An embarassment to PC!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Yes, if you bought it online and it's within its RMA/warranty.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Awesome, I'll look into it. If that doesn't solve it I swear I'll take a hammer to my PC
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2007
    If you bought it localy they will likely tell you to rma it your self becuase theres probably nothing wrong with it.

I have a feeling your XP is just bloated :p.

Do a fresh install disable every service you don't need and isntall the latest drivers FOR EVERYTHING from the manufactuer of the parts. (example via chipset get the chipset drivers from via)
    edited August 2007
    I have the SiS649 chipset... no driver exists for it >.> I'm not entirely sure what you mean and I got it online at komplett.co.uk, so all should be fine, no?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited August 2007
    Your performance problem might even just lie there sis's chipsets are very lousy.

Im not sure about current ones but back in the early 2000's sis's chipsets could be up to over 30% slower then machines with intel's in the same benchmarks.

edit:

Install this
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    GrayFox, tone it down a little, OK?

Harudath, SIS chipsets are not "really lousy," rather they are at the lower end of the performance scale and are marketed for 'budget' motherboards. GrayFox may be right, in that the motherboard chipset might be having an impact on video performance, I just don't know how much. For the majority of video games, the most important hardware is the video card and system RAM.
    edited August 2007
    I took a look at the download you linked me, I'll quote the supported chipset list:

SiSM650, SiSM760, SiSM741, SiS655FX, SiS655, SiS651, SiS650GX, SiS648MX, SiS648FX, SiS648, SiS645DX, SiS650GL, SiS650, SiS645, SiS635, SiS760, SiS755FX, SiS755, SiS748, SiS746FX, SiS746, SiS745, SiS741GX, SiS741, SiS740, SiS735, SiS661FX, SiS655TX, SiSM661FX, SiSM661MX,

I can't see a SiS649 listed. Does that mean that if I install it then my PC will get schmugged, or will it not make a difference?
    edited August 2007
    The SiS649 chipset does not have or require drivers.
    edited August 2007
    Well, I knew about the not having any bit... Aww crap, I was searching for a new mobo anyway to go with a Core 2 Duo I was planning to upgrade to.

Edit:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=329410

Reckon it's a good deal? Since the Processor I want to go with it has 1333MHz Bus.
    edited August 2007
    Stress tested my RAM, that works fine, nothing wrong with that. I still can't test my hdd. I neve thought about the power supply thing, how do I check, change and know if it's too low to be making a difference? I also noticed recently, that if I have ONLY the game environment around me, no players whatsoever, I get up to 80 fps, as soon as players are near it drops dramatically... I also discovered that my friend who has a worse system but higher fps around players has more than 5000kbps more speed than I do... Could this be the cause?

My reasoning is that with so many players around the information can't get to my PC fast enough to display a decent picture... Is this true or am I being retarded again :D
    edited August 2007
    Hmm, I'll link my IRQ list

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT OK
    IRQ 16 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
    IRQ 17 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller OK
    IRQ 18 Realtek AC'97 Audio OK
    IRQ 19 SiS191 1000/100/10 Ethernet Device OK
    IRQ 20 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 20 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
    IRQ 21 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 22 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 23 SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller OK

Now, how many of these will be causing my system to be crap? Considering that the Graphics card is sharing an IRQ, I think that might be part of the problem.
    edited August 2007
    IRQ sharing is no longer an issue; hasn't been for about half a decade.
    edited August 2007
    Okay, brb, jumping off a cliff.

What the HELL is wrong with this thing then >.< Everything's working fine, I can't find a single thing wrong with this except the graphics card, maybe.

Was playing Medieval 2: total war, if I face the massive city I get riddiculously low fps, if I angle the camera away from the city the fps goes back up again. All those in favour of a faulty card?
    edited August 2007
    Well, no, one more thing to try. How do I check the power supply, what should it be at for a 7600GT and how can I change it if needed?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    How are your cpu temps? You could be running too hot, making the CPU throttle to a lower speed.
    edited August 2007
    shwaip wrote:
    How are your cpu temps? You could be running too hot, making the CPU throttle to a lower speed.

83 degrees C atm
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    83C or 83F?

On that CPU, 83C is way to hot. What are you using to measure the temp?
    edited August 2007
    SiS Software Sandra, and 83C
    edited August 2007
    Holy ****, if it says 83C, that's about 43C too hot.

http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

Please download core temp and report back with what it says are your CPU temps. SiSoft is either wrong, or you have a serious problem.
    edited August 2007
    That isn't going to be the most accurate.

I don't think the Celeron's work in Coretemp... but you can try.

Get it here: http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

The 0.95 version sometimes crashes things so you may need the 0.94 version.

EDIT: HAHAHA great minds Brudda Thrax :D:beer:
    edited August 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    That isn't going to be the most accurate.

I don't think the Celeron's work in Coretemp... but you can try.

Get it here: http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

The 0.95 version sometimes crashes things so you may need the 0.94 version.

EDIT: HAHAHA great minds Brudda Thrax :D:beer:

"This is not an intel processor, the setup cannot contiune" Also graphics card is running at 70C
    edited August 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    SiSoft is either wrong, or you have a serious problem.

Second option
    edited August 2007
    Well, I have 2 fans, and a metal case, in the summer, doesn't bode well methinks
    edited August 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    "This is not an intel processor, the setup cannot contiune" Also graphics card is running at 70C
    Coretemp gives you that error?

Coretemp works on AMD processor's, plus a Celeron is an Intel processor. Must be that it doesn't support anything older than "Core" CPU's....weird.

Try Speedfan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
    edited August 2007
    take the side of the case off, see how much that helps temps.
    Check for dust in the heatsink.

Put a large fan blowing in to the case (with the side off), and see how much that helps.

If none of that works, you'll need to take the heatsink off, clean it and the processor, and apply some new thermal compound.
    edited August 2007
    shwaip wrote:

Put a large fan blowing in to the case (with the side off), and see how much that helps.

If none of that works, you'll need to take the heatsink off, clean it and the processor, and apply some new thermal compound.

Awesome, I have to take the ENTIRE case off, not just the side, the heatsinc is stuck this ****ed up funnel that I have that takes teh air straight from the outside of the case to the CPU and I don't have any therman compound. WAHOO :D Installing the temp thing now
    edited August 2007
    shwaip wrote:

HOLY CRAP
    My harddrive, apparently, is running at *gulps* 250 C
    edited August 2007
    Harudath wrote:
    HOLY CRAP
    My harddrive, apparently, is running at *gulps* 250 C

no, it's not.
    edited August 2007
    Erm, well, according to this it is :confused:
    WTF.PNG 210.2K
    edited August 2007
    No it isn't, because if it was really 253C, you'd be melting the plastics and turning the mercury in the electronics into a liquid.

Either way, you have a ridiculous case ventilation issue. Please open your case, clean it out, and place an upright fan blowing into the case at full speed.