The Icrontic 30 pound challenge

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I'm not in, but good luck to you guys!!

Don't forget, if you're trying to lose body fat, when doing cardio, you want to be at about 60-70% of your max heart rate (220-your age) to maxamize fat burning, any higher and you get into a different system and most of your energy comes from a different source.
    To get the best of both worlds, interval training is where it's at. Walk/jog to warm up, then sprint as hard as you can for 15 seconds, back to the walk/jog, then go as hard as you can. Do that 4 or 5 times over a 20 minute period, and as you get better, increase the duration of the interval, up to 30 seconds.

Just remember to start slow, and if you even think you have any health issues, talk to your doc first.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Alright I weighed in this morning - 236. I've revised my goal to be a nice even 200.

I have a slight headache today. I think it probably has to do with the drastic adjustment to a new diet. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Snacks that I find work well: cottage cheese, and I love raw snow pea pods. 9:00 pm is the cutoff time for food.

I'm hungry, but I think its more out of habit.

I think I'm going to do my annual COLON BLOW. I warn you right now - that link is disgusting and is not for the faint of heart. It talks about poop in graphic detail. That will give me a 'clean slate', per se.

So tonight, one last light snack, and 50 fiber pills with about half a gallon of water :D

Tomorrow should be a great day ;D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    LOL ...I'm not reading it again.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I weighed myself and my scale says 276. I know that's wrong, so I'm adding 15 lbs to whatever the scale says.

Today's official unofficial weight: 291
    edited January 2007
    Today's pic:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Today's pics:
    DSC_0144_DXO.jpgDSC_0145_DXO.jpg
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    I'd just have to say that I admire you guys immensely for letting it all hang out (so to speak). I know it takes a lot of courage to post a picture of oneself when you're not feeling like you're at your best. If you keep that same courageous attitude throughout your new fitness program you can't help but be successful. :)

Sorry, but I don't think I can come up with any jeering for you at the moment. ;)
    edited January 2007
    Stop the presses! Steve is being sincere!
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    Stop the presses! Steve is being sincere!
    Did you die? :range:
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited January 2007
    Amanda is at school till 10:00 pm tonight. I'll get some pics up ASAP
    edited January 2007
    Well final thoughts on day 1:

I am very optimistic that this will be easier than I thought. I drank 68oz of water today on top of another 24oz in coffee/tea form. The last big cup of tea I drank had no sugar or cream in it.

I've been pissing like a racehorse, though :-/

Anyways, lotsa water, good fiber intake, good diet, mild exercise = 40 pounds? no problem :)
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Good thread i must say. The biggest issue with overweight is that the back takes the hit and i am a prrof of that. At 35, i'm almost crippled with 2 dislocated discs and it hurts like no tomorrow. I have broken 8 bones during the years, 4 of them major, but it's nothing in comparison to a bad back. I'm pretty much exactly .1 tons myself or 220 lbs. 30 pounds less and i'd be close to 85 kilo. Would help tremendously. For once, i would actually be able to see my penor when i shower.
    edited January 2007
    My impressions so far:
    It's entirely possible my scale is correct, but I guess I've lived so long being overweight it's almost as if I don't want to believe I'm capable of weight loss. Since I've started eating better, when I look in the mirror, even thought it's not noticeable, I feel like I'm getting thinner. It's a state of mind, I guess. I've always done the diet for a day, a week, then get frustrated. I've got all of you now to back me, plus I'm doing Weight Watchers, so I've got encouragement all around. I think the biggest mistake I used to make when trying to lose weight was not tell anybody. Now it's out there for the world to see, so I'm compelled to continue, otherwise I'll feel like I'm letting 5 billion other people down besides myself.

And if this isn't encouragement, I don't know what is: for every 50 pounds you lose, you gain back 1" of penor hidden behind all that fat. At least that's what some dude told me after he lost 200 pounds.
    edited January 2007
    "visible inches" ;D
    edited January 2007
    "visible inches" ;D

Hey! visuals count....

..if it looks longer gotta be a ego boost...

Anyway,

This weekend was my future mother-in-law's birthday. We have a surprise party for her. I knew I would be scarfing some food that would not be on the "approved" list, so I weighed myself on Friday morning. I weighed in at 249.2 lbs. I weighed myself again this morning just to see how much damage I had done over the weekend. the scale showed 250.4. I gained 1.2 lbs.

So I'm back to being super strict, drinking the appropriate amount of water, and going back on my gym program.

More later...
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Man I did so well yesterday morning and afternoon... and than I fell flat on my face for dinner... went to Howies Game Shack and had a burger from Islands and than a small pizza... must not do that again....
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Man I did so well yesterday morning and afternoon... and than I fell flat on my face for dinner... went to Howies Game Shack and had a burger from Islands and than a small pizza... must not do that again....
    That's my problem... I do GREAT for a few days then I am stuck in a spot where I have to eat out and !!!BOOM!!! I eat like a pig. :sad2:
    edited January 2007
    Don't sweat a cheat day. We need one. Once a week, allow yourself a cheat day where you eat like you normally used to. Don't stress out over it. Just keep it limited to one day a week and you'll be okay.

