Buy a barton now or wait for the 64's ...?

edited July 2003 in Hardware
It is definitely upgrade time for me... but i dont know if i should just buy a barton and a Abit NF7-s v2.0 ...
or just wait to buy a 64 and a mobo that supports that...

i currently have a 1.4 tbird and i wanna hear what some of you guys would do.

Thanks

Comments

• dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    I'm waiting on the Athlon 64s. If i upgrade now, ill have a cutting edge machine, but it wont be when the 64s come out, so Id rather wait and get a total upgrade when the 64s are here.

The Athlon 64s will be really expensive on release though, so you might have to wait for prices to start to drop.

Its really up to you. Do you need a more powerful machine now? Does it do what you want it to? If it does, then upgrading can wait.

Either way, im gonna wait for them.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    what is your ballpark figure for initial price... and then how long till it drops you think...?

and for that we gonna need new mobo's, right?
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Yep new mobos will be required. If you look at the Opterons they use socket 904 which isnt pin compatible with socket 462 in any way.

About 6 months after release, prices should start to drop. Initial prices will probably be very high though probably in the region of $500 a pop.

Clock speeds wont be too amazing either, but dont be fooled by this, since were talking about 64bit here, the Athlon 64 will process twice as much per clock cycle.

Were talking total system overhauls with this new technology. Decent quality high speed DDR RAM, SATA disks in RAIDs, and PCI-X graphics boards will be required to take advantage.

To reap the benefits of the 64bit mode of the CPU, a 64bit OS will be required. Windows XP Pro will be recompiled for use with the Athlon 64.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    is Kingston HyperX PC3500 or Corsair PC3500 Cas 2.0 good enuf?

and what exactly is a pci-x graphics card? are they only the recent ones?

and what clock speeds are you anticipating at breakout... just wondering.. i know it doesnt directly translate to speed...?
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Opteron runs arround 1.8GHz so the Athlon 64 should be at about that speed, probably slightly higher on release.

The next generation of graphics card will stop using AGP as it is dated and slow, and will move to the PCI Express interface. The next generation ATI boards will be availible in AGP, but theyll just have a PCI Express to AGP bridge system on board. AGP will be gradually phased out over the next year or two.

That memory should work just fine with the Athlon 64.

Hope this helps.

mD

EDIT: Stoopid mistakes :D
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    AFAIK, the opteron is @ 1.4-1.8GHz...

I don't think you're gonna see PCI-X graphics... PCI Express cards are the next generation for both ATi and Nvidia, and I seriously doubt they're going to make PCI-X cards, as PCI-X is a server/workstation standard, and it's a lot slower than PCI Express anyhow.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    oops thats what I meant.

Its late, im tired, need sleep.

Sorry about that, got 2 things mixed up.

mD
    edited June 2003
    np... we all do it from time to time...
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Don't worry pci express want be showing up any time soon onboard. It is all up to if you need the upgrade now, what do you basically use your computer for? Go by what your needs are, and then think "do I really need an upgrade now" if you think out an upgrade and just don't go on an impulse by you can save some money in the long run.
  • edited June 2003
    well, im definitely buying a new monitor... a hd ... new case ... new ram... those i know i need now...

since i was at it... i thought i would just upgrade the whole bundle...

im still kinda torn...

thanks for all the help btw!
    edited June 2003
    if u posted the complete specs of your current system, what you use it for, and how much you have to spend, I could give you a more relevant recommendation...
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited June 2003
    You can Still upgrade Case, Moniter and HD now, and then get the rest when 64 bit arrives. This splits the cost too!
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Good idea PyobliE.

Get a decent case with a good PSU, a TFT, and maybe sling some RAM in your old computer since RAM is dirt cheap, and youll get a slight short term boost in performance, and the long term benefit of a foundation for a kick ass system.

mD
  • edited June 2003
    sounds like a plan ....

anyone know when the 64 is coming out?
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Athlon 64 hs been put back to September, due to problems implementing SOI, and the fact that AMD has to get decent yeilds off it wafers before releasing a major product so that it can keep costs down and keep the supply constant.

