's that all you can do technocrat ? :D

I mean you are having 97 computers folding in your name ( :respect: ), but only 3,761 ppd ?

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=the_technocrat

Some folding ppl with only 3 cores, are making almost 500 ppd.

Yesterday when I was looking you had 67 computers, so I suppose we are going to see some seriously increase of the ppd ......

Is your folding park "burning-for-the-crows", and you are looking for help :sweflag:

Please let us know :wink:
    edited October 2006
    Esso wrote:
    It's that all you can do technocrat ? :D

I mean you are having 97 computers folding in your name ( :respect: ), but only 3,761 ppd ?

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=the_technocrat

Some folding ppl with only 3 cores, are making almost 500 ppd.

Yesterday when I was looking you had 67 computers, so I suppose we are going to see some seriously increase of the ppd ......

Is your folding park "burning-for-the-crows", and you are looking for help :sweflag:

Please let us know :wink:

:) The power was out at some of my campuses until 2PM. What you're seeing is 1/3 of the machines making 3761 points in a half-day. :wink:

EDIT: and I've only got 2/3 of the machines running today...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    GOSH... This is ALMOST as fun as I had watching the BEARS/ Seahawks game last Sunday.... ALMOST!!!

Go fold them proteins!!!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Talk about a nice round number! :respect:
    edited October 2006
    oh, it hurts, it hurts! :sad2:

contest.jpg

Really need that third campus up.

On the bright side, I'm seeing WU's come in from my second campus, so that rollout is going well.

...and at my primary campus, we've been back up for about 20 hours, so a few WU's are coming in from there also.

In any case, I'm getting 0wnd!! (But at least my line (blue) is turning the right way... :sad2: )
    edited October 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Talk about a nice round number! :respect:

...and remember how I said that machines 'report in' when they get installed with FAH, by putting a text file in a network share?

Guess how many files are in that share today?

:grr:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    164?!!!!!!! :hair:
    edited October 2006
    164 cpu's..... ummm... I am sending that letter now dammit :)

Well lets see how your 164 compair to our combined 135 and growing list :)

I have also added The Throw Down chart :)
    edited October 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    164?!!!!!!! :hair:

:rockon:

I'll post a new count when the third campus gets its power back. I gotta catch up!

(also note that about 5 of these files have 2 instances of FAH inside... those are my HTing servers... So the total number of cores folding are about 169.

On the unfortunate side, some of these machines aren't on 24/7. The number of machines that are only on for a few hours at a time (mostly science labs) are probably about 45...with an additional 30 laptops that are installed, but usually on battery, so no folding... :(

SO... end total ends up being an install base of 169, but a useful folding farm of about 95 machines. Until the third campus comes online, that is. Then it should be an install base of about 275 cores, with a useful folding farm of maybe 195 or so...?

I'm finding out that the previous admin didn't clean out old computer names from Active Directory when he was here. That is killing my former estimate of about 400 machines total, which sucks. I literally now have 1200 old computer names now sitting in an 'Orphans' OU, and Active Directory is pretty much cleaned up. What a slob/PITA/idiot/etc...

(oh, and why keep the old computer names active? because he didn't know how to use ghost, and some of the old computer accounts in AD share SID's with new machines in the production environment. Kill the old account, and the new machine has issues...)
    edited October 2006
    164 cpu's..... ummm... I am sending that letter now dammit :)

I have also added The Throw Down chart :)

ooh, 3D! yeah, that daily production chart is pretty painful. I'm on the rebound, though!

(my chart is running total points since the throwdown started, btw)
    edited October 2006
    mine is showing production leaps.. rather than the overall total :)
    edited October 2006
    mine is showing production leaps.. rather than the overall total :)

or lack of leaps, in my case...for now...:tongue:
    edited October 2006
    Should be interesting in the next few days...

So far today (12 hours) I'm trailing you guys by 1600 points, at 2/3 production... :)

All I have to do is stay within firing range for another day or so... :D

unless you guys have any tricks up yer sleeves....
    edited October 2006

rut roh! :hiding:
    edited October 2006
    Whoa! prime just dumped a cogload:
    edited October 2006
    I've got an...erm...interesting development.

It turns out that my 2nd campus wasn't able to access the server at the main campus where I was sharing the FAH install script. Apparently I've been running at 1/3 capacity. :doh:

I'll be at both my remote campuses tomorrow for scheduled visits...I'd better get them folding, I'm getting too far behind!
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited October 2006
    God you suck...1/3 and your putting down numbers like that?!?!?!?

~FA