Guys, one thing I want to stress is this:

Don't do anything that you can't maintain for life. What we're doing here is not "shock weight loss" just to meet some goal. Make subtle, manageable changes, and each thing you do, think "This is for life." so don't cut yourself off from everything you love and say "I can not drink a Pepsi for the next six months." that's not realistic. If you can't honestly say "I will not drink Pepsi for the rest of my life" then it is not a realistic change. Instead say "Drinking a two liter a day is probably bad. I think one glass a day is manageable for the rest of my life."

We're not trying to kill ourselves here. Just be more sensible and have better lifestyles :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Don't ever let a single failure event cause you to give up on a healthy diet plan. Just like RADA says, that just means it's time to get back on plan afterward.
    edited January 2007
    Lifestyle change. It's all about manageable goals. I'm working on losing just 2-3 pounds per week. Any more I think is crash dieting and unhealthy. By the way, I went to the doctor today and came it at 276, meaning my scale isn't off. I lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks, which is exactly where I want to be.

Now for the grim news. My blood pressure is borderline hypertension (133/88) and my cholesterol and triglycerides are through the roof. I'll be going on Caduet, which is Norvasc and Lipitor in the same pill. My doctor hopes than in 12 weeks, with 24-36 more pounds off, that I won't need the Norvasc, just the Lipitor, and that after a year I won't need either.

I decided to make this change just in time. I've got an 18 month old niece who I want to see grow up. I am courting a great girl who I want to have a long relationship with. I don't want that to end now.
    edited January 2007
    That's why we're doing this :) Diabetes runs on both sides of my family, I am a prime candidate, and I do not want to end up with it. I sort of feel like this is my "last chance" at doing preventative lifestyle change "maintenance".
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    ok im in too! i gotta drop some unwanted weight, its affecting my stamina during stone training.

im not sure if i can drop 30lbs, but im in!! where do i sign?
    edited January 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Don't ever let a single failure event cause you to give up on a healthy diet plan. Just like RADA says, that just means it's time to get back on plan afterward.

Agreed, I missed a couple days at the gym in a row due to scheduling conflicts, but I kept eating right. Then my mother-in-laws birthday party came up, etc... The idea is to not to let these setbacks stop you. Don't let one day become two days, three days, etc...

They say that if you can keep a change in lifestyle going for 21 days it becomes a habit.
    That's why we're doing this Diabetes runs on both sides of my family, I am a prime candidate, and I do not want to end up with it.

High blood pressure and Diabetes runs in my family too. Truth is since I finished school I haven't felt "good". I mean there hasn't been any serious problems, but I just don't feel like myself. I need to make these changes in my life not only for me, but for my fiance, soon to be wife. I owe her at least that much for making my life so wonderful.
    edited January 2007
    I think I'm going to create a seperate set of pages for the participants. A single big thread like this isn't a great way to keep track. We almost each need an individual blog-type page or something. I'll figure something out :wtf:
    edited January 2007
    We'll each have a subdomain blog. primesuspect.short-media.com, kwitko.short-media.com, rada.short-media.com, ad infinitum.
    edited January 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    Now for the grim news. My blood pressure is borderline hypertension (133/88) and my cholesterol and triglycerides are through the roof. I'll be going on Caduet, which is Norvasc and Lipitor in the same pill. My doctor hopes than in 12 weeks, with 24-36 more pounds off, that I won't need the Norvasc, just the Lipitor, and that after a year I won't need either.

You might want to check out some diabetic cookbooks. From experience, when I follow a pseudo-diabetic lifestyle of eating I lose a lot of weight. It really isn't that hard either. most of the things I limit or remove from my menu are foods I should cut back on..

Just a thought, we are in this together bro...
    edited January 2007
    yeah I have honestly stopped drinking soda for 3 days now, and will continue to put soda aside during this time. I really isn't hard for me as I have done it many times before, but it is getting past the one day of headaches that is the hard part, "which I have already done"

One thing I noticed that helped me awhile ago during my soda drop was getting a glass of water with 1/2 Tsp of sugar, that removed the headache during the non sugar time and it never came back :)

Like prime said, lifetime is unrealistic, not drinking it for a few months... realistic :)
    edited January 2007
    Kwitko wrote:
    We'll each have a subdomain blog. primesuspect.short-media.com, kwitko.short-media.com, rada.short-media.com, ad infinitum.

gigantor@short-media.com :)

Good idea Seth if it is possible :)

Not to put to much work on keebs, but I wonder if he could even make a front page look with a blog submittal form :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I think I'm going to create a seperate set of pages for the participants. A single big thread like this isn't a great way to keep track. We almost each need an individual blog-type page or something. I'll figure something out :wtf:

Wouldn't the FitDay logs work for that? You could just link to them all from the first post in the thread or something... simple! ;)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Kwitko wrote:

Actually, that'd be kind of awesome. Pain in the ass to implement, surely, but awesome.