Good thing is though, the 64 will be DDR400 rather than DDR333 at this later release date, and we can expect more core optimisations too.

mD
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by dydx
    Good idea PyobliE.

mD

Wow - I helped! Yippee! :D
  • edited June 2003
    so i guess ill stick with my 1.4 tbird for now...

and hopefully buy the 64 around christmas time.... i can wait until then...

thanks for the help guys!!

torque
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Good choice. You wont regret waiting to join the 64bit massives :D
  • edited June 2003
    hope i wont... thanks again :D

u think around december - january it will be doable? cuz thats how im hardwiring my thoughts :p
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    By Dec-Jan, AMD will be getting decent yeilds, and therfore prices will drop, and make the new platform more afordable.

mD
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by Torque
    It is definitely upgrade time for me... but i dont know if i should just buy a barton and a Abit NF7-s v2.0 ...
    or just wait to buy a 64 and a mobo that supports that...

i currently have a 1.4 tbird and i wanna hear what some of you guys would do.

Thanks

IMO Grab a Barton and a NF2 Ultra400 motheboard.
    You're not going to want a Athlon 64 until they reach 2.0ghz or better, And as of right now an A64 3100+ = 1.80ghz

You can match that right now with a Barton 2500+ running at FSB400 2.0 - 2.1ghz
  • edited June 2003
    how long u think till they reach 2.0 ghz or better... cuz i was thinking i could last until christmas time... and if its by then... thats cool for me... if not, i might just grab the barton and the nf7 v2....

?
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    You can expect A64 3400+ at launch.

mD
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Don't forget as mentioned earlier that since it will be 64 based you will need a lot of changes including O/S and some software. Given all the changes required and all the other changes taking place in the not too distant future there will be a lot to consider down the road. Also since we are talking the first of a new generation price will take a little longer to drop. Since newer = better and the first few steppings will be the earliest of the new I would wait till it is a little more common. This will include more availability of other H/W and S/W too, which will come down as time goes by. I agree with Omega to just get an NT7, Barton and new memory now.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    The AMD64 platform, unlike the IA64, is designed for perfect compatability and aggressive performance with 32bit applications, whilst laying the foundations for the furure which is going to be 64bit.

Take the 386 for example, ran all the 16bit software and hardware just fine.

mD
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by dydx
    The AMD64 platform, unlike the IA64, is designed for perfect compatability and aggressive performance with 32bit applications, whilst laying the foundations for the furure which is going to be 64bit.

Take the 386 for example, ran all the 16bit software and hardware just fine.

mD

I do agree but just got a little carried away!;) I would still wait though since I don't want to be a high priced guinnea pig! First on my block isn't always a priority since it pays to wait on occasion.:cool:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The prices are going to be fun in the UK. Not only does it cost hell of alot more to start with, it also takes alot longer to drop in price. Yipee.

NS
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Also remember the first CPUs (& motherboards) sold tend to be poor Overclockers.

Also if you aren't running a 64bit capable OS your A64 will act just like a 1MB Cache Athlon XP (not necessarily a bad thing...)

The reports I read today say a 3100+ (1.80ghz) & 3400+ (2.00ghz?) will be available at launch in Aug. So the prices will be at or above P4 prices of that speed. (>$400)
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    I'm not sure about this right now. I think I might wait until the Athlon 64 comes out for my next upgrade
  • edited June 2003
    well i know that microsoft is making a 64 bit xp pro... or so i read...

and when you say
    Don't forget as mentioned earlier that since it will be 64 based you will need a lot of changes including O/S and some software. Given all the changes required and all the other changes taking place in the not too distant future there will be a lot to consider down the road. Also since we are talking the first of a new generation price will take a little longer to drop. Since newer = better and the first few steppings will be the earliest of the new I would wait till it is a little more common. This will include more availability of other H/W and S/W too, which will come down as time goes by. I agree with Omega to just get an NT7, Barton and new memory now.

To this i have two questions...

1. What new hardware besides a new mobo would u need...? I doubt you'd need new ram or new hd's or anything like that... but i could be wrong. Maybe a new printer?:D

2. When the 32 bit stuff came out.. it ran the 16 bit software and the like... Why wouldn't the 64 run the 32 and 16 bit s/w... i know we cant be sure.. but i dont see why it wouldn't be backwards compatible...

thanks