More Production Coming!!!

EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
edited July 2007 in Folding@Home
Sorry guys I have been on a long absence. I am back now and rolled in 30Ghz+ for Team 93. Should be pulling away from the 350points/day quite soon....

Good to be back!!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2007
    Wow! That sounds awesome. :D

Welcome back! :thumbsup::fold:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Enisada, welcome back!

Please tell me some of the 30GHz is dual core! Please! Are you aware that SMP Windows is now available? The points produced by SMP are simply dazzling!
  • EnisadaEnisada Edmonton Member
    edited April 2007
    Really...hmm I may have to do some looking into this SMP madness you speak of.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited April 2007
    Welcome back Enisada.:thumbsup:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    That's sweet, dude.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Welcome back and what an entrance!!!! :wow:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Ensiada! Wow! Awesome to have you back! :D How've you been doing?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Very nice. Watch out folks the Enisada steamroller is heading your way :cool:
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited April 2007
    cheerleader_left.gifYay!!!! Go Teem!!!cheerleader_right.gif
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2007
    :wow:
    edited April 2007
    Well I certainly have been busy...no it is time to get busy folding!!!
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited April 2007
    More points for SMP than for 2 separate processes?

I have one dual-core rig (Opteron 165 @ 2.5) running two separate instances. Would I be better off running 1 SMP?

Also, I have both FAH's throttled to 80% to free up some CPU time for the GPU client I have running. Would be better (points-wise) to run the SMP version of FAH than two separate instances? Should I not GPU fold with SMP or would I just throttle SMP to 80% and continue with GPU folding also?
    Leonardo wrote:
    Are you aware that SMP Windows is now available? The points produced by SMP are simply dazzling!
  • edited April 2007
    a2jfreak wrote:
    More points for SMP than for 2 separate processes?

I have one dual-core rig (Opteron 165 @ 2.5) running two separate instances. Would I be better off running 1 SMP?

Also, I have both FAH's throttled to 80% to free up some CPU time for the GPU client I have running. Would be better (points-wise) to run the SMP version of FAH than two separate instances? Should I not GPU fold with SMP or would I just throttle SMP to 80% and continue with GPU folding also?

You should definitely be running the SMP client. SMP client's production is at least 2-3 times higher than two separate processes running. And you don't need to throttle FAH, it runs at lowest priority meaning that it will interfere with your desktop programs very little. You should not even feel it.

I was planning to test GPU and SMP clients together. My initial experience is that GPU client takes close to half of dual-core CPU computational power. But my evaluation is not final yet. It would be nice to hear from you on this.

Good luck :)
    edited April 2007
    The GPU client will consume 100% of one CPU Core if I let it. I only have a 256MB X1600. I think if I had a 512MB X1950XT that would free up some CPU resources as little system RAM would be used and therefore almost everything could be done on the video card. I throttle the FAH-CPU processes to 80% because they starve the FAH-GPU client (normally under 5% if FAH-CPU is given 100% CPU). This way I see 40%/40%/20% which is fine with me.
    edited April 2007
    Would be better (points-wise) to run the SMP version of FAH than two separate instances?
    Yes. I'm running four computers, all overclocked (100% stable) to 4.0GHz, with SMP. The same machines previously each ran two instances each of F@H. My production, measured in points, has more than doubled.
    edited April 2007
    Looks like I will need to give SMP a try.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Enisada wrote:
    Sorry guys I have been on a long absence. I am back now and rolled in 30Ghz+ for Team 93. Should be pulling away from the 350points/day quite soon....

Good to be back!!

Congrats!

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=21592
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    THAT is a Big jump... welcome back... welcome back, indeed!!! :thumbsup:
    edited April 2007
    Well I hit 10,406 ppd today!!! Horray!!!
    edited April 2007
    I see you found SMP! It's fun, ain't it!
    edited April 2007
    Actually I don't have a single SMP client running yet....I hope to soon though.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2007
    Enisada wrote:
    Well I hit 10,406 ppd today!!! Hooray!!!

:eek2::hair::eek3: :wow: :respect:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2007
    10K? Hehe-

Then you are in for a treat if a bundle of those are multi-cores that can do SMP :thumbsup:
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited April 2007
    Aight, I'm a big n00b. I downloaded the smp client, I downloaded and installed .net (Hated that btw) and ran the install.bat... now what? It's asking me for an account and passord.
    edited April 2007
    The account in which WinSMP runs in MUST have a user name AND login set. There is no getting around it. If you don't want to log in manually when Windows boots:

Go to Run, enter "control userpasswords", and set the account to log on automatically at start. The account in which WinSMP runs must have administrator privileges. I'm also reading that the account under which it is installed must be the administrator account. Sorry, but there are no workarounds on this. Once the points start rolling in though, you won't remember the pain!
    edited April 2007
    Bah I never knew that...I am gonna have to set that up in advance...kinda retarded if you ask me.
    edited April 2007
    kinda retarded if you ask me
    It's a pain. According to the Pande team, .Net framework was the only way they could find the means to get SMP Folding to run in Windows. They consider the accomplishment of actually having WinSMP working to be somewhat of a miracle. The points for SMP are lavish; Stanford considers that justified as apparently the scientifically usable data being returned is voluminous.
    edited April 2007
    I guess....not sure what .Net has to do with it...if it works, o well.

Now that they have a client that isnt completely linear, IE it can split the work between different CPUs/cores, I wonder if it could be used in a beuwulf cluster of sorts. The entire problem with it before was that FAH did one calculation and then used that calcuation for the next....now that it can be split up.....hmmmm....me ponders.
    edited April 2007
    LOL. Well said. WinSMP was the first time I ever had any use whatsoever for .net Framework. I found it so ironic when I went through the SMP Windows instructions - 'hey, I actually finally found a use for .net!.'
    edited April 2007
    I've had to install it for Microsoft Visual Studeo 6, .Net and 2003. With the 2 recent XP installs on the lappy and desktop its the first time since high school I have not had it on a computer.