What fan for the Thermalright SLK-900A ?

BDRBDR
edited November 2003 in Hardware
I'd like a 92mm fan that is low decible (30 or under). What do you recommend?

Comments

• EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited October 2003
    I'd go for an 80mm instead, they work more efficiently IMO.
    Read about my personal experience here: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=57293&highlight=Mech#post57293

Cheers!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    i am gonna be putting a 53cfm mechatronics on mine when it comes in
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    The nice thing about the 92s is how quiet they can be. My concern is the larger spindle area though. I was going to keep using my Tt Smart Fan 2 (80mm), but I have an unlabled 92mm laying around and it's doing real well. About the same temp, and completely inaudible :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    BDR, the recommendation for the 53cfm Mechatronics is excellent. I've tried several fans on my SLK - 80's and 92's of all different specifications, to include tip magnetic driven 80mm fan (almost no hub). The best cooling to sound ratio is the 80mm Mechatronics. Depending though, on your setup, you may do just fine with a lower decibel fan. You might just want to try whatever you've got in the parts bin. Once you monitor the sound and CPU core temp, then take it from there to decide what is needed. The Mechatronics is quiet in the grand scheme of 80mm fans, but there certainly are fans that are considerably quieter.
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2003
    You planning on overclocking or anything?

Think about it this way: the stealth/SLK-900 combo is a huge solid copper thin fin HSF with a 28cfm fan on it. Compare that to an AMD retail HSF, which is either al/cu or solid aluminum, and has at MOST a 20cfm fan. The SLK is going to perform substantially better, even with a low-flow fan.

However, I'd recommend a Sunon KD1209PTB2-6, which is a 3-pin 92mm fan that flows ~45cfm @ ~35dba. They're my favorite 92mm fan, since they're much quieter than their dba rating suggests, and they seem to flow more like 50cfm. And, you can always go to radioshack and pick up the stuff to make a single-channel fanspeed controller for <$10, if the Sunon is too loud.
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, I'll probably overclock using it, but I don't know what on yet.
    It'll be whatever I choose for my next build.
    The SLK-900 just arrived, so I'll put it back until later and think about a fan.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    my slk-900 just arrived today too! w00t!!!
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited October 2003
    Gnomewizardd said
    my slk-900 just arrived today too! w00t!!!

So did my 2nd one. Now to try and tame this fire breathing Dual Barton... :shakehead

BDR: the Sunon 80mm 50cfm fan is a good choice.
    edited October 2003
    Omega, I have to disagree with you. It's a matter of personal preference, but having used 5 Sunon BX6's in my computer for some time, IMO they're too loud for most people. The highest speed 80mm fan I recommend for most people is the KD1208PTB2-6, which does 39cfm. It's still pretty noisy, but not too much to be a problem.
    edited October 2003
    The Sunon Omega refered to is louder than the Mech and pushes less air.
    The one you recommend is just as loud as the Mech but pushes like 30% less air.

I still recommend the Mech as THE BEST 80mm fan.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2003
    What about a radial fan?
    It's been used on the infamous Silverado

Here is a new design.
    Coolermaster Blower Fan

You get rid of the dead zone.
    edited October 2003
    MJO, squirrel cage fans have advantages and disadvantages:

+:
    They produce very high static pressures

-:
    They generate very little airflow for their size compared to axial fans
    They are much noisier for the airflow they generate than a similarly-sized axial fan

However, they do have some uses, and this may be one. The thin fins on the SLKs make them perfect for squirrel cage fans. Take a look at the "AS5 results" (or something like that) thread and you'll see an SLK-800 with two squirrel cage fans on it.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2003
    I did note the small airflow on the radial fan.
    It seems it is the problem with radial fans.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I've been very happy so far with the temps I'm getting using an 80mm fan on my 900a. YS Tech 48.5cfm @ 37dBA. Probably not the best performance/noise ration but does very well with the 900a.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    The first thing I'm going to do is put the TT SF2 I had on my SLK-800 on my SLK-900 tomorrow. tehen I wil compare temps and try the Tornado at various RPM's. Then go try another 92mm fan for comparison. I plan to try all fans blowing in both directions.
    edited October 2003
    mtgoat had this to say
    I plan to try all fans blowing in both directions.

Just so you don't waste time, let me tell you that the SLK works only one way, air being pushed down.
    edited October 2003
    EQuito had this to say
    mtgoat had this to say
    I plan to try all fans blowing in both directions.

Just so you don't waste time, let me tell you that the SLK works only one way, air being pushed down.

