An embarassment to PC!

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited August 2007 in Hardware
I'm going to have another final rant about my PC, to see if anyone can help at all >.<

Here's my specs:
3.06GHz Celeron D
2x1GB 400MHz DDR RAM chips
nVidia 7600GT PCI-E
160GB HDD

For World of Warcraft, you'd expect about... 40-60fps for that, no? Guess what I get? Anything from 1-25, never more than 15 in combat and 7 if I'm lucky in raids. And why? Don't even MENTION drives, they're all up to date, there were 3 IRQs on 1 channel, including my graphics card, one has been resolved, one can't be. Other than that, I have a slow-ish internet connection, about 1000kbps without wow running. BUT, I took a 3Dmark 2006 test, you know what my result was?
"Systems with a lower result than you: 0"
"Systems with a similar result to you: 0"

I NOW have a problem that my CD drive can't see any kind of writeable disk, any previous backups I have made: no show, and backups I want to make, it ejects the disk tray and asks me to insert a disk.

halp halp halp halp and HALP >.< And that can be given is greatly appreciated and I will probably love you for the rest of my life if any suggested fixes actually work.
Thanks again, much-frustrated and underperforming,
Harudath

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Have you reformatted? I normally don't suggest this right off, but I recall the litany of ineffective fixes in your old thread.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Formatted... 5-6 times since the performance dropped
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I would agree with Thrax
    edited August 2007
    Well, formatting - ineffective.
    edited August 2007
    Have you cleared your CMOS? Tested your RAM and hard drive with the appropriate tools? Swapped in a new video card? Ran the computer outside of its case?
    edited August 2007
    not sure what the last one would do, All I can think of is CMOS stands for Cheesy Molten Orange Stuff and I'm not sure what to test my HDD and RAM with. Tried putting my old card in and I got bluescreen restart chains >.<
    edited August 2007
    Thanks :D I'll be posting again tomorrow with more whining :D Gunna do these tests first.
    edited August 2007
    Thrax wrote:

Oh, wait, HALP I cant do the memtest test because I have no floppy drive and my CD drive doesn't work, as explained above... What can I do? *kicks computer out of window*
    edited August 2007
    Burn the CD on another computer; I bet your CD-ROM works in DOS.
    edited August 2007
    We don't have another computer :'( I can try a friend's house but that won't happen for several days. Damn this hunk of crap I call a Pc
    edited August 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Burn the CD on another computer; I bet your CD-ROM works in DOS.

..Would a USB stick work?
    edited August 2007
    Not unless you know how to make a USB stick bootable.
    edited August 2007
    Weell... My USB stick is weird, I think I CAN boot from it but I dunno how, It's a U3 one
    edited August 2007
    Since I can't test anything for now.. any help with the anti-home-made-CD-drive I have?
    edited August 2007
    Are there any exclamation points in your device manager?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2007
    Your cpu is slow.

Also what motherboard do you have ?.
    edited August 2007
    His CPU is plenty fast for WOW; a retarded monkey could run WoW.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    What video resolution are you trying to run at? And do you have anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering on?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    whats the story with ur power supply? Low power can cause slow Pc I also agree wit shwaip
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    shwaip wrote:
    What video resolution are you trying to run at? And do you have anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering on?

I just recalled I do have issues myself when I run antialiasing in this game, it simply does not like it especially with certain popups on my system which tell me various things such as switching between AC and battery. Or simply moving between windows... I run it fine without AA though.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    All I can think of is CMOS stands for Cheesy Molten Orange Stuff
    Have your Mac friends been talking tech with you? Actually, the official Apple term for the CMOS acronym is Cute Molten Orange Stuff.

And now, to make this post legitimate:

You really should check the card settings just like RWB and Schwaip recommended. Older vid cards have a terrible time sometimes with advanced settings.
    edited August 2007
    Card settings, Every-Single-Setting is set for maximum performance, Anitotropic and antialiasing: off, all other settings set for max performance, including in the advanced options, my motherboard is an GA-8S649MF And I dunno how to check my power supply >.< Device manager seems to be fine and I cant think of anything else
    edited August 2007
    Turn the performance anti-aliasing and anisotropic filter down. The see what your frame rates are.

At this point, don't be concerned with the power supply unit (PSU). We'll take a look at that later if it's necessary.
    edited August 2007
    Well, they're off so I dunno what to do
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Older vid cards have a terrible time sometimes with advanced settings.

I'd hardly consider a 7600GT an older card... unless it's a faulty card, I have a feeling it should be able to handle WoW very well...

Is the performance generally poor throughout all tasks, or is it just in WoW?

Also, I'd recommend you check your virtual memory settings and post them here.
    edited August 2007
    I'd hardly consider a 7600GT an older card
    oops I wouldn't consider it 'older' either. I should have paid more attention to the starting post. I agree, WOW on higher settings should play nicely with his video card.
    edited August 2007
    Well, when I changed from my 6200SE to my 7600GT, I could play most areas with few players on max detail, unlike before, but in raids with more than 5 players I was back to 5 fps. Faulty card?
    edited August 2007
    "Total Paging File size for all Drives: 2046MB"
    edited August 2007
    Well, so far I cant be sure it's my graphics card that's buggered, so if I ask for a refund will they just give it to me if I say it;s not working properly? xD