EQ,

I have now seen several peps get better results by drawing the air from the H/S and it isn't that time consuming to flip the fan on an SLK.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    I bought a SLk900 and was looking for a fan thats similar in noise to the Mech but is 92mm. Nothing seems as good as the Mech. The 92mm fans around the same dba dont push much more air.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    92mm Panaflo's L1A & M1A line-ups of fans push high CFM's at a nice dBa level.

L1A = 43 CFM @ 27 dBa
    M1A = 48 CFM @ 30 dBa

The only downside? They don't have RPM monitoring (at least the one's that I order don't, the H1A & U1A).
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    92mm Panaflo's L1A & M1A line-ups of fans push high CFM's at a nice dBa level.

Seems as though Equito, Mmonnin, and I are on the same sheet of music for this SLK-fan discussion. I've tried the Panaflo 92mm L1A on my SLK. The Mechatronics 53cfm comes out ahead in lowered temperatures, and was no louder (at least in this computer case). The Panaflo does a have lower decibel rating, but when combined with the other case fans, there was a low rumbling emanating from the case.

Speaking of Panaflos - in system 1 my intake and exhaust fans both Panaflo 120mm L1As; system 2 has two M1A 80mm exhaust and a 92mm M1A intake. Excellent fans. Hmm, later today I may try short-volting a Panaflo 120mm H1A to 9 volts (7 volts makes it simply too wimpy). Anyone have a link for the 9 volt short modding?

MtGoat - I am looking forward to your fan comparison.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    if availible use the orange wires from the p4 connector with the standard 12v...

12-3.3=8.7v

i do this with my sunon 120's

fc
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    Why do you want to take away voltage? It uses 12V right?
    edited November 2003
    Ok, I am almost ready with my fan report. I stayed up too late last night trying to snag a new vid card but it fell through and today was kind of a blur.

Here's what has happened so far.

When I had my SLK-800 w/ TT SF2 @ 3700 RPM while OC'ed to 11.5 x 200 (= 2.3) I was running right at 50 C while folding with an amient room temp of 81 F. I removed my SLK-800 as I had sold it and iwas shipped the other day. I needed something to get me by so I thought it would be a good comparison and installed an AMD "Retail" HS. I was no longer able to OC as my temps went too high for comfort and I re-set my CPU to "Default settings. At the XP2100+ Defailt 1.73 I was @ 48 C folding. Today I installed my new SLK-900 and put the same TT SM2 on it and ran the same 3700 RPM's I was so I could see if there was any difference. I finally got the room to the same 81 F I used for an ambient room temp and was delighted to see 36 C for my new temp while folding @ stock speed (1.73). I then set my CPU back to 11.5 x 200 (= 2.3) and with the same 3600 RPM I am @ 47 C folding. That is a 3 degree C improvement over the SLK-800 w/ the same fan @ the same RPM! I will continue with more and chart it tomorrow if the day lets me.
    edited November 2003
    mtgoat had this to say
    I then set my CPU back to 11 x 200 (= 2.3) and with the same 3600 RPM I am @ 47 C folding. That is a 3 degree C improvement over the SLK-800 w/ the same fan @ the same RPM! I will continue with more and chart it tomorrow if the day lets me.

11 x 200 = 2.2 ;)

47c seems a bit high, what are the specs on that TT SF2 fan?
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    i LOVE my manual adjust enermax 92mm fan
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    i love this place. A seriously good discussion of a simple thing like fans, with all these experts talking about their various experiences, gone to two pages and 27 posts. So much information. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:
    edited November 2003
    EQuito had this to say
    mtgoat had this to say
    I then set my CPU back to 11 x 200 (= 2.3) and with the same 3600 RPM I am @ 47 C folding. That is a 3 degree C improvement over the SLK-800 w/ the same fan @ the same RPM! I will continue with more and chart it tomorrow if the day lets me.

11 x 200 = 2.2 ;)

47c seems a bit high, what are the specs on that TT SF2 fan?
    OOPS!!!
    I fixed it. Ireally did mean 11.5 x 200.

I don't have that SF2 tuned up. It is only running @ 3700 RPM and is the same 80mm that I have had up to 5100 RPM. I was just using that as a reference point because that is where the last good speed without much noise. I also expect the AS-3 to set in a few days dropping it a little more too. Also don't forget that is a fairly warm ambient temp I am working with too and it has been high humidity on top of it. Humidity really plays a big role in temp reduction.
    edited November 2003
    I understand Larry, the only reason I was asking is because we're almost at the same speed and FSB. I don't know my room temp but my case temp is 25c (77f) atm and my CPU temp is 39c full load w/ F@H running
    edited November 2003
    I am running 29 C (1 degree C higher than ambient) for case temp so it is probably right in line with yours but different